Experiences with non-techies

I have no idea right now :mellow:

Basically ISO is light sensitivity, normally in bright sunlight iso100 is enough, if it higher than that the picture will be completely white, so using ISO 3200 in sunlight is like input 32volt in 2 ghz cpu.     

one of my friends has his "gaming rig" inside a desk with NO ventilation at all. He was hitting 65-70c at idle. I was at least able to convince him to move it on top of his desk. Opening the door to get to the computer felt like opening up a hot oven.

I've seen desks like that- they have a cabinet to put your pc in.

WTF? DO THEY NOT UNDERSTAND WHY PCS HAVE FANS? AIRFLOW!

one of my friends has his "gaming rig" inside a desk with NO ventilation at all. He was hitting 65-70c at idle. I was at least able to convince him to move it on top of his desk. Opening the door to get to the computer felt like opening up a hot oven.

I wonder what his load temps were lol, especially if he had a hot card like GTX 480. Hot damn.

Main RigCPU: AMD Ryzen 5900x @ 4.7 Ghz w/ Corsair H115i Elite Capellix | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 Ti XC3 | MOBO: Asus ROG Strix X570-E | RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600 mhz | Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W | Mouse: Glorious Model O (Matte Black) | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance RGB K95 | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2 + Samsung 870 QVO 1 TB + Toshiba X300 4 TB

LAN Rig: CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4 Ghz w/ Antec Kuhler H2O 920 | GPU: EVGA GTX 760 | MOBO: MSI Z87I Mini-ITX | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB 2133mhz | Case: Bitfenix Prodigy Mini-ITX | PSU: Corsair CX550 550W | Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

My little brother used to think that the more data you store on an HDD, the heavier the component gets. He also thought that if you pivot the monitor clockwise during a transfer of files or an installation, it would go faster because the gravity would help the loading bar fill faster...^^

It does get heavier! storing new data involves holding electrons in a fixed place in the device's memory. Although the electrons were already present, keeping them still rather than allowing them to float around takes up extra energy – about a billionth of a microjoule per bit of data and since energy and mass are directly related... 

It does get heavier! storing new data involves holding electrons in a fixed place in the device's memory. Although the electrons were already present, keeping them still rather than allowing them to float around takes up extra energy – about a billionth of a microjoule per bit of data and since energy and mass are directly related... 

He is talking real world world problems. eg empty 1tb hdd: 10kg, full 1tb hdd: 15kg. Those measurements arent accurate but hopefully you understand what im getting at.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

He is talking real world world problems. eg empty 1tb hdd: 10kg, full 1tb hdd: 15kg. Those measurements arent accurate but hopefully you understand what im getting at.

I always carefully consider what I download, a billionth of a billionth of a gram is a lot to some people. :)

I always carefully consider what I download, a billionth of a billionth of a gram is a lot to some people. :)

I dont i have at least 20kg of shit on top of my case.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

My dad only uses his laptop for YouTube, and because the internet goes out on his computer, he thinks it's because he says declines the Windows Updates that come up, and because of that, they are punishing him for it. I have to explain everytime that sometimes the internet in our house goes out.

...I feel bad for posting this :P

My PC (codenamed Genesis) - Corsair Air 540, i5 4690k, ASUS ROG Maximus VII Ranger, EVGA Geforce GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0, 8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM @ 1600MHz, 240GB Samsung 840 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler (not in case), EVGA SuperNova G2 750W PSU, Asus ROG Swift PG2789Q monitor, Logitech G502 mouse, and Corsair Vengeance K70 keyboard (brown switches)

I just heard some little kids talking about next gen consoles and that the xbox one is better because it can play 360 games.

Will be funny when they try old games on a x86 platform and they don't work

144Hz goodness

I just heard some little kids talking about next gen consoles and that the xbox one is better because it can play 360 games.

Will be funny when they try old games on a x86 platform and they don't work

It will give out some nice youtube videos. Ill troll some kids, be like its broken, you can only play with the wii now.

Listen if you care.

Oh boy asking a geek squad what is the differences between SSD and HDD and the differences between the speed of a HDD...the end result he said "its all the same..you use it to store stuff..."

