AMD did not send review samples of upcoming series to hardware reviewers (like LTT) in time for the 16th reveal

zMeul
Go to solution Solved by LinusTech,

Just gonna weigh in on a couple things here.

1. I do not have any new cards from AMD. I don't have tracking numbers and I haven't received a product briefing, reviewers guide, or even an official release date. I am way beyond giving a crap about unreleased products (they're nice but I've determined that I can easily stay relevant without any release day reviews anymore) so I don't really run around trying to dig these details up in the industry and read the same site you guys do. I know basically nothing about 3xx.

2. There's nothing wrong with letting fans have a sneak peek of something ahead of time. I've heard that Intel seeds processors to game streamers, and Nvidia gave away a whackton of G-SYNC modules.

3. With that said I agree with Ryan's point that something should be independently evaluated prior to release (based on my retailer experience if it's in stores now and a reviewer hasn't had a card for a few days the review won't be ready in time) and from my past experience when a product is objectively really good the brand is beating down the doors of the most trusted journalists to prove how much ass they just kicked.

This behavior looks more like "we can't win with the usual formula here, so let's throw something else at the wall and see if it sticks"

But just like the rest of you I'm speculating.

Ryan may also know more than he says (also speculation) and I'm intentionally waiting until after I post this to ask him so that I'm not revealing something I shouldn't.

The industry is very small and nothing is a secret.

sources: http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-shows-radeon-r9-300-series-cards-to-red-team-plus_165838

AMD appears to be showing off the AMD Radeon R9 390X and likely the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X to AMD fans that are part of ‘RED TEAM PLUS’ (previously called AMD Advocates). Members appear to be socially active AMD fans that get a ton of swag (think free video cards, SSDs, memory kits and more) to ensure they stay vocal about how awesome AMD products are.  It looks like AMD has flown in a small group of RED TEAM Plus members, not the media, to be the first people outside of AMD and the board partners that get to see AMD’s next-generation graphics cards down at the Austin, Texas headquarters of AMD.

KitGuru didn't get one either, and he's saying press was excluded (!!!) from the showings:

Guru3D didn't got any: http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5094927&postcount=9

7Wh3HQP.png

so ... AMD is giving away new 300-series (and possibly Fury) cards to RT+ members to promote via social media

at the same time, AMD is not distributing review samples to hardware review websites

---

that shows how much confidence AMD has in their products  <_<

AMD has a lot of faith in their new cards apparently.

EDIT:

AMD headquarters!

W1AFLcl.jpg

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

That is just dumb... 

How, We dont even know when its going to be released. It could be july before we see it, why send out review copys a month early

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

I can't see this being the case,  I can't imagine too many people buying or recommending a GPU that doesn't have any independent reviews or benchmarks.

If there is any truth to this it is probably simply AMD value adding for the paid up faithful.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

do people really care about re brand reviews? it's not like it's gonna change anything ... what i want to see is Hbm stuff

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

that linus wouldnt receive one isn't really a surprise for me since he never received from AMD directly, the last card he did review from them was lend fom austin evans.

But if this is something AMD pushes through to all reviewers/review sites then it's a pretty bold move, because i doubt people buy something without being able to use a reliable/unbaised source for information and comparisons

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

so ... AMD is giving away new 300-series (and possibly Fury) cards to RT+ members to promote via social media

at the same time, AMD is not distributing review samples to hardware review websites

That isn't what happened. What they did was invite the social media people to a pre-launch event. Nowhere does it say they will not be providing samples to reviewers.

zMeul Do you write for the Sun or the Daily Mail? Because your thread title is about as far from the truth as anything that is in those gutter press rags.

A thread title that actually has any resemblance to the topic would be "AMD invites select users to pre-release event". Hardly news-worthy.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

PCPer is a rag, yes!? no!?  :blink: 

so, if AMD has cards to distribute to their fanboys / media trolls, but at the same time they don't give cards to actual hardware reviewers - how's that

that's almost similar to AMD reviewing their own product and concluding it's better than (insert here)

because the 3xx is entirely rebrands of 2xx series, AMD needs to paint a very good perspective for the new series way before reviewers tell it how it is

PCPer is a rag, yes!? no!?  :blink: 

so, if AMD has cards to distribute to their fanboys / media trolls, but at the same time they don't give cards to actual hardware reviewers - how's that

that's almost similar to AMD reviewing their own product and concluding it's better than (insert here)

The source that Ryan Shrout linked to says NOTHING about not distributing samples to reviewers. NOTHING. Not a single word.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

How, We dont even know when its going to be released. It could be july before we see it, why send out review copys a month early

So that reviewers will have time to benchmark everything. It makes sense to ship it early to reviewers. Maybe not a month early but at least 2 weeks early.

The source that Ryan Shrout linked to says NOTHING about not distributing samples to reviewers. NOTHING. Not a single word.

PCPer did't get one; LTT didn't get one - who got one? RT+, the AMD's trolls

the reveal will be in ~4 days, how much time Linus said it takes to render a video? ~ a week

Wait.... All I've seen in the article is that a group of very enthusiastic AMD fans were invited to see the new GPU. 

Very disappointed by this misleading thread and Ryan Shrout. Is it wrong to reward die hard fans who so willingly spent their own money on the company they support? 

Also with a statement like this in the article:

Legit Reviews might be a bit biased, 

I cannot take this article seriously. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

the reveal will be in ~4 days, how much time Linus said it takes to render a video? ~ a week

It takes a week to edit 8 hours of SCrapyard Wards footage to a 15 minute video. I seriously doubt you need that much B-roll for a graphics card review.

How do you know LTT didn't get one? We thought they didn't get the 980Ti but they got it. Not saying that they did but we don't know if they did (afaik), the card isn't officially out yet so even if they did get one, there is probably some NDA that prevents them from confirming it and releasing the reviews (same goes for other sites). Remember how all 980Ti reviews went love at the same time on the release date.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

It takes a week to edit 8 hours of SCrapyard Wards footage to a 15 minute video. I seriously doubt you need that much B-roll for a graphics card review.

Luke needs time with the card to make the actual review or you conveniently ignore that part

I cannot take this article seriously. 

Indeed. That sentence is... yeah.

As I said, afaik they didn't get one and I stand corrected, but the rest still applies to other sites. We can't confirm if other reviewers got them if they can't talk about them.

As I said, afaik they didn't get one and I stand corrected, but the rest still applies to other sites. We can't confirm if other reviewers got them if they can't talk about them.

Well we know pcper didn't get one, someone ask Anandtech, if they didn't get one you know something dodgy is going on.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.