Home-made wooden case.

Jambls

Project Build a Wooden Case

Welcome to my build log for my home-made case. In this build log, I will be documenting myself building a computer case out of wood. I have a design in my head but it is hard to explain with words and my current computer can't do CAD so you are going to have to wait to see what it is going to be like. All I can tell you is it will be a perfect cube and it will be ~42cm cubed. And that noctuas might match a case for the first time in history. :P

Why?

I am building the case because it is cheap and it is individual. Nobody will have a case the same an mine and I can have support for some ungodly amount of fans and hard drives. I probably could even fit another small system in there if I really tried. Also I have a few weeks of summer holiday left and I am bored.

The materials

4 2 feet by 4 feet sheets of 9mm plywood (I will only need 3 of the sheets)

2 33.3mm by 33.33mm pieces of plained timber.

1 piece of 6mm dowel.

I also have some scrap wood lying around that I can use if needed

The start of the build

tSekGcD.jpg

This is what I have to start building with. I will get the other piece of plained timber later.

B7fkU2v.jpg

This is the rig I used to cut the ply to size. We do not have a very good selection of clamps here but I will make the best of what I have. And yes, the handle on the G clamp is bent. That was my dad fighting with a sticky break calliper on his jeep.

5T73tkt.jpg

Finished cutting. That's all the scrap and the pieces I will use for the build.

3ZcEROi.jpg

That is my dog "helping" me with smoothing the cuts and making sure everything is the right size.

GMQGM43.jpg

Finally finished with the rasp. I wore my slippers for that. They are now covered in sawdust.

That's all for today. Tomorrow I will start cutting the plained timber and possibly get another piece of it.

Looking forward to seeing this, absolutely love wooden cases! 

Build: GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 780 CPU: Intel i5 4690 MoBo: AsRock Fatal1ty H97 Killer RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB PSU: Seasonic 550W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Obsidian 500R

Dayum :D

It looks very nice :D

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

I like how you were in socks and how the dog is being used as a stand lol

Also good choice for going with a cube desing ;) Thank you imperius....

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Only read the title and I'm already hooked. Followed - about to read the post now.

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

Let me just say: Your grass looks amazing. Anyways, this looks great. are you planning on using mITX, ITX, mATX, or what?

Thanks about the grass. It will be ATX.

Did you take your dog for a walk in the forest recently? Cause it looks like he ate some bad shrooms :P

She was not co-operating with me. that was the closest one to looking at the camera

I was going to ask if you were going to veneer the sides, but then I say you were talking about true plywood, not the colloquial engineered boards that most people call plywood these days.

Should look nice. Might I recommend a 'red cedar' like stain with that? Also enjoy the sealing process!  

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I was going to ask if you were going to veneer the sides, but then I saw you were talking about true plywood, not the colloquial engineered boards that most people call plywood these days.

Should look nice. Might I recommend a 'red cedar' like stain with that? Also enjoy the sealing process!  

What do you mean by engineering boards?

Thanks for the recommendation for the stain but I am not sure what I am doing for that yet. I will cross that bridge once I get there but for now, I am going to build it.

What do you mean by engineering boards?

Thanks for the recommendation for the stain but I am not sure what I am doing for that yet. I will cross that bridge once I get there but for now, I am going to build it.

Sorry I meant OBS (which makes up part of engineered lumber like this stuff http://www.buildgp.com/engineered-lumber ...)  my mistake.

Like this http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-1-2-4-ft-x-8-ft-Oriented-Strand-Board-787792/100072564

Basically everyone just calls that plywood though so it's hard for me to sometimes remember the difference.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

She was not co-operating with me. that was the closest one to looking at the camera

Haha :P I can never get my dog to look at the camera either, but her eyes were so far off :P

That is chip board to me.

Story time: I bought the ply online because i could only get 3mm here and not the stronger 9mm that I wanted but I got sent 3mm and not 9mm so this delayed the build log by about a week.

Haha :P I can never get my dog to look at the camera either, but her eyes were so far off :P

I don't want to clutter this thread with pics of my dog, but http://imgur.com/5BR1r3K

That is chip board to me.

Story time: I bought the ply online because i could only get 3mm here and not the stronger 9mm that I wanted but I got sent 3mm and not 9mm so this delayed the build log by about a week.

I don't want to clutter this thread with pics of my dog, but http://imgur.com/5BR1r3K

Ahh dammit, you are in GB. I forgot that people outside of the US don't use exclusively wood to build houses with haha.

9 mm is pretty near to 3/8th in board right? a 3mm board isn't much thicker than a veneer itself, definitely not case material.

Also shameless plug to Kurald Galain, my black-out x99 build available http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/430810-kurald-galain-a-x99-blackout-build/

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

dp

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Ahh dammit, you are in GB. I forgot that people outside of the US don't use exclusively wood to build houses with haha.

9 mm is pretty near to 3/8th in board right? a 3mm board isn't much thicker than a veneer itself, definitely not case material.

GB is weird about imperial and metric. The ply is sold in feet x feet x mm.

9mm is about 3/8th.

Update:

I bought another piece of planed timber from my local shop along with some sandpaper and some wood glue this morning, since my dad was taking the car down to the town and a 2.4m piece of wood is hard to carry up a hill with no pavements.

Today I cut the planed timber.YFDRssl.jpg

This is the tools I used.

MNAeMVB.jpg

I cut the wood into 4 431mm pieces and 7 365mm pieces.

2E4NTfH.jpg

I should have 8 pieces but there was a gash in the wood in the middle of a piece so I need another piece to get one small piece. Ugh.

Den1vP8.jpg

I have tested the dowels and I have decided to get smaller dowels as these ones are too close to the edge.

Shopping list:

1 planed timber.

2 pieces of 6mm dowel.

That's all for today.

It's a case, I'm yellin' TIMBERRRR

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

no dogey? no likey

I can get pics of her, but none helping him. she was sleeping in the sun all day today.