Experiences with non-techies

I had a friend a couple years ago who thought he had a virus on his iphone because of the Bluetooth symbol in the corner, he took it to apple to get fixed and they charged him like 50 bucks

that's just sad

"Never quote yourself"

-I need a better name

I had a friend a couple years ago who thought he had a virus on his iphone because of the Bluetooth symbol in the corner, he took it to apple to get fixed and they charged him like 50 bucks

Is it policy to rip off customers who don't know better?

Pentium G3258, R9 280X, Corsair CS600M, Gigabyte GA-H81M-H, 2 Random monitors, a no-name keyboard, a cheap $15 Logitech mouse.

LG G3 Vigor

probably

It's not just apple man...

SST (a local tech repair company) almost ripped me off 4k PhP (~80USD) for an internal laptop cleaning...

Addendum:

356479.jpg

source: http://hugelol.com/lol/356479

I've had lots of experiences with non-techies, some more cringe-worthy than others. However, I won't put you through all of them.

Recently, one of my friends asked me why he needed wifi to play multiplayer games. He also asked if he could use Bluetooth instead of wifi, because his 'house doesn't have a wifi'. He also thinks our school wifi killed his old computer, because it made his PC 'troubleshoot'. He said it as if it was a bad thing, and I... I didn't have any words remaining for that. I've actually decided to take him under my wing, though, in order to better his understanding. It's been going well so far.

I've had lots of experiences with non-techies, some more cringe-worthy than others. However, I won't put you through all of them.

Recently, one of my friends asked me why he needed wifi to play multiplayer games. He also asked if he could use Bluetooth instead of wifi, because his 'house doesn't have a wifi'. He also thinks our school wifi killed his old computer, because it made his PC 'troubleshoot'. He said it as if it was a bad thing, and I... I didn't have any words remaining for that. I've actually decided to take him under my wing, though, in order to better his understanding. It's been going well so far.

You have to be nice to them sometimes.

The hell did they do?! Put his phone inside a pentagram and dance around it in a satanic ritual while showering confetti?!

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

The hell did they do?! Put his phone inside a pentagram and dance around it in a satanic ritual while showering confetti?!

much spam?

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

It is Apple's very existence; it's how Apple products get bought in the first place :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Man, I haven't done tech support in a while. No new stories :<

Should probably take on a few clients for moar lulzy content

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

They could probably just be taking advantage of the people out there who are just dying to throw money at their problems to fix them.

I mean, countless people wouldn't blink an eyelid if you tell them it costs $300 to remove a virus, even though it might just need a scan with MalwareBytes in Safe Mode.

So...Today, I got on my programming class....and apparently the tech guys in our school are "messing around with the servers", and I'm now blocked access to my OWN files. I can create a new folder on desktop, then get denied access when I click it xD.

On the plus side, at least I can access LTT forums from there.

This is a signature.

So...Today, I got on my programming class....and apparently the tech guys in our school are "messing around with the servers", and I'm now blocked access to my OWN files. I can create a new folder on desktop, then get denied access when I click it xD.

this is hardly "experience with non-techies" ... and when emergency modifications are done on a large network, problems are bound to happen. Thinking a network will be problem free 100% of the time is completely unrealistic.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

this is hardly "experience with non-techies" ... and when emergency modifications are done on a large network, problems are bound to happen. Thinking a network will be problem free 100% of the time is completely unrealistic.

Yeah, but the standard for high reliability is 99.999% uptime (see 5 9s on wikipedia)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Yeah, but the standard for high reliability is 99.999% uptime (see 5 9s on wikipedia)

thanks for agreeing with me (99.999 isn't 100)!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

thanks for agreeing with me (99.999 isn't 100)!

It's worse when managers that have no idea what they are talking about round it down to 99% in presentations.  If the people under them actually provided that, they would most likely all be fired in most cases :D

This is due to people abusing their permissions to certain places/filling the local drive. You should be saving everything to your network share instead.

Using wikipedia for a valid source.

You must be new here ;)

OT: Had a call this morning (help desk phone), and had someone saying "my laptop won't turn on what do i do?", so I guide them through the process of turning it on/recovering from hibernation. I then asked them "this might be a silly question, but could it be that the battery is flat?". They immediately hung up and then after about 5 minutes their machine appeared in DHCP...

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

Using wikipedia for a valid source.

You must be new here ;)

Yeah I know it's not the best but look anywhere else you want, this is a common term, and my point was that OK yes, expecting 100% uptime is unreasonable but that said, it should be damn close

Yeah I know it's not the best but look anywhere else you want, this is a common term, and my point was that OK yes, expecting 100% uptime is unreasonable but that said, it should be damn close

As an overall, I think 99% is still unreasonable.

If you are factoring authentication/security, network storage, external connectivity (i.e. internet), in-house applications, deployment of applications, etc. You really should be looking at approximately 90%, this is because of the downtime for hardware repairs, potential OS updates breaking things, and then you have to worry about the end users breaking things also.

Even people who have been in their position for years can break something just by doing something they do every day slightly different. i.e. Tina goes into the finance database everyday and updates any costs, she accidentally puts in an extra couple 0's, the data base might think it's reached its maximum size and take the SQL server out.

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350