CPU: Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 760 FTW 4GB | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2x4GB) RED | SSD: Corsair Force Series 240 GB SATA 3 | PSU: Corsair AX 760 Watt Fully Modular | OS:  Windows 8

oh god we better not start this argument up again

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

So my mate Franco is like "Oh I'm thinking of getting a new phone because my iPhone 3G is getting a bit slow. So right now I'm thinking good good. Then he turns to me and says "So iPhone 5 is the best performance wise right?" Not even kidding my mate Dan who is a hardcore Android Fan-boy, SPRINTS towards us and says... "What on earth did you just say?" I laugh a bit because I know what's coming and Dan just unleashes a whole ton of hate about how consumers assume that an Apple product must be the best and then shows him on his Samsung Galaxy 2 the "3 best phone out on the market" the HTC one, the Sony Xperia Z and the Samsung Galaxy S4. Franco is dazed and confused and just accepts all the stuff Dan has shouted at him. xD

Was truly hilarious.

In case you're wondering Franco now has an HTC One :)

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

oh god we better not start this argument up again

I remember last time. That was hell.

Listen if you care.

My aunt who bashed her laptop closed and then wondered why the hard drive was dead. Needless to say I was the one to replace it. 8 hours of Windows installs and driver hunting. Pisses off even the most patient of people. Also, my grandmother uses a voice chat software called PalTalk on her computer, and she always gets viruses from it. I hope one day that she gives me that computer and buys a new one, because it's a SFF AM3 socket computer. My, what an FX 6-core and a 7750 half height would do for it.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I was recording a thunderstorm with my phone, because I wanted to get a pic of a lightning (I did :P) and my mom walked in and asked me why I was doing that, I told her that I wanted to take a photo of a lightning and then she said: "but wouldn't that burn your phone?"

MSI Z87-GD65 - GTX 760 DirectCU II - i5 4670k @4.0GHz - 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866 MHz

few years ago i had to call up my ISP to transfer an old Docsis 2.0 modem to a 3.0 modem and the IT person there kept trying to get me to "go onto the internet and connect to a webpage to fill in the information" when i had no WAN ip available to me at all.. the IT guy told me it was a bad modem.. so i told  him id just use the old one cause i didnt have time.. reconnected my old modem and waited 2-3 days till i had some free time

after a few days, i went back to the 3.0 modem.. and this time i acted oblivious to anything IT related.. let him go through his flowchart which he did last time.. and surprise surprise it still didnt work.. so i rattled off why it wasnt working.. nothing serious, just basic networking stuff (no ip,no subnet, no gateway was being provided by their DHCP server) .. he went "ummmm, i think im going to refer you to our higher level of IT support" cause he didnt know what i just told him.. within 5 mins of working with the higher tech level, i had given them my new mac addresses for the modem and was told to wait 10 mins then reset my modem.. so after spending an hour waiting for the first tech guy to "diagnose" the problems.. then 10 mins with the second IT department.. all was good...

i hate indian call centers... -.-

Lol, I laughed pretty bad at this. I'm from India and trust me, we don't like our own Tech Support call centers. It's not that people here are idiots it's just that call centers hire such people to work long hours to get less pay for which they are satisfied with.... Not all of them are bad though, some of the tech support people are quite skilled but they are a small margin of the overall no. of people. 

Here in the UK there is a Chain Store called PC world, not sure if its international but anyway, my friend went up there to get a network card, just a USB one not a PCI card. Upon asking the woman who worked there if they had any she replied "what are they?" and insisted that they didn't stock them, so the next day I went up with him as I know that they stock them. So we bought the Card and guess who was at the till, the same woman as before. Never seen her in the shop again can only assume they found someone with a braincell or two to replace her. Is it just me that thinks they should atleast hae some sort of a standard for knowledge on computers that there employees must have seeing as it is a computer shop?

Case: Corsair 460X RGB bby, CPU: I5 8600K, Motherboard: MSI B360M PRO-VDH, RAM: 8GB Hyper X 2400MHz , Graphics Card: GTX1060 6GB, PSU: Corsair RM750x,

Cooler: BEQuiet!  Pure Rock Slim SSD: Kingston 240GB, HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda

I think linus will have to make a video for the non-techies about "how to plug the thing into the thing" and then a video showing "how to tie there shoes".

Sony Vaio Pro 13 CPU:Haswell Core i5 4200U RAM: 4 GB GPU: HD4400 Storage: SSD Pci-e 128GB (Its really fast), External 1TB Seagate Expansion Drive Weight: 1.06kg (made of carbon fiber) 

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (4.4.2 Omnirom) 

Here in the UK there is a Chain Store called PC world, not sure if its international but anyway, my friend went up there to get a network card, just a USB one not a PCI card. Upon asking the woman who worked there if they had any she replied "what are they?" and insisted that they didn't stock them, so the next day I went up with him as I know that they stock them. So we bought the Card and guess who was at the till, the same woman as before. Never seen her in the shop again can only assume they found someone with a braincell or two to replace her. Is it just me that thinks they should atleast hae some sort of a standard for knowledge on computers that there employees must have seeing as it is a computer shop?

