Experiences with non-techies

Despite Linus's perfect video some noobs need a perfect one specialy engineered by retardologists

->comment section

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Despite Linus's perfect video some noobs need a perfect one specialy engineered by retardologists

->comment section

Wow.

IF YOU NOOBS ARE READING THIS:

The comment section is not Yahoo Answers. It's a comment section. Stop asking questions there and create an account here. We'll do it for you, here.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

my older brother says you can't upgrade gateway PC, and acer sucks because the salesman at officedepot told him so *facepalm*

my older brother says you can't upgrade gateway PC, and acer sucks because the salesman at officedepot told him so *facepalm*

Beyond the parts that can be accessed (after removing 25 screws and nearly breaking some parts), it's upgradeable... The only thing that I curse about laptops is "WHY THE FUCK CAN'T I GET THE OEM FAN REPLACED BECAUSE THE LAPTOP IS THREE FUCKING YEARS OLD!? WHY THE FUCK DO YOU STOP PRODUCING PARTS FOR A DEVICE THAT ONLY CAME OUT 3 YEARS AGO!? AND WHY THE FUCK CAN'T I USE THE SAME FAN FROM A DIFFERENT MODELED LAPTOP!?" courtesy of the only Acer service center in my proximity that I know of...

Beyond the parts that can be accessed (after removing 25 screws and nearly breaking some parts), it's upgradeable... The only thing that I curse about laptops is "WHY THE FUCK CAN'T I GET THE OEM FAN REPLACED BECAUSE THE LAPTOP IS THREE FUCKING YEARS OLD!? WHY THE FUCK DO YOU STOP PRODUCING PARTS FOR A DEVICE THAT ONLY CAME OUT 3 YEARS AGO!? AND WHY THE FUCK CAN'T I USE THE SAME FAN FROM A DIFFERENT MODELED LAPTOP!?" courtesy of the only Acer service center in my proximity that I know of...

he said only acer montiors suck and i was talking like desktop pcs, i should have noted that

he said only acer montiors suck and i was talking like desktop pcs, i should have noted that

I forgot that they even made desktops... Still, the cases are crap, the internals are usually crap, and they're slightly overpriced... All you get is the aesthetically pleasing case with the shiny Acer logo... Oh did I mention the crap PSU that they come with?

Well I feel like a non techie was watching a film while fucking around with mods for my phone and I'm after completely soft bricking it. Now trying to find stock recovery RUU's because Cyanogen mod won't install :/

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Well I feel like a non techie was watching a film while fucking around with mods for my phone and I'm after completely soft bricking it. Now trying to find stock recovery RUU's because Cyanogen mod won't install :/

I learned my lesson in the past so now whenever I'm getting into something I hadn't done before I always do as much research as I can before I start the project. Specifically I do research on the "what if it breaks" aspect as that will often lead me to ways of preventing it :D Point being do your research and certainly RTFM (or at least skim the important parts) when attempting something you hadn't done before.

I learned my lesson in the past so now whenever I'm getting into something I hadn't done before I always do as much research as I can before I start the project. Specifically I do research on the "what if it breaks" aspect as that will often lead me to ways of preventing it :D Point being do your research and certainly RTFM (or at least skim the important parts) when attempting something you hadn't done before.

I've done it before I was just distracted and didn't think about what I was doing an shot myself in the foot.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Fixed it :D

Had to double post because I wanted a timestamp for my own personal records :P

R9 7950x | RTX4090

One of the service receptionist at work got a new monitor because the resolution was to low they had it set to 800x600 even though it could do 1080p.

When the new one came in they were like "oh look at my new wide screen TV" ITS A FREAKING MONITOR!

To make things worse came in and my monitor wouldn't display anything this morning, told them about it "Oh it's probably because Dave has reset the system (router)"

I finally snapped back and told them to stop being stupid, I can live people not understanding tech but not pretending that they know and pot shotting stupid reasons

I forgot that they even made desktops... Still, the cases are crap, the internals are usually crap, and they're slightly overpriced... All you get is the aesthetically pleasing case with the shiny Acer logo... Oh did I mention the crap PSU that they come with?

