Experiences with non-techies

I guess it's in hibernation.

Well at least we're in the right place :P

(sorry I had to)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I guess it's in hibernation.

Hibernation and sleep are really no different, hibernation just moves everything to the RAM and the storage so you can wake from sleep faster but also not loose anything from a power loss. It shouldn't take longer to wake from hibernation

EDIT: I meant hybrid sleep, but with an SSD it still shouldn't take too much longer than sleep, a few secs tops.

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

Hibernation and sleep are really no different, hibernation just moves everything to the RAM and the storage so you can wake from sleep faster but also not loose anything from a power loss. It shouldn't take longer to wake from hibernation

No, they are totally different.  first of all, what you've described is Windows's hybrid sleep mode which first copies everything to disk, and then sleeps, so you can resume as if it was sleep, unless the power goes out in which case you can resume as if it was hibernation.

Sleep is just a suspension to RAM.  The computer remains "on" and though it uses much less power, if power is lost, it is as if the plug was pulled.  Resuming from sleep should not take more than 5 seconds.

In hibernation, it is a suspension to disk, so the machine is physically "off" - you can unplug it, boot a different OS, whatever, but then when you come back, instead of booting normally, it just reloads that bulk file into RAM and continues where you left off.  Resuming from hibernation will take POST time + a boot time (but a much smaller than normal one)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

No, they are totally different.  first of all, what you've described is Windows's hybrid sleep mode which first copies everything to disk, and then sleeps, so you can resume as if it was sleep, unless the power goes out in which case you can resume as if it was hibernation.

Sleep is just a suspension to RAM.  The computer remains "on" and though it uses much less power, if power is lost, it is as if the plug was pulled.

In hibernation, it is a suspension to disk, so the machine is physically "off" - you can unplug it, boot a different OS, whatever, but then when you come back, instead of booting normally, it just reloads that bulk file into RAM and continues where you left off

ik I edited my post I was just being dumb and all that

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

Got a real good one from today at work.

So I was leaving the store, having just finished my shift last night when a woman stopped me, and asked where the printers were. I told her kindly I wasn't on shift, and directed her towards one of my mates who was still working. After a few moments I packed up and left for the day. Nothing too crazy... Or at least I thought.

I came back in this morning for another shift, only to see the same woman from last night waiting in front of the store for it to open. I paused for a moment and went in, telling her we would be open in just a few moments, as my manager had yet to unlock the front doors. About 20 minutes into my shift the woman came to my department and walked straight up to me, "Let's try this again. And this time don't pass me off to someone else you brat."

Her statement caught me really off guard, I wasn't expecting it at all. I said something along the lines of, "Sorry? What do you need ma'am?" to which she responded "Have you forgotten already?!"

At this point I was really, really confused, and threw a text over to my mate who I had passed her off to the previous night, asking what had happened last night. She got really, really, really upset at me for having my phone out, and insisted I give it to her, to make sure I would be distracted. I kindly told her I cannot simply hand over a $500 phone, and moved on to asking her again what she needed. She waffled back and forth about needing a laser printer, that used ink cartridges, or some crap. I told her that there were two main kinds of printers, ink jet printers, and laser prints, which both use different types of mechanisms, and that laser printers don't use ink carts in the way she was describing. She waffled back and forth on the subject, so I showed her a couple of our laser printers, she apparently found the one she was looking for and had me ring it up for her. Lucky enough we had gotten a shipment of them last night after closing.

Anyway, day goes on fairly well after that, until nearing the end of my shift, when my department manager pulls me aside and tells me there's been a serious complaint leveled against me by a customer this morning. I was baffled, before remembering the old woman. She leveled a complaint that I had verbally abused her, and refused her service the previous night, and this morning, which made no sense at all. My manager knows me well enough to simply throw the complaint out the window, but still... Like jesus.... this woman is completely crazy.

OH, found out a little while ago that my friend who had helped her last night was supposed to help her that morning finish up the purchase, since we didn't have any of the printer she was looking for, but that it was being delivered that night. So apparently, she though I was he, and he was I. W/e, some bitches be cray yo.

TLDR: Crazy woman thought I was another employee, after I politely helped her, tried to get me fired for verbally abusing her, and refusing her service... There's more to it, but that's the jist.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Got a real good one from today at work.

*snip*

wow lol that would have gone very differently if that has been me.  Where ever you work is lucky to have you :)

wow lol that would have gone very differently if that has been me.  Where ever you work is lucky to have you :)

Dealing with, rather stressful situations is something I've just come to excel at. Between teaching a pre-school class, and trying to oversee a group of extremely hot headed competitive gamers, it's just something you either learn to do well, or fail miserably at... Hopefully, if my current ability to wrangle a half dozen screaming children isn't proof enough, I've learned to cope with that stress :3

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Dealing with, rather stressful situations is something I've just come to excel at. Between teaching a pre-school class, and trying to oversee a group of extremely hot headed competitive gamers, it's just something you either learn to do well, or fail miserably at... Hopefully, if my current ability to wrangle a half dozen screaming children isn't proof enough, I've learned to cope with that stress :3

Sounds like good practice!  Yeah, I wouldn't have gotten visibly mad or aggressive or anything like that.  I would have been completely professional about it, but unlike you I would not have stood for 1 second of that; she would have been removed from the building for being unruly and abusive before the store even opened lol

lol @Madfang why'd you go through and like basically all my posts? 

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

Sorry [emoji17] Trying to read all posts from the start & I press like to the posts I like [emoji17]

Saaaaame.

Like, I'm not really complaining since I'm a like whore, but man o man does it make finding normal shit a PITA.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Saaaaame.

Like, I'm not really complaining since I'm a like whore, but man o man does it make finding normal shit a PITA.

Damn, gonna have to stop liking posts on LTT then [emoji52]

my PC boots in 5 seconds on an 850evo 500gb windows 10 xD

My PC boots in one second on a 950 PRO 512 GB with Windows 10. M.2 PCIe FTW.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

A few years back I had this classmate who said that a "worm" that infected his pc "ate" his desktop icons one by one.

CPU: Intel i5-4590 | Motherboard: Asus H97M-E | GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 | RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Sandisk Plus 240Gb HDD: Seagate 250Gb  | PSU: Seasonic G650 80+ Gold | Case: NZXT S340

I am who I am.

A few years back I had this classmate who said that a "worm" that infected his pc "ate" his desktop icons one by one.

Lol that's amazing!

An old man I know at office sent me an email with several attachments. Its all documents and important files.

He said that there is something wrong with his internet connection at home that he cannot connect at all to internet. So he sent me those files to me via email so I can forward it to his boss, through his pc, using his internet connection.

So my friend told me this one today:

Her Mum recently got an iPhone 6s, and last night she let her iPhone do an OTA update to 9.0.2. Once it updated, like iOS always does it displayed the multi language 'hello' screen... and then proceeded to freeze. She was slightly tipsy at the time and started bawling her eyes out thinking she'd lost all her contacts. My friend just grabbed the phone off her and hard reset it. Her Mum was like "What did you do?!"

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY

Le USD $300 Second Hand Potato

CPU: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8GHz Motherboard: Intel DP55WG RAM: 12GB Corsair Budget 1333MHz (2x2GB+2x4GB) GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 512MB Case: Cooler Master Elite Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB PSU: Cooler Master Generic 500W (came with case) Displays: 21.5" 1080p Acer G226HQL Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Mx Reds) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Turtle Beach X12's Operating System: Windows 10

Yep... My peripherals cost me more than the rig itself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Plugging in a wireless usb mouse and trolling someone is the best thing.

they go to move the cursor down, and instead it moves up.

Then they get this "whaaaat" look on their face.

Then they fight the mouse, by rapidly moving the mouse up again and again on the mouse mat.

it's the funniest thing, honestly..

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

When your friend goes. "I like my phone, it's got QHD so i know that it'll last a while"

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Hold on, let me hop on a boat for 4 hours (I am on holiday), walk half an hour to my friends house, knock on his door and press his bullshit button.

Another one:

I started working in my current job as a web developer 3 months ago. Our company is a publishing company and we have an online bookstore and e-Library. A few days back, the manager of the online sales and e-library (she's been working here for years) came to me excitedly and said:

Her: I just discovered this new feature of the library ! Open anything from there and I'll show you.

Me: (opened something randomly from the library)

Her:(Grabs the keyboard). . . . (Presses ctrl+F) . . . . (Types a word)

Still her: See ! You can easily find keywords using this feature !

Me: Oh. Maybe it's in the browser ma'am (trying not to embarrass her)

Her: No ! I don't think even Sir X (the owner of the company) knows this !

At this point I was so surprised, baffled, shocked, or whatever that I was not able to speak a word. Seriously. Then she walked out of the room high and mighty and proud.

CPU: Intel i5-4590 | Motherboard: Asus H97M-E | GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 | RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Sandisk Plus 240Gb HDD: Seagate 250Gb  | PSU: Seasonic G650 80+ Gold | Case: NZXT S340

I am who I am.

Another one:

I started working in my current job as a web developer 3 months ago. Our company is a publishing company and we have an online bookstore and e-Library. A few days back, the manager of the online sales and e-library (she's been working here for years) came to me excitedly and said:

Her: I just discovered this new feature of the library ! Open anything from there and I'll show you.

Me: (opened something randomly from the library)

Her:(Grabs the keyboard). . . . (Presses ctrl+F) . . . . (Types a word)

Still her: See ! You can easily find keywords using this feature !

Me: Oh. Maybe it's in the browser ma'am (trying not to embarrass her)

Her: No ! I don't think even Sir X (the owner of the company) knows this !

At this point I was so surprised, baffled, shocked, or whatever that I was not able to speak a word. Seriously. Then she walked out of the room high and mighty and proud.

lol wow ... the sad thing is that there will be a larger number of people out there to whom this is impressive than there will be that she should be embarrassed to show this to :)

A virus that deletes your desktop icons sounds pretty plausible, sounds better than having your data held for ransom or stopping your PC from booting altogether

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

A virus that deletes your desktop icons sounds pretty plausible, sounds better than having your data held for ransom or stopping your PC from booting altogether

Who knows if his story is true. We were talking about the difference of a virus from a worm then he just said that. Though that kind of virus can really be shrugged off. :D

I am who I am.