Unofficial R9 Fury X reviews master post.

marldorthegreat

Yep that was facepalm worthy. Especially after Lisa Sue called it an overclocking monster, and they talked about giving an overbuilt cooler rated for 500watts to aid overclockers etc. And then they couldn't unlock the voltage in time LOL.

Now that I think about it, this might be why the Fury comes out so much later than Fury X. Because if they unlock the voltage for Fiji in time for Fury reviews, reviewers are going to have to mention the change in Fury X performance in the Fury review. Essentially AMD buying time to polish said driver. Wouldn't much surprise me but I'll keep waiting.

At least I know for sure now that I'm getting one or the other, so I'll be paying that Freesync monitor now :P

Didn't or couldn't?  Pretty sure every reviewer, except LMG, would have called AMD and informed them that they need to OC it now.

IDK man...For now I am off that ride anyways till Fury X lauch version 2 the "we got our act together" edition.

The memory is locked for a reason, I don't expect that to change, but they can't market an 'overclocker's dream' and have only 100mhz headroom on the GPU. Not only that, but the Fury non-X is coming, and if clock speed range is that small, board partners won't bother because they can't set themselves apart from the competition. Let's just wait and see, there's no reason for the GPU itself to stay locked.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Didn't or couldn't? Pretty sure every reviewer, except LMG, would have called AMD and informed them that they need to OC it now.

IDK man...For now I am off that ride anyways till Fury X lauch version 2 the "we got our act together" edition.

I think they have to enable voltage changes via the driver. And they could not get it done in time. Which is not a huge deal at launch time. But it's a bit lame considering the fact that AMD promoted the card as an overclock monster, and then asking people to wait longer for OC results.

I hope that overclocking really does open it up a bit. I am skeptical that it will have the overclocking headroom that the recent Nvidia cards have though. I want AMD to win out sooo bad.

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B

This card was supposed to be priced at around 800 and compete with Titan X. But then 980ti showed up and they had to cut the price. Nvidia did pretty good here. Haha

So much for being called as Titan killer tho. "Hunting titans".

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

I only give credit to AMD because they didn't postponed the release of the card like NVIDIA did with the TitanZ because they were trying to improve the drivers to try to beat the R9 295X2.

But if they didn't do it, then such details cannot go unnoticed... first impressions are everything, and they showed a incomplete product on the software side... at least a exclusive driver for Reviewrs with unlocked voltages, with the due warning for the common mortals that it can kill their card (if that's the case, and what is preventing them).

We all know it will improve.

I expected more. We all did.

They should have sucked it up, put the cone of shame, and say "the drivers are not quite there yet." and delay the release.

Only the ones with 2 year warranty. All the ones with 3 year warranty are £599.

That is Greedy retailers jacking up the price of the card because of short supply

the retail price of the card is £509, They are just taking advantage of the situation to make a few extra quid.

If there was descent supply of these cards they would all be selling at £509 and even some at discount, especially from larger retailers who have massive buying power and get these card significantly cheaper than what we pay for them.

The extra warranty may account for maybe a little price increase but not £50, it pure retailer greed.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

Now that I think about it, this might be why the Fury comes out so much later than Fury X. Because if they unlock the voltage for Fiji in time for Fury reviews, reviewers are going to have to mention the change in Fury X performance in the Fury review. Essentially AMD buying time to polish said driver. Wouldn't much surprise me but I'll keep waiting.

At least I know for sure now that I'm getting one or the other, so I'll be paying that Freesync monitor now :P

The way this is going fury may end up as the better buy. With a decent air cooler stock performance should be the same as fury x as neither card is throttling. But at a cheaper price point... The main selling point of fury x has to be the overkill water cooler. How much that comes into play depends on the OC headroom.

