Unofficial R9 Fury X reviews master post.

marldorthegreat

I really really really doubt that. This isn't a new architecture or anything like that and even if it was, I don't think we've seen anyone say "okay let's sacrifice DirectX 9 performance to get better DirectX 11 performance". Is that even possible to do?

Again, don't expect some magical thing in the future to happen and all of a sudden the card performs like a monster. You will just end up being disappointed again.

With a lot of the new implementation within DX12, I think it may well be possible, especially in those techs that more effectively leverage VRAM. Between AMD's own efforts to better compress and DX12's new texture techniques my thought is that Fury X may be situated to leverage these things to benefit it under DX12 ESPECIALLY in 4k. Now I'm not so sure what kind of an effect, intended or un, DX12's other features like ganged VRAM pools and asymmetrical GPU pairings will have, but I do doubt that AMD put a reliance on THAT for Fury, but the specific new techs within DX12, which could ameliorate issues of lacking VRAM capacity, and multithreading GPU processes allowing the HBM transfer speed and wider bus a more prominent spot in performance especially at higher resolutions makes me want to see further performance testing with the next gen APIs and standards implemented.

This is all fine and dandy but where's the 4k surround benchmarks?

Now that it has finally reached the hands of the reviewers and is shown (overall) to trail slightly behind the 980ti--I don't think we will be seeing 4K surround benchmarks. 

We are not even remotely close to single gpu cards being capable of gaming at 11520x2160p.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

I really really really doubt that. This isn't a new architecture or anything like that and even if it was, I don't think we've seen anyone say "okay let's sacrifice DirectX 9 performance to get better DirectX 11 performance". Is that even possible to do?

Again, don't expect some magical thing in the future to happen and all of a sudden the card performs like a monster. You will just end up being disappointed again.

I don't get people saying "wait for Windows 10!" Or "drivers will make our cards 50% faster than Maxwell!" Or "HBM will be unleashed upon the world with DirectX 12!" AMD has been working on this what, 5 years? Are you telling me that future updates are gonna fix performance that much after a 5 year development cycle? That's pretty bad. I'd expect something twice as powerful as this in the first place.

Sure, drivers will certainly help optimize architecture. There will be improvements. But I believe this is the best we can expect Fiji to be +/- a few percent or so.

And just because AMD releases driver optimizations/improvements, doesn't mean Nvidia will sit on their ass. They'll make sure that Maxwell remains on top.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

I'm gonna be THAT guy, but i think currently, and this has a lot to do with games having an nvidia bias and whatnot more than the hardware, you'll have a better experience on the NVIDIA side of the fence.

Alternatively, 295x2 or a couple of 290xs are not a bad solution at that pricce point. Crossfire can be a massive headache, but even stuck with one card it's pretty damn good.

no exact details, yet, but the Fury Nano is under Fury and unde Fury X - in that order

Hmm looks like I'll skip Fiji and blag a 980ti this coming black Friday then.

Shame cos I was hoping AMD to blow us away this time (not saying they haven't produced a decent card, just with the hype I expected alot more) but I guess I'll be team green this time around again.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

Personally a lot of the results so far are less than I was hoping for, but I have a theory as to why. Could the Fury X, with its 4GB VRAM, a presumed limitation, and other changes in bias from earlier chips indicate its focused on future performance in DX12 and on Windows 10? What with all the new tech being implemented in DX12 especially in regards to textures will HBM be more heavily and effectively leveraged in future games using DX12 than most of what is currently being benched? Have we seen any numbers on the difference between DX11 and Mantle for the Fury yet? I just wonder if AMD may have focused their efforts on performance dividends over the next handful of years rather than just at launch...

I get the feeling that the current mixed bag numbers may turn into a bigger badder beast with the more advanced API's making use of its new set of hardware techs and changes in how VRAM is being used in engine under DX12. 

Historically AMD cards are always designed for the long haul, and in this case DX12 features appear to be the focal point of their marketing, as well having high memory bandwidth for motion prediction in VR. The kicker is that AMD made the 390/x cards 8GB, making the Fury/x cards look short term.

Also, AMD drivers typically have more cpu overhead than Nvidia drivers due to a variety of factors that are hardware related (GCN cores need to be programmed for properly, while CUDA cores don't need to be), which makes DX12 much more ideal for AMD than DX11.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

This is all fine and dandy but where's the 4k surround benchmarks?

Go look for the NCIX video where they concluded that 4 Titan Xs couldn't get you a good experience (too much stuttering) with a 4k surround configuration.

