Experiences with non-techies

HAHAHAHA :lol:  many hilarious stories!!! yea, i've got a really non-techie mom too, and i also often have to learn her some very basic things. oh and grandpa aswell. one time he had managed to change his backround picture on his computer to a half naked pole dancer.... and im still wondering how he got that picture....

Sometimes it is better to just not ask.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Why doesn't he just make a damn shortcut lol?

I tell him to, but again, "too lazy" :P

I tell him to, but again, "too lazy" :P

Sometimes, I wonder if such people are braindead or are their brains rotting from inside out because making a shortcut takes about half a second. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

This may be not very nice but, my friend games on PC, I don't know the specs of his Machine but I'm sure it's a FX4130 with 4GB of RAM, the rest is a mystery because he has no idea how to find out the specs. So anyway, he bought this PC (From one of those places that prebuilds them on like eBay or Amazon) and, I know it comes with some crappy generic PSU and a case with awful ventilation. I don't know where to begin if I'm honest, well the first problem arose because to turn the PC off he kept just flipping the switch on the back of the PSU, needless to say it died a week later and took the ENTIRE Computer with it. Luckily it was still under warranty so he sent it back and got a new Machine, the next issue is I have to explain to him everyday that without modding he cannot put another fan in his case, because it has space for 4 and all the spaces are filled, like I literally have to explain everything. Oh and the last thing is, he thinks if he installs BF3 on it, it'll slow the Computer down to the point where it's not even usable anymore. No matter how much I try and explain the game does not really affect day to day operation.

Back hand him it solves everything. Period.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

The other day, one of my bosses decided to lecture me as to why expensive HDMI cables are better than inexpensive ones. I just smiled and nodded, because trying to tackle the amount of BS was just too daunting for me :P

My friend said his xbox 360 have better graphic than pc

Best solution is to fix that way of thinking is to place an Xbox and a PC side by side and have 2 screens (same res and size) that will be running the same game and do a blind test asking the noob which one is better. Unless he purposely choses the lesser version it should work...

Best solution is to fix that way of thinking is to place an Xbox and a PC side by side and have 2 screens (same res and size) that will be running the same game and do a blind test asking the noob which one is better. Unless he purposely choses the lesser version it should work...

do minecraft and throw in a 512x512 texture pack. 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

He'll just say its a different game

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

He'll just say its a different game

Tell him to choose one anyway, then go the the main menu. You can't say they're differnt games when the main menus have the same game name.

But then again, the ignorant always come up with ways to keep believing the wrong information. Thus the ignorant will always be that.

Forget texture packs.... Shaders :D

That's a real benchmark.

Forget texture packs.... Shaders :D

That's a real benchmark.

Hack Crysis to make the title screen look like minecraft

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

Shaders + 512x512 TP + 2560x1440. That's a real benchmark.

I find that even a 512x512 TP Doesn't affect my fps too much, even on a GTX 650. Does look quite stunning though.

Once you add Extra resolutions with better Textures with shaders' amazingness... It's not even minecraft anymore :P

EDIT: 1440p or 3 monitors, whatever floats yer boat.

Post from wow forums, a guy is building a very high end rig, looking to spend less than 3 grand (I7-4770K 2 GTX 780's).

Poster 1 (in response to the OP asking about after market cooling for a K series CPU with an Asus board ): The fan comes with your CPU will be more than fine, other than that just buy a cheap fan for your case which you seem to have, just lose the $80 CPU fan and arctic silver 5 as it does nothing for you

Poster 2: Are you seriously advocating the stock thermal paste and stock cooler are as good as aftermarket air cooling? Because if you are i'm just speechless at the sheer ignorance

Poster 3: He's buying a board built for overclocking, an I7-4770K and you want him to use the stock cooler?! That's terrible advice

Me: ^^^ This

Poster 1: This is an argument that is even more nerdy than arguing over monster cable.  If you care about a few more FPS on a benchmark and an unstable sysstem, overclock and water cool all you want.

Poster 3:  Properly overclocked systems are not unstable at all.  The OP is buying a high end system with a top tier board and an unlocked CPU and an aftermarket cooler.  Of course he will overclocking, everyone who builds a high end PC should be in the order to get the most out of your system.  Call it nerdy but really you don't know what you're talking about.

Me: I've been running overclocked by 30% for 2 years now.  It gives me a solid 20-30% FPS increase in games like crysis 3 and BF3 multiplayer.

Me:To quote Linus Sebastian, "If you're building your own PC and you're not overclocking, you're not doing it right."

Pro tip OP, Intel offers for 30 dollars a 3 year warranty added to the current warranty that gives you a free chip NO QUESTIONS ASKED if you fry it from overclocking.

So basically what this means is, you have to try pretty hard to mess it up and since Intel BACKS it clearly it cannot be that dangerous.

Poster 1: Compares adding a sound system to a car thinking it makes it faster.  He also goes on to say it adds no performance and that overclocking requires liquid nitrogen.

Poster 2: Continues to tell him it's a free 15-25% performance gain and that good thermal paste is worth 5-10 bucks.  Mentions poster 1 doesn't have a clue

Poster 1: "Enjoy rebuilding your system every year or so and enjoy your ignorance :) if companies like intel or nvidia could reliably sell parts at those speeds they would be,

Please let me know when you haven't had any crashes replaced any hardware or what not

Poster 2: They should have a pic of you in the dictionary under both clueless and ignorant.  Go troll somewhere else

Me: Sigh...

....SIGH...

My PC: CPU: I7-2600K CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Evo, Mother Board: MSI Z77 Mpower, Ram: 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Corsair Vengeance (Black), Case: HAF 932, PSU: CM GX 650 (Upgrading to RM750 soon), SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD, HD:  750GB Seagate 7200 RPM, Optical: Samsung Blu-ray burner, GPU: MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr (Upgrading to an HD R9-290X on launch)

Post from wow forums, a guy is building a very high end rig, looking to spend less than 3 grand (I7-4770K 2 GTX 780's).

Poster 1 (in response to the OP asking about after market cooling for a K series CPU with an Asus board ): The fan comes with your CPU will be more than fine, other than that just buy a cheap fan for your case which you seem to have, just lose the $80 CPU fan and arctic silver 5 as it does nothing for you

Poster 2: Are you seriously advocating the stock thermal paste and stock cooler are as good as aftermarket air cooling? Because if you are i'm just speechless at the sheer ignorance

Poster 3: He's buying a board built for overclocking, an I7-4770K and you want him to use the stock cooler?! That's terrible advice

Poster 1: This is an argument that is even more nerdy than arguing over monster cable.  If you care about a few more FPS on a benchmark and an unstable sysstem, overclock and water cool all you want.

Poster 3:  Properly overclocked systems are not unstable at all.  The OP is buying a high end system with a top tier board and an unlocked CPU and an aftermarket cooler.  Of course he will overclocking, everyone who builds a high end PC should be in the order to get the most out of your system.  Call it nerdy but really you don't know what you're talking about.

Me: I've been running overclocked by 30% for 2 years now.  It gives me a solid 20-30% FPS increase in games like crysis 3 and BF3 multiplayer.

Me:To quote Linus Sebastian, "If you're building your own PC and you're not overclocking, you're not doing it right."

Pro tip OP, Intel offers for 30 dollars a 3 year warranty added to the current warranty that gives you a free chip NO QUESTIONS ASKED if you fry it from overclocking.

So basically what this means is, you have to try pretty hard to mess it up and since Intel BACKS it clearly it cannot be that dangerous.

Poster 1: Compares adding a sound system to a car thinking it makes it faster.  He also goes on to say it adds no performance and that overclocking requires liquid nitrogen.

Poster 2: Continues to tell him it's a free 15-25% performance gain and that good thermal paste is worth 5-10 bucks.  Mentions poster 1 doesn't have a clue

Poster 1: "Enjoy rebuilding your system every year or so and enjoy your ignorance :) if companies like intel or nvidia could reliably sell parts at those speeds they would be,

Please let me know when you haven't had any crashes replaced any hardware or what not

Poster 2: They should have a pic of you in the dictionary under both clueless and ignorant.  Go troll somewhere else

....SIGH...

Kill it before it multiplies.

Listen if you care.

Just showed him this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocVyrtcTpHw

Just showed him this video

So what bullshit reason did he come up with to try and save face.

Listen if you care.

....SIGH...

Yeah, the official WoW forums are pretty bad.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Yeah, the official WoW forums are pretty bad.

Its just one person. There are people that have not been informed well and they keep the information they have been told. I have of mis-interpreted information most likely somewhere and i might of told that to someone. 

Listen if you care.

Its just one person. There are people that have not been informed well and they keep the information they have been told. I have of mis-interpreted information most likely somewhere and i might of told that to someone. 

Meh, trolls run rampant on those forums, have you seen the general discussion and class discussion forums?