I think they have to enable voltage changes via the driver. And they could not get it done in time. Which is not a huge deal at launch time. But it's a bit lame considering the fact that AMD promoted the card as an overclock monster, and then asking people to wait longer for OC results.

speaking of drivers I cant finds drivers for it on AMD site, I bet the BETA drivers are not out to the public yet.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Yea it's gonna be a long wait. Pascal might come close. But card these days only get 30fps++ on crysis 3. Until the day when I can see a card run a crysis title at 4K 60fps I'll consider 4K gaming a "thing"  ;)

I waited 3 years before I gave into 1440p. Might be a while before I dive into 4k. Pascal comes out in 2016?

nVidia kinda' gives a shit about their customers when they show time and time again they're ready to pony up for 1000$ video cards

but, for AMD .. it was a serious blow to them

I hope this does not hurt AMD. I wish the market had room for one more GPU company instead only 2.

This card is the same price as the 980 Ti in the USA. I will probably buy Two of these cards in a couple months to go with the IPS Freesync monitor I want for my second PC. 

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

I waited 3 years before I gave into 1440p. Might be a while before I dive into 4k

Have no fear, even with 4K available, 1440p is the sweet spot  ;) probably for a long time.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

So , is ti any good ? I havent got my head around all the reviews yet ...

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

980ti is good, yes.

For Fiji it looks like the fury non-x will be better because of same stock performance for less money and a decent 3rd party air cooler. Fury x loses benchmarks to 980ti except at 4K, and AMD hasn't enabled voltage unlocking yet so the overclocking is very limited. 980ti appears a better buy for now.

980ti is good, yes.

For Fiji it looks like the fury non-x will be better because of same stock performance for less money

Well the Fury is cut down by about 9%-12%. It'll be the 980 killer, but probably not challenge the three halo cards.

I feel like AMD renamed (what was supposed to be the actual 390X) to Fury X just for the sake of competing with the Titan series (if it was a competition to begin with). I don't know if it's a driver issue, but so far the graphs doesn't look as impressive as it sounded like.

My initial reaction after reading techpowerup and PCper's reviews = disappointment. :( It's "OK" but I really expected more. Hopefully drivers can help improve performance a bit more. 

It's competitive at 4k (and BTW, looks like 4GB of HBM Vram is not a problem for this), but it's like AMD forgot about 1080 and 1440 performance...

Well, one thing is for sure; I'm sticking with my 290 for at least another year. ;) 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Yea the 980ti is a good card for the enthusiast  Especially if the additional cost and limited flexibility of g-sync able monitors isn't a concern. (It probably is for most.)

It was fun testing this card in my personal rig :)

Did you get all of the womenz?

That a boy Blue. :D

I'm not interested in 4k. I'm still waiting for a single gpu card that can do 4k at or over 60fps min. I will be waiting for a while. Hopefully 3-5 years.

It would be better to buy the 980 Ti in the long run. AMD fanboys will buy the fury X. They probably even pre-ordered even though we're not allowed to pre-order games but is ok to pre-order gpu's. Makes sense right.

Yup Nvidia screwed over their own customers and AMD in the process of releasing the 980 Ti.

Yeah, its a really big disappointment that Fury X doesn't just shit all over 980Ti because then the would have been price drops and possibly a new card from Nvidia, but that's not going to happen now. In the UK the reference card got a pretty significant price drop, but meh its a reference card.

I feel like AMD renamed (what was supposed to be the actual 390X) to Fury X just for the sake of competing with the Titan series (if it was a competition to begin with). I don't know if it's a driver issue, but so far the graphs doesn't look as impressive as it sounded like.

That's exactly what happened lol. In all honesty they shouldn't have done that, I think people would be slightly more forgiving that it doesn't quite match the TITAN X if this was just a "regular" card like an R9 390X.

I only give credit to AMD because they didn't postponed the release of the card like NVIDIA did with the TitanZ because they were trying to improve the drivers to try to beat the R9 295X2.

But if they didn't do it, then such details cannot go unnoticed... first impressions are everything, and they showed a incomplete product on the software side... at least a exclusive driver for Reviewrs with unlocked voltages, with the due warning for the common mortals that it can kill their card.

We all know it will improve.

I expected more. We all did.

They should have sucked it up, put the cone of shame, and say "the drivers are not quite there yet." and delay the release.

