AMD Radeon R9 390X Teaser Pic – Definitely Water Cooled + Small Form Factor

BiG StroOnZ

inb4 oh noes it runs so hot surface of the sun hurr durr look at me im being funny

DVI is the 2nd most common port you'll find on a monitor. Not everyone owns one with HDMI or the more expensive Display Port. Also it's better to have a direct connection, instead of using converter adapters or converter cables.

DisplayPort is cheaper to integrate into a monitor because its loyalty free, unlike hdmi.

DVI is the 2nd most common port you'll find on a monitor. Not everyone owns one with HDMI or the more expensive Display Port. Also it's better to have a direct connection, instead of using converter adapters or converter cables.

DisplayPort is royalty-free so I don't get why you think it is so expensive

Yes I get that adapters may not be the most elegant solution. However, DVI is a large, bulky connector and for the same space you can fit 2 DP-ports.

I don't mind that look, but yeah it's small and cute xD

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

THIS IS A LEAK SO TAKE IT WITH THE BIGGEST SALT YOU CAN POSSIBLY CONSUME

390x1.jpg

Bad photoshop is bad.

Look at the pci-e connector, its location, and even worse, what's missing:

Colorful-Announces-iGame-GTX-650-and-GTX

The protruding bit, just to the left of the actual connector is missing, meaning the entire row of pci'e connectors, are offset to the left. 

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I was curious how big the size difference was, but it seems that I found something else out:

post-8375-0-58327500-1431022791_thumb.jp

Lets hope its a PR image fuckup cuz I really like the design.

That's no moon, that's a death ball !
K'Nex Server -- R9 290 Alpenföhn Peter Review -- Philips BDM4065UC Review
CPU Intel i5-4760K @ 4.3Ghz MEM 4x 4GB Cucial Ballistix 1600 LP MOBO Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU 980Ti G1 @ 1.47Ghz SSD 3x Samsung 840 EVO 240GB Raid0 CASE Silverstone SG10 DISPLAY Philips BDM4065UC 40" UHD

I was curious how big the size difference was, but it seems that I found something else out:

attachicon.gifR9 390XW Fake.jpg

Yup, called it too in the other thread. Pci-e connector is offset, and missing the protruding bit.

I will say though, that the card itself looks nice either way.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Teaser pic is kind of funny heh. C'mon, reveal it! :D

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

since it doesnt have GGDR5

there isnt really a point to make it big :|

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

attachicon.gifR9 390XW Fake.jpg

Lets hope its a PR image fuckup cuz I really like the design.

Ha! Love the DS9 reference. :D

Before even making that comparison, I figured most people could tell it's a fake image... 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

What you see is likely the WCE version for high end enthusiasts. The stock R9 390X should be air cooled as it's rumored to have only a 300w TDP. If it happens to not be air cooled then it's not because the card runs hot but because they wanted to provide an all around better cooling solution (300w TDP can be easily air cooled look at the R9 290X non-reference). The "AMD runs hot" nonsense only started because of Hawaii and you know why that happened? Shitty reference air coolers not because of a hot core. If you want to be statistically right Nvidia is the company that makes cards that will burn your house down. That's not a biased opinion but actual fact.

ONLY 300W? wtf? No, that is AMD running hot. That is an obscene TDP for a graphics card. MY ENTIRE PC draws 500W from the wall and that's an extreme edition CPU and two high end Nvidia cards, yet one of these GPUs ONLY releases most of that in heat alone. For reference Nvidia have never released a card this hot The GTX 580 and GTX 480, both renowned for being ridiculously hot cards, were 244W and 250W respectively. 300W for a single GPU is absolutely monstrous.

It is absolutely a biased opinion to pass this off as acceptable.

The GPU and Memory are stack on top of each other, using a CLC to cool that single combined package is the best choice. HBM is alot hotter than GDDR to my understanding.

Did you quote the right person? I wasn't aware that I talked about memory at all

I'm not saying anything about the R7 line up. Just we need more than 2gb for modern gaming.

No you are, you're commenting on an R7 card not having enough vram to run a game that was just released on Ultra preset. I'm telling you that your criteria for a sub £100 card is hilariously stupid.

To be fair, AMD does know a thing or two about power efficiency.

Not everyone knows for some reason, but they released lower TDP versions of the 8-core FX CPU'S a while back.

Did they actually, or did they just bin them to run at a lower voltage or just lower the clock speed?

ONLY 300W? wtf? No, that is AMD running hot. That is an obscene TDP for a graphics card. MY ENTIRE PC draws 500W from the wall and that's an extreme edition CPU and two high end Nvidia cards, yet one of these GPUs ONLY releases most of that in heat alone.

It is absolutely a biased opinion to pass this off as acceptable.

780ti used about as much, and 290(x) is just as old, so it's pointless to compare a 2013 card with a 980. If the 3/490x is a 300w card, it's because it's going to be a beast of a koth card.

Single slot I/O, three DP and one HDMI? 

Good job AMD. Getting the big guns out. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

UUHHG it has no VGA, worst card EVER.

I hope that's sarcasm ;)

Since, you know, running a VGA cable off one of these would be a fucking disgrace.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

780ti used about as much, and 290(x) is just as old, so it's pointless to compare a 2013 card with a 980. If the 3/490x is a 300w card, it's because it's going to be a beast of a koth card.

The 780 Ti had TDP between the 480 and 580, which is still more than I would like, but very noticeably less than 300W. There is literally no reason to have a GPU that doubles as a room heater any more. Not from Nvidia or AMD.

I'm not using the word "room heater" to exaggerate. The room heater I used to use draws 243W. It's now in the bathroom. I measured the power draw at the wall. These cards release more energy in heat every second than a heater designed to warm a room draws from the wall every second. And you guys are telling me how reasonable this is.

The 780 Ti had TDP between the 480 and 580, which is still more than I would like, but very noticeably less than 300W. There is literally no reason to have a GPU that doubles as a room heater any more. Not from Nvidia or AMD.

I'm not using the word "room heater" to exaggerate. The room heater I used to use draws 243W. It's now in the bathroom. I measured the power draw at the wall. These cards release more energy in heat every second than a heater designed to warm a room draws from the wall every second. And you guys are telling me how reasonable this is.

You understand that TDP is not a proper industry standard, and that NVidia is known to understate the TDP  a LOT. TDP is irrelevant in its own. You have to look at TDP/performance.

I hope that's sarcasm ;)

Since, you know, running a VGA cable off one of these would be a fucking disgrace.

Are you saying its bad that I use VGA on my 3440x1440 Monitor?

I use a active converter to go from DP to VGA then VGA to HDMI, to get that authentic retro cinematic feel.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

You understand that TDP is not a proper industry standard, and that NVidia is known to understate the TDP  a LOT. TDP is irrelevant in its own. You have to look at TDP/performance.

No you don't. You could have the most powerful GPU in the world, but if it makes your PC unpleasant to be around whether through noise or uncomfortable ambient temperature than that's just as big a part of the experience as the couple of extra FPS that card would get you.

They dumping DVI? man im old...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

*Ahem* http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-gm200-maxwell,4091-6.html

The Titan X runs pretty darn hot and thermal throttles. Nobody cares. I rest my case. AMD gets way too much unwarranted and unnecessary hate. I'm not AMD biased, just being objective. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Are you saying its bad that I use VGA on my 3440x1440 Monitor?

I use a active converter to go from DP to VGA then VGA to HDMI, to get that authentic retro cinematic feel.

I just threw up a little in my mouth.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I just threw up a little in my mouth.

I just use DP, but I saw a comment on PCPer about it not having DVI and VGA. I was think do people really still use that ancient tech. and HDMI and DP can both output DVI signals. I want 3 DP on my next card. other then that I don't care, it can even only have those 3 DP for all I care.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

*Ahem* http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-gm200-maxwell,4091-6.html

The Titan X runs pretty darn hot and thermal throttles. Nobody cares. I rest my case. AMD gets way too much unwarranted and unnecessary hate. I'm not AMD biased, just being objective. 

Well people don't really know much better to be honest. Before the 980 and 970 the 780 Ti and 780 had the ability to run pretty hot. My 780 runs hot as balls, I have to actually limit the temperature in EVGA Precision because it easily will go beyond the limits if I raise it to the 95C cap. This is even after a fresh re-Tim (why I re-Timmed it in the first place). I have it capped at 85C. In games it averages for the most part at around 78-83C. But if I load up Heaven or Valley maxed out @ 1080p it easily will sit at its cap at 85C throughout the majority of the benchmark with dips down to 83-84C. As a matter a fact, my card is currently limited by heat. I can boost all the way up to 1250MHz on the core, but it usually throttles down and averages at about 1175-1200MHz for the majority of my gaming sessions. Which is pretty disappointing. If this card came with an AIO Cooler stock, it would be glorious. I would have average temps of about 53-55C with just a single 120mm radiator and would be sitting at 1250MHz core all day. On top of that I would be able to flash a skyn3t bios on it and probably hit 1300MHz on the core easily (and maintain it).

So honestly, people being critical of AMD for going the watercooling route just aren't being very honest with themselves about the pros and cons of the situation. If my 780 came from the factory with an AIO cooler it would be quite a glorious card. I'm sure there are 780's out there that don't run as hot as mine, but I'm not talking about other variations of the card I'm talking about mine. And from my experience it runs pretty hot. If I don't have my Delta 120mmx38mm exhaust fan at least at 75% fan speed I can feel the heat radiating out of my case. If I ever wanted to SLI my 780 I would have been dumping a serious amount of heat into my case with or without the Deltas. 

I think this a slick move by AMD going the AIO cooler route, sure there will be people who will talk negatively about it. But really the pros heavily outweigh the cons of having a GPU with an AIO CLC cooler attached to it.

Pros:

Lower Temps

Higher Clocks

Lower Noise

Better Overclocks

Cons:

You have to use a 120mm fan slot to fit the radiator

Some people are afraid or critical of CLC coolers*

*not really a con, just some people are air cooling fan boys

01-PCB_w_600.jpg

Woah, is this thing Fermi based? So all the people who boast the lo power and temps of the 900 series are hypocrites, if they criticize AMD for high temps in Hawaii, and the WCE of 390x. Well fanboys, here is your thermo throttling joke :lol: