AMD did not send review samples of upcoming series to hardware reviewers (like LTT) in time for the 16th reveal

zMeul
Go to solution Solved by LinusTech,

Just gonna weigh in on a couple things here.

1. I do not have any new cards from AMD. I don't have tracking numbers and I haven't received a product briefing, reviewers guide, or even an official release date. I am way beyond giving a crap about unreleased products (they're nice but I've determined that I can easily stay relevant without any release day reviews anymore) so I don't really run around trying to dig these details up in the industry and read the same site you guys do. I know basically nothing about 3xx.

2. There's nothing wrong with letting fans have a sneak peek of something ahead of time. I've heard that Intel seeds processors to game streamers, and Nvidia gave away a whackton of G-SYNC modules.

3. With that said I agree with Ryan's point that something should be independently evaluated prior to release (based on my retailer experience if it's in stores now and a reviewer hasn't had a card for a few days the review won't be ready in time) and from my past experience when a product is objectively really good the brand is beating down the doors of the most trusted journalists to prove how much ass they just kicked.

This behavior looks more like "we can't win with the usual formula here, so let's throw something else at the wall and see if it sticks"

But just like the rest of you I'm speculating.

Ryan may also know more than he says (also speculation) and I'm intentionally waiting until after I post this to ask him so that I'm not revealing something I shouldn't.

The industry is very small and nothing is a secret.

I know it won't have PhysX so I won't be buying one so who cares about who got what and when reviews come out of this card. 

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Lisa Su seems to be very competent. Huddy seems to do a good job being the link between AMD and devs, so I don't know why he is being criticized that much. His interviews with PCPer and the no bs podcast, was a lot more constructive than NVidia's BS. I do think NVidia learnt from that, as their smugness and circle jerking has been reduced a lot since.

There is hardly any chance of AMD going bankrupt. The only ones claiming that was the most incompetent analysis I have read in a long time. Their entire rationale were issues that are being fixed in 2016 (new zen architecture, and new lower nodes on both CPU and GPU; 14nm finfet). They even claimed nodes where a problem on the GPU side, as NVidia would go to 16nm ff at TSMC in 2016. They don't seem to understand, that AMD uses same company and would get access to same nodes at the same time.

Afaik AMD is owned by the same conglomerate/investment company, as global foundries. They are spreading out risk, extracting Glofo back in the days. At the very worst, AMD would go down, but the owners would extract all useful IP. Remember that Intel is just as dependant on AMD IP as AMD are the x86 ip. AMD being reconstructed, would result in a new cross license instantly. AMD isn't going anywhere, but they are being hit hard atm from good Intel products, and insane NVidia propaganda. The GPU space is one of the two markets, where AMD is fully competitive. But as someone on this forum said: What NVidia is currently best as, is the most important thing ever. And that is a problem, that AMD needs to overcome.

AMD being first to market with a small form factor koth card, with the first implementation of HBM, should help.

That analysis was primarily based on the structure of the company and its debts. There's a lot of waste in AMD and redundancy which is slowing down R&D and costing money in its own right, money AMd doesn't have in the first place. AMD has to have a $600 million lump sum in an escrow account on Jan 1st 2019 or it triggers automatic bankruptcy. AMD would have to have R300, R400, and Zen sell marvelously for them to afford the end costs of development which we haven't even seen yet come into play, and it only gets worse from here onward for R&D costs at ever smaller nodes even without being a foundry.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

AMD made a stupid

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

I know it won't have PhysX so I won't be buying one so who cares about who got what and when reviews come out of this card. 

Coming from a Physx promoter, I think people wouldn't need to see your comment to understand your position.

Even if AMD released a card that would stomp out everything and were giving them for free, I have the feeling you would still pay a nice extra premium for Physx :)

Maybe they didn't send one to pcper 'cause they have very few subs/views, someone has thought of that?

Well, now it's 100% confirmed slower and more expensive than 980 Ti. AMD should probably cut their losses, halt production, and just sell what they have. :/

i never expected the FURY card to be released on 16th, to me it was just a presentation or a reveal for the card, and then the release come by the end of the month, so i dont get why they are upset, and bretailers they did not recieve stocks of the card, just samples, probably for marketing purposes.

honestly i think these ppl are over reacting, and AMD cannot do what they are assuming, the card is so anticipated there is no way they can do that, the negative press they will get from it will be as big as the hype.

I think we're getting off the topic of AMD promoting their products among a circlejerk of fanboys instead of showing them to press, which no one should do.

I think we're getting off the topic of AMD promoting their products among a circlejerk of fanboys instead of showing them to press, which no one should do.

why show it to the press if it's not going to be released yet ?

maybe the drivers arent ready so a jerk can have the card to show, it wouldnt matter

maybe AMD is waiting on a driver update, to get the better perf benchs.

.w...why would they need review copies before the REVEAL? the cards likely wont come out for AT LEAST 2 weeks after the reveal..more than enough time for reviewers to get thar hands on cards...

