Nvidia Q1 2016 results shows GPU sales up 14 per cent

zappian

Nvidia Sales up 14%

ref-3b.jpg

Nvidia has published its Q1 2016 financials. The firm's revenue for the quarter ending 26th April 2015 was $1.15 billion, up four per cent year on year but down eight per cent sequentially. Earnings were unchanged year on year but down a rather painful 31 per cent sequentially. These results might sound like something not to be celebrated but profits did beat targets, reports Venture Beat.
Nvidia CEO Jen-Hsun Huang made a statement accompanying the results affirming the company's focus upon visual computing "The importance of visual computing is evident all around us," said Huang. "Our singular focus on visual computing is aligned with some of the most exciting growth opportunities in computing today," he said. Huang explained that Nvidia's expertise will help it take a leading place in emerging growth markets such as deep learning, virtual reality and self-driving cars.

Looking at the products behind the financials, Venture Beat reports that GeForce GPUs were great market performers. Sales of such GPUs for both gaming PCs and laptops were up 14 per cent. This achievement is said to be thanks to a surge in interest in PC gaming and the popularity of the latest generation Maxwell GPUs. Tesla GPUs are also said to have sold well to web and cloud companies. Another bright spot was the improved Tegra revenue thanks to the automotive sector.

I think I will need @MyInnerFred to explain me the first quote Q_Q.
Anyways so the sales of gaming gpus for nvidia were up 14% . As I expected their shenanigans didn't affect their bottom line one bit.
Mainly because AMDs gpus are quite old now and because of the insane popularity of the GTX 970.
I am curious to see how this shifts after AMD launches their cards.

Sauce: http://hexus.net/business/news/general-business/83005-nvidia-q1-2016-results-shows-gpu-sales-14-per-cent/

Well I for one find it impressive that nVidia know their results a year in advance, how can AMD compete with that!

i7 920 @ 3.5 GHz / Gigabyte X58-USB3 / Corsair H100i / 12gb Kingston Hyper X Blu / EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ / 120gb SanDisk Extreme II / 650w PowerCool / Phanteks Enthoo Pro / TTe Sports Challenger Ultimate / TTe Sports Black Element / Corsair Raptor HS40

Sales in 2016? Is that in fiscal years?  :huh:

Anyways, growth is always good. Right?

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

They are flying away from AMD if they don't announce their new GPU line up

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Sales in 2016? Is that in fiscal years?  :huh:

Anyways, growth is always good. Right?

The firm's revenue for the quarter ending 26th April 2015 was $1.15 billion, 

Yeah probably fiscal years .

They are flying away from AMD if they don't announce their new GPU line up

AMD confirmed 3xx cards by end of Q2 (June)

http://www.redgamingtech.com/amd-officially-confirmed-r9-390x-in-june-hbm-low-power-4k-400-series-info/

Still don't see it moving people away from nvidia unless it's titan killer performance at 980 (or lower) prices.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

AMD confirmed 3xx cards by end of Q2 (June)

http://www.redgamingtech.com/amd-officially-confirmed-r9-390x-in-june-hbm-low-power-4k-400-series-info/

Still don't see it moving people away from nvidia unless it's titan killer performance at 980 (or lower) prices.

Brand loyalty OP.

Great to hear Nvidia.

*looks at AMD*

Get your shit together plz!

PLZ no more lies nvidia. OH it didn't affect your profits .

Well.

Maybe they will make bolder lies next time.

gb2BLBb.jpg

Once again marketing and features and stereotypes (amd iz hawter ten tuh sun!11!11!!!!) beat out price/performance.

Edit: added "and features" to clarify myself.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Once again marketing and stereotypes (amd iz hawter ten tuh sun!11!11!!!!) beat out price/performance.

Do kids like you ever consider that Nvidia sells well because they actually make a good product and that marketing actually lets people know their product still exist and are new? That people know Nvidia makes stuff? Nah, you don't consider that. 

Price to performance is far from the only metric used to buy products, BTW. You'll learn that when you grow up. 

Once again marketing and stereotypes (amd iz hawter ten tuh sun!11!11!!!!) beat out price/performance.

I feel like I say this a lot, but people seem to need it to be repeated. There are two reasons behind why  a product/service does well:

1. It is cheaper

2. It offers a better experience -  in this case the market has decided that Nvidia offers a better "experience" with their gpus (think GSync + Shield Streaming, AA tech, runs cooler, lower power consumption, Shadowplay)*.

Depending on the type of product/service offered and/or the type of buyer one of the two reasons is more heavily weighted. For a business, #1 is the most important, but for consumers often #2 is the most important.

*Note: I know AMD offers similar things with their GPUs, but maybe Nvidia's version is a "better experience."

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

2015 is a leap year so they skip ahead to 2016

sales in 2016? so retailers already got the orders for the GTX 1080 and titan K done?

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Do kids like you ever consider that Nvidia sells well because they actually make a good product and that marketing actually lets people know their product still exist and are new? That people know Nvidia makes stuff? Nah, you don't consider that. 

Price to performance is far from the only metric used to buy products, BTW. You'll learn that when you grow up. 

Funny enough, I completely agree with you, just didn't feel the need to elaborate. I buy Nvidia for Geforce experience, driver updates and their power consumption.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Sorry for double post, can't edit in more quotes.

I don't know why you're upset, I literally said "marketing" right in the post, and based off what you said, we're completely in agreement. Although the wording may suggest that I believe price/performance is most important, that's not what I believe.

I feel like I say this a lot, but people seem to need it to be repeated. There are two reasons behind why  a product/service does well:

1. It is cheaper

2. It offers a better experience -  in this case the market has decided that Nvidia offers a better "experience" with their gpus (think GSync + Shield Streaming, AA tech, runs cooler, lower power consumption, Shadowplay)*.

Depending on the type of product/service offered and/or the type of buyer one of the two reasons is more heavily weighted. For a business, #1 is the most important, but for consumers often #2 is the most important.

*Note: I know AMD offers similar things with their GPUs, but maybe Nvidia's version is a "better experience."

Same as above.

Although I probably should have said "marketing and features" in the original post, I don't know why everyone is up in arms over that quick observation. I buy Nvidia for most of the same reasons Victorious Secret and Warcony have listed. Sorry for the double-post, but it really gets on my nerves when I'm represented to believe something I don't.

TLDR: Misunderstanding.

sales in 2016? so retailers already got the orders for the GTX 1080 and titan K done?

They're clearly typos if you go read the context in the article.

Funny enough, I completely agree with you, just didn't feel the need to elaborate. I buy Nvidia for Geforce experience, driver updates and their power consumption.

When I bought my PC, I choose a 780Ti because I've had a good previous experience with GeForce Experience and how it handles driver updates (Even though it was in a crappy laptop that has to work hard even in Hearthstone (not kidding)).

As much as I love AMD, Nvidia has CUDA which is a massive advantage in my opinion. AMD's opencl is just not a sufficient replacement for CUDA. I really hope that changes but for now Nvidia is just the better option for both gaming (physx) and productivity (CUDA). I hope AMD gets their act together.

They're clearly typos if you go read the context in the article.

It's not a typo,  All companies report fiscal years as the year they end in, so Nvidia are reporting the first quarter of the financial year that ends in 2016.  So Q1 2016 has just finished and we are now in nvidia's Q2 2016.  Companies can choose their own financial year so long as they meet all the reporting requirements.

on topic:

It never ceases to amaze how people forget about market basics and just assume stupid stuff about consumers because they don't like the results.   

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

It'd be hilarious if this was wrong and a complete flop and AMD got the boost.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

They do make a good product, have superior marketing and partnerships, but there is no denying that the some of the sales are due to other reasons, including the irrational enthusiast community. If AMD made a GPU literally 1 generation better than anything that Nvidia was selling at the same price point and was marketed up the wazoo, Nvidia would still likely outsell AMD.