Unofficial R9 Fury X reviews master post.

marldorthegreat

Where is HardwareCanucks?

So where is this massive difference difference between HBM and GDDR5? Doesn't seem so revolutionary to me.

Somewhere near the massive difference between DDR3 and DDR4... give it another year or 2 with better revisions for significant improvements.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Is that a stock Ti? If so, overclock that bitch and see the Ti pull away.

they only list stock 980Ti

the stock vs stock is in the link I posted

AMD advertised that they were going to best the 980 Ti. Legit Reviews doesn't show that at all - the 980 Ti generally bests the Fury X while consuming less power.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

they only list stock 980Ti

the stock vs stock is in the link I posted

You choose Fury X OC which is not stock  ;)

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

AMD advertised that they were going to best the 980 Ti. Legit Reviews doesn't show that at all - the 980 Ti generally bests the Fury X while consuming less power.

No they said Titan X, and in many cases the 980ti beats it though.

-------

Current Rig

-------

You choose Fury X OC which is not stock  ;)

because the Fury X stock vs 980Ti stock comparison numbers are way more abundend

also Fury X barely overclocks

ERYX91T.png

because the Fury X stock vs 980Ti stock comparison numbers are way more abundend

also Fury X barely overclocks

I know, I checked already  :D 

Was just saying those posted are not stock X vs stock 980Ti, but OC X vs 980 Ti

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

For overclocking I think we have to wait until AMD unlocks the voltage with a driver.

I think the card is overpriced. It's ok for the price at 4k, but when you drop lower the 980ti is quicker. I think AMD should drop it to $600.

Missed the mark I expected it to hit. Postponing my 4K plan til next year. Nv is going to tear us all a new one with their pricing for their next chip. Incoming AMD price cuts across the entire lineup imminent, probably sooner than Fall. 980ti looks good but 28nm can go DIAF as far as I'm concerned.

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

I see quite a bit of bashing on amd but no one speaks about how the foundation for the drivers of the 980ti and titan started back in 2014 given them months to get the most out of their cards. Does no one rember 680 and 7970 ? Correct me if Im wrong here but i recall something similar the 7970 was trading blows with 680's but didnt smash it and the 680 was still regarded as the "king" and with a driver it gained a lot of ground. Give Amd the same time and im sure u will get performance increases

I see quite a bit of bashing on amd but no one speaks about how the foundation for the drivers of the 980ti and titan started back in 2014 given them months to get the most out of their cards. Does no one rember 680 and 7970 ? Correct me if Im wrong here but i recall something similar the 7970 was trading blows with 680's but didnt smash it and the 680 was still regarded as the "king" and with a driver it gained a lot of ground. Give Amd the same time and im sure u will get performance increases

That will all change in a few months but for now this is what we get. It was not until a good amount of time later where we saw the 7970(280x) flew past the 680(770) in most games. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

The card will get faster no doubt. Look at how the 290x performs these days compared to launch.

But I still think the launch price is too high, because the 980ti has higher avg fps when under 4k. for now that's where it stands..

That will all change in a few months but for now this is what we get. It was not until a good amount of time later where we saw the 7970(280x) flew past the 680(770) in most games. 

Yeah, the 7950 which rebranded as a r9 280 has done well, and is faster than the 770 and almost the 780. Considering its 4 years old its not bad.

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

At launch, 7870 was 3% slower than 580: http://www.computerbase.de/2012-03/test-amd-radeon-hd-7870-und-hd-7850/5/

As of last year, 7870 is 30% faster than the 580: http://www.computerbase.de/2015-05/17-grafikkarten-von-amd-und-nvidia-im-vergleich/2/#abschnitt_leistungsratings_spiele

I get what you are saying but it won't be as relevant as it should. With the market heavily favoring competitor cards, AMD can't afford some of the knocks against the Fury that it now has to endure.

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

The card will get faster no doubt. Look at how the 290x performs these days compared to launch.

but you're ignoring one simple fact: GCN 1.2 is not new

it's an architecture that made it's debut in September 2014; same as Maxwell2

I can see why people could feel let down by these numbers, hoping in crushing the competition, but overall Fiji looks like a good start. I'll look forward to how this matures, some actual overclocking numbers would be nice.

Yeah without overvolted overclock numbers, I'm not making a move yet. That's my only complaint, the rest was all as expected IMO.

That said, even with all the question marks, given that the Fury X is the same price as a reference 980 Ti, it's a good value. In Norway, aftermarket 980 Tis are all at least $50 more. I just need to know overclocking ability.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I get what you are saying but it won't be as relevant as it should. With the market heavily favoring competitor cards, AMD can't afford some of the knocks against the Fury that it now has to endure.

Exactly. Even when it does get faster some of the public perception won't shift; all the major sites are not gonna review the GPUs again. E.g.290x has got faster and faster now to match a stock 980 but AMD still cannot sell it at the same price. Because it came out to compete against flagship kepler cards...

but you're ignoring one simple fact: GCN 1.2 is not new

it's an architecture that made it's debut in September 2014; same as Maxwell2

You forgot the 390x(290x)(GCN 1.1) is now on par with the 980. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I'm somewhat disappointed but remember the 7970 launch? It only matched the GTX 580 at the time. Or the 290X matching GTX 780Ti. Now look at it, as the 280X, or 390X and the drivers have done an amazing job squeezing out performance.

I'm hoping the same happens with Fiji.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

You forgot the 390x(290x)(GCN 1.1) is now on par with the 980.

absolutely irrelevant to the current topic

and 390X got there because it got a boost in clocks

absolutely irrelevant to the current topic

and 290X got there because it got a boost in clocks

Hey hey hey thats not fair now since you brought up Maxwell  ;)

Boost in clocks ----> now on par with 980....