Experiences with non-techies

As an overall, I think 99% is still unreasonable.

If you are factoring authentication/security, network storage, external connectivity (i.e. internet), in-house applications, deployment of applications, etc. You really should be looking at approximately 90%, this is because of the downtime for hardware repairs, potential OS updates breaking things, and then you have to worry about the end users breaking things also.

Even people who have been in their position for years can break something just by doing something they do every day slightly different. i.e. Tina goes into the finance database everyday and updates any costs, she accidentally puts in an extra couple 0's, the data base might think it's reached its maximum size and take the SQL server out.

No company could possibly survive like that; 2h 24m per day of downtime?

Everyone will have their own tolerances and requirements, but 99.999% uptime is not only achievable, but the standard where a system needs to have what's commonly referred to as "high availability".  This includes the database software, and any hardware, including computers and networking that it requires. Of course there will be failures, but that's what redundancy is for: making sure that little things here and there can fail without taking out the whole system.  No different than the idea of a RAID (not 0) setup

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

As an overall, I think 99% is still unreasonable.

If you are factoring authentication/security, network storage, external connectivity (i.e. internet), in-house applications, deployment of applications, etc. You really should be looking at approximately 90%, this is because of the downtime for hardware repairs, potential OS updates breaking things, and then you have to worry about the end users breaking things also.

Even people who have been in their position for years can break something just by doing something they do every day slightly different. i.e. Tina goes into the finance database everyday and updates any costs, she accidentally puts in an extra couple 0's, the data base might think it's reached its maximum size and take the SQL server out.

Everyone will have their own tolerances and requirements, but 99.999% uptime is not only achievable, but the standard where a system needs to have what's commonly referred to as "high availability".  This includes the database software, and any hardware, including computers and networking that it requires. Of course there will be failures, but that's what redundancy is for: making sure that little things here and there can fail without taking out the whole system.  No different than the idea of a RAID (not 0) setup

99% uptime is expected in most enterprise situations... (especially in telecommunications companies...)

When you factor in backing up to tapes, you are exporting terabytes worth of data that will clog your network and will down services.

it's not a factor of how much downtime you have, it's when the downtime is. At my company our downtime occurs of a night time, between 1am-3am, where all of our servers and SANs statewide get backed up to multiple locations (onto tapes managed by Commvault software).

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

When you factor in backing up to tapes, you are exporting terabytes worth of data that will clog your network and will down services.

it's not a factor of how much downtime you have, it's when the downtime is. At my company our downtime occurs of a night time, between 1am-3am, where all of our servers and SANs statewide get backed up to multiple locations (onto tapes managed by Commvault software).

and this is why you implement parallel systems...

At some companies the time is irrelevant because the systems have to run 24/7 (or as close to it as possible)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

At some companies the time is irrelevant because the systems have to run 24/7 (or as close to it as possible)

When suddenly the rescue crew and it's helicopter squadron arrive, wrap harnesses around the derailed train, and lift it safely back on tracks and it continues it's journey onwards! I just discovered I have admin privileges in cmd in my graphics design class... Trolling suggestions?

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

When suddenly the rescue crew and it's helicopter squadron arrive, wrap harnesses around the derailed train, and lift it safely back on tracks and it continues it's journey onwards! I just discovered I have admin privileges in cmd in my graphics design class... Trolling suggestions?

Not sure what you're getting at with that first part, but as for the rest, what OS are you on?  I miss XP... I used to change the start button to say stop and things like that... really threw people for a loop :)

Not sure what you're getting at with that first part, but as for the rest, what OS are you on?  I miss XP... I used to change the start button to say stop and things like that... really threw people for a loop :)

I heard "shutdown /i" is fun

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

I heard "shutdown /i" is fun

You could make a program and put it in the startup folder of "all users" or however that works that lays dormant until a certain time you set and then have it make a horrible sound.  No one will know, maybe even for days, and then all of a sudden all the computers go off and no one knows how to stop it :P

Not sure what you're getting at with that first part,

I rather thought he was alluding to a system (control and callout of emergency services) which runs 24/7 and no-one knew when it would be used .

@BOT Edward

There is something far wrong with your code if the Data base falls over just because it is full.  And tape backup should not close down your network (slow it down a tad yes but close it....).

I would expect five 9s availlability ,there will be the odd occasion where there are unforseen events(car crashes into street distribution box, fire breaks out at the "head end") but generally all the ISP equipment and coding should be fault tolerant.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

you guys can stop arguing about all that, just look at my reply again, I'm talking about "100% problem free" network, not "100% uptime"

those are 2 VERY diffent things!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

you guys can stop arguing about all that, just look at my reply again, I'm talking about "100% problem free" network, not "100% uptime"

those are 2 VERY diffent things!

Very true, for example, Time Warner gives me 99% uptime and 10% problem free internet.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

Very true, for example, Time Warner gives me 99% uptime and 10% problem free internet.

haha quote of the year!!! :D

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

First part: I was re-railing your derailed conversation. @nd part: Windows 7.

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

First part: I was re-railing your derailed conversation. @nd part: Windows 7.

oh lol good call :)

Well, I guess the start button is out then... well, I guess you could get rid of it - that always messes with people - but it's not as funny as making it say "stop" :D

" I can hack, I looked it up"

Also, I was looking up a song on YouTube to bug my friends, they tried to turn off my computer to stop me. Turned off my monitor. I kept typing, they started cracking up that I didn't notice. I hit enter and turned on the monitor, they died of shock when my search results were there.

Well, I guess the start button is out then... well, I guess you could get rid of it - that always messes with people - but it's not as funny as making it say "stop" :D

how?

sry u ned 2 has 1337 hax

0 d0n7 u 7ry 2 13376p34k m3 m9

how?

In XP you could literally just delete it out of Explorer.exe but I think there are actually UI customization tools out there to accomplish this for the purpose of locking people down (for example).  I assume they would need admin privileges to work, but hey, that's why we're talking right?  You've got that covered ;)

Mine's is a picture of sonic no start/stop or anything like that

start.jpg

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Mine's is a picture of sonic no start/stop or anything like that

start.jpg

you can clearly still see the orb underneath...

... And yet I'm here perfectly fine with my full linux install on a 4GB SD Card... No worries about Windows 10... Which I already have on my laptop with all updates disabled...

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

As a new forum member (well active member) and learning for an IT career I work with a lot of more elderly people and fix there computers as they not able to most of the time and that most computer shops cost way to much Its that I have to explain that when there computer has a virus and then have to explain that it doesn't mean instant death or that they have to throw there computer away.