NVIDIA Could Capitalize on AMD GCN Not Supporting Direct3D 12_1

BiG StroOnZ

AMD's Graphics CoreNext (GCN) architecture does not support Direct3D feature-level 12_1 (DirectX 12.1), according to a ComputerBase.de report. The architecture only supports Direct3D up to feature-level 12_0. Feature-level 12_1 adds three features over 12_0, namely Volume-Tiled Resources, Conservative Rasterization and Rasterizer Ordered Views. 

Volume Tiled-resources, is an evolution of tiled-resources (analogous to OpenGL mega-texture), in which the GPU seeks and loads only those portions of a large texture that are relevant to the scene it's rendering, rather than loading the entire texture to the memory. Think of it as a virtual memory system for textures. This greatly reduces video memory usage and bandwidth consumption. Volume tiled-resources is a way of seeking portions of a texture not only along X and Y axes, but adds third dimension. Conservative Rasterization is a means of drawing polygons with additional pixels that make it easier for two polygons to interact with each other in dynamic objects. Raster Ordered Views is a means to optimize raster loads in the order in which they appear in an object. Practical applications include improved shadows.

95a.jpg

Given that GCN doesn't feature bare-metal support for D3D feature-level 12_1, its implementation will be as limited as feature-level 11_1 was, when NVIDIA's Kepler didn't support it. This is compounded by the fact that GCN is a more popular GPU architecture than Maxwell (which supports 12_1), thanks to new-generation game consoles. It could explain why NVIDIA dedicated three-fourths of its GeForce GTX 980 Ti press-deck to talking about the features of D3D 12_1 at length. The company probably wants to make a few new effects that rely on D3D 12_1 part of GameWorks, and deflect accusations of exclusivity to the competition (AMD) not supporting certain API features, which are open to them. Granted, AMD GPUs, and modern game consoles such as the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 don't support GameWorks, but that didn't stop big game devs from implementing them.

Source: http://www.techpowerup.com/213191/nvidia-could-capitalize-on-amd-graphics-corenext-not-supporting-direct3d-12-1.html

I find this article very interesting, because people are going around on this forum constantly posting a chart claiming Maxwell does not have full DX12 support, but AMD GCN does and inside of this chart it lists all features that are supported for Maxwell, GCN, and Intel. This is the chart that I'm talking about:

ehN0mwO.jpg

Now according to this article, GCN does not support Volume Tiled Resources, Conservative Rasterization or Rasterizer Ordered Views. I don't know where people got this chart as I'm finding difficulty finding a source for it but apparently it is incorrect and inaccurate. As this article from TechPowerUp dictates these features are not supported on GCN. I find the most interesting part of this article is that GCN does not support Volume-Tiled Resources, which if you read the description helps conserve video memory usage (or VRAM usage). Which IMO, is the most important feature for GCN to have considering they are about to launch Fiji / Fiji XT (Radeon Fury) with only 4GB of VRAM. If NVIDIA capitalizes on this by utilizing 12_1 feature sets in their GamesWorks games, they could really do some damage to AMD especially to their new cards about to launch.

Wait, so are the 3xx-series considered the same GCN iteration that won't support 12.1?

Interesting.  I always wondered why Nvidia apparently didn't support DX12 fully when they've been working with MS on it for so many donkey years.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

So a 290 and 290x would not support it? or am I wrong on what GCN is? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

The only card that supports 12.1 is 980ti and the AMD FURY will too. so how is that a advantage?

also AMD has better older support for 12.0 then Nvidia according to that chart

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Some 3xx cards will NOT have the latest GCN since they are just rebadged 2xx cards on older GCN card so yes, some 3xx cards are already behind the 8 ball on DX12 support. 

I think there are some features that won't be supported. When DirectX12 is in development, they add/remove features in the specification in it. Therefore, the earlier generation you have, the more likely you will lose out on some of the features. I think it would be best for everyone to wait for DX12 to release (and games to fully use it) before I think about a new card. The generation of cards after should probably fully support it.

The only card that supports 12.1 is 980ti and the AMD FURY will too. so how is that a advantage?

Incorrect:

The feature level 12_1 remains for the time being for the GM200 (980 Ti / Titan X) -  GM204 (970 / 980) - and GM206-GPU (960) Nvidia reserved. For Fiji, AMD is not expressed. According to Hallock, the absence of the feature level 12_1 is no problem in principle. So the key for games features are all included in the feature level 11_1 and 12_0. In addition, most games would already geared to the console and thus hardly rely on 12_1.

ok but AMD has better DX12 support then Nvidia. 12.1 is not that big of a deal if only a handful of people can use it. most game devs will not use 12.1 but just 12

ok but AMD has better DX12 support then Nvidia. 12.1 is not that big of a deal if only a handful of people can use it. most game devs will not use 12.1 but just 12

Handful? The majority market share is NVIDIA, if NVIDIA implements 12_1 features into GamesWorks games the majority will be able to use it. However the minority will suffer from performance issues and problems, that being AMD users.

All of Maxwell can support it. The 980TI is not unique to this.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Handful? The majority market share is NVIDIA, if NVIDIA implements 12_1 features into GamesWorks games the majority will be able to use it. However the minority will suffer from performance issues and problems, that being AMD users.

thats only 970, 980, 980 ti, thats not a big market share. maxwell v1 does not have full support according to the chart. so still maxwell is the minority

thats only 970, 980, 980 ti, thats not a big market share. maxwell v1 does not have full support according to the chart. so still maxwell is the minority

Maxwell V1 only applies to the 750/TI. All the 900 series is based on a GM 20X core. GTX 960 and the GTX 900M series all support the same level of DX 12 features. Now, it may require a driver update or two, but that doesn't change the fact they are all the same Maxwell V2 architecture.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

most developers will undoubtedly use whatever the xbone is capable of using, and may ignore 12_1. there is a chance PC exclusive developers will use 12_1. Kepler didn't support 11.1 and it did literally zero credit to AMD for supporting 11.1 features, simply because developers weren't keen on dividing their engine and features up between platforms. Its possible some developers will dabble in 12_1, if there is reason to.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Actually the 970 and 980 don't support either raster feature (iirc) and they emulate the tile feature.

im not even concerned DX12 isnt out yet and it wil take time for it to reach critcal mass so possibly by then the support for some of the more important features will be on the majority of medium/highend GCN stuff

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

Actually the 970 and 980 don't support either raster feature (iirc) and they emulate the tile feature.

Emulation is still support, just tier 2 support instead of tier 3.

nvidia only has the majority of current dgpu sales, what about total GPU shipments?

I'm just glad that stupid chart has been properly and publicly debunked. It should be obvious that AMD rebrands don't somehow support all these features, especially when Nvidia is launching brand new cards every couple months it seems like.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Is anyone else amazed by the fact that 12_0 isnt even released and theres already a 12_1 coming? at the same fucking time.

Wat?

Waiting for tessellation 2.0

Stupidly high-res skybox that is an uncompressed image that reaches under the map as well.