Some woman did that to me as well. Might of been the same one. My pc world is on some road where ironically currys is next to then toys r us which even an adult wants to go in but once you do get in you wonder why you were so excited.

Listen if you care.

I think linus will have to make a video for the non-techies about "how to plug the thing into the thing" and then a video showing "how to tie there shoes".

Most of my family(indians) wear shoes without laces. I now know why.

Listen if you care.

I was at best buy the other day and I saw an agent trying to help a customer.  The guy acted like he knew everything about PC's because he took apart a case fan.  The kid was struggling so I stepped in.  The guy was getting annoyed because he thought his power supply went bad because the fan stopped working.  I explained his PC would not function if the PSU couldn't power a power supply (assuming he tried all the molex and 3 pins like he said).  He was asking well which fan I should buy.  One was a cheap dynex the other was a cheap LED.  I said it really doesn't matter it's a fan (think to myself they both equally suck).  So he grabbed the cheaper fan and left.

Then another set of customers he was helping walked over asking about power supplies.  There were 3, 2 dynex (400 and 520) and a hermaltake 430.  I looked at the 400W Dynex PSU and it said 12V1 8A, I told them I wouldn't use that to power a cell phone.  The 520W Dynex was 18A and the Thermal take was 22A and I recommended the Thermaltake being 80+ Certified and being cheaper than the Dynex (upsold FTW).  Then the Best Buy agent helped me find the printer and ink I wanted.

My PC: CPU: I7-2600K CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Evo, Mother Board: MSI Z77 Mpower, Ram: 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Corsair Vengeance (Black), Case: HAF 932, PSU: CM GX 650 (Upgrading to RM750 soon), SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD, HD:  750GB Seagate 7200 RPM, Optical: Samsung Blu-ray burner, GPU: MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr (Upgrading to an HD R9-290X on launch)

"Yeah this game runs great, I'm getting like 0 frames per second on the menu"

or

"See if I reboot my computer will it wipe my hard drive?"

Case: Corsair 460X RGB bby, CPU: I5 8600K, Motherboard: MSI B360M PRO-VDH, RAM: 8GB Hyper X 2400MHz , Graphics Card: GTX1060 6GB, PSU: Corsair RM750x,

Cooler: BEQuiet!  Pure Rock Slim SSD: Kingston 240GB, HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda

My mate said he built his own computer and made his own motherboard... He then changed the CPU he was using to an i7 from an 'AMD FX' #lol. He for some reason can't put this lie to bed :P

Then he claimed that his Mac Pro has an i7 chip in it, yet another #lol and then he was going on about the way that I only need a basic video card for games, he doesn't know about antialiasing etc and claims to be a PC gamer... hmmmmm...

But with complete non-techies, I have had many experiences. My nan for example had a Windows 2000 IBM thinkpad from before the world began. She threw it into the fire saying "Get it off me, it's going to explode" when it made the dial-up connection noise. Oh, nan.

Also, my mum works as a clinical negligence medical records analyst and she works from home using Citrix remote login. She was just working the other day when the keys on her laptop stopped working. She thought that it had been infested with an evil spirit because she had had a bad dream the night before. All it needed was a reboot.

As for my sister, she just doesn't know how to treat cables. My dad got her an iPod in March 2012. The iPod itself is fine... As for the cables however, we have spent more on Apple replacement chargers than we did initially on the iPod itself.

Some others like my mate who thought it would fix his computer by putting a password on the BIOS. He came round to mine so I could fix it and he had forgotten the password. How stupid of him.

My Granddad found my brother's Nexus 7 lying on the floor and thought he'd have a go. He was fascinated by the Android pattern unlock lock screen, but didn't realise that his multiple attempts had wiped the device lol.

Compatible with Windows 95

I had a similar experience in Maplin the other month, only, it wasn't me, it was another bloke. The shop assistant was trying to sell the guy a 650 Ti for £250 and a case for £120, a basic motherboard for £150 and an i5 for £300. I went over to him and asked why the prices were so high (mentioning the prices were cheaper elsewhere in-front of this customer) He then asked me to leave the store.

I am now banned from Maplin, Cheshire Oaks for a few years. Although it won't matter so much as the prices are extortionate and I think they'll go out of business soon. Happy days.

Compatible with Windows 95