Experiences with non-techies

As a new forum member (well active member) and learning for an IT career I work with a lot of more elderly people and fix there computers as they not able to most of the time and that most computer shops cost way to much Its that I have to explain that when there computer has a virus and then have to explain that it doesn't mean instant death or that they have to throw there computer away.

Yeah I think this boils down to a lot of people not knowing the difference between the OS + software, and the physical hardware

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

i was on YouTube just now, being bored, so i just tried serching up some random stuff. there was a video where a guy said "...OR, buy a better computer." then some guy replied "Everyone ain't got the money to do so. Also, 3k computers are mostly shitty"

"Never quote yourself"

-I need a better name

you can clearly still see the orb underneath...

Never noticed that before . but I would say it is the background to the Sonic image rather than the Sonic image is laid over the start orb

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

My PC boots up in around 30 seconds with a Seagate Barracude. Windows 10

My laptop boots up in around 20 seconds with the HDD. Windows 8.1

my PC boots in 5 seconds on an 850evo 500gb windows 10 xD

my PC boots in 5 seconds on an 850evo 500gb windows 10 xD

My pc takes about 10 mins to get to a useable state. the first 5 get me to the sign in page and the next 5 is getting to the desktop and waiting for everything that is in the background to load.

This, in my opinion, is the only true way to deal with someone who just won't stop. I'm generally a nice, non-violent person bu there are some people in my school who are just gonna push me off the edge and are gonna finally get what's coming to them. Someday...

Demons run when a good man goes to war.

did you get this quote from what its actually from or just from doctor who?

My pc takes about 10 mins to get to a useable state. the first 5 get me to the sign in page and the next 5 is getting to the desktop and waiting for everything that is in the background to load.

kek

Eh?  I thought the poem was written by Steven Moffat for the doctor Who episode.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Eh?  I thought the poem was written by Steven Moffat for the doctor Who episode.

oh i thought steven moffat ripped it off but im not sure

Ahh... DW.

And Yeah I thought that as well. It's still a good quote though, Holds true imho

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

My PC takes a while to get to the working state too... Usually it's 5-7 minutes

My PC takes a while to get to the working state too... Usually it's 5-7 minutes

My PC ends up in the desktop in 54.75 seconds after a cold boot, but takes a few mins for it to warm up and be responsive enough for usage, like opening chrome

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

My PC ends up in the desktop in 54.75 seconds after a cold boot, but takes a few mins for it to warm up and be responsive enough for usage, like opening chrome

Every time I hear someone saying that they need to wait for things to be usable after logging on, I can only assume they're not running on SSDs because to me this behaviour is a painful but thankfully distant memory :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Pretty much sum up what I find when fixing friend's laptop...

What I usually say to them...

wOIF3.jpg

sRBMy.jpg

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

wow, this thread still exists?

Yep. Apparently so. But almost never on topic like the early days.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

Yeah, my PC does most the same thing, so from like a month I put it into sleep mode instead of turning it off... But my PC takes like a minute to get out from Sleep mode which sucks... But atleast I don't have to wait so long till it's usable [emoji4]

Yeah, my PC does most the same thing, so from like a month I put it into sleep mode instead of turning it off... But my PC takes like a minute to get out from Sleep mode which sucks... But atleast I don't have to wait so long till it's usable [emoji4]

How on earth does it take a minute to wake from sleep!?

How on earth does it take a minute to wake from sleep!?

Mine takes approximately 30-45 seconds to wake from sleep.

Mine takes approximately 30-45 seconds to wake from sleep.

Like, from suspend to RAM... standby?  Not hibernation?  What is going on here...  :wacko:

Like, from suspend to RAM... standby?  Not hibernation?  What is going on here...  :wacko:

In windows 10, the sleep option takes around 30 seconds to resume, from the time I press the power button to the time the desktop appears.

In windows 10, the sleep option takes around 30 seconds to resume, from the time I press the power button to the time the desktop appears.

that's insane, you could resume from hibernation that fast.  Are you sure that's not what it's doing?  Try hitting just the keyboard next time.  If that doesn't wake it up, you're not in standby :)

that's insane, you could resume from hibernation that fast.  Are you sure that's not what it's doing?  Try hitting just the keyboard next time.  If that doesn't wake it up, you're not in standby :)

I guess it's in hibernation.