AMD Radeon R9 390X Teaser Pic – Definitely Water Cooled + Small Form Factor

BiG StroOnZ

well, at the end of the day when i am using it , wasn't it still high than normal.

Only the stock cooler was super bad. Once the AIB cards hit the marked, then the problem disappeared.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Only the stock cooler was super bad. Once the AIB cards hit the marked, then the problem disappeared.

i don't care if the cooler was bad or the TDP design, as a consumer i only care what temp my cards are being output at the end of the day, that was the point.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

i don't care if the cooler was bad or the TDP design, as a consumer i only care what temp my cards are being output at the end of the day, that was the point.

That is completely fair, and I don't think anyone would ever defend that crappy cooler solution, AMD chose. But the solution was simple: Buy an AIB card, with a non stock cooler, and problem is solved. But it cannot be easy for AMD, as they made a really beastly 295x2 with an AIO liquid cooler, which was a fantastic solution, and get gets criticized for that too.

But honestly, I doubt AMD will release new cards, with such a bad cooler in the future.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Because at 4K I need two of them. To match the performance of my 970s I need two of them. This means that my heat output goes way up to 600W. When I had two 580s in SLI that was only about 500W TDP (only LOL >_>) and that pushed my ambient temperature up past 40 Celsius which is absolutely unbearable without air conditioning. It also meant that the cards which did not ordinarily throttle absolutely did and there was no way I could play Tomb Raider for months at a time.

What if one 300w tdp card was enough for 4k? Ayeeeeee  ;)  

just an assumption 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

just an assumption 

There is one and it costs twice as much as what I have and it was released six months after I got my 970s. It's also a lot louder and runs at a higher temperature.

just an assumption 

Then 2x 150w tdp cards, would not be able to either, if they are about same generation. If you can afford to have 2 brand new koth cards in your pc, you can afford a case with 2x 120mm fans for radiators as well.

There is one and it costs twice as much as what I have and it was released six months after I got my 970s. It's also a lot louder and runs at a higher temperature.

Titan X? Eh eh ain't no where at 60fps 4K yet. Its tdp is also 250w only. 

Engineers put so much vram on that thing hoping heaven would cool the memory modules on the back.  

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Then 2x 150w tdp cards, would not be able to either, if they are about same generation. If you can afford to have 2 brand new koth cards in your pc, you can afford a case with 2x 120mm fans for radiators as well.

Oh right so after 10 pages of this you STILL think that TDP is reduced by radiators and that that will magically make my room cooler. Ok then.

Titan X? Eh eh ain't no where at 60fps 4K yet. Its tdp is also 250w only. 

Engineers put so much vram on that thing hoping heaven would cool the memory modules on the back.  

It's a higher TDP card, though, and the closest equivalent to a single GPU version of what I already have that exists.

It's a higher TDP card, though, and the closest equivalent to a single GPU version of what I already have that exists.

Yea... Might need another generation or so to meet the power of 2x 970s. Hopefully they don't put vram modules on the back of the new cards without anything to conduct the heat.  

Yea... Might need another generation or so to meet the power of 2x 970s. Hopefully they don't put vram modules on the back of the card without anything to conduct the heat.  

And you'd expect that, and it's why I am always going to talk about TDP as an issue. High performance, low TDP opens up multi GPU as a compelling option.

And you'd expect that, and it's why I am always going to talk about TDP as an issue. High performance, low TDP opens up multi GPU as a compelling option.

That would be a perfect world to live in. But sadly the real world does not work this way. High performance and low tdp wouldn't be coming to AMD anytime soon. Efficiency will always come at a premium.

Edit: might have read your post wrongly oops

That would be a perfect world to live in. But sadly the real world does not work this way. High performance and low tdp wouldn't be coming to AMD anytime soon. Efficiency will always come at a premium.

Edit: might have read your post wrongly oops

Maybe you read it wrong, I don't know :P

But there is literally no reason that we can't have performance and efficiency. Intel and Nvidia are both going that route. AMD are lagging behind.

We also need to kill the idea that AMD cards are necessarily cheap now that you mention the word "premium". They are right now because they are old. (Both in the sense that we're waiting for AMD to release their new line of stuff, and in the sense that some of their products are literally three years old at this point). The 290X's launch price was pretty much the same as the GTX 980's launch price, which put it somewhere between the 780 and the 780 Ti.

