AMD did not send review samples of upcoming series to hardware reviewers (like LTT) in time for the 16th reveal

zMeul
Go to solution Solved by LinusTech,

Just gonna weigh in on a couple things here.

1. I do not have any new cards from AMD. I don't have tracking numbers and I haven't received a product briefing, reviewers guide, or even an official release date. I am way beyond giving a crap about unreleased products (they're nice but I've determined that I can easily stay relevant without any release day reviews anymore) so I don't really run around trying to dig these details up in the industry and read the same site you guys do. I know basically nothing about 3xx.

2. There's nothing wrong with letting fans have a sneak peek of something ahead of time. I've heard that Intel seeds processors to game streamers, and Nvidia gave away a whackton of G-SYNC modules.

3. With that said I agree with Ryan's point that something should be independently evaluated prior to release (based on my retailer experience if it's in stores now and a reviewer hasn't had a card for a few days the review won't be ready in time) and from my past experience when a product is objectively really good the brand is beating down the doors of the most trusted journalists to prove how much ass they just kicked.

This behavior looks more like "we can't win with the usual formula here, so let's throw something else at the wall and see if it sticks"

But just like the rest of you I'm speculating.

Ryan may also know more than he says (also speculation) and I'm intentionally waiting until after I post this to ask him so that I'm not revealing something I shouldn't.

The industry is very small and nothing is a secret.

How do you know that?

when you go to buy something in store, off the shelf, do you sign an NDA?! my educated guess that you do not

you are saying that amd is trying to deceive customers as if you know what their motives are but you dont 

where did I say that?

Stop making assumptions.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

where did I say that?

Stop making assumptions.

it currently looks like AMD is afraid of the internet finding out before they sell enough products.

where did I say that?

Stop making assumptions.

it currently looks like AMD is afraid of the internet finding out before they sell enough products.

Yes?  and?  You do realise that the words "looks like" indicates that the impression one gets from the aforementioned actions appears to be a certain way.  It does not indicate an absolute statement nor represent an unyielding conclusion.

EDIT: I should probably also point out that the word "currently" also indicates that time is important in this context, currently meaning; with the information we have at hand right now.  If it was a full gone conclusion with evidence there would be no need to mention that the opinion rests on current looks.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Yes?  and?  You do realise that the words "looks like" indicates that the impression one gets from the aforementioned actions appears to be a certain way.  It does not indicate an absolute statement nor represent an unyielding conclusion.

then why even say that if it has no evidence in support of it

then why even say that if it has no evidence in support of it

because this is a discussion,  you know, one where you bounce ideas around to try ascertain (explain) why the presented facts are the way they are.

So far I have ensured all my posts contain the appropriate caveats so as not to be broadcast as fact but as possibilities based on how it appears on the surface.  Which is far better than making assumptions.

because this is a discussion,  you know, one where you bounce ideas around to try ascertain (explain) why the presented facts are the way they are.

So far I have ensured all my posts contain the appropriate caveats so as not to be broadcast as fact but as possibilities based on how it appears on the surface.  Which is far better than making assumptions.

ok then i think nvidia is intercepting the review units sent to linus and ryan 

HEY! You can't say that! 

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

That doesn't even follow on with the discussion let alone any of the presented information.

Apple won't send a product to Linus for review..  Yet,  AMD hasn't even had their reveal and everyone loses their freaking minds!!! 

Because apple never have sent products to Linus.  However what is being presented here is out of the ordinary and tends only to happen when the products are not that good.  When was the last time you saw an apple product for sale on a shelf before the official release and NDA's lifted?

That doesn't even follow on with the discussion let alone any of the presented information.

Because apple never have sent products to Linus.  However what is being presented here is out of the ordinary and tends only to happen when the products are not that good.  When was the last time you saw an apple product for sale on a shelf before the official release and NDA's lifted?

neither did your comment that amd is doing this to trick sales. 

So every brand in the world (NVIDIA included) makes events for the fans... and that's fine.. yet for AMD that's a no-no.

Every brand in the world (NVIDIA included) chooses wich media receives their products for reviews... and that's fine... yet for AMD that's a no-no.

Every brand in the world (NVIDIA included) sends products for free to their most influential fans, so they can produce "organic content" around the product in social media... and that's fine... yet for AMD that's a no-no.

Every brand in the world (NVIDIA included) pays for content... and that's fine... yet for AMD that's a no-no.

About the PCPer, they make great content - yet we know they also made biased content (some of it was beyond their knowlege, and they still took a chance for it) - and they fucked up... so you don't think brands kind of "black list" some of the content creators? And I'm not assuming AMD did such a thing, we have no idea - we still have no idea when the cards will be released.

Either way, don't be naive - and specially don't feel sorry for content creators who are just mad and being childish, because it's just fucking up their business model. They can make unbiased reviews whenever they have the hardware, the problem is they all want "to be the first"... and all of this fucking rumours are even getting through the press. Ridiculous.

Edit: I don't even know Legitreviews... but I guess everyone these days thinks they are entitled to demand hardware for reviews... probably after months of publishing "rumours" about AMD without even trying to confirm with the right sources. It's OK to milk money from unconfirmed rumours of a brand, for MONTHS... so why do they need hardware anyway? If they can live out of rumours, it's all good!

neither did your comment that amd is doing this to trick sales. 

The problem is we know that Pcper and Linus have not got review units, It's being reported that AMD are giving product to social media groups to keep promoting, and we know some of the product is already up for sale.  So far your conclusion is it's not important because Linus doesn't like rebrands.   

My comments are all grounded only on what has been claimed and what has been reported. You see, in this industry reviews are an integral part of marketing and a very integral tool for consumers, If any company tries to control the independent reviewers then it looks bad for them.  I don't care if it's AMD, Nvidia or Intel (with their compiler and OEM practices) it looks bad, and this looks bad.  So unless you have a logical reason that explains the information in front of us please stop blindly defending them and pose something that at least passes the sniff test.

You see, in this industry reviews are an integral part of marketing and a very integral tool for consumers, If any company tries to control the independent reviewers then it looks bad for them.  I don't care if it's AMD, Nvidia or Intel (with their compiler and OEM practices) it looks bad, and this looks bad.  So unless you have a logical reason that explains the information in front of us please stop blindly defending them and pose something that at least passes the sniff test.

You raised some good questions like: how to identify independent reviewers? Are there really independent reviewers?

or

Is it OK for reviewers and tech journalists to release content based on rumours with no confirmed sources?

Because this is just one more rumour - you may know AMD is giving away GPUs to influencers and oppinion leaders (comon practice), but we have no clue if they've sent cards for reviewers under NDAs, or if they didn't they would still send. We don't know the release dates. We just know they are being presented on 16/06/2015.

But again the hate train as already left the station... look at the kind of topics @zMeul has been posting in the past weeks and the kind of attention it's getting.

You raised some good questions like: how to identify independent reviewers? Are there really independent reviewers?

or

Is it OK for reviewers and tech journalists to release content based on rumours with no confirmed sources?

Because this is just one more rumour - you may know AMD is giving away GPUs to influencers and oppinion leaders (comon practice), but we have no clue if they've sent cards for reviewers under NDAs, or if they didn't they would still send. We don't know the release dates. We just know they are being presented on 16/06/2015.

But again the hate train as already left the station... look at the kind of topics @zMeul has been posting in the past weeks and the kind of attention it's getting.

We know that they haven't sent cards to Linus and to Ryan. NDA's don't prevent someone from claiming they aren't under an NDA.  If Linus or Ryan actually did get review units and they told us they didn't, then they are Lying outright and should never be trusted again.  Given that I don't think they are that stupid to risk their own credibility and thus businesses, it'd be fair to say they didn't get review units.   Which is why I asked right back at the start of this thread if anandtech have reported not getting units and maybe someone should ask them. 

1- Linus has even said why Apple doesn't send him review samples. They want to control what reviewers say and post. They KNOW Linus will tell it how he see it. Not how Apple "wants" them to. "Get Rekt Kid"

2- A single store of Best Buy supposedly in North Carolina puts the 390X on the shelf before it is time. And that makes it a bad product? Is it still on the shelf? 

3- If AMD is doing a reveal and release on different dates... All of this is for nothing. Bad press is good press these days.

We know that they haven't sent cards to Linus and to Ryan. NDA's don't prevent someone from claiming they aren't under an NDA. If Linus or Ryan actually did get review units and they told us they didn't, then they are Lying outright and should never be trusted again. Given that I don't think they are that stupid to risk their own credibility and thus businesses, it'd be fair to say they didn't get review units. Which is why I asked right back at the start of this thread if anandtech have reported not getting units and maybe someone should ask them.

Why is there such an uproar that pcper or ltt didn't get review copies -or other U.S. Based tech sites? If they didn't let them skip it there are always more fish in the see and by fish I mean tech sites.

