Experiences with non-techies

ilFNzXJ.png

This was from an iPhone comparison video 

EDIT: read the last sentence.

This thread already had a huge debate over whether or not filling storage devices adds weight.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9DNjLk I like the night theme, it complements my dark basement. If you are reading this then you must also be a fan of the night theme.

01011011 01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01001000 01100101 01110010 01100101 01011101 

ilFNzXJ.png

This was from an iPhone comparison video 

EDIT: read the last sentence.

Because obviously flash storage takes up mass.

inb4 e=mc2 so obviously m=e/c2

NO! Stop it! I don't want to see pages of the exact same arguments all over again.

NO! Stop it! I don't want to see pages of the exact same arguments all over again.

Please! This argument has taken up dozens of pages before. Can we all just agree that regardless as to whether or not adding data to a device increases its mass, the amount that it may or may not add is negligible and impossible to measure by any consumer grade scales anyway?

Let's all agree that anyone who says that the storage medium will be NOTICEABLY heavier is stupid and/or ignorant and get on with our lives.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

The other day I was just Fixing some stuff and my mum looks at a 12v battery and she says "wow what a small engine " I facpalmed and was just like "are u fockin retarded mom?"

Also the other day I was talking to a guy who think he is a good a IT and Im just like "whats your rig"  he said he had sick computer and tells me "i have a sick imac"  Me "facpalm, kid do you know what a computer is ?"   kid "yes its a pc"  me "do you know what ram is"  kid" ye of course its a thing you download from ram.com"  at this point I facepalmed again, walked away and new this kid was retarded.

All the kids in my clas have macs and beats and say they are the "best". This generation is fucked up

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

1. my friend (Apple fanboy) used to belive that a MoBo comes along with a CPU.....

2. Same friend thought that a Computer Work's with 250 Volt out of the Wall and that the fat heatsinks on my Asus 660 ti are there to handle this power

Why did the console player cross the road?......To render the building on the other side.

The perfect system is one with no users.

classic white girl wakis into ss class with MacBook air 11" and beats logo sticker on back.

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

Having to help my mother use her iPhone and do very easy tasks... ITS AN iPhone! I know my mother is a bit old but it's kind of annoying because smart phones are pretty intuitive these days.

My Baby Girl ❤️CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X | Mobo: ASRock B450 Pro4 ATX | RAM: 2 x 8 GB DDR4 3200 MHz GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC | Case: Fractal Design Core 3500 | HDD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Adata SP900 512GB PSU: EVGA 650G 80+ Gold Full Modular | OS: Windows 10

My mom got an S6, and then ordered a case. She couldn't get the phone in the case, so she called Dad to get it in. He is cramming it in. and he hits buttons. HE PUTS IT IN FASTBOOT. THEN GOT IT INTO LINUX TERMINAL AND WHIPED IT. And that was an accident. I'm in my room, playing heavily modded Minecraft IN MY ROOM. I somehow get blamed for what he did. WTF

What...just what???? 

LfxfzVF.jpg

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.6 GHz

Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB @ 1903 MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X @ 1100 / 7030 MHz
Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D with the Ghetto LED 5000 lighting kit
Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Display: Dell P2415Q
Cooling: Corsair H100i
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB (Cherry MX Reds)
Mouse: Sharkk MMO Pro

Spoiler
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2PT
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2
G.Skill Value 8 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master N200
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Insignia 300W
Windows 7 Enterprise

Spoiler
Intel Core i3 3240
Asus P8Z77-V LX
4790K stock cooler with Cooler Master HTK-002 thermal paste
Corsair XMS3 4 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master HAF 912
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Thermaltake TR2 430W
Windows 10 Pro

This isn't really about a non techie persons ( kinda ) but my schools 65 year old IT guy was talking to teachers about a PC he was going build. The teacher just Kindda ignored him because he knew nothing about what he was talking about. I later asked the IT guy what was in the PC he was building, he says with a straight face " nothing to much" this dude has a i7-4790k, 980s in SLI, A triple monitor 4k setup all in a freakign custom loop... I about fainted seeing a 65year old man with an amazing setup. This dude is a legend to me and so, of my friends laugh at me because of it lol

