Unofficial R9 Fury X reviews master post.

marldorthegreat

I didn't brought up Maxwell2 to compare video cards, but to compare architectures

And I brought up video cards of a different architecture to compare the improvements in an architecture  ;)

Com'on why do you deny me when I'm trying to do the same thing as you?  :lol:

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

Wow what a surprise... The card didn't perform as well as some people expected so now the AMD fans will move the goalpost to "let's see how well it performs in a year with better drivers!".

Come on guys and gals. Just look at the numbers.

Edit: It's pretty hilarious that you are even bringing drivers up as an argument when AMD has historically been much worse than Nvidia in terms of drivers. The microstuttering for AMD cards were known several years before AMD addressed it in their drivers. The multi-monitor cursor glitch still happens despite it being like an 8 year old issue. They haven't released a non-beta driver for the last ~6 months. I don't think we need to ask any GNU/Linux users who has the best drivers between Nvidia and AMD...

Drivers is not exactly AMD's strong point, but even if it was it wouldn't change the results we have right in front of our eyes today.

UK Prices

<lots of links and prices>

Fuck knows what's going on with the price differences? Gold Stickers? 

The XFX, HIS and Sapphire cards got a 2 year warranty.

The MSI and Gigabyte cards got a 3 year warranty.

PowerColor seems to be stupid and Asus probably think their name on the box alone is worth 50 pounds.

The XFX, HIS and Sapphire cards got a 2 year warranty.

The MSI and Gigabyte cards got a 3 year warranty.

PowerColor seems to be stupid and Asus probably think their name on the box alone is worth 50 pounds.

Missed that, at least the warranty is a thing.... Last time round the Asus had a better firmware on my R9 290X? but was not £50 more? 

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Missed that, at least the warranty is a thing.... Last time round the Asus had a better firmware on my R9 290X? but was not £50 more? 

but that asus cooler on the early 290x was horrendous  

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Dunno if you guys saw or not but Digital storm has Fury X xfire vs Titan X SLI

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

but that asus cooler on the early 290x was horrendous  

But I had a water cooled block, for it back then ; -)

Its on air now with standard reference leaf blower, but I mod'ed the block on my CNC myself, think AMD should contact me next time as I have done a much better job of the thermal contact areas LOL...

Question is can AMD afford to drop the price to make it competitive?

Question is can AMD afford to drop the price to make it competitive?

I seriously doubt it if you consider the initial rumors the card would've been priced at ~800$

>low memory
>card VRM hits 100C when under heavy load (and warms up the motherboard pci-e slot to 90C to boot!)
>lack of OC headroom
>still falls behind 980Ti in most benchmarks

"The card drops its clock rate immediately under a full load though, suggesting that it's not a slowly rising temperature limiting frequency. Rather, the high power consumption triggers a self-defense mechanism instead."

Holy shit this card is a failure.

You are being incredibly misleading about this information. This is based on the stress test power and temps from Tom's Hardware review, it is a situation that the card will never be in during normal use. They tested the card under gaming loads as well and there was no issue with the temperatures or thermal throttling. None. At all.

Don't try to mislead/confuse people.

With that out of the way, it certainly isn't the "Nvidia Killer" that everyone was hoping for. Never the less it is a very competitive card at least when you are talking about 4k gaming. Based on a number of reviews it ties or beats the 980 Ti at 4k more often than not. Overall its fair to say the performance is similar. Obviously the price is the same as well. It does come with water cooling stock allowing hugely better temperatures with no risk of thermal throttling that might be possible on reference cooled 980 Ti's. Power use seems slightly higher than the 980 Ti but it varies based on who benched it, some came up with similar values. Overclocking performance has yet to be determined until voltages are unlocked and overclocking software like AfterBurner are updated. 1080p and 1440p performance will likely improve with driver updates (as with 4k as well one would hope), so there is probably still some life in this card.

So at the end of the day it isn't as powerful as everyone hoped, however it is still a very competitive card and depending on people's budget it is going to be the better 4k card. Obviously the Titan X might beat it but they are in completely different price points. (even then I'm not sure, some people have it beating the Titan X as well in benches, plus we have to consider CrossFire scaling which is traditionally better on the AMD cards since they implemented bridgeless CrossFire).

It seems like this should be a win for consumers.

Nvidia strikes first and releases what apparently should have been the titan from the start. We get to save ~$350.00USD. 

AMD fires back with a card that is for all intents and purposes comparable unless one wants to get bogged down into what essentially boils down to semantics.

