Unofficial R9 Fury X reviews master post.

marldorthegreat

where they tested it.

That is a good point, and not something we've spoken about in this thread.  In warmer climates, air cooled cards fall all over themselves.

However, it's not like we've been talking about what season cards were released in either (winter v summer).  We're pretty much going to have to trust that people benching have some degree of controls in place of ambient temps for data integrity. (right now, and hound them from here on out)

Seeing how no ones replicated AMD results that they've posted, I could easily believe that they benched the 980ti at LMG's schweddy balls location.

That is a good point, and not something we've spoken about in this thread.  In warmer climates, air cooled card fall all over themselves.

However, it's not like we've been talking about what season cards were released in either (winter v summer).  We're pretty much going to have to trust that people benching have some degree of controls in place of ambient temps for data integrity. (right now, and hound them from here on out)

Seeing how no ones replicated AMD results that they've posted, I could easily believe that they benched the 980ti at LMG's schweddy balls location.

When I said "where" I actually meant where in the game, not what the temperature was where they tested it. But you're right, temperatures affect performance now more than ever with features like GPU boost. open test bench vs inside a case can also change results.

Yes, you do actually need a citation for claims like that because it could just be made up bullshit. I am not even saying I agree or disagree with your statement, I am just saying I want you to prove that your statement is correct.

If you have evince that supports your claim then I can't disagree because it would be like arguing that the sky isn't blue. Right now though, without ever having seen the sky, I would like you to prove it with a source.

If you want to play the "no citation needed" card then I might as well say the exact opposite. That Nvidia requires more careful programming than AMD.

lawlz you should read who posted instead of quoting me and then reffering to something that was said  by another

no citation is needed because the comments made were only opinions of  people from the post you first went after then

i had said no citation needed.

Also, AMD drivers typically have more cpu overhead than Nvidia drivers due to a variety of factors that are hardware related (GCN cores need to be programmed for properly, while CUDA cores don't need to be), which makes DX12 much more ideal for AMD than DX11.

is the post i had said no citation was needed when you wanted to be a citation.

the person posted correcly by putting his opinions in  ( ).

I guess the point is that the Fury X is still drawing more power and yet it's not blowing away the 980Ti or Titan X.

If you are going to draw more power, then you better be beating the competition by at least 10 fps in every test and since it has actually lost a few benchmarks, it does say a lot.

I'm not even remotely interested in the watercooled version honestly...looks like a hassle. I like to plug in and go.

So if the nice and cool GPU of the Fury X loses some benchies... then the Fury will certainly lose almost every test against the 980Ti. The difference here is that the card is cheaper and is more geared towards the 980. I bet it runs using less power as well with less Stream Processors.

People still want this card though...it's out of stock everywhere. I mean... it's close to Titan X performance for $649 or $679 depending on where you buy it. It's the team red top card for now.... it is what it is.

Dude HBM components on Motherboards have not released yet!

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

Dude HBM components on Motherboards have not released yet!

Where did I mention motherboards? LOL

lawlz you should read who posted instead of quoting me and then reffering to something that was said  by another

no citation is needed because the comments made were only opinions of  people from the post you first went after then

i had said no citation needed.

is the post i had said no citation was needed when you wanted to be a citation.

the person posted correcly by putting his opinions in  ( ).

Sorry, didn't notice it was a different person.

Wait, how is it even possible to have an "opinion" that "GCN cores need to be programmed for properly, while CUDA cores don't need to be"? This is not something that can just be an opinion. It is a statement that's either true or false, just like "the sky is blue" or "1+1=2) are not "opinions".

( ) are not opinion markers. Parenthesis are used to explain something (or qualify something) without affecting the grammatical structure of the sentence it is placed inside.

If Briggsy wants to continue saying that Nvidia cards are more forgiving about coding errors then he better back it up with some evidence. If he doesn't have any evidence and his claims are just speculations then maybe he shouldn't say it in public. If he turns out he is wrong then he just spread a whole bunch of misinformation.

Glad I waited for Jayz review. I would highly suggest people watch that review as he compares overlcocked cards. Also Nvidia might do a price cut for the 980 Ti.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

slight off topic, can't believe they're still selling it.

my 2nd card from 15 years ago.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4UB30N4846

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Pretty annoyed the moderators seem to think this Jayz clown is big enough to get his own thread unlike every other review @Glenwing

Already sent a merge request which was ignored

How would I get mod support? 

