Unofficial R9 Fury X reviews master post.

marldorthegreat

I see quite a bit of bashing on amd but no one speaks about how the foundation for the drivers of the 980ti and titan started back in 2014 given them months to get the most out of their cards. Does no one rember 680 and 7970 ? Correct me if Im wrong here but i recall something similar the 7970 was trading blows with 680's but didnt smash it and the 680 was still regarded as the "king" and with a driver it gained a lot of ground. Give Amd the same time and im sure u will get performance increases

AMDs drivers are shit compared to NV.  Been that way for years and every year people are like "oh drivers will make it better".  Nope.  Took them 6 f-ing months to fix their frame metering problems last year.  Their control panel screams their codebase is 10 years old and it's just patches on top of patches where one commit causes new regressions.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Even tho people are disappointed with fury-x, you cant buy one online atm. With stock being sold out, I have to wait another month to start gaming again. This really blows, I'm two years behind on gaming at it is. 

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

Costs $900 in Romania : http://www.pcgarage.ro/placi-video/sapphire/radeon-r9-fury-x-4gb-hbm-4096-bit/ (in stock)

Just a little bit more expensive than a 980Ti which is like $850.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

AMDs drivers are shit compared to NV.  Been that way for years and every year people are like "oh drivers will make it better".  Nope.  Took them 6 f-ing months to fix their frame metering problems last year.  Their control panel screams their codebase is 10 years old and it's just patches on top of patches where one commit causes new regressions.

And that's the issue with AMD drivers. It's not that the drivers themselves are bad, in fact they are quite stable. It's the time AMD users have to wait in order to get performance drivers and fixes. Although, to be fair AMD always had better frame pacing for single cards, long before the crossfire frame pacing issue arose. but again, it took forever for a crossfire fix, which was ultimately in vain because Crossfire support is non existent these days for new games.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I think I may pick one up when EKWB has a block out for it.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

LOL Luke said the card was D.O.A. yet I distinctly remember Linus dropping it outside of the new office he probably did brick it then

I doubt that killed the card.

Looking around on reviews right now and it seems to trade blows with the reference 980 Ti except at 1080p where the GTX gets the slight edge. The cards cost the same but I haven't looked into overclocking yet. The Fury X is smaller but you might get an annoying humming noise and it uses more power.

Not that impressed since it doesn't seem to match the 980 Ti in terms of value (not that either card is a good value).

I've said it before and I've said it again, never buy into hype and never trust numbers straight from the manufacturer. This seems to be shaping up to be a good example of people getting disappointed just because they didn't follow those 2 things.

I wonder how many times people need to get burned to start taking the advice seriously.

Hey hey hey thats not fair now since you brought up Maxwell  ;)

I didn't brought up Maxwell2 to compare video cards, but to compare architectures

The last few drivers from NVIDIA have been nothing but crash fests. Folks are rolling back to 350 versions to try and get some stability.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/847580/geforce-drivers/official-nvidia-353-30-whql-game-ready-display-driver-feedback-thread-released-2015-06-22-/

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Lol I absolutely love that the card was DOA for LMG. Classic. What a pile of shit. AMD should just sell to another company that knows what they are doing. 

Lol I absolutely love that the card was DOA for LMG. Classic. What a pile of shit. AMD should just sell to another company that knows what they are doing. 

DOA happens to any one. My Titan X was DOA, stuff like that happens. It's rare, but happens.

The last few drivers from NVIDIA have been nothing but crash fests. Folks are rolling back to 350 versions to try and get some stability.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/847580/geforce-drivers/official-nvidia-353-30-whql-game-ready-display-driver-feedback-thread-released-2015-06-22-/

Yep, I'm still on 350.12 for a reason.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I was honestly excited about the Fury X, but this is hilarious. Seems like the 980 Ti will continue to be the dominant GPU. It's a pity really, I expected more of a fight from AMD, especially since the R9 300 series is nothing new. Any chance of the Fury (non-X) get faster than the X? I know that AMD said the X is faster, but they also thought they could take down nVidia with this card. Any idea what the difference in performance between the two will be? 

DOA happens to any one. My Titan X was DOA, stuff like that happens. It's rare, but happens.

This is a review sample given to top level youtube/internet reviewers to show how bad ass their cards are. It's not just some random guy that bought a bad card. This is just hilarious. AMD is doing such a shitty job right now, their company is laughable. Also my titan x works flawlessly. 

I was honestly excited about the Fury X, but this is hilarious. Seems like the 980 Ti will continue to be the dominant GPU. It's a pity really, I expected more of a fight from AMD, especially since the R9 300 series is nothing new. Any chance of the Fury (non-X) get faster than the X? I know that AMD said the X is faster, but they also thought they could take down nVidia with this card. Any idea what the difference in performance between the two will be? 

if it is not a cut down die then yes, if it is cut down not that likely. or if manufacturers can use custom PCB/cooling on the furyX then we may see a good jump in performance.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

This is a review sample given to top level youtube/internet reviewers to show how bad ass their cards are. It's not just some random guy that bought a bad card. This is just hilarious. AMD is doing such a shitty job right now, their company is laughable. 

DOA's happen doesn't matter who the intended recipient is. Could have taken a few knocks to many, and even Linus dropped out the side of his car.

It's always funny for doom sayers, forgetting that Intel and NVIDIA will be broken up by the FTC under monopoly laws if they go belly up. All that happens is consumers suffer.

Bet it was working before Linus dropped it :lol:

The retailers in the UK took advantage of the hype, charging £650 for one when the RRP is £509.99.

It's always funny for doom sayers, forgetting that Intel and NVIDIA will be broken up by the FTC under monopoly laws if they go belly up. All that happens is consumers suffer.

Nvidia won't, but Intel will.

The FTC are retarded enough to consider Intel legitimate competition for Nvidia because "they make GPUs", citing their iGPU.

Which is why you see Nvidia plowing ahead while Intel are being extremely conservative all the time.

And Nvidia totally wants to be Apple. It's why I want off their ship.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

there it be.

Why is the 780Ti is behind the 290X in so many of those graphs... 3GB of VRAM not enough for the benchmarked games?

Even if the Fury X doesn't outright beat the 980Ti, at least it contributes to throwing the overpriced Titan X out of the market. (I take it Nvidia can still sell 700-series Titans, Titan Blacks and Titan Zs for a while to those who want the double precision floating point performance.)

I kinda question the decision to disallow other cooling solutions for the Fury X (unless the Fury -somehow- ends up not too far behind the Fury X, which I don't think is likely). Would be nice to be able to buy a video card with an empty full-cover water block already installed, ready to be incorporated into your custom loop (or can you already do that?). Most of the time, you end up having to pay for, and then not use, the cooler that came with your card.

This is a review sample given to top level youtube/internet reviewers to show how bad ass their cards are. It's not just some random guy that bought a bad card. This is just hilarious. AMD is doing such a shitty job right now, their company is laughable. Also my titan x works flawlessly. 

Somehow I get the feeling that even after "selling to a new company" your perception of "ex-AMD" wouldn't change at all. But thanks for playing.

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

Bet it was working before Linus dropped it :lol:

The retailers in the UK took advantage of the hype, charging £650 for one when the RRP is £509.99.

Typical of OcUK though. I got my two EVGA Superclocked 980Ti's  at £539 each, £10 under RRP because I ordered from Germany. While OcUK were asking £600 for one.

Which is why you see Nvidia plowing ahead while Intel are being extremely conservative all the time.

And Nvidia totally wants to be Apple. It's why I want off their ship.

I've tried multiple times in the past. Before getting a GTX 980 and changing cards again, I was using two AMD FirePro D700's Decent cards, left behind by lack up updates and drivers.

I was really hoping the Fury X would beat out the 980Ti on launch, but sadly that's not the case. Here's hoping their drivers for the card improve as much as it did with the 7970/280X and 290X/390X.

Somehow I get the feeling that even after "selling to a new company" your perception of "ex-AMD" wouldn't change at all. But thanks for playing.

My previous build is an 8350 with a 7990. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about, but thanks for playing. 

My previous build is an 8350 with a 7990. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about, but thanks for playing. 

lpPixkb.gif

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

Why is the 780Ti is behind the 290X in so many of those graphs... 3GB of VRAM not enough for the benchmarked games?

Because the 290x has much better drivers now, showing how good the bare metal and silicone actually is. The 290x should always have been better than the 780 Ti, just took a while for it to materialize.