Clickbait title is clickbait.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

why show it to the press if it's not going to be released yet ?

maybe the drivers arent ready so a jerk can have the card to show, it wouldnt matter

maybe AMD is waiting on a driver update, to get the better perf benchs.

If Nvidia got a bunch of fanboys together to show off the 980ti or Titan X, but didn't let ANYONE in the press come to talk about it, would that be okay?  This is the same thing, it's controlling ANY information about any product.

yes, that's what they've put on shelves for sale .. "samples" eh

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/384835-updated-r9-390x-in-stock-at-bestbuy/#entry5195855  oh look, they even have SKUs

Have you not considered that 3xx cards will launch first. ex. on the 16th and the Fury will be announced on the 16th and be available to purchase later. It has been leaked that the Fury will be available to buy on the 24th

these are the rebrands not fiji, thats like having 290: 285 with double the memory, thats about it, but no retailer got stock of the new Fiji

(+@Dietrichw) and I never claimed they did and this topic I created was never about Fiji alone, was about the entire AMD's new lineup

it's about how AMD intentionally blocked hardware reviewers access to the new lineup

If Nvidia got a bunch of fanboys together to show off the 980ti or Titan X, but didn't let ANYONE in the press come to talk about it, would that be okay?  This is the same thing, it's controlling ANY information about any product.

yes, because they have an event at E3 a 24h livestream, they dont want the press to spoil the shiet they wanna reveal, a fanboy is still a fanboy, cannot reach as many ppl as a reviewer does.

anyhow, if AMD releases Fiji on the 16th, i will come back to this post and yell at them also, but if they are gonna release it couple weeks later, then everything is normal to me, and ppl are just over reacting.

you != everyone

You won't be buying it which doesn't mean that no one will. Don't put yourself as everyone.

PhysX makes a difference but it isn't the only factor. Would you buy Fury if it gave 30% more FPS than 980Ti while costing the same? Well yeah why not? But then again we have temps, OC capabilities, power consumption so maybe they wouldn't. You see where I'm going with this?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

(+@Dietrichw) and I never claimed they did and this topic I created was never about Fiji alone, was about the entire AMD's new lineup

it's about how AMD intentionally blocked hardware reviewers access to the new lineup

It is just confusing as you reply "stores have it in stock" when replying to people who are only addressing the Fury card.

And the "intentional" part is pushing it as you have no proof of it being intentional. It is only known that review samples haven't been given out yet.

Additionally Red team plus people weren't given cards from what I have seen on social feeds. They were only invited to visit AMD and take a look at new products (tech demos) and have meetings.

yes, because they have an event at E3 a 24h livestream, they dont want the press to spoil the shiet they wanna reveal

their shit that they want to reveal has already been spoiled over the internet for quite a lot of months now - AMD's reveal won't do anything but officializing the rumors

i dont think that AMD made any reference rebrand, at least didnt see any so far, all seem to be from partners, msi, xfx etc, they will be handing samples i guess, they are not in a hurry, because they probably thought that nobody gives a shiet of reviewing the same card again, just because of the extra memory.

their shit that they want to reveal has already been spoiled over the internet for quite a lot of months now - AMD's reveal won't do anything but officializing the rumors

what was spoiled is the outside look of the card, but nothing specificaly technical, and that couldn't stay under if the press got samples of the fiji.

Most of this thread is built on the fallacy, that reviewers won't get any of these cards. I don't see any support for that. AMD is not NVidia, so they do things their own way. Giving these cards out to fans, to build hype, is not a bad issue. The reviewers have bias towards themselves, and comes off rather entitled, believing they should have access first.

I personally would like for objective reviews to hit the net, before the products do; but earlier leaks states Fury won't be in the stores at the unveiling, so really this might not make any difference, than usual. The amount of FUD being spread about this card, is bonkers. Are NVidia fans really that scared, that their 1000$ cards, will get their asses whooped by a cheaper, smaller, quiter, cooler card?

3 days. We will know more in 3 days. Keep calm.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Most of this thread is built on the fallacy, that reviewers won't get any of these cards. I don't see any support for that. AMD is not NVidia, so they do things their own way. Giving these cards out to fans, to build hype, is not a bad issue. The reviewers have bias towards themselves, and comes off rather entitled, believing they should have access first.

I personally would like for objective reviews to hit the net, before the products do; but earlier leaks states Fury won't be in the stores at the unveiling, so really this might not make any difference, than usual. The amount of FUD being spread about this card, is bonkers. Are NVidia fans really that scared, that their 1000$ cards, will get their asses whooped by a cheaper, smaller, quiter, cooler card?

3 days. We will know more in 3 days. Keep calm.

It's speculation, just like how you and others speculate the absurd things about Nvidia that you do.

If everyone's wrong about AMD not sending review units out before launch, then big woop.

They better compete on top tier really well. They need it. From specs and new memory also watercooled, all I can say looks promising.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |