AMD Radeon R9 390X Teaser Pic – Definitely Water Cooled + Small Form Factor

BiG StroOnZ

I find this card ugly as hell. Seriously.

Looks shouldn't be your deciding factor, especially when there's likely going to be aftermarket versions of this from Sapphire and so on.

Woah, is this thing Fermi based? So all the people who boast the lo power and temps of the 900 series are hypocrites, if they criticize AMD for high temps in Hawaii, and the WCE of 390x. Well fanboys, here is your thermo throttling joke :lol:

It's not unknown that Fermi was hot. People who criticize AMD only for high TDP don't know what they're talking about. That does not, however, make people who boast about low TDP with Maxwell hypocrites.

It's not unknown that Fermi was hot. People who criticize AMD only for high TDP don't know what they're talking about. That does not, however, make people who boast about low TDP with Maxwell hypocrites.

If they glorify the Titan X, then yeah, they are. Otherwise, I agree. I have no problem with cards having low TDP or power efficiency, but to me, performance is the most important, and should not be belittled, when NVidia truly is just as bad.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

If they glorify the Titan X, then yeah, they are. Otherwise, I agree. I have no problem with cards having low TDP or power efficiency, but to me, performance is the most important, and should not be belittled, when NVidia truly is just as bad.

Titan X decimates every card on the market though, so I think it's TDP is fine.

Titan X decimates every card on the market though, so I think it's TDP is fine.

Even when it thermo throttles? What about the Titan Z, getting destroyed by a much cooler 295x2 then? The Titan X is pretty nice (at least before I learned it throttled, since AIB coolers are not allowed), but if it needs water cooling to work properly, there is no excuse to like this card, and criticize AMD for a WCE of 490x.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Even when it thermo throttles? What about the Titan Z, getting destroyed by a much cooler 295x2 then? The Titan X is pretty nice (at least before I learned it throttled, since AIB coolers are not allowed), but if it needs water cooling to work properly, there is no excuse to like this card, and criticize AMD for a WCE of 490x.

Go and research the difference between heat and temperature, then return to this thread. I can't be bothered to go over it again.

I've never heard of the TITAN X thermal throttling. Let's ask someone who owns two of them: @Prastupok

I've never heard of the TITAN X thermal throttling. Let's ask someone who owns two of them: @Prastupok

Sigh...

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344671-to-those-interested-in-a-titan-x-but-worried-about-thermals/#entry4694947

Here, I have yet to experience thermal throttling with a custom curve.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Sigh...

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344671-to-those-interested-in-a-titan-x-but-worried-about-thermals/#entry4694947

why so many pictures, my internet is dying trying to load them lol. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

why so many pictures, my internet is dying trying to load them lol. 

OSD images of temps, usage, vroom ram usage, etc.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Go and research the difference between heat and temperature, then return to this thread. I can't be bothered to go over it again.

This is (apparently) the second Titan card, in a row, that thermo throttles, and people laugh at AMD for using AIO. At least if we are to believe that Tomshardware link, further up. Being arrogant about it, does not help you. A titan x throttling and going over 100c on pcb surface is not good. That's higher than the 480 Fermi card. Of course this is using a pretty aggressive boost clock. I guess "boost clock" is now a fluid number.

Sigh...

Just commenting on the tomshardware link further up, not saying Titan X is a bad card, it is the single gpu koth card, until the 490x, I presume. Just pointing out, that people need to relax on the AMD heating bashing, and AIO water cooling bashing. If people wants a super high end koth card, it is not odd to factor in Water cooling.

Its pretty simple why they are moving to water cooling , its because of DX12 and scaling between multiple cards

This is (apparently) the second Titan card, in a row, that thermo throttles, and people laugh at AMD for using AIO. At least if we are to believe that Tomshardware link, further up. Being arrogant about it, does not help you. A titan x throttling and going over 100c on pcb surface is not good. That's higher than the 480 Fermi card. Of course this is using a pretty aggressive boost clock. I guess "boost clock" is now a fluid number.

I don't like the Titan X either due to the reference cooler, but you are hugely overstating the issue. You are ignoring the testimony of someone who owns two of them flat out debunking the notion that it throttles, and also (according to Tom's Hardware) actually sees max power consumption while torture testing (which remember must be a bigger number than TDP -- it can't produce more heat energy out than electrical energy went in) of 247W and typically only used 224W. Which is considerably less than the 300W heat output you are talking about.

I am not being arrogant about anything. I am talking about heat output and you keep going on about thermal throttling. Clearly you don't know how temperature and heat differ otherwise you wouldn't be claiming that a 300W card with a better cooler produces less heat than a 250W reference card.

I just use DP, but I saw a comment on PCPer about it not having DVI and VGA. I was think do people really still use that ancient tech. and HDMI and DP can both output DVI signals. I want 3 DP on my next card. other then that I don't care, it can even only have those 3 DP for all I care.

Haha well, the answer is yes and no.

In the business environment, VGA is crucial to have on things like Laptops, since most businesses will have lots of old projectors that only have VGA input. Also, the business laptop is expected to travel all around and have compatibility. Basically every projector has VGA (even higher end ones), so it's guaranteed compatibility.

However, outside of that fairly narrow usage scenario, most people have no use for VGA anymore.

Certainly, anyone buying a 390x is sure as hell not going to have a need for VGA.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I don't like the Titan X either due to the reference cooler, but you are hugely overstating the issue. You are ignoring the testimony of someone who owns two of them flat out debunking the notion that it throttles, and also (according to Tom's Hardware) actually sees max power consumption while torture testing (which remember must be a bigger number than TDP -- it can't produce more heat energy out than electrical energy went in) of 247W and typically only used 224W. Which is considerably less than the 300W heat output you are talking about.

I am not being arrogant about anything. I am talking about heat output and you keep going on about thermal throttling. Clearly you don't know how temperature and heat differ otherwise you wouldn't be claiming that a 300W card with a better cooler produces less heat than a 250W reference card.

Like I've said, the Titan X is a nice card and the throttling, is on a fairly high OC. My point is that Titan X, and in particular, the Titan Z, could have benefitted immensely by an AIO water cooler. But there seems to be a high  opposition to AIO coolers on graphics cards, even the koth cards. Some people are over emphasizing the consequences of power usage and tdp's in cards, when focusing on the 900 series versus the old 290 series. Yet NVidia are marginally better or the same in same age architectures.

I think we are misunderstanding each other. I'm talking about temps, when I talk about AIO's, and how well it deals with TDP. I don't believe I have ever claimed a 300w tdp card, produces less heat than a 150w tdp card. You claim of my so called ignorance, is on you.

Haha well, the answer is yes and no.

In the business environment, VGA is crucial to have on things like Laptops, since most businesses will have lots of old projectors that only have VGA input. Also, the business laptop is expected to travel all around and have compatibility. Basically every projector has VGA (even higher end ones), so it's guaranteed compatibility.

However, outside of that fairly narrow usage scenario, most people have no use for VGA anymore.

Certainly, anyone buying a 390x is sure as hell not going to have a need for VGA.

I still have 1080p monitors that only have DVI and VGA. If 1080p were still enough for me, do you really think I should upgrade to a different 1080p monitor just because it has a different cable on it? Is HDMI (because I've only ever seen one display device with display port and I'm using it now) really that important that you should buy a whole new monitor with otherwise identical specs just for it?

Like I've said, the Titan X is a nice card and the throttling, is on a fairly high OC. My point is that Titan X, and in particular, the Titan Z, could have benefitted immensely by an AIO water cooler. But there seems to be a high  opposition to AIO coolers on graphics cards, even the koth cards. Some people are over emphasizing the consequences of power usage and tdp's in cards, when focusing on the 900 series versus the old 290 series. Yet NVidia are marginally better or the same in same age architectures.

I think we are misunderstanding each other. I'm talking about temps, when I talk about AIO's, and how well it deals with TDP. I don't believe I have ever claimed a 300w tdp card, produces less heat than a 150w tdp card. You claim of my so called ignorance, is on you.

