Unofficial R9 Fury X reviews master post.

marldorthegreat

980ti is good, yes.

For Fiji it looks like the fury non-x will be better because of same stock performance for less money and a decent 3rd party air cooler. Fury x loses benchmarks to 980ti except at 4K, and AMD hasn't enabled voltage unlocking yet so the overclocking is very limited. 980ti appears a better buy for now.

Well , kinda "sucky" to what they hyped , and to what was expected from such a high number of SPs ...

But hey , im not buying into enthusiast level anyways , so kinda irrelevant for me .

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

same price, similar performance,

but the AIO cooler on the amd card is a decent value ad when you consider it should lead to better temps on the card.

so ill give amd the win on the fury vs 980 ti, however its very slim and almost not noticable and not enough imo for them to claw back market share. especially since the other cards in the 3 series are not quite as competitive

but the AIO cooler on the amd card is a decent value ad when you consider it should lead to better temps on the card.

so ill give amd the win on the fury vs 980 ti, however its very slim and almost not noticable and not enough imo for them to claw back market share. especially since the other cards in the 3 series are not quite as competitive

actually same price with less performance than the 980 ti (from all the benchmarks I've seen, including local ones from my country). 

actually same price with less performance than the 980 ti (from all the benchmarks I've seen, including local ones from my country). 

Yup, this was my exact takeaway. Add to that that the G1 is just 10 € more and you've got quite a huge performance delta. I ordered one this afternoon over a Fury X. Sorry AMD.

In this price segment, raw performance (and overclocking) is everything.

That's no moon, that's a death ball !
K'Nex Server -- R9 290 Alpenföhn Peter Review -- Philips BDM4065UC Review
CPU Intel i5-4760K @ 4.3Ghz MEM 4x 4GB Cucial Ballistix 1600 LP MOBO Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU 980Ti G1 @ 1.47Ghz SSD 3x Samsung 840 EVO 240GB Raid0 CASE Silverstone SG10 DISPLAY Philips BDM4065UC 40" UHD

Uhuh just because it didn't squish the 980 ti doesn't automatically mean people are disappointed at the card, also this forum hates AMD as much as nvidia.

Nah there's a lot more praise and justification for Nvidia's practices than the amount of "LOL RIP AMD" type of shit posts. It's ok though there's enough rational people with well thought out criticism and comments to ignore the vast majority of the forum though.

-------

Current Rig

-------

How is a liquid-cooled card with almost the same performance as an air-cooled card better? Sure, it looks nice and all, it has an AIO and all, but it still deliveres the same perfomance as the 980Ti (which you can watercool sometime later and unleash a whole other beast). Did I mention it has less VRAM?

I, personally, am more disappointed in freesync monitor vendors than AMD.  Not happy with amd's release either mind you.  The AIO would be cool if it was there for CO'ing, instead of just because (though that may change).  The lower cost of freesync on a spec for spec basis is, and should be, a very attractive part of this.  But It's just doesn't seem to be happening. 

Just means plans for a new build are still on hold, for the third year in a row.

I, personally, am more disappointed in freesync monitor vendors than AMD.  Not happy with amd's release either mind you.  The AIO would be cool if it was there for CO'ing, instead of just because (though that may change).  The lower cost of freesync on a spec for spec basis is, and should be, a very attractive part of this.  But It's just doesn't seem to be happening. 

Just means plans for a new build are still on hold, for the third year in a row.

I think it will be at least another 3-4 years before we see any FreeSync/G-Sync monitors wildly adopted(or available for that matter). They need to market these features more imo.

I think it will be at least another 3-4 years before we see any FreeSync/G-Sync monitors wildly adopted(or available for that matter). They need to market these features more imo.

cool, I can hold out.  These companies aren't the only ones who love money, I do too.

Just crack out the old consoles and hit up my vast retro library.

91546-no-soup-for-you-gif-soup-nazi-SBVv

Kinda sad. AMD have juiced this card up for Asynchronous Compute (and compute in general), which sadly is a DX12 feature. on the bright side Nvidia started using asynchronous shader engines with Maxwell (because DX12) as well, so dx12 games will indeed use that feature. On the down side this card is being tested on DX11 games, some of which are 3-4 years old and being judged on that merit alone.

That being said, I went through a half dozen reviews, adding up benchmark numbers and generating a percentage, and a lot of the reviews are freakishly consistent, with the stock 980ti outfperforming the FuryX by 104-106% time after time when I add up all the numbers for each review.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

The lower cost of freesync on a spec for spec basis is, and should be, a very attractive part of this.  But It's just doesn't seem to be happening.

G-sync had a 4+ month head start, and Freesync already has better 1440p monitors.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Speculation time!