Why pay early adopter fees? See how this falls gsync/freesync lineup looks and wait for more custom pcb 980 ti and hopefully a price drop on these cards from one side or the other.

Nice solid card, sits at a nice price (£509 retail) point between the 980 and 980ti, as does the performance of the card.

Good Job AMD a step in the right direction.

If overclocked (if even possible) i suspect this will get close to the 980ti in a lot of games.

That being said i don't feel the need to upgrade from my 2x7970's yet. 

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

You already have it ;)

That a boy Blue. :D

Winning in 4K but losing out in 1440p and 1080p? Its a no from me :/

I'm not interested in 4k. I'm still waiting for a single gpu card that can do 4k at or over 60fps min. I will be waiting for a while. Hopefully 3-5 years.

Pretty embarrassing, compared to 980Ti its slower, has less memory and draws more power.

It would be better to buy the 980 Ti in the long run. AMD fanboys will buy the fury X. They probably even pre-ordered even though we're not allowed to pre-order games but is ok to pre-order gpu's. Makes sense right.

I seriously doubt it if you consider the initial rumors the card would've been priced at ~800$

Yup Nvidia screwed over their own customers and AMD in the process of releasing the 980 Ti.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

I guess it depends on the BOM cost...

Did they plan for $800 because it was required for profitability. Or simply because they they thought they could (in a world without the 980ti).

I think if they do not drop the price the fury non-x will become the more interesting part due to the lower price for same performance... It will not run as cool but with the partner models it won't throttle either. It will only be at a relative disadvantage in overclocking once AMD unlocks the voltage... Until then probably no performance difference.

Well, there goes my hard on.  With what seems like soo much thermal headroom, I haven't seen any reviewer yet get more than 100MHZ.

Nice solid card, sits at a nice price (£509 retail) point between the 980 and 980ti, as does the performance of the card.

Only the ones with 2 year warranty. All the ones with 3 year warranty are £599.

And if you want to buy a graphics card with a Cooler Master pump with only 2 years of warranty, be my guest.

Well, there goes my hard on.  With what seems like soo much thermal headroom, I haven't seen any reviewer yet get more than 100MHZ.

AMD in their great wisdom didn't unlock the voltage in time for reviews. Hence why I stopped my pre-order for now.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Power consumption and temps are very impressive, very pleasing to see ^_^

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I guess it depends on the BOM cost...

Did they plan for $800 because it was required for profitability. Or simply because they they thought they could (in a world without the 980ti).

I think if they do not drop the price the fury non-x will become the more interesting part due to the lower price for same performance... It will not run as cool but it probably won't throttle either. It will be at a relative disadvantage in overclocking once AMD unlocks the voltage... Until then probably no performance different.

Fury will have a free hand from AIB partners and it may be possible that some G1s and similar variants might roflstomp Fury X

I'm not interested in 4k. I'm still waiting for a single gpu card that can do 4k at or over 60fps min. I will be waiting for a while. Hopefully 3-5 years.

Yea it's gonna be a long wait. Pascal might come close. But card these days only get 30fps++ on crysis 3. Until the day when I can see a card run a crysis title at 4K 60fps I'll consider 4K gaming a "thing"  ;)

Yup Nvidia screwed over their own customers and AMD in the process of releasing the 980 Ti.

nVidia kinda' gives a shit about their customers when they show time and time again they're ready to pony up for 1000$ video cards

but, for AMD .. it was a serious blow to them

AMD in their great wisdom didn't unlock the voltage in time for reviews. Hence why I stopped my pre-order for now.

Yep that was facepalm worthy. Especially after Lisa Sue called it an overclocking monster, and they talked about giving an overbuilt cooler rated for 500watts to aid overclockers etc. And then they couldn't unlock the voltage in time LOL.

Fury will have a free hand from AIB partners and it may be possible that some G1s and similar variants might roflstomp Fury X

After I watched the GTX 980ti Gigabyte G1 Gaming video and seen that it doesent just beat other 980 tis and Titan X but it totaly stomps them to the ground I cant wait to see what they will come with when R9 Fury Pro G1 Gaming will be relased.

EDIT:

Also I am more excited to see Fury Nano. If it will cost simmilary to R9 390x while perform like a GTX 980 or better then I may pick it up.

Didn't or couldn't?  Pretty sure every reviewer, except LMG, would have called AMD and informed them that they need to OC it now.

IDK man...For now I am off that ride anyways till Fury X lauch version 2 the "we got our act together" edition.