You can overclock anything so that it throttles. If you add enough voltage it will get hot. The Titan Z is a dual GPU card. I'm doing AMD the service of omitting the R9 295X2 out of this. Its absurd TDP of 600W (which is 100W more than the entire energy consumption of my PC) is not what I'm talking about. I am talking about single GPU (or CPUs) with stupidly high amounts of energy being wasted on heating the room you're in and then using an AIO to get around it, rather than fixing the actual problem which is making a card that doesn't produce more heat than an actual electric radiator.

People can not care about heat output all they like, that's up to them, but to say that even mentioning that it's a thing is wrong or biased or fanboyish when they are announcing yet another 300W patio heater in their next generation of cards just isn't right.

I still have 1080p monitors that only have DVI and VGA. If 1080p were still enough for me, do you really think I should upgrade to a different 1080p monitor just because it has a different cable on it? Is HDMI (because I've only ever seen one display device with display port and I'm using it now) really that important that you should buy a whole new monitor with otherwise identical specs just for it?

You can overclock anything so that it throttles. If you add enough voltage it will get hot. The Titan Z is a dual GPU card. I'm doing AMD the service of omitting the R9 295X2 out of this. Its absurd TDP of 600W (which is 100W more than the entire energy consumption of my PC) is not what I'm talking about. I am talking about single GPU (or CPUs) with stupidly high amounts of energy being wasted on heating the room you're in and then using an AIO to get around it, rather than fixing the actual problem which is making a card that doesn't produce more heat than an actual electric radiator.

People can not care about heat output all they like, that's up to them, but to say that even mentioning that it's a thing is wrong or biased or fanboyish when they are announcing yet another 300W patio heater in their next generation of cards just isn't right.

But it still makes no sense. You have to look at watt tdp/performance. It's not a problem that a 295x2 uses that much electricity and produces so much heat, when it outperforms anything on the market in compute for the price and tdp, at the point it was released. Again, you cannot compare a 2013 card with the newest NVidia low power stuff, obtained by butchering double precision.

I stand by that a 490x with 300w tdp is not an issue, if the performance follows suit.

Hmm? You don't need to buy a new monitor. DP can output an explicit DVI signal with the use of a simple passive DP to DVI adapter - these adapters cost like $10 on their own, and often come with the equipment (Our Dell workstations all use DP on the motherboard, and come with a DP to DVI adapter). So I don't know what you're talking about, sorry.

In addition to that, DP can output an HDMI signal too with the use of a cheap $10 DP to HDMI adapter. I've personally used (and purchased) both at work for various reasons.

My entire point was that VGA specifically is a totally useless I/O to have on a 390x. VGA is an analog signal that suffers from poor colour and is very susceptible to EMI (Most often in the form of slight "ghosting" or "slightly offset shadow images" on the monitor.

You yourself state that your Monitor supports HDMI - great, so use that.

Someone who is using a really old VGA Only monitor who bought a 390x can go out and buy a $10-$15 DP to VGA adapter (Which might even come in the box with the video card), and can go ahead and have a shittier experience if they don't wish to upgrade their monitor. They have that choice.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

But it still makes no sense. You have to look at watt tdp/performance. It's not a problem that a 295x2 uses that much electricity and produces so much heat, when it outperforms anything on the market in compute for the price and tdp, at the point it was released. Again, you cannot compare a 2013 card with the newest NVidia low power stuff, obtained by butchering double precision.

I stand by that a 490x with 300w tdp is not an issue, if the performance follows suit.

If I was talking about TDP/performance the Titan X would decimate anything by AMD. It's only the cooler that makes it unappealing to me. It is a problem that the 295X2, 290X or 390X produce as much heat as they do because if I played a game on them in summer my room would be upwards of 40 degrees celsius with SLI/Crossfire. If a card emits so much heat that I cannot be in the same room as it then I don't care whether or not it is throttling because I am not going to be gaming on the damned thing.