AMD wasn't expecting the 980 Ti. If the 980 Ti didn't exist then this card would have been a great value compared to the Titan X. Almost the same performance but at a much lower price. But then Nvidia themselves kind of killed the Titan X when they released the 980 Ti, and at that point it was too late for AMD to chance all the branding and stuff.

If this card had been released 1 month earlier people might have agreed that it was a Titan X killer.

Good thinking, I'm not sure if they were expecting a 980Ti/985 or something but it's possible. The performance gap was too big between 980 and Titan X and a card had to happen yes, but this soon? It's a mystery.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Kinda sad. AMD have juiced this card up for Asynchronous Compute (and compute in general), which sadly is a DX12 feature. on the bright side Nvidia started using asynchronous shader engines with Maxwell (because DX12) as well, so dx12 games will indeed use that feature. On the down side this card is being tested on DX11 games, some of which are 3-4 years old and being judged on that merit alone.

That being said, I went through a half dozen reviews, adding up benchmark numbers and generating a percentage, and a lot of the reviews are freakishly consistent, with the stock 980ti outfperforming the FuryX by 104-106% time after time. 

bit-tech.net sums it up quite well

Going by the all-important minimum frame rates, the GTX 980 Ti defeats the R9 Fury X by 18 percent on average at 1080p, and by 11 percent at 1440p. However, the difference between the two cards is less than one percent at 4K, though still in the GTX 980 Ti's favour. Meanwhile, AMD's new flagship is, on average, 23 percent faster than the R9 290X at 1080p, 30 percent at 1440p and 36 percent at 4K.

4K is the only area where it's as fast as the 980ti. Therefore it will need a small price cut in order to sell well.

Seems to be a good GPU, and only gonna get better... But it's not a 980ti killer. So it needs to be priced accordingly. 980ti is the king.... AMD needs to be smart and price it just under. If they do that they can sell well based on good price/performance combined with cool temperatures, good industrial design etc...

-snip-

The best thing I've seen in all these pages.

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

finally here, it's a good card considering it's watercooled and the price they're asking

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P

my signature is. 

Too much time on  my hands, LOL i got trolled hahhahaha

"Maybe I'm crazy, maybe I'm weak

Maybe I'm blinded by what I see"

- Angel | Theory Of A Deadman

Well time to upgrade to Titan X SLI.... No buyers regret here now that everything is released!

CPU:i7 5930k @4.5 Mobo:x99 Deluxe RAM:32gb Corsair @2800 GPU: SLI EVGA Titan X Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 6x 4TB Seagate SSHD(raid5), 2x500gb Samsung 850 Evo Raid0 PSU: Corsair ax1500i Audio: Asus Essence STX

welp, wasn't expecting such low performance, honestly

not sure whether I want to get this to support AMD (muh monopoly) or wait for the next generation of GPUs, since this is nothing short of a dissapointment

G-sync had a 4+ month head start, and Freesync already has better 1440p monitors.

Cheaper, yes but not better non have the same variable refresh range as G-sync

The new ROG Swift is 1440p/144hz/IPS and has a variable refresh rate from 30-144hz the Freesync version has 35-90hz.

RTX2070OC 

Nvidia won't, but Intel will.

The FTC are retarded enough to consider Intel legitimate competition for Nvidia because "they make GPUs", citing their iGPU.

Which is why you see Nvidia plowing ahead while Intel are being extremely conservative all the time.

And Nvidia totally wants to be Apple. It's why I want off their ship.

this. nvidia is acting like intel before intel lost that anti-trust lawsuit. if they keep this up, they'll get their ass handed to them in court, just like intel did.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Cheaper, yes but not better non have the same variable refresh range as G-sync

The new ROG Swift is 1440p/144hz/IPS and has a variable refresh rate from 30-144hz the Freesync version has 35-90hz.

Acer XG270HU and Benq xl2730z are both 40-144hz and even as TN panels represent the best value for money you can buy in both Freesync and G-Sync.

Yes, the high end G-sync are better, but also twice as expensive as the Acer for an extra 1/10th the features and worse features in other areas like interpolation. Though Acer still needs to firmware update the fixed overdrive now that AMD released drivers for it. BenQ already fixed their overdrive.

This is another reason why I'll gladly take a performance hit (if that will even be the case) from going with AMD GPUs now, because the money hit from Nvidia + G-sync monitor is much steeper for what is a far from proportionally better experience.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

fury%20oc%20meme_zpssmflwkxi.jpg

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

fury%20oc%20meme_zpssmflwkxi.jpg

Wait for the driver unlock. Some of those guys tested the card with 15.4 beta drivers even... I mean... I have at the moment 15.6 Really now.