AMD did not send review samples of upcoming series to hardware reviewers (like LTT) in time for the 16th reveal

zMeul
Go to solution Solved by LinusTech,

Just gonna weigh in on a couple things here.

1. I do not have any new cards from AMD. I don't have tracking numbers and I haven't received a product briefing, reviewers guide, or even an official release date. I am way beyond giving a crap about unreleased products (they're nice but I've determined that I can easily stay relevant without any release day reviews anymore) so I don't really run around trying to dig these details up in the industry and read the same site you guys do. I know basically nothing about 3xx.

2. There's nothing wrong with letting fans have a sneak peek of something ahead of time. I've heard that Intel seeds processors to game streamers, and Nvidia gave away a whackton of G-SYNC modules.

3. With that said I agree with Ryan's point that something should be independently evaluated prior to release (based on my retailer experience if it's in stores now and a reviewer hasn't had a card for a few days the review won't be ready in time) and from my past experience when a product is objectively really good the brand is beating down the doors of the most trusted journalists to prove how much ass they just kicked.

This behavior looks more like "we can't win with the usual formula here, so let's throw something else at the wall and see if it sticks"

But just like the rest of you I'm speculating.

Ryan may also know more than he says (also speculation) and I'm intentionally waiting until after I post this to ask him so that I'm not revealing something I shouldn't.

The industry is very small and nothing is a secret.

maybe they don't have enough stocks yet (we don't know when the cards will actually be available). I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Honestly, look at all the leaks the Fiji/fury has suffered so far. It is absolutely insane. This is not just some random upgrade card, it's the first of its kind, thus revolutionary. No wonder AMD, wants to be the ones, who actually breaks the info on it. It's their prerogatory after all.

I'm sure trusted reviewers will get cards after the unveiling. But of course reviewers like Tek Syndikate will be prioritized, since they actually review most of AMD's offerings. If you don't, then of course you won't automatically get the best of the best. Probably why LTT didn't get a 295x2.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

you claim logic and yet you post stuff irrelevant to the matter on topic

Your point was that AMD is getting stupid for laying off people; so that would make Intel dumb too for laying off. Not exactly bulletproof logic there.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

you claim logic and yet you post stuff irrelevant to the matter on topic

Ah but AMD laying off matters to "aparently amd did not send review samples of upcoming series to hardware reviewers like ltt in time for the 16th reveal" topic?

I was just following your logic... I'm sorry :(

It saddens me that any company gives internet shills free product to basically defraud consumers.  Maintaining integrity is what keeps people like Ryan and Linus in business, I can't see them readily jumping the gun on this.

Why do you assume that because they are giving it to internet shills, they wont give to reviewers?

Because every company gives products to internet shills (not everyone, only those with relevant social media exposure).

Linus maintains his integrety by solving the problem of not receiving samples to get them on his own. He doesn't come to social media to be salty about it... Ryan did, maybe because he is not used to be cut out... why was he? Probably he should be carefull with some of his content, I don't know. Only AMD knows.

Your point was that AMD is getting stupid for laying off people; so that would make Intel dumb too for laying off. Not exactly bulletproof logic there.

no, my point is that AMD is run by morons and people like Huddy that make matters worse, not better

I'm willing to bet this whole idea was all Huddy

no, my point is that AMD is run by morons and people like Huddy that make matters worse, not betterI'm willing to bet this whole idea was all Huddy

...... What?

You are just spewing random stuff. This is the first time you even mention Huddy.

If you keep this up nobody will take you seriously.

...... What?

You are just spewing random stuff. This is the first time you even mention Huddy.

If you keep this up nobody will take you seriously.

riight ..

who's the big PR head in AMD? Richard Huddy "Chief Gaming Scientist"  :lol: 

Bad sign.

This screams "these rebranded cards aren't worth it".

Why do you assume that because they are giving it to internet shills, they wont give to reviewers?

Because every company gives products to internet shills (not everyone, only those with relevant social media exposure).

Linus maintains his integrety by solving the problem of not receiving samples to get them on his own. He doesn't come to social media to be salty about it... Ryan did, maybe because he is not used to be cut out... why was he? Probably he should be carefull with some of his content, I don't know. Only AMD knows.

My very first post in this thread:

I can't see this being the case, I can't imagine too many people buying or recommending a GPU that doesn't have any independent reviews or benchmarks.

If there is any truth to this it is probably simply AMD value adding for the paid up faithful.

I don't necessarily believe they won't, I just question their motive for either leaving those two out or not sending them to any reviewer. It just seems odd and unlikely given that we aren't specifically talking about the fury x or even the 390x but the 390. It is unusual for reviewers to not get at least that, I know Linus doesn't always get the top tier (apparently he had to plead for one of the titans, can't remember which one), but this would be like nvidia not sending him or Ryan a 980/970. It just doesn't sound right and I certainly don't believe the low stocks reasoning, because if the article is true they have enough to feed the trolls but not enough to feed the reviewers.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Not giving your product to LTT, easily the largest and most popular tech community right now, is not a good sign.

Linus has 1 million+ people to potentially see that content. That's a lot of potential sales.

I wish NDAs weren't so strict so people could speak up and let everyone know, but it's all a waiting game.

AMD however isn't even bothered to combat misinformation, and they let it fester and grow out of control.

ok then i think nvidia is intercepting the review units sent to linus and ryan

That's preposterous. There's a difference between tangible discussion of likely scenarios (relative term), debate (assertions of facts to make more complex claims/arguments in a persuasive fashion), and trolling (spewing bs for its own sake).

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

What can they do though? AMD are fucked and there is little chance of them not going bankrupt by 2020. Their CPUs don't seem like they'll get any better with then and with the expection of the FuryX, the entire 300 series is a rebrand with some slight changes to them. That being said, the new GPUs will, most likely, be pretty much the same in terms of real world performance as we have now. If they gave that to someone like LTT or OC3D then it'll be game over for AMD.

I wouldn't go that far. DX 12 will bring new life to the FX 83xx and FX 9 lines, and Zen looks like Haswell IPC, clocks unknown and wattage requirements unknown.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Hey @zMeul your article says AMDa headquarters are in Austin,Texas. It's actually Sunnyvale, ca

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Waow. I am the biggest amd fanboy but not a red team plus member :(

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

I don't necessarily believe they won't, I just question their motive for either leaving those two out or not sending them to any reviewer. It just seems odd and unlikely given that we aren't specifically talking about the fury x or even the 390x but the 390. It is unusual for reviewers to not get at least that, I know Linus doesn't always get the top tier (apparently he had to plead for one of the titans, can't remember which one), but this would be like nvidia not sending him or Ryan a 980/970. It just doesn't sound right and I certainly don't believe the low stocks reasoning, because if the article is true they have enough to feed the trolls but not enough to feed the reviewers.

Well we will never know their motive, or even if they will send samples to Ryan or Linus.

You are escalating this to a whole level of "defrauding" and stuff, when most likely they are just experimenting new strategys for social media and to try to leverage that. It's not the common old procedure: ship samples to reviewers, pay for content, announce, lift NDA, publish reviews and paid content. And maybe Ryan felt this as a threat - because it will strip him of content and in concequence, views, revenue.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be mad by this, I just think that he should be more professional like Linus: "If they don't send us a sample, then we will find our way to get one."

I don't belive low stocks are the excuse, in fact I think there's alot of jumping conclusions with so low amount of information.

This is what we know:

- AMD is announcing products on the 16th;

- AMD invited members of their community to disclose products;

- AMD hasn't sent yet samples to Ryan of PCPer and Linus;

- Ryan is upset;

So I don't get how this has escalated to this point.

I didn't see people raising any problem when NVIDIA gave to tech journalists Shields for free at the end of a NVIDIA event. But because AMD is showing their products to a group of people, who some are judging to be trolls and shills (I know no one of that group, but maybe you know and you are right) then there's a conspiracy that AMD wont ship cards for reviews... you should know better then this I think.

Conidering most games are still on DirectX 9, I doubt DirectX 12 will get great adoption. More importantly, it will only benefit new titles that have it implemented in the PC version of game engine. At the same time, you need to have a card that supports DirectX 12 with a driver and operating system that supports it. I know Windows 10 is free but there will be plenty of people who stick on Windows 7. In theory you are right but in practice it just won't happen.

DX 12 offers streamlined development as well whereas DX 10 and 11 just didn't, and DX 12 support is being given to everything through Fermi for Nvidia and everything down through GCN 1.0 for AMD, even if it has to be done somewhat in software.

Windows 10 is also a free upgrade if you have Windows 7/8 already, and the dropped security support for Windows 7 will start driving people away from it sooner than you might think.

Well we will never know their motive, or even if they will send smaples to Ryan or Linus.

You are escalating this to a whole level of "defrauding" and stuff, when most likely they are just experimenting new strategys for social media and to try to leverage that. It's not the common procedure old procedure: ship samples to reviewers, pay for content, announce, lift NDA, publish reviews and paid content. And maybe Ryan felt this as a threat - because it will strip him of content and in concequence, views, revenue.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be mad by this, I just think that he should be more professional like Linus: "If they don't send us a sample, then we will find our way to get one."

I don't belive low stocks are the excuse, in fact I think there's alot of jumping conclusions with so low amount of information.

This is what we know:

- AMD is announcing products on the 16th;

- AMD invited members of their community to disclose products;

- AMD hasn't sent yet samples to Ryan of PCPer and Linus;

- Ryan is upset;

So I don't get how this has escalated to this point.

I didn't see people raising any problem when NVIDIA gave to tech journalists Shields for free at the end of a NVIDIA event. But because AMD is showing their products to a group of people, who some are judging to be trolls and shills (I know no one of that group, but maybe you know and you are right) then there's a conspiracy that AMD wont ship cards for reviews... you should know better then this I think.

It's a zMeul thread is how it happened.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

But users will still have to upgrade to Windows 10 and have all games support it for it to be of any real use. All the existing titles and engines (that won't get updated) that people still play/use won't run any better on current AMD hardware.

Every AAA title which has come out in the last 5 months had a developer promise for future DX 12 support, so let's see that game play out first, shall we?

DX 12 offers streamlined development as well whereas DX 10 and 11 just didn't, and DX 12 support is being given to everything through Fermi for Nvidia and everything down through GCN 1.0 for AMD, even if it has to be done somewhat in software.

Windows 10 is also a free upgrade if you have Windows 7/8 already, and the dropped security support for Windows 7 will start driving people away from it sooner than you might think.

I wouldn't go that far. DX 12 will bring new life to the FX 83xx and FX 9 lines, and Zen looks like Haswell IPC, clocks unknown and wattage requirements unknown.

Yes, meaning that games based on DX12 will be playable on older cards, not that suddenly 8350 will increase performance by 50% in games that aren't based on DX12. So only games that are coming out in few months (maybe a year) may benefit from it (which all you know better than me). At that time (I hope) Zen is gonna be quite close and FX will somehow go into history. So not sure about new life (maybe to some small percentage people that will still have them).

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Conidering most games are still on DirectX 9, I doubt DirectX 12 will get great adoption. More importantly, it will only benefit new titles that have it implemented in the PC version of game engine. At the same time, you need to have a card that supports DirectX 12 with a driver and operating system that supports it. I know Windows 10 is free but there will be plenty of people who stick on Windows 7. In theory you are right but in practice it just won't happen.

What the hell are you talking about? Games being backwards compatible with dx9 is the reason we won't see great dx 12 adoption? Care to explain this logic? It didn't stop dx11 adoption, so why would it stop dx12?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Not giving your product to LTT, easily the largest and most popular tech community right now, is not a good sign.

Linus has 1 million+ people to potentially see that content. That's a lot of potential sales.

I wish NDAs weren't so strict so people could speak up and let everyone know, but it's all a waiting game.

AMD however isn't even bothered to combat misinformation, and they let it fester and grow out of control.

Linus doesn't get hardware and tech from everyone in the industry.

I agree with you that Linus has a huge reach for brands with his content. I like his content, both personally and professionaly. I like how he evolved and how engaged his community is with him.

I would also like that NDA would only limit some part of information, but other should be public. Like you shouldn't be tell the ammount of financial deals, but you should know there was one behind some action, for example.

Well we don't know if AMD when contacted for confirmation, they won't clear some stuff out. Everyone knows AMD marketing and PR is far from good, so maybe tech journalists should reach them. That's why I like Semiaccurate, they won't release information unless they have confirmation for at least two sources, or the offcial sources - and even then sometimes they get it wrong.

And do you have proof for that claim?

Individually it'd take me a while as I'm on my phone only for the next few hours, but it should've easy for you to google GTA V DX 12 support as a start.

no, my point is that AMD is run by morons and people like Huddy that make matters worse, not better

I'm willing to bet this whole idea was all Huddy

Lisa Su seems to be very competent. Huddy seems to do a good job being the link between AMD and devs, so I don't know why he is being criticized that much. His interviews with PCPer and the no bs podcast, was a lot more constructive than NVidia's BS. I do think NVidia learnt from that, as their smugness and circle jerking has been reduced a lot since.

What can they do though? AMD are fucked and there is little chance of them not going bankrupt by 2020. Their CPUs don't seem like they'll get any better with then and with the expection of the FuryX, the entire 300 series is a rebrand with some slight changes to them. That being said, the new GPUs will, most likely, be pretty much the same in terms of real world performance as we have now. If they gave that to someone like LTT or OC3D then it'll be game over for AMD.

There is hardly any chance of AMD going bankrupt. The only ones claiming that was the most incompetent analysis I have read in a long time. Their entire rationale were issues that are being fixed in 2016 (new zen architecture, and new lower nodes on both CPU and GPU; 14nm finfet). They even claimed nodes where a problem on the GPU side, as NVidia would go to 16nm ff at TSMC in 2016. They don't seem to understand, that AMD uses same company and would get access to same nodes at the same time.

Afaik AMD is owned by the same conglomerate/investment company, as global foundries. They are spreading out risk, extracting Glofo back in the days. At the very worst, AMD would go down, but the owners would extract all useful IP. Remember that Intel is just as dependant on AMD IP as AMD are the x86 ip. AMD being reconstructed, would result in a new cross license instantly. AMD isn't going anywhere, but they are being hit hard atm from good Intel products, and insane NVidia propaganda. The GPU space is one of the two markets, where AMD is fully competitive. But as someone on this forum said: What NVidia is currently best as, is the most important thing ever. And that is a problem, that AMD needs to overcome.

AMD being first to market with a small form factor koth card, with the first implementation of HBM, should help.

I'm sure trusted reviewers will get cards after the unveiling. But of course reviewers like Tek Syndikate will be prioritized, since they actually review most of AMD's offerings. If you don't, then of course you won't automatically get the best of the best. Probably why LTT didn't get a 295x2.

I don't think LTT missed out on any significant release from AMD :huh: they even had separate r9 270x and r9 270 videos, for what is essentially the same card.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*