Experiences with non-techies

The classic mom asking the "how to download more ram" question, then having to explain why that doesn't make any sense. 

-------------------------------

-Chris

people asking me how to set up an email account. keep in mind they already were at the signup page, so how they couldn't figure it out from there, i just don't know :P

Comments from Howtobasic's "How to Build a Computer" video

51484252ec.png

0ccc6255c3.png

a070961bcc.png

d1985b6296.png

Meanwhile, if you ACTUALLY WATCH the video (which I don't advise on doing), you can see a LGA775 (or older) motherboard and a 8800 GTS. The motherboard probably didn't even have a CPU in it, just the cooler on top of the socket

All of these parts could have been broken and been worth nothing and/or found in a junkyard.

Sorry 'bout that. i don't know much, just what my school taught me.

I didn't realise either until a (usenet) newsgroup told me,  soc.culture.scottish

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Yeah that works too. Welcome to Conversing with an English English Language student (that looks dumb; substitute British for English) at late'oclock his time xD

Wait, aren't you in Scotland or did I imagine that??

I am yes. Technically I am not in Scotland, but the Scottish Isles but I am going home today. 4 hour boat ride. Yaaay

I am yes. Technically I am not in Scotland, but the Scottish Isles but I am going home today. 4 hour boat ride. Yaaay

Sounds a pretty cool place :) what's broadband speeds like round there? I'm in a smallish village inside the main town boundary (and 10 Mins from town centre) but it's terrible

Sounds a pretty cool place :) what's broadband speeds like round there? I'm in a smallish village inside the main town boundary (and 10 Mins from town centre) but it's terrible

we have Adsl broadband at home (oban) that is almost as fast as my uncle's fibre optic because no one around where we live uses much internet and we live near the exchange and we get it for like £15 a month (are you jealous yet). The internet at the holiday house is slow though but we are on coll (the island) so what do you expect.

we have Adsl broadband at home (oban) that is almost as fast as my uncle's fibre optic because no one around where we live uses much internet and we live near the exchange and we get it for like £15 a month (are you jealous yet). The internet at the holiday house is slow though but we are on coll (the island) so what do you expect.

So jelly! :o I'm practically in the town and the amount of old people in the village means there's barely any usage other than me, but it's still sub 1-meg :( Fibre is coming though (cabinet already in main road, waiting for activation).

I got fibre, the company advertises 100 Mb/s but by running speedtest.net with a server in the same city, I only got 13 Mb/s down and 17Mb/s up.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

"Friend" with iphone asks me for phone charger.

Me: "i only have micro usb for my S4"

He: "oh, that's ok" *takes the thing and ramms it in his lightning port*

Me: "ehrm, that won't work..."

He: "how would you know?"

Me: "..." *in thoughts: ok, go on. Some more force will probably do the trick.*

This guy is the new definition of dumb.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

I got fibre, the company advertises 100 Mb/s but by running speedtest.net with a server in the same city, I only got 13 Mb/s down and 17Mb/s up.

Don't complain D:

3547210176.png

i7 8086k @ 5.3Ghz / 32GB DDR4 Trident Z RGB @ 3733Mhz / Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps / PG348Q

In my experience, the current Australian government (non-techies) does not understand the internet or telecommunications. Quite frustrating.

In my experience, the current Australian government (non-techies) does not understand the internet or telecommunications. Quite frustrating.

Really? How stupid are they?

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

In my experience, the current [insert country's name] government (non-techies) does not understand the internet or telecommunications. Quite frustrating.

I feel your woes...

*puts on tinfoil hat*

I think that the Philippines is one of the testing grounds for telcos on implementing their anti-competitive practices... 1GB daily cap on an "unlimited" promo? BULLSHIT.

5GB monthly on a 5Mbps "Unlimited" plan? BULLSHIT. Everyone on Wi-max boxes with >150ms ping? BULLSHIT. 1 device per internet subscription? BULLSHIT. Everyone offering the same old plan on the same price point with the same unreliability? BULLSHIT.

*takes off tinfoil hat*

I'm just lucky that my family got to keep the copper connections and not have to put-up with the congestion on the Wi-max network...

Hell, I know more about how their network than the "tech support" they offer.... I once asked if there is a problem with the network since I can't communicate with an overseas server... I knew that the server is intact and operational since I was chatting with one of the administrators... I called them up, and upon the mention of the words "I think there's a problem with your routing since I can't reach a server and I am in communications with the administrator (of said server)," they fucking hung up on me TWICE. Knowing that I can't bypass this, I connected to the server via VPN and guess what? IT FUCKING WORKED.

Don't complain D:

3547210176.png

Ok, you win (the worst internet award). The worst thing is that my download is more-or-less twice yours, yet it's only a 0.4meg difference. That's how sad it is with low numbers. Even a 2meg connection would more-than half my download times for steam :(

OK, wow, I'm 37% faster today :o

3665637990.png

Ok, you win (the worst internet award). The worst thing is that my download is more-or-less twice yours, yet it's only a 0.4meg difference. That's how sad it is with low numbers. Even a 2meg connection would more-than half my download times for steam :(

OK, wow, I'm 37% faster today :o

3665637990.png

Nope. Suckish internet.

3662838656.png

My ping is 3 times higher.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

So jelly! :o I'm practically in the town and the amount of old people in the village means there's barely any usage other than me, but it's still sub 1-meg :( Fibre is coming though (cabinet already in main road, waiting for activation).

I get about 2 MBs downloading games if my bro is not using the internet. 2MBs is 16Mbs. I forgot to mention that my uncle lives in a city so his internet is naturally slower.

Nope. Suckish internet.

3662838656.png

My ping is 3 times higher.

man i feel sorry for you guys

3665755481.png

man i feel sorry for you guys

Posted Image

I'm meant to get an uplift of 36.25 (so multiply that by 1meg and we have 36.25meg) when fibre comes so it's not too bad. The cabinet 200m down the road from my cab gets a 49 uplift. Weird.

@terrytek I feel sorry for ya man! At least I can claim average ping (at least in the UK. Overseas puts it up 100-300ms).

I'm meant to get an uplift of 36.25 (so multiply that by 1meg and we have 36.25meg) when fibre comes so it's not too bad. The cabinet 200m down the road from my cab gets a 49 uplift. Weird.

@terrytek I feel sorry for ya man! At least I can claim average ping (at least in the UK. Overseas puts it up 100-300ms).

Netzero sucks. The ISP host is more like 80 miles away. And you didn't tag me right.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Can we stick to the topic, please? We don't need yet another thread for showing off how bad their internet connections are.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Can we stick to the topic, please? We don't need yet another thread for showing off how bad their internet connections are.

this thread is known for easily going slightly OT, but there's no need to worry, it puts itself back on track even without people instantly complaining.

Netzero sucks. The ISP host is more like 80 miles away. And you didn't tag me right.

I'm on mobile, it's kinda hard (currently undervolting my CPU).

Actually, kinda back OT, I was researching up undervolting and this guy 8350rocks over on Tom's Hardware was adamant that undervolting INCREASED temperatures because the 'CPU was looking for power that wasn't there'.

I'm sorry, what?

Actually, kinda back OT, I was researching up undervolting and this guy 8350rocks over on Tom's Hardware was adamant that undervolting INCREASED temperatures because the 'CPU was looking for power that wasn't there'.

I'm sorry, what?

Yeah, that member has a bit of a reputation over on Tom's Hardware forums. Needles to say, take anything he says with the grain of salt. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Yeah, that member has a bit of a reputation over on Tom's Hardware forums. Needles to say, take anything he says with the grain of salt. ;)

After reading countless other guides, and using my common sense and general physics/electrical knowledge (dad's a sparky) I figured he'd got the wrong end of the stick. Or the wrong stick :P