AMD did not send review samples of upcoming series to hardware reviewers (like LTT) in time for the 16th reveal

zMeul
Go to solution Solved by LinusTech,

Just gonna weigh in on a couple things here.

1. I do not have any new cards from AMD. I don't have tracking numbers and I haven't received a product briefing, reviewers guide, or even an official release date. I am way beyond giving a crap about unreleased products (they're nice but I've determined that I can easily stay relevant without any release day reviews anymore) so I don't really run around trying to dig these details up in the industry and read the same site you guys do. I know basically nothing about 3xx.

2. There's nothing wrong with letting fans have a sneak peek of something ahead of time. I've heard that Intel seeds processors to game streamers, and Nvidia gave away a whackton of G-SYNC modules.

3. With that said I agree with Ryan's point that something should be independently evaluated prior to release (based on my retailer experience if it's in stores now and a reviewer hasn't had a card for a few days the review won't be ready in time) and from my past experience when a product is objectively really good the brand is beating down the doors of the most trusted journalists to prove how much ass they just kicked.

This behavior looks more like "we can't win with the usual formula here, so let's throw something else at the wall and see if it sticks"

But just like the rest of you I'm speculating.

Ryan may also know more than he says (also speculation) and I'm intentionally waiting until after I post this to ask him so that I'm not revealing something I shouldn't.

The industry is very small and nothing is a secret.

Not even that. Most of them doesn't even have 1000 followers, and their youtube videos get like ~200 views.

Pure speculation here, but I am willing to bet that the people on that list are doing things like recommending AMD products on forums under different usernames. It doesn't make sense that AMD would put a bunch of people with only ~800 followers (probably had a lot less before becoming an RT+ member) on such an exclusive list otherwise. They must be doing something else too (probably posting on forums).

I can think of a few users here with only a few hundred posts that seem to vanish for long periods of time... until there's a piece of news that allows them to praise AMD or hate on Nvidia. Then they all seem to show up at once.

Of course, they might simply be forum lurkers who are big fans of AMD and only care about GPU news and nothing else. There's enough of a witch hunt here for corporate shills among fanboy flame wars. No need to contribute further to that without concrete proof, I suppose.

I think the term you're looking for is "shill".

I wouldn't call it a "proper social strategy" since shilling is illegal in many cases. Sure a lot of companies does it, but it should be extremely frowned upon and if exposed with hard evidence a court should get involved. Maybe I am optimistic but since it is illegal I hope the majority of companies does not do it. Besides if your product is good you shouldn't have to pay people to pretend like it is good.

It is not something we should encourage and brush under the rug.

Oh, but "shilling" is the tatical approach, in the strategy it would be something like "increase awareness in relevant communitys".

I don't agree with it, personaly, specially because like you said and well - it lacks the comercial layer that should be visible. That gray area of illegality is what allows marketing to do it... the same like native advertising... it's not quite clear, and brands take advantage of it.

It's not about the quality of the product - it's just to get people to know it, that's the main goal. If you get them to know it in the right context or when people are activily looking for something, even better. But you just can't fool people, because A: there's more people in forums, and B: if you fool a customer once, you wont fool it twice.

I don't think anyone encouraged it, it's just part of the reality, and people should be aware of it.

I can think of a few users here with only a few hundred posts that seem to vanish for long periods of time... until there's a piece of news that allows them to praise AMD or hate on Nvidia. Then they all seem to show up at once.

Of course, they might simply be forum lurkers who are big fans of AMD and only care about GPU news and nothing else. There's enough of a witch hunt here for corporate shills among fanboy flame wars. No need to contribute further to that without concrete proof, I suppose.

Actually if I had to evaluate I would say that there's a way bigger presence of NVIDIA in several communitys (this included), were the kind of speech seems to be in tune everywhere, and the retoric is always the same. You can even make a check list on it.

But this is just my 2 cents.

and yet, what is your role in AMD public relations but to spread the "AMD's gospel"

you claim you are not "paid" by AMD and yet you receive gifts from them - in spite being "no one"

begs the question: how can "no one" receive unreleased hardware but, at the same time, established hardware reviewers with vast experience can not  <_<

I question the "RT+" existence! how  and why exactly is AMD going out of their way to please these "no ones" - look at their history, some of them don't even have 1000 subscribers on YT

hell, my YT channel has bit less than 400 subs and my hast activity was posting R9 280X problems i had with the cards

Dave Jones' (EEVblog) famous quote:

That's up to AMD to decide who they invite.  So honestly you'll have to ask them regarding, but a lot has to do with getting our quantitative feedback.

But when it comes to unreleased products, whoever said we received any is simply wrong.  None of us have anything that hasn't been released.

I'm here if anyone has questions regarding the program, and while I won't have all the answers I'll try my best.

That's up to AMD to decide who they invite.  So honestly you'll have to ask them regarding, but a lot has to do with getting our quantitative feedback.

But when it comes to unreleased products, whoever said we received any is simply wrong.  None of us have anything that hasn't been released.

I'm here if anyone has questions regarding the program, and while I won't have all the answers I'll try my best.

First of all, be ready to be a target of attempts of discrediting, of spreading false information accusations, bulshitting, some dissimulated insults, and I would even belive some will claim what you are doing is illegal... so if you say what is not in the good eyes of a part of this community, namely NVIDIA fans, you are going to have a bad time.

Either way, this was just a heads up, and truth be told - you may have indeed an agenda.

Now for the question: did you guys sign NDAs?

Haha, okay "hold" does not equal take home.  and the last one was supposed be a joke where were gonna unbox lunch to make light of the situation that day after the 390x unboxing went live.  But, we were asked not to.

Guess we didn't expect people to read into it so much.  Sorry for the confusion.

riight .. maybe you should blame nVidia, just to be sure  :lol:

First of all, be ready to be a target of attempts of discrediting, of spreading false information accusations, bulshitting, some dissimulated insults, and I would even belive some will claim what you are doing is illegal... so if you say what is not in the good eyes of a part of this community, namely NVIDIA fans, you are going to have a bad time.

Either way, this was just a heads up, and truth be told - you may have indeed an agenda.

Now for the question: did you guys sign NDAs?

For sure, I always expected as much.  I've gotten plenty tossed at me from it, but I completely understand and thanks for the good words :)

As far as NDAs go, yes we've signed them.

riight .. maybe you should blame nVidia, just to be sure  :lol:

Lol, no reason to blame them :) 

Haha, okay "hold" does not equal take home.  and the last one was supposed be a joke where were gonna unbox lunch to make light of the situation that day after the 390x unboxing went live.  But, we were asked not to.

Guess we didn't expect people to read into it so much.  Sorry for the confusion.

Oh yeah borderline breaking of NDA, hilarious. I guess you just showed us why you shouldn't trust fans with this kind of stuff, no offense to you or members of your "red" team but it's pretty amateurish and ridiculous as well as you trying to hand wave it away oh so casually.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Oh yeah borderline breaking of NDA, hilarious. I guess you just showed us why you shouldn't trust fans with this kind of stuff, no offense to you or members of your "red" team but it's pretty amateurish and ridiculous as well as you trying to hand wave it away oh so casually.

Noted, that's why I'm here.  I'm honestly wanting to know how people are seeing this.

Until I came here I didn't see what the big fuss was.  BUT, I do now.  

I didn't want to come across as brushing it off, but rather explaining what was going on behind the scenes.

I'm always open to a discussion at any time :)

Lol, no reason to blame them :)

I recommend just ignoring him. He's probably the least objective person on the planet.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

I recommend just ignoring him. He's probably the least objective person on the planet.

interesting .. why is that? out of curiosity

interesting .. why is that? out of curiosity

Skim through your post history. Self explanatory.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

Skim through your post history. Self explanatory.

how's that even supposed to work? I asked your opinion, no ?

OP: I was just momentarily on Sapphire Ed's twitch stream (left after this statement) and he said he cannot disclose stats or performance number on the 300 series until the 18th. I find the timeline interesting and possibly confirming this rumor.

-------

Current Rig

-------

AMD Radeon R9 Fury X and Fury Performance Benchmarks:

The first performance results have been posted by our friend DGLee over at his website IYD. The results which are based off synthetic benchmarks show the Radeon R9 Fury X performing much faster than the GeForce GTX Titan X and GTX 980 Ti while the GeForce GTX 980 Ti is faster than the Radeon R9 Fury. The Radeon R9 390X is faster on higher resolutions than the Radeon R9 290X and GTX 970 but is somewhat slower compared to the GTX 980.

The 3DMark Firestrike results are quite surprising as the Radeon R9 Fury X delivers better performance than Titan X and 980 Ti up till 4K but the performance gets worse beyond 4K at resolution of 5K and 8K which shows that the 4 GB HBM VRAM is not enough to keep the cards powered up on higher resolution screens beyond 4K.

So the G1 Gaming 680 Ti is selling for $ $688.99 Once again, more so than the MSRP...which is BS.

The Fury at $549 is actually a better deal than this because it scores right with the 980 Ti ( give or take in 3dmark) as of those benchmarks and if they retail it for $549 and don't inflate the price it could sell well. I'm betting gouging will occur.

But the Fury X at $649 that beats the 980 Ti and Titan X by a tiny bit in those tests are interesting. Obviously games are more important

I'm not sure why they bother sticking the 390X in there to be honest, no one cares about that thing.

To be fair, there are only a very small number of sites that AMD needs to get a card to quickly in order to influence reaction. #1 is Anandtech and the rest I don't know.

So, now that we know that there is still more than a week until the Fury X hits the market, does that change anything ?

So, now that we know that there is still more than a week until the Fury X hits the market, does that change anything ?

Yes, it shows that a lot of reviewers are spoiled drama queens. AMD showcasing their cards to a select group, that helped design them, by testing and giving feed back, is apparently an unacceptable thing, that hurts end users.... somehow.. maybe.

I'm sure these cards will be in reviewers hands before launch.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro