Experiences with non-techies

I think we can all agree that the school system is garbage right now. Instead of giving a pc that you could do anything you want with they lock it down and use punishment to keep kids from finding exploits.

Yeah seriously there's very little useful things that you learn in school, all the important things are learned in college

MSI Z87-GD65 - GTX 760 DirectCU II - i5 4670k @4.0GHz - 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866 MHz

The American Education System, great isn't it?

Yep I haven't learned anything since... ummmmm I'm actually not sure

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

I learned more from the internet than I ever learned from school. At least I get to learn a bit in AP courses:D

Did the Internet give you employment? High school didn't for me. University did.

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

I'm currently studying I.T at university, and one of the students in my class tried telling me that a HD 5450 is the same as a HD 7850. He tried to explain that the 7850 just had a different cover on it but they performed the same. -_-

I still wonder what he is doing studying I.T, Then again he's still playing LoL on an old Pentium 4 machine.

Someone needs to graduate at the bottom of the class. Happens everywhere xD

"What's so special about linux?"

Well linux is quite a waste of time for 95% of the worlds population.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

"of course you can plug a hard drive into the graphics card, thats how you save games onto your ram, the cpu just warms it all up."

The fack?

AMD FX 8350, ASUS GTX 770 DirectCUII, ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0, CORSAIR TX 750, CORSAIR VEANGENCE BLACK 8GB'S 1600Mhz, Hyper 212 evo, Aerocool Strike-X GT, Crucial M4 128GB SSD, Seagate Baracuda 2TB, Asus CrapReader 

This is a reflection back in my old tech days...

I used to think a higher ping was better <_<

I used to think the less FPS the better, so I remember my GT 220 beating a GTX 295

AMD FX 8350, ASUS GTX 770 DirectCUII, ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0, CORSAIR TX 750, CORSAIR VEANGENCE BLACK 8GB'S 1600Mhz, Hyper 212 evo, Aerocool Strike-X GT, Crucial M4 128GB SSD, Seagate Baracuda 2TB, Asus CrapReader 

That's what they taught me! I was such a clueless kid up until 10

Yeah I cant even remember what they taught me... probably because it was such bullshit.

After using a keyboard shortcut I always get "HOW DID YOU DO THAT?!"

Thank god I grew up with a programmer for a father. I always hear stories from my friends where they get blamed for slowing down the computer with their games when it's really the malware infestation due to people clicking every ad they see.

Just learned that the PS4 and the Xbox One will be brutal gaming machines that will outperform almost any PC

Greetings from the Netherlands!

Asus Sabertooth Z77 - Intel Core i7 3770K - Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 MHz 8 GB

After using a keyboard shortcut I always get "HOW DID YOU DO THAT?!"

Thank god I grew up with a programmer for a father. I always hear stories from my friends where they get blamed for slowing down the computer with their games when it's really the malware infestation due to people clicking every ad they see.

When I installed firefox 3 on the family computer a few years ago, my dad uninstalled it because he thought it was a virus. So than I was stuck with IE 7, -_-

Remove the desktop shortcut and "manually" start it from the start menu (no shortcut there either), unless he decides to check the programs installed.

Someone who thinks firefox is a virus will have difficulty getting off the desktop let alone seeing the programs that are installed :P

| 3570k @ 4.4.ghz | Hyper 212 evo | 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte Z77X UD3H | Corsair CX750M | Corsair 300R | OCZ 240GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | Asus DCUII 7950 @1150mhz core 1600mhz mem

| BenQ XL2411T | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G700 | steelseries Qck+ | Fiio E10 | Zalman clip on mic | HD 598 | ATH-M50 |

When I was younger I would always get blamed when something went wrong with the computer, saying my games broke it. I'm pretty sure If a game is being released to thousands of people, it will be stable and not cause the BSOD for no reason.

God, I would get blamed the same thing. Now i am the only "IT-Guru" in our family and my sister calls me about 2 or 3 times a week to fix her computer.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

My friend asked me a while ago to help him pick out a computer for gaming. I asked him if he had considered building a computer and he said no because he wanted to have tech support he could call if the computer was having problems. I looked around for a while and found that the best solution would be to go onto cyber power pc due to a sale they were having at the time and then he told me he had bought an all in one touch screen computer. I asked him why and he said "It's ok I bought the gaming edition." (Which has a GT 610)

When I installed firefox 3 on the family computer a few years ago, my dad uninstalled it because he thought it was a virus. So than I was stuck with IE 7, -_-

Remove the desktop shortcut and "manually" start it from the start menu (no shortcut there either), unless he decides to check the programs installed.

I would recommed making Firefox look like IE. It's not that difficult to change the icon and rename a file although they would likely figure out it isn't IE once they opened it so maybe windows explorer, powershell, unnamed shortcut? I don't know...

He original poster said that his dad removed firefox, so I don't know..

keep in mind this was in like 2007

Well the generation thats like 5-10 yrs old right now cant because all they know how to use are tablets and smartphones. My neice went to play with my phone and she knew everything about it... what icon to press to get more games, ect.

She was taught in school that a monitor is the computer and that the actual case is the "CPU"

I don't know about you but the education system is messed up in that respect as in the UK all you need is a general teaching qualification to be able to teach anything, therefore you get a lot of cases of teachers teaching misinformation. 

When you someone expects you to know to fix all technology quickly without having even touched it before.

oh thats a great one!

Dad: show me how to send this contact to someone on my new blackberry

Me: let me see your phone

Dad: no, I just want you to tell me how to do it.

Me: I have no experience with it. If you want me to tell you how to do it i need to figure out how to do it first. now let me see you phone.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

I lived with 3 girls at University, none of which knew anything about computers (all arts degrees).

One day, one of them asks me to help her send a fax. I tell her step-by-step, letting her actually do it so she'll know next time and not have to ask me again.

So she puts the thing she wants to send (I think it was a copy of her birth certificate) into the fax machine and (eventually) gets it sent. On my way out she stops me, telling me it hasn't worked. I ask why she thinks that, just in case I've faffed it up, to which she says "It's still here", holding her paper aloft...I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Intel 3770K @ 4.4GHz (Summer) - 4.6GHz (Winter) / Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe / EVGA GTX 680 /w Arctic Twin Turbo II / 16GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1866MHz / Samsung 840 Pro 128GB (Steam) / OCZ Vertex 4 128GB (Boot/Office/Steam) / Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2 (RAID 1, Storage) / Asus Xonar D2X / OCZ 1250W ZX / H80i /w 2 x Gentle Typhoons / Cooler Master HAF X /w Pioneer Blu Ray, Aerocool V12XT, 4 x Cooler Master MegaFlows (Red) / Logitech Z906, G930, G19 & G700

WTF is 5D!!

like 3d only more d'er

Think like this. If an image on a piece of paper is 2d and our world is 3d, then 5d would have 2 more dimensions.

2d = width x length

3d = width x length x height

5d = width x length x height x another dimension x another dimension

System Specs - CPU: i7 4770K - RAM: 8GB(2x4GB) Vengeance Pro - Motherboard: Maximus VI Gene - Case: Modded PowerMac G5 - CPU Cooler: H100i - PSU: AX860i - SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB and Kingston V300 120GB - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - Graphics Card: 2x GTX 780 - Case Fans: SP120s and Spectre 140s - Headphones: HD700, Alpha Dog, SE215

Sony A7R w/ Zeiss 55mm F1.8

WTF is 5D!!

like 3d only more d'er

Think like this. If an image on a piece of paper is 2d and our world is 3d, then 5d would have 2 more dimensions.

2d = width x length

3d = width x length x height

5d = width x length x height x another dimension x another dimension

System Specs - CPU: i7 4770K - RAM: 8GB(2x4GB) Vengeance Pro - Motherboard: Maximus VI Gene - Case: Modded PowerMac G5 - CPU Cooler: H100i - PSU: AX860i - SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB and Kingston V300 120GB - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - Graphics Card: 2x GTX 780 - Case Fans: SP120s and Spectre 140s - Headphones: HD700, Alpha Dog, SE215

Sony A7R w/ Zeiss 55mm F1.8