NVIDIA Could Capitalize on AMD GCN Not Supporting Direct3D 12_1

BiG StroOnZ

Eventually. Anyone with a Sandy Bridge i5 will tell you there comes a point when raw CPU power stops mattering too much. Right now, though, the CPU part of the APUs available are just too weak to want to use as pure CPUs and the GPUs are too weak to make gaming much fun, and ultimately that's what people care about.

And what's maddening is all AMD would have to do to boost both substantially is take a page from Intel's playbook and throw a big L4 cache at the problem (L3 for AMD, but you get the idea).

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Let's hope if article, written by someone who was in the early access program for DX12, clears a bit of this fanboyism fueled circle jerking rant - you should read it, for once, this one article actually deserves a clickhttp://www.bitsandchips.it/52-english-news/5661-clarifications-about-tier-and-feature-levels-of-the-directx-12

cool

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

I think this article summarizes everything perfectly. AMD will have stuff that nVidia won't have and the other way around, either way, we won't see the difference that much. http://mobile.extremetech.com/latest/223320-demystifying-directx-12-support-what-amd-intel-and-nvidia-do-and-dont-deliver

Just like the site I posted previously - this "full support bullshit" is no subject.

I think this article summarizes everything perfectly. AMD will have stuff that nVidia won't have and the other way around, either way, we won't see the difference that much. http://mobile.extremetech.com/latest/223320-demystifying-directx-12-support-what-amd-intel-and-nvidia-do-and-dont-deliver

I was about to come post this but you beat me to it.  Linus gave the impression on the wan show that maxwell had full support and amd did not but that's not exactly true.  AMD has the edge in not having limitations on resource binding, even the latest maxwell 2.0 chips don't fully support that.  And nvidia has a feature level edge with a couple of rendering techniques that probably won't be implemented aside from some forcefed gameworks code that the VAST majority of their own users won't be able to support on kepler and previous maxwell 1.0 cards.

The biggest gains are available to most people though, the better utilization of the cpu and different cores, that is where the meat is.  

And frankly, those "ancient" 7xxx cards and 280x rebrands and 290s will have far more staying power as dx12 arrives compared to all those kepler parts sold and early maxwell, and frankly, even maxwell 2.0 is not as robust at handling resource binding. 

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

The funny thing is AMD will just update their drivers...

FFS they've been running on the same graphics technology for how many years and have been doing good, but not the best.

Nvidia used native support!

AMD used driver update!

It seems every driver update improves something with AMD.