AMD did not send review samples of upcoming series to hardware reviewers (like LTT) in time for the 16th reveal

zMeul
Go to solution Solved by LinusTech,

Just gonna weigh in on a couple things here.

1. I do not have any new cards from AMD. I don't have tracking numbers and I haven't received a product briefing, reviewers guide, or even an official release date. I am way beyond giving a crap about unreleased products (they're nice but I've determined that I can easily stay relevant without any release day reviews anymore) so I don't really run around trying to dig these details up in the industry and read the same site you guys do. I know basically nothing about 3xx.

2. There's nothing wrong with letting fans have a sneak peek of something ahead of time. I've heard that Intel seeds processors to game streamers, and Nvidia gave away a whackton of G-SYNC modules.

3. With that said I agree with Ryan's point that something should be independently evaluated prior to release (based on my retailer experience if it's in stores now and a reviewer hasn't had a card for a few days the review won't be ready in time) and from my past experience when a product is objectively really good the brand is beating down the doors of the most trusted journalists to prove how much ass they just kicked.

This behavior looks more like "we can't win with the usual formula here, so let's throw something else at the wall and see if it sticks"

But just like the rest of you I'm speculating.

Ryan may also know more than he says (also speculation) and I'm intentionally waiting until after I post this to ask him so that I'm not revealing something I shouldn't.

The industry is very small and nothing is a secret.

Luke needs time with the card to make the actual review or you conveniently ignore that part

Is the 16th the "release" or the "announcement of the release"? There is a fairly significant difference.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Is the 16th the "release" or the "announcement of the release"? There is a fairly significant difference.

She said in the review that they are gonna announce it at E3, so not sure if that's also the release.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

She said in the review that they are gonna announce it at E3, so not sure if that's also the release.

IIRC when the Titan X was "announced" and "released" the next day, it took about a fortnight for cards to start showing up in stores.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Luke needs time with the card to make the actual review or you conveniently ignore that part

I'm sure if Linus and the boys were given any given GPU, they could bench, film, edit, record and upload it all in 1 day if they really wanted to. I doubt it takes 4 days for a GPU review man.. come on, let's be real

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

That isn't what happened. What they did was invite the social media people to a pre-launch event. Nowhere does it say they will not be providing samples to reviewers.

zMeul Do you write for the Sun or the Daily Mail? Because your thread title is about as far from the truth as anything that is in those gutter press rags.

A thread title that actually has any resemblance to the topic would be "AMD invites select users to pre-release event". Hardly news-worthy.

Nah if he did his post wold be far more interesting as it would have pictures of half naked women in ti xD

I'm sure if Linus and the boys were given any given GPU, they could bench, film, edit, record and upload it all in 1 day if they really wanted to. I doubt it takes 4 days for a GPU review man.. come on, let's be real

@LinusTech a little confirmation/input please.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

have you done actual benchmarking for yourself and I'm not talking about one game benchmark, I talking about a dozen+ of them - it will take more than a 8h work day - and that's with a single card to bench with!

each bench must be re-ran at least 3 times to get some consistency out of it - and that's just time piling up

have you done actual benchmarking for yourself and I'm not talking about one game benchmark, I talking about a dozen+ of them - it will take more than a 8h work day

Short answer, no, but I could ask the same to you. On top of that, in the 980 Ti review, they benched 5 games (though I will consider time for synthetic benchmarks), they work as a group, it's not as if one individual has all of the work load. As big Moose said, let's see if Linus can provide some input. 

Edit - pls add the edit part, didn't get to see the additional parts of your post. Continuing on, yeah obviously they'll re-run for consistency, but it'll only be for that 1 card. If Luke is benching a game that he's done in the past (or reasonably recent), I'm not sure if he's going to re-run the bench for each card. E.g. if he puts Fiji vs. 980 Ti, as long as he has the same benchmarking methodology, I can't see him re-run the 980 Ti again if he did it just weeks ago. 

I could be wrong though

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

Short answer, no, but I could ask the same to you.

yes, I did and that's why I'm giving you an informed opinion that benchmarking is not as "magic"

me personally, I don't put much weight on LTT video card benchmarking because they always overclock the cards

AMD's under new staffing and operation (CEO). So it could just be a measure by Lisa that she doesn't want any information leaking until launch. The way a product launch should be because regardless of how credible independent reviewers are, they still like to leak information. Here we are three days away from the (more than likely) launch date of the new series and we know pretty much jack about them. Fury X is a monster card, R9 390X is likely Hawaii with tweaks and that's about it.

AMD has done pretty shady things in the past, for example having staged NDAs were reviewers were allowed to post benchmarks from some programs that AMD did well in before the full NDA was lifted.

But since we don't have any confirmation right now all we can do is put down our pitchforks and wait for the card to launch. If people can buy them from stores (more than 1 store selling them too early) and we still don't have reviews then it's a very big problem. Until then, innocent until proven guilty.

It might just be a paper launch in 3 days, and the actual card comes out in like a few weeks (plenty of time for reviewers to get samples)

I am really not a fan of "red team+" though since it encourages fanboyism. It causes fear and doubt to anyone recommending AMD products because the person doing the recommendation might be paid by AMD themselves.

sounds like it under preforms while priced higher than the 980ti

they are doing the same tricks as game devs do when releasing a game

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I'm sure at least 1 source that isn't under NDA or whatever will get hold of a card and put the benchmarks out there.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Pretty sure every legit reviewer gets one. They just can't talk about it yet.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

PCPer did't get one; LTT didn't get one - who got one? RT+, the AMD's trolls

the reveal will be in ~4 days, how much time Linus said it takes to render a video? ~ a week

THE REAVEAL IS IN 3 DAYS, NOT THE RELEASE .  it only took a week to render scrapyard wars as there was so much footage, it will  not takes as long for a shorter video.

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

THE REAVEAL IS IN 3 DAYS, NOT THE RELEASE .  it only took a week to render scrapyard wars as there was so much footage, it will  not takes as long for a shorter video.

did amd specifically say reveal rather than release?

becaues i agree this suspicious they would normally be more willing to promote their product to non fanboys.

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

did amd specifically say reveal rather than release?

becaues i agree this suspicious they would normally be more willing to promote their product to non fanboys.

Ther rumours are that fiji is going to be a bit later. I bet they will get there sample on the day of "announcement/reveal" and they will be "released" a week after that. They did it with the r9 290x. Linus did not get his sample until the reveal and had time to make the review before the official release of the r9 290x

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

ofc they didnt.

There is soo much garbage rumored lately,

That i dont realy understand, that people even believe in any of those.

We will know Tuesday!

ofc they didnt.

There is soo much garbage rumored lately,

That i dont realy understand, that people even believe in any of those.

We will know Tuesday!

I'm not pretending rumor level are insane, but when one shows from retailer questions are to be asked

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

revuenypw1.jpg

When was the last time that the explanation "we want to build up anticipation so no press, sorry" was used legit for a good product?

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

-snip

When was the last time that the explanation "we want to build up anticipation so no press, sorry" was used legit for a good product?

Never

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Fiji is the only new card. The rumour for fiji is that it will release later. So why would linus have fury if it is going to be released?