Hmm? You don't need to buy a new monitor. DP can output an explicit DVI signal with the use of a simple passive DP to DVI adapter - these adapters cost like $10 on their own, and often come with the equipment (Our Dell workstations all use DP on the motherboard, and come with a DP to DVI adapter). So I don't know what you're talking about, sorry.

In addition to that, DP can output an HDMI signal too with the use of a cheap $10 DP to HDMI adapter. I've personally used (and purchased) both at work for various reasons.

My entire point was that VGA specifically is a totally useless I/O to have on a 390x. VGA is an analog signal that suffers from poor colour and is very susceptible to EMI (Most often in the form of slight "ghosting" or "slightly offset shadow images" on the monitor.

You yourself state that your Monitor supports HDMI - great, so use that.

Someone who is using a really old VGA Only monitor who bought a 390x can go out and buy a $10-$15 DP to VGA adapter (Which might even come in the box with the video card), and can go ahead and have a shittier experience if they don't wish to upgrade their monitor. They have that choice.

I am using Display Port because I don't want to use 1080p. If a 21" 1080p monitor was all I wanted, then I'd be using the one that only had VGA because spending additional money on a choice of port is silly.

If I was talking about TDP/performance the Titan X would decimate anything by AMD. It's only the cooler that makes it unappealing to me. It is a problem that the 295X2, 290X or 390X produce as much heat as they do because if I played a game on them in summer my room would be upwards of 40 degrees celsius with SLI/Crossfire. If a card emits so much heat that I cannot be in the same room as it then I don't care whether or not it is throttling because I am not going to be gaming on the damned thing.

I am using Display Port because I don't want to use 1080p. If a 21" 1080p monitor was all I wanted, then I'd be using the one that only had VGA because spending additional money on a choice of port is silly.

Of course, the Titan X is more than 1½ years younger than Hawaii. A useless comparison. Let's see what 3/490x can do. Now again, if a 300w tdp card, performs similar, to 2x150w tdp cards, it can never be a bad thing. But yeah, if a 390x is 300w tdp, and only competes with a 980, then I understand the critique.

Of course, the Titan X is more than 1½ years younger than Hawaii. A useless comparison. Let's see what 3/490x can do. Now again, if a 300w tdp card, performs similar, to 2x150w tdp cards, it can never be a bad thing. But yeah, if a 390x is 300w tdp, and only competes with a 980, then I understand the critique.

You keep moving the parameters of your argument every time you post. It's pointless talking to you.

I'm never going to buy a card with a TDP of 300W because it's unusable for me in the Summer. I don't care how good its performance is if I cannot use it comfortably for up to a quarter of the year. I don't give a shit whether its brand colours are green or red -- this is a lesson I was taught by Nvidia cards in the past and that was only 244W.

You keep moving the parameters of your argument every time you post. It's pointless talking to you.

I'm never going to buy a card with a TDP of 300W because it's unusable for me in the Summer. I don't care how good its performance is if I cannot use it comfortably for up to a quarter of the year. I don't give a shit whether its brand colours are green or red -- this is a lesson I was taught by Nvidia cards in the past and that was only 244W.

I just don't get you. If you have 2x150w tdp cards, you'd prefer that to 1x300w tdp, even if performance is identical?

Or put in another way, a Titan X can pull about 250w tdp, at full load. If 3/490x is a 300w tdp card, and beats Titan X, to a better performance /w tdp, then why would that be a problem?

I just don't get you. If you have 2x150w tdp cards, you'd prefer that to 1x300w tdp, even if performance is identical?

Or put in another way, a Titan X can pull about 250w tdp, at full load. If 3/490x is a 300w tdp card, and beats Titan X, to a better performance /w tdp, then why would that be a problem?

Assuming that I want a single GPU. Assuming that I want to spend twice as much on the same performance. Assuming that I'm about to leap at the chance of trading my 0dB 970s for an obnoxious blower cooler.

Even if I didn't want dual GPUs straight away, it's something I would want to look at as an upgrade and such a ridiculously high TDP makes that completely off limits.