You already have it  ;)

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Pretty annoyed the moderators seem to think this Jayz clown is big enough to get his own thread unlike every other review @Glenwing

That is not the biggest problem that I find here. This is supposed to have all the reviews from Fury X, but it has barely few. Many people including myself have posted many reviews in this thread asking from op to post them, and I mean the ones that people actually find important like TechPowerUp or Guru3D and ofc a few more, but op isn't posting them even though the card has been out for 5 days now. Just to point out, he updated the thread about the driver problems, but the reviews? Not happening, even though this is the "Unofficial R9 Fury X reviews master post" and the reviews went live an hour max after the Fury X release.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

That is not the biggest problem that I find here. This is supposed to have all the reviews from Fury X, but it has barely few. Many people including myself have posted many reviews in this thread asking from op to post them, and I mean the ones that people actually find important like TechPowerUp or Guru3D and ofc a few more, but op isn't posting them even though the card has been out for 5 days now. Just to point out, he updated the thread about the driver problems, but the reviews? Not happening, even though this is the "Unofficial R9 Fury X reviews master post" and the reviews went live an hour max after the Fury X release.

Oh I see. Didn't know the OP abandoned us  :mellow:

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

True, i think Jay Z needs his 2 cents back 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Damn.

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

Http://www.wccftech.com/amd-radeon-r9-fury-front-plate-custom-3d-model/

Amd is letting fury x owners make their own front plates

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Eh...

Shame the Fury X was a letdown, it really was, 100 AUD more than a non-reference 980 Ti (G1 Gaming and Gaming 6G, damn Gigabyte and MSI, why you name so similar), with generally lower performance. I don't even think the HBM helps it out in the higher resolutions because the 980 Ti's 6GB of VRAM. 

The reference design with the watercooler is nice, but the 980 Ti is clearly the better option, and this is coming from a mostly AMD fanboy. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

Yeah, I'm going to have to go back to nVidea when I build a new rig next month. Disappointed that the Fury X got overhyped...

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

Yeah, I'm going to have to go back to nVidea when I build a new rig next month. Disappointed that the Fury X got overhyped...

Yuhp, only thing I see interesting from the whole of AMD's new lineup is the Fury Nano, the size will make it ideal for small form factor builds that are in need of a large amount of horsepower. 

I'll probably be getting a 980 Ti G1 Gaming soon over a Sapphire Fury X, cheaper, more efficient, and faster... Shame. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

Yeah, i think it was planned for october last year. but they "wanted" HBM, so pushed it back. It explains how the card performs they way it does. 980 < fury x <= 980ti < titan x

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

980 < fury x <= 980ti < titan x

more like:

GTX 980 < Fury X <= GTX 980Ti reference < GTX 980Ti custom <= GTX Titan X

---

also: Retail AMD Fury X Sound Testing - Pump Whine Investigation

AMD did nothing:

There are few things to take away from this testing. First, the currently selling and shipping AMD Radeon R9 Fury X cards do not include any kind of fix for the pump whine or sound levels of the cooler. Though AMD tells me that we just had a miscommunication or misinterpretation of the comments they shared with us prior to our NDA, I think it is at the very least fair to say that AMD was hoping to deflect the issue on launch day. Now that retail cards are out and end users (not just us) are getting their hands on them, I think its obvious that the sound issues are more of a problem than AMD would like to admit.

to me, it was odd they said they're working on fixing it in the retail version when they had so much time before the launch

also: Retail AMD Fury X Sound Testing - Pump Whine Investigation

AMD did nothing:

-snip-

to me, it was odd they said they're working on fixing it in the retail version when they had so much time before the launch

Interesting that they mention miscommunication; that rings a bell for a certain other problem a while back.

Well, so much for AMD being "honest" and "pushing the industry". This has been said many times already; do not take the words straight out of what a company say; it applies for NVidia, Intel, WB, and AMD all the same. It does not bloody matter how trustworthy the company appears to be as you are only seeing the PR face of the company, and this trust takes only a snap of a finger to be completely broken for many people.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

Don't forget AMD farmed out the cooler. They did not design nor make it themselves. THey may have been totally up front about it all and the communications broke down between them and... asetek?...

Just to play devil's advocate how do we know the tested models are not part of the initial production run everyone is receiving and have not had any changes applied?