But we don't know how much more performance we will get from later drivers. It might be a very big increase, or it might be next to nothing. I mean, it's not really a new architecture so I doubt we will see a huge jump. I don't think people should get their hopes up because they might just end up getting burned (again).

Anyway, I think the poll where people said they were not disappointed with the Fury X before we even had the results shows that there is a very strong bias in favor of AMD on this forum. Twice as many people voted that the Fury X was not a disappointment compared to the people who voted it was, when neither group had sufficient evidence to make a proper judgement.

Can we all agree on that and stop with the "baww this forum hates AMD for no reason" posts that appears all the time? Please?

I don't think delaying the card would have been a good idea. It already seems pretty late to the party.

For Fiji it looks like the fury non-x will be better because of same stock performance for less money and a decent 3rd party air cooler.

Well the Fury is cut down by about 9%-12%. It'll be the 980 killer, but probably not challenge the three halo cards.

[Citation Needed]

As far as I know, we know very little about the Fury (non-X). It might be cut down, it might be the same, it might even be something different altogether (naming schemes isn't AMD's strong point).

But like always, you should prepare yourself for the worst. It's better to get a happy surprise when it exceeds your low expectations, than to get disappointed when it doesn't reach your unreasonably high expectations.

That's exactly what happened lol. In all honesty they shouldn't have done that, I think people would be slightly more forgiving that it doesn't quite match the TITAN X if this was just a "regular" card like an R9 390X.

Speculation time!

AMD wasn't expecting the 980 Ti. If the 980 Ti didn't exist then this card would have been a great value compared to the Titan X. Almost the same performance but at a much lower price. But then Nvidia themselves kind of killed the Titan X when they released the 980 Ti, and at that point it was too late for AMD to chance all the branding and stuff.

If this card had been released 1 month earlier people might have agreed that it was a Titan X killer.

Speculation time!

AMD wasn't expecting the 980 Ti. If the 980 Ti didn't exist then this card would have been a great value compared to the Titan X. Almost the same performance but at a much lower price. But then Nvidia themselves kind of killed the Titan X when they released the 980 Ti, and at that point it was too late for AMD to chance all the branding and stuff.

If this card had been released 1 month earlier people might have agreed that it was a Titan X killer.

Good point, although I don't see why they wouldn't expect it. It's literally exactly the same thing that they did with the TITAN and 780, same pricing and everything. AMD really should have expected the 980 Ti even if they were expecting it to be announced a week or two after the Fury launched as a response, instead of a few weeks before as a pre-emptive strike...

[Citation Needed]**

As far as I know, we know very little about the Fury (non-X). It might be cut down, it might be the same, it might even be something different altogether (naming schemes isn't AMD's strong point).

But like always, you should prepare yourself for the worst. It's better to get a happy surprise when it exceeds your low expectations, than to get disappointed when it doesn't reach your unreasonably high expectations.

**http://egmr.net/2015/06/amds-r9-fury-specs-confirmed-as-well-as-three-fury-flavours/

I had my expectations met on all but one front: the voltage still being locked. I expected a 980 Ti near-equal at stock and that's what I got. What I didn't get were overclocking numbers, after tweaking voltage, which is absolutely needed for me to commit.

But we don't know how much more performance we will get from later drivers. It might be a very big increase, or it might be next to nothing. I mean, it's not really a new architecture so I doubt we will see a huge jump. I don't think people should get their hopes up because they might just end up getting burned (again).

Anyway, I think the poll where people said they were not disappointed with the Fury X before we even had the results shows that there is a very strong bias in favor of AMD on this forum. Twice as many people voted that the Fury X was not a disappointment compared to the people who voted it was, when neither group had sufficient evidence to make a proper judgement.

Can we all agree on that and stop with the "baww this forum hates AMD for no reason" posts that appears all the time? Please?

I don't think delaying the card would have been a good idea. It already seems pretty late to the party.

[Citation Needed]

Speculation time!

Uhuh just because it didn't squish the 980 ti doesn't automatically mean people are disappointed at the card, also this forum hates AMD as much as nvidia.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case