Historically AMD cards are always designed for the long haul, and in this case DX12 features appear to be the focal point of their marketing, as well having high memory bandwidth for motion prediction in VR. The kicker is that AMD made the 390/x cards 8GB, making the Fury/x cards look short term.

Also, AMD drivers typically have more cpu overhead than Nvidia drivers due to a variety of factors that are hardware related (GCN cores need to be programmed for properly, while CUDA cores don't need to be), which makes DX12 much more ideal for AMD than DX11.

[Citation Needed] on both claims (AMD cards being designed for the long haul, as well as GCN requiring better written programs).

2 of these Fury X's will look good in my second pc. Sadly it will be a couple months before I can get them.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

that VRM cooling thingy isn't doing a proper job:

IMG0047700.png

Can't see the pic...

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

[Citation Needed] on both claims (AMD cards being designed for the long haul, as well as GCN requiring better written programs).

no citation needed. just because you disagree.

cuda has been a standard across nvidia for the longest time now  making it easy to fix for any generation not so much so on the amd  when a  new problem pops up

check now

NVM lol. 104C wow

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

ty sorry. updated post. It was blocked on ie 8 but then I used firefox to view it.

attachicon.gifIMG00477001.png

Isn't that worse than Titan X backside? Ouch.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Attachment IMG00477001.png

^^ that must be with Furmark or something, and without any air flow.

Edit* Nevermind, just realized your pic is from the bottom side

toms Hardware gaming loop

Back-Side-Gaming-Loop_w_600.jpg

toms hardware Stress test

Back-Side-Torture_w_600.jpg

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Isn't that worse than Titan X backside? Ouch.

Nope:

01-PCB_w_600.jpg

The Titan X was on the actual ram module, which are not made to be that hot. The Fury X is on the VRM part, which is made to handle those temps.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Wow, that is pretty toasty. That's probably why it's voltage locked and they don't want you overclocking it beyond +100mhz. Once you start adding voltage is when the VRM and GPU temps really start to climb.

I'm wondering if the Fury (non-X) with the aftermarket cooling solutions will have better VRM cooling and actual overclocking potential...

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Wow, that is pretty toasty. That's probably why it's voltage locked and they don't want you overclocking it beyond +100mhz. Once you start adding voltage is when the VRM and GPU temps really start to climb.

I'm wondering if the Fury (non-X) with the aftermarket cooling solutions will have better VRM cooling and actual overclocking potential...

my guess is either the copper pipe thinky is pretty much useless or something else is going on

and by something else, I mean the card is factory overclocked  - those temps don't look right either way

Good job OP. One central thread with all relevant reviews and the discussions contained within. Much better than having a thread for each review or scattered discussions.

Think all of us would have benefited if the Fury fared better.

I keep going back to that old saying I heard on Anandtech, to paraphrase " nobody knows more about upcoming hardware than the most fierce competitor". Nvidia saw Fury coming to kill the Titan so they decided to kill it themselves with the TI.

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

regarding the Fury (non X):

AMD says one of the biggest differences between the Fury X and the rest of the Fury line is that its water-cooled card shouldn't throttle under load (a big issue we identified with the Radeon R9 290X when it first launched). Instead, this board should always run at its highest clock rate. The air-cooled cards, by comparison, are expected to scale back as their heat sinks and fans are saturated with thermal energy.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-fury-x-fiji-preview,29400.html

expect monsters  -_-

Good job OP. One central thread with all relevant reviews and the discussions contained within. Much better than having a thread for each review or scattered discussions.

Think all of us would have benefited if the Fury fared better.

I keep going back to that old saying I heard on Anandtech, to paraphrase " nobody knows more about upcoming hardware than the most fierce competitor". Nvidia saw Fury coming to kill the Titan so they decided to kill it themselves with the TI.

Finally some one that sees it. We should all thank AMD for releasing a beast of a card for the price. It was meant to be a titan killer and if you look at the price/performance it did. The problem is that Nvidia saw it coming and indeed killed the Titan themselves to not give the pleasure or gpu sales to AMD. Without the fury X there would not be a 980ti at this price point.

People be looking for a reason to flame.

Not sure if anyone else has posted it yet, but I reckon Hardware Canucks did the best review, as always.

All of this is fairly disappointing, but remember - the 290x launched at something like $550 and the 7970 was the same and now look at their prices! Later down the line there'll be price cuts for the Fury X and it'll definitely be worth the money then. Also driver updates and what-not.

Until then, we'll have the Fury and the Nano to keep us company! Remember - the 290 was AMD's best card for the price out of the 200 series, the Fury/Nano will be the same with the 300/Fury series. 980 killer anyone?

please please please get some traction AMD, I'm sick to death of Nvidia and Intel and their army of shills

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on