Oh right so after 10 pages of this you STILL think that TDP is reduced by radiators and that that will magically make my room cooler. Ok then.

No? What's up with the straw men? Water cooling is capable of more effectively removing heat from the GPU, and since it moves it to the side of the case, and exhaust it directly out of the case, the overall temp, will be lower inside the case, and a lot lower on the GPU itself. Why else do people go for water cooling, if not to handle higher tdp, especially at oc?

No? What's up with the straw men? Water cooling is capable of more effectively removing heat from the GPU, and since it moves it to the side of the case, and exhaust it directly out of the case, the overall temp, will be lower inside the case, and a lot lower on the GPU itself. Why else do people go for water cooling, if not to handle higher tdp, especially at oc?

I believe he's specifically referencing that while it will indeed keep the case temps down, all that heat is being exhausted into the room, and therefore bringing the ambient room temperature up.

With that in mind, his rig does say he's using 970 SLI, which would produce the same (or more) amount of heat as a 300w TDP single GPU.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

that pushed my ambient temperature up past 40 Celsius which is absolutely unbearable without air conditioning.

you can always watercool your whole room like linus did 

I believe he's specifically referencing that while it will indeed keep the case temps down, all that heat is being exhausted into the room, and therefore bringing the ambient room temperature up.

With that in mind, his rig does say he's using 970 SLI, which would produce the same (or more) amount of heat as a 300w TDP single GPU.

Exactly. I can't find the rationale in his posts. Perfomance/watt (tdp) is the only thing we need to care about, unless there is an upper limit to what your room can handle. But then you would not have SLI setups.

Maybe you read it wrong, I don't know :P

But there is literally no reason that we can't have performance and efficiency. Intel and Nvidia are both going that route. AMD are lagging behind.

We also need to kill the idea that AMD cards are necessarily cheap now that you mention the word "premium". They are right now because they are old. (Both in the sense that we're waiting for AMD to release their new line of stuff, and in the sense that some of their products are literally three years old at this point). The 290X's launch price was pretty much the same as the GTX 980's launch price, which put it somewhere between the 780 and the 780 Ti.

Nothing wrong with craving efficiency. But nothing we can do to get it. If we could have efficiency at AMD's prices, wouldn't it be better?

Not on every part of the world though... A 290x lighting could be had $100 cheaper than a G1 970 in my country. When the 290x launched there was a price difference off $70 between the 780 and the 290x here . (290x being cheaper)

Exactly. I can't find the rationale in his posts. Perfomance/watt (tdp) is the only thing we need to care about, unless there is an upper limit to what your room can handle. But then you would not have SLI setups.

Because you don't seem to be bothering to read my posts. I'm bored with you. I've said all I have to say to you. Read it  or don't.

Nothing wrong with craving efficiency. But nothing we can do to get it. If we could have efficiency at AMD's prices, wouldn't it be better?

Not on every part of the world though... A 290x lighting could be had $100 cheaper than a G1 970 in my country. When the 290x launched there was a price difference off $70 between the 780 and the 290x here . (290x being cheaper)

I bought a GTX 970 because two of them were only £100 more expensive than one 290X. For me AMD offer no price benefit over Nvidia so when I buy whichever is better value it's not a foregone conclusion which I end up getting.

I believe he's specifically referencing that while it will indeed keep the case temps down, all that heat is being exhausted into the room, and therefore bringing the ambient room temperature up.

Yes. So for the same performance my options are 300W Nvidia vs 600W AMD. Why is this so hard to grasp?

Also my experience of Fermi was constantly high TDP, not just under load. Obviously much higher under load, but simply having the cards on and idling would have a noticeable impact on ambient temperature. That wouldn't happen with any number of 970s. Dunno if it would happen with 290Xs either, but it definitely happened with 580s.

Well... personally, I don't care about how much power my cards draw, or how expensive they are.

I buy the cards that are the best, period.

I have a cluster in the next room drawing 7,500w... performance per watt means nothing to me, rock solid performance and reliability is what I need... don't generalize YOUR wants for everyone else.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Because you don't seem to be bothering to read my posts. I'm bored with you. I've said all I have to say to you. Read it  or don't.

I bought a GTX 970 because two of them were only £100 more expensive than one 290X. For me AMD offer no price benefit over Nvidia so when I buy whichever is better value it's not a foregone conclusion which I end up getting.

Yes. So for the same performance my options are 300W Nvidia vs 600W AMD. Why is this so hard to grasp?

Also my experience of Fermi was constantly high TDP, not just under load. Obviously much higher under load, but simply having the cards on and idling would have a noticeable impact on ambient temperature. That wouldn't happen with any number of 970s. Dunno if it would happen with 290Xs either, but it definitely happened with 580s.

300W vs 600W right now, but this thread is about the upcoming 390x.

What if, hypothetically speaking, that single 390x, at the same TDP as your SLI setup, beats your SLI setup in performance? At that point, it would seem to me, that having the single card would "hypothetically" be better, assuming it was more powerful than 970 SLI while having the same TDP.

Now, we're not even 100% sure how well the 390x will perform, but if the rumours that it meets or exceeds the Titan X are true, then it could turn into a very compelling offering, without being power/energy inefficient.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I am reading your posts, where you claim I don't understand the difference between watt/tdp and temps. Performance/tdp is important, not how much a single card produces of heat, unless you have a max your case/room can handle.

As for the second thing, you are the only one talking about Hawaii cards, the rest of this thread is talking about Fiji. Fiji being 300w is not a problem, if it beats 970 SLI in performance, and if it's watercooled, temps will not be an issue either.

Well... personally, I don't care about how much power my cards draw, or how expensive they are.

I buy the cards that are the best, period.

I have a cluster in the next room drawing 7,500w... performance per watt means nothing to me, rock solid performance and reliability is what I need... don't generalize YOUR wants for everyone else.

That sounds pretty insane (in a good way). But performance/watt tdp, is generally what people are interested in, and what everyone talks about with NVidia's 900 series. If you want the fastest thing, with no concern for watt/tdp, that's cool, I'm not speaking on your behalf, but temps might set a performance limit, much faster, if performance/tdp is bad. It's good on a Titan X, which is why you can OC that quite a bit on air alone.

-snip-

Performance per dollar is what most people go for actually...

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Performance per dollar is what most people go for actually...

True, as money is the most limiting factor for most people :D But with all the talk about how great the 900 series is, because it uses less electricity, it seems people are very fixated on performance/ watt tdp too. Or maybe it's just a case of what NVidia is the best at, is the most important thing ever.

Either way, the entire point is that 390x, being a 300w part (if that is the case), is not inherently a negative thing.

300W vs 600W right now, but this thread is about the upcoming 390x.

What if, hypothetically speaking, that single 390x, at the same TDP as your SLI setup, beats your SLI setup in performance? At that point, it would seem to me, that having the single card would "hypothetically" be better, assuming it was more powerful than 970 SLI while having the same TDP.

Now, we're not even 100% sure how well the 390x will perform, but if the rumours that it meets or exceeds the Titan X are true, then it could turn into a very compelling offering, without being power/energy inefficient.

It's kind of irrelevant because I already have the SLI setup. Even if something lower powered, better performance and even cheaper were released tomorrow, it's not really worth buying a whole new GPU over.

But if I didn't have my 970s and were in the position of buying new then there are a few considerations I would need to look at. Firstly how idle power consumption sits. Power consumption and heat output aren't the same thing, but they're very intimately related. Is the higher TDP card going to produce more heat at idle than two lower TDP cards? Past experience would say it's definitely a possibility. Secondly, is performance enough that I can never envisage myself wanting to double up ever? It's not unfathomable to think that 4K requirements could step up dramatically in the next few years. I'm not going to upgrade my 970s for a while, but when I do I'm going to look at the best performance I can afford, and that's probably going to be SLI/CF.

Plus two cards just look awesome.

I am reading your posts, where you claim I don't understand the difference between watt/tdp and temps. Performance/tdp is important, not how much a single card produces of heat, unless you have a max your case/room can handle.

As for the second thing, you are the only one talking about Hawaii cards, the rest of this thread is talking about Fiji. Fiji being 300w is not a problem, if it beats 970 SLI in performance, and if it's watercooled, temps will not be an issue either.

You clearly aren't because for the nth time watercooling a card does shit all to your room's ambient temperature!!