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

This isn't really about a non techie persons ( kinda ) but my schools 65 year old IT guy was talking to teachers about a PC he was going build. The teacher just Kindda ignored him because he knew nothing about what he was talking about. I later asked the IT guy what was in the PC he was building, he says with a straight face " nothing to much" this dude has a i7-4790k, 980s in SLI, A triple monitor 4k setup all in a freakign custom loop... I about fainted seeing a 65year old man with an amazing setup. This dude is a legend to me and so, of my friends laugh at me because of it lol

How is he going to afford something that's going to be AT LEAST 2000 dollars on a school IT salary? Good god.

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

How is he going to afford something that's going to be AT LEAST 2000 dollars on a school IT salary? Good god.

I was to astonished to ask. The guys old probably won the lottery for all I know or since he is so old a will or two from deaths have come in?

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

A Russian man came into the store where I work and explained that he wanted a SATA data splitter cable because he didn't have enough SATA ports on his motherboard. When I informed him that no such cable exists and suggested he try an I/O card solution to add additional SATA ports to his system, he stormed away.

Another customer insisted that WiFi only works with Linux when using integrated motherboard solutions and that dedicated WiFi cards only work on Ubuntu, which he apparently believed is not a Linux distro. This same customer wanted to install an Intel Core i7-5820K on an ASRock H97M-ITX/ac until he learnt that the 5820K features Hyper-Threading Technology. He then told me that he doesn't want anything with Hyper-Threading because it'll cause his computer to overheat.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

Our IT-teacher isn't quite as cool as what your school has, but ours is in his 70s or 80s by now, should be retired already, and for such an old teacher he knows a lot about modern tech, whether it's computer related or not. He even coded our high school's website by hand (HTML, CSS and JavaScript. The website is a little plain and old-looking, but still...) and occasionally he takes a day off (which means no IT, chemistry, physics or brief math for that day. He teaches all of that) to go to expos and stuff. I admit that during his lectures it can get boring, and get far too off-topic from the thing he is supposed to teach us, but he is quite an awesome teacher. Just love to confuse every other student in class when he and I say something that has anything to do with modern tech.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

When my mum sees all of the computers I make, and points to one and says, "So is that the hard drive?"

OLD-SCHOOL - Intel Pentium 4 SL6WF with HYPERTHREADING! - ACER 651M03-6L Mobo - Saphire R9600 PRO 256mb AGP Card - 2gb DDR - 40gb IDE HDD - 430w PSU

Not really a non-thechie story, but I think this thread has just changed into a funny tech story one anyways...

So I was looking at MSI laptops with gtx 970m's, and I saw the storage thing on it, and something seemed a little fishy about their drive size.

post-123816-0-65309800-1431950124_thumb.

Definition of programmer: someone who can consume copious amounts of caffeine; and crap out a master piece through their fingers

Not really a non-thechie story, but I think this thread has just changed into a funny tech story one anyways...

So I was looking at MSI laptops with gtx 970m's, and I saw the storage thing on it, and something seemed a little fishy about their drive size.

25 inches? That's huge.

Pentium G3258, R9 280X, Corsair CS600M, Gigabyte GA-H81M-H, 2 Random monitors, a no-name keyboard, a cheap $15 Logitech mouse.

LG G3 Vigor

ac844c85159d10ec69154577468fe47cfedfc756

I was reading some yt comments on the new type c vid and it reminded me of something that a client said to me, possibly last week.

"I have this battery pack plugged into my laptop but it isn't working. Do I have to use the charging cable that came with it?"

This is approx what she said to me. I had no more clarification than that but I'm fairly certain she had plugged a battery pack for a phone or something into the usb port on her laptop in an attempt to charge her laptop.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

sry had to

its ok

Pentium G3258, R9 280X, Corsair CS600M, Gigabyte GA-H81M-H, 2 Random monitors, a no-name keyboard, a cheap $15 Logitech mouse.

LG G3 Vigor

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

sry had to

Do it properly. See below.

25 inches? That's huge.

That's what she said.

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Do it properly. See below.

That's what she said.

How do you? My lennys look like this: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)‎

LG G3 Vigor