Apple wants to kill free music streaming(Spotify) ahead of Beats relaunch

Apple is preparing to launch its subscription based music service, but it faces a lot of competition on the market. To make it easier for them, The Verge reports that Apple is pushing music labels to prevent any sort of free music distribution, even if supported by ads, in favor of paying only. This move, if successful, is expected to dramatically reduce competition for Apple.

According to The Verge, apple is being investigated by the Department of Justice for its business practices in the music industry with its upcoming Beats streaming service.

Apple_Beats_1.0.jpg

Apple has been using its considerable power in the music industry to stop the music labels from renewing Spotify’s license to stream music through its free tier. Spotify currently has 60 millions, but only 15 million of them are paid users. Getting the music labels to kill the freemium ones from Spotify and others could put Apple in prime position to grab a large swath of new users when it launches its own streaming service, which is widely expected to feature a considerable amount of exclusive content. "All the way up to Tim Cook, these guys are cutthroat," one music industry source said.

This also includes YouTube

Sources also indicated that Apple offered to pay YouTube’s music licensing fee to Universal Music Group if the label stopped allowing its songs on YouTube. Apple is seemingly trying to clear a path before its streaming service launches, which is expected to debut at WWDC in June. If Apple convinces the labels to stop licensing freemium services from Spotify and YouTube, it could take out a significant portion of business from its two largest music competitors.

Source:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/4/8540935/apple-labels-spotify-streaming

What do you think of this? Do you think Spotify has a chance to fight Apple's influence on the industry?

Did I hear someone saying Apple is the better choice?

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

ANTI TRUST ANTI TRUST ANTI TRUST ANTI TRUST ANTI TRUST

YOU SUED MICROSOFT FOR IE, SUE APPLE FOR THIS

it's funny really, looking back at that anti-trust case with Microsoft we ask was bundling an internet browser really anti-competitive? Nowadays everyone just downloads a new browser, quick and simple. Even back then you could install another browser if you wanted to not use IE. It was just more convenient for people to use the one bundled with the os as it got the job done just as well as the others.

Dear Apple:

Dear Apple, I am sincerely disappointed with your recent action that you are doing. I must protest. On this note, I would like to request, if possible, and at your own time, to stop your action and elegantly move aside on this. Let competition take place as normal.

-the rest of the non apple koolaid drinking world.

It time to raise the pirate flag me matey's ARGHHHH

YARRR!

Did I hear someone saying Apple is the better choice?

You did not. Because it's not, ever.

Edited by GoodBytes
insult clean up

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

classic apple in action

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Dick move apple, dick move if this goes through. Some people like myself can't afford Spotify premium, what makes them think I'm going to cough up when its no longer free via legal sources. This'll just increase piracy dramatically, then watch the NSA and GCHQ have an absolute fit trying to track it all.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

In this case, if real, Apple deserves all the hate. Such a dirty move from them.

Doesn't this count as anti competitive? We have laws against this right?( In the U.S.)

"Apple is a great company!" - Apple fanboys. They're all wrong, if this happens.

-snip-

Even if it happens ... Music stars become what they are because their music is accessible. Make your product hard to get or exclusive, someone else will take your place. I mean there is a new music start every 2 weeks now. 

To make it easier for them, The Verge reports that Apple is pushing music labels to prevent any sort of free music distribution, even if supported by ads, in favor of paying only. This move, if successful, is expected to dramatically reduce competition for Apple.

Dick move apple there. I can hear the apple supporters roaring to have their favourite apple on their spotify clone.

Well not gonna happen , they cant touch spotify . Mark my words.

Also this is extremely anti competitive and shady.

Even if it happens ...

it just won't the list of parties against that is huge

- EU

- USA

- Google (Youtube)

- Spotify

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

This is monopolistic and dumb.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

Say what you want, Apple is far superior for music purchasing and streaming TwIj8W3.png

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Go download torrents and shut up already.

Every other company strives to attract customers by offering a service that is better than the free alternative. Not Apple, they try to make the free  alternative unuseable to make their own service seem better, because they know they can't beat spotify or youtube. Okay apple, everyone's going to love you for this and is totally not going to either pirate or choose one of the other million options.

Oh, and any "exclusive music" is not worth listening to.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

This is some real anticompetitive shit right here. If they try to do this, I expect the FTC to do something about it. There is no way this would ever go through. 

People still buy music? TwIj8W3.pngBut in all seriousness, this is a really stupid idea and can't believe that it made it this far. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x  GPU: ASUS Strix rtx 2080 Super RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 8gb x4 PSU: Corsair HX850i Motherboard: ASUS Strix x570-E Storage: Samsung 840 pro, Samsung 970 evo 1tb nvme, segate 2tb Case: NZXT H510I Cooling: Corsair h100i

inb4 Apple hatred and cult talk.

In seriousness, though, this is very anti-competitive and monopolistic. May the 4th be with you, Apple, but if you do this you may see the revenge of the fifth.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

I wonder if this has got something to do with http://grooveshark.com shutting down

No. GS was sued into oblivion. They had a number of the big record companies file against them about 2 or 3 years ago already. My coworker was saying the final number came out to about $700M in damages (from the interwebs: http://www.kitguru.net/gaming/jon-martindale/grooveshark-could-be-forced-to-pay-700-million-in-damages/).They folded and gave them everything instead.

Please move away from this, Apple Edited by GoodBytes
Insult filtering

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*