I have 2 Acer Aspire M3910s. They have i3 550s and GT330s (one of those was replaced by a GT630). The board isn't very good (green PCB, H57) but it's the only mATX case with 4 front USB ports! And I haven't had any problems with their PSUs.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

I have 2 Acer Aspire M3910s. They have i3 550s and GT330s (one of those was replaced by a GT630). The board isn't very good (green PCB, H57) but it's the only mATX case with 4 front USB ports! And I haven't had any problems with their PSUs.

Not the only small case though, my school has some hp's with 4 USB ports on the front.

There is a kid's gaming show on TV that my brother watches, and they have a segment where viewers ask questions. Most of them are 12-year-old console plebs, but the worst question I've heard is this:

hi, i rly like ur show, i watch it evry day if my mum lets me. anyway, i saw that new game called cliffhorse by notch on ur show. i want teh link, no download pls

They don't even know the definition of the word "download", because that's the only way to get the game. 

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

I sometimes hate to be the tech kid at home.

My dad: I took some pictures with my camera, plugged the SD card in the reader, but nothing happens!

Me: I told you I wanted to remove the card reader, as the drivers don't work in Windows 7.

My dad: Where do I plug it in then?

Me: The printer has SD slots.

My dad: Why is photo transfer so slow?

Me: Don't ask me, you lived in the time of DOS documents on floppy disks.

My dad: So, now the photo's are on the computer? *clicks once on the photo*

Me: Yes, and btw you need to double click the photo. Also, can I remove the cardreader?

My dad: No.

It's like they don't trust the techie? The same people who didn't care about me playing Grand Theft Auto III with them sitting in the same room at the age of 11?

Also:

Me: *doing stuff with laptop*

My mom: Don't break your laptop, don't install games on it or anything!

Me: Well, guess what? It says: "MSI Gaming" on the cover! Besides, I only need 500GB storage so I can use the other 250GB for other stuff!

My mom: *Walks away*

Funny, because I said to her, that Gaming laptops have way higher quality components than say, Lenovo's of the same price.

Laptop: Intel Core i5-4200H, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, GeForce 840M

Desktop: Intel Core i3-6100, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, GeForce GTX 750 Ti

One of the service receptionist at work got a new monitor because the resolution was to low they had it set to 800x600 even though it could do 1080p. When the new one came in they were like "oh look at my new wide screen TV" ITS A FREAKING MONITOR! To make things worse came in and my monitor wouldn't display anything this morning, told them about it "Oh it's probably because Dave has reset the system (router)" I finally snapped back and told them to stop being stupid, I can live people not understanding tech but not pretending that they know and pot shotting stupid reasons

So wait they had to set the resolution to 800x600 because the computer couldn't handle it or the receptionist couldn't handle it? I have learned that to the basic user anything that shows the magic moving pictures is a TV and if you ask them to turn on their computers they will turn the monitor off.

The reason they probably think resetting the router killed your monitor is probably because some tech gave them that as a reason many years ago because he couldn't be bothered trying to explain that the reason their shit wasn't working was because they need to turn it on or some other really basic error that a two year old hyped up on LSD would probably have been able to figure out.

I do agree with the philosophy that if you don't know what you are talking about, even if you want to be helpful, just say "I don't know." Sadly users don't understand that I would rather a simple "I don't know why its broken" than "Its the flux capacitor man... it blew on the last lap of the word spreadsheet and now we will have to restart the print spooler and reinstall java! By the way can you unblock facebook for me?" I don't know their jobs and don't pretend to so why do they need to pretend to know mine?

well damn that got a little ranty... my bad but I have just spent the entire morning funnily enough fixing a receptionists computer :D

Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate Wants you! Join now!

UOLTT Basop | Misc Freelancer & Origin M50

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx

So wait they had to set the resolution to 800x600 because the computer couldn't handle it or the receptionist couldn't handle it? I have learned that to the basic user anything that shows the magic moving pictures is a TV and if you ask them to turn on their computers they will turn the monitor off.The reason they probably think resetting the router killed your monitor is probably because some tech gave them that as a reason many years ago because he couldn't be bothered trying to explain that the reason their shit wasn't working was because they need to turn it on or some other really basic error that a two year old hyped up on LSD would probably have been able to figure out.I do agree with the philosophy that if you don't know what you are talking about, even if you want to be helpful, just say "I don't know." Sadly users don't understand that I would rather a simple "I don't know why its broken" than "Its the flux capacitor man... it blew on the last lap of the word spreadsheet and now we will have to restart the print spooler and reinstall java! By the way can you unblock facebook for me?" I don't know their jobs and don't pretend to so why do they need to pretend to know mine?well damn that got a little ranty... my bad but I have just spent the entire morning funnily enough fixing a receptionists computer :D
When don't you rant ;)It was 800x600 because she set it like that, the writing is apparently to small.The monitor thing was just because she has no clue, she has to bring in her kindle because she has no idea how to download books.She even went round telling customers our servers 30 miles away where down because someone opened an email but it was due to a short circuit because of monsoon type rain and the building they servers are in is halfway down a steep hill, rain got in and bang.
There is a kid's gaming show on TV that my brother watches, and they have a segment where viewers ask questions. Most of them are 12-year-old console plebs, but the worst question I've heard is this:They don't even know the definition of the word "download", because that's the only way to get the game.
They kids man
I sometimes hate to be the tech kid at home.My dad: I took some pictures with my camera, plugged the SD card in the reader, but nothing happens!Me: I told you I wanted to remove the card reader, as the drivers don't work in Windows 7.My dad: Where do I plug it in then?Me: The printer has SD slots.My dad: Why is photo transfer so slow?Me: Don't ask me, you lived in the time of DOS documents on floppy disks.My dad: So, now the photo's are on the computer? *clicks once on the photo*Me: Yes, and btw you need to double click the photo. Also, can I remove the cardreader?My dad: No.It's like they don't trust the techie? The same people who didn't care about me playing Grand Theft Auto III with them sitting in the same room at the age of 11?Also:Me: *doing stuff with laptop*My mom: Don't break your laptop, don't install games on it or anything!Me: Well, guess what? It says: "MSI Gaming" on the cover! Besides, I only need 500GB storage so I can use the other 250GB for other stuff!My mom: *Walks away*Funny, because I said to her, that Gaming laptops have way higher quality components than say, Lenovo's of the same price.
Your dad said no so deal with it and show your mum some respect.

Funny, because I said to her, that Gaming laptops have way higher quality components than say, Lenovo's of the same price.

Not neccessarily!

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

More powerful? Most of the time, yes.

Higher quality? Not necessarily. Lenovo is a reputable brand when it comes to laptops.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

When don't you rant ;) It was 800x600 because she set it like that, the writing is apparently to small. The monitor thing was just because she has no clue, she has to bring in her kindle because she has no idea how to download books. She even went round telling customers our servers 30 miles away where down because someone opened an email but it was due to a short circuit because of monsoon type rain and the building they servers are in is halfway down a steep hill, rain got in and bang.

I don't rant when I am too tired or too drunk to rant dammit! :P She doesn't sound too bright haha especially telling customers that, most you say is IT is resolving the issue.

Update on my reception pc, she managed to get into the hp system recovery somehow after her computer crashed and she happened to wipe the machine... apparently it was like that... Goodie! So far no documents (that should have been on the server) have been recoverable. heh going to be fun telling her all her stuff is gone.

Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate Wants you! Join now!

UOLTT Basop | Misc Freelancer & Origin M50

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx

I don't rant when I am too tired or too drunk to rant dammit! :P She doesn't sound too bright haha especially telling customers that, most you say is IT is resolving the issue.

Update on my reception pc, she managed to get into the hp system recovery somehow after her computer crashed and she happened to wipe the machine... apparently it was like that... Goodie! So far no documents (that should have been on the server) have been recoverable. heh going to be fun telling her all her stuff is gone.

Yeah it's not just IT she's bad at, she had a month off last year and we went from the lowest earning branch to the highest :D and she has no product knowledge and refuses to learn it

I'm sure your receptionist is blaming you for not being able to recover the data

Yeah it's not just IT she's bad at, she had a month off last year and we went from the lowest earning branch to the highest :D and she has no product knowledge and refuses to learn it

I'm sure your receptionist is blaming you for not being able to recover the data

If you're lucky an NTFS tool similar to extundelete may be able to save you unless she managed to completely nuke the drive

This guy. THIS GUY. THIS GUY. THIS GUY. THIS GUY. THIS GUY.

What the hell was this guy thinking?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

This guy. THIS GUY. THIS GUY. THIS GUY. THIS GUY. THIS GUY.

What the hell was this guy thinking?

It's an entire new level of non-techie.