Personally I hope that they don't send pcper anything and let the miss nda release for a late review...then let's see how unbiased Ryan is after that.

We know that they haven't sent cards to Linus and to Ryan. NDA's don't prevent someone from claiming they aren't under an NDA.  If Linus or Ryan actually did get review units and they told us they didn't, then they are Lying outright and should never be trusted again.  Given that I don't think they are that stupid to risk their own credibility and thus businesses, it'd be fair to say they didn't get review units.   Which is why I asked right back at the start of this thread if anandtech have reported not getting units and maybe someone should ask them. 

Oh I didn't understand you were saying that, my bad.

Well it wouldn't be the first time linus hasn't received a graphics card from AMD, he said so himself (I think Linus didn't receive a sample of the R9 295X2 when it was released for example), AMD has their reasons for it - we don't know their criteria. Maybe Ryan didn't get to get one this time as well. I'm not saying they are lying, I'm saying that you may have reviewers who received it and are under NDAs, and simply aren't commenting on this.

It's just sad to see them, actual reviewers, jumping into conclusions because AMD brought a bunch of guys to their HQ to show them products... what is wrong with that? Why are they so mad, just because they are reviewers and are already assuming AMD won't give samples to independent hardware reviewers, and hardware reviews are gone and scratched from AMD list.

But I do think we received a good glimpse of the current state of content creation around tech, where "journalists" don't bother to confirm information with sources... they just copy and paste stuff from the internet just to have material to write content. Tech journalism and reviews are far from the idea they are trying to give to us, unfortunatly... this is the problem of their business model.

Edit:

I was looking for that R9 295X video of Linus and Linusmedia Group paid for the card to be shipped in and returned, they didn't receive a sample... and I didn't see him going on social media complaining.

Maybe Ryan didn't expect to be treated like this and he is just upset.

maybe they don't have enough stocks yet (we don't know when the cards will actually be available). I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

From not sending Linus a 295x2 because he won't crazy fanboy over them (or anyone really, he tends to be fair to everyone), to this they really seem to be the new Apple. Except I'm not sure they have the funds and the market presence to get away with it like Apple do.

Correction: I am very sure they have neither.

1- Linus has even said why Apple doesn't send him review samples. They want to control what reviewers say and post. They KNOW Linus will tell it how he see it. Not how Apple "wants" them to. "Get Rekt Kid"

2- A single store of Best Buy supposedly in North Carolina puts the 390X on the shelf before it is time. And that makes it a bad product? Is it still on the shelf? 

3- If AMD is doing a reveal and release on different dates... All of this is for nothing. Bad press is good press these days.

Maybe maybe not.  But when shit doesn't add up there is usually something wrong.  Point number 3, always the case.  reveal dates mean nothing to consumers or reviewers other than that's when they get to see/speak about the official product.

Why is there such an uproar that pcper or ltt didn't get review copies -or other U.S. Based tech sites? If they didn't let them skip it there are always more fish in the see and by fish I mean tech sites.

Personally I hope that they don't send pcper anything and let the miss nda release for a late review...then let's see how unbiased Ryan is after that.

It's not because pcper or Linus didn't get anything specifically, but because the indication is that no one got anything.  If it turns out to be just those two then all will be fine and dandy, but in honesty I can't remember Linus ever giving AMD a bad review or not being a big enough reviewer to at least warrant a 390 sample.

Oh I didn't understand you were saying that, my bad.

Well it wouldn't be the first time linus hasn't received a graphics card from AMD, he said so himself (I think Linus didn't receive a sample of the R9 295X2 when it was released for example), AMD has their reasons for it - we don't know their criteria. Maybe Ryan didn't get to get one this time as well. I'm not saying they are lying, I'm saying that you may have reviewers who received it and are under NDAs, and simply aren't commenting on this.

It's just sad to see them, actual reviewers, jumping into conclusions because AMD brought a bunch of guys to their HQ to show them products... what is wrong with that? Why are they so mad, just because they are reviewers and are already assuming AMD won't give samples to independent hardware reviewers, and hardware reviews are gone and scratched from AMD list.

But I do think we received a good glimpse of the current state of content creation around tech, where "journalists" don't bother to confirm information with sources... they just copy and paste stuff from the internet just to have material to write content. Tech journalism and reviews are far from the idea they are trying to give to us, unfortunatly... this is the problem of their business model.

It saddens me that any company gives internet shills free product to basically defraud consumers.  Maintaining integrity is what keeps people like Ryan and Linus in business, I can't see them readily jumping the gun on this.