Experiences with non-techies

In a recent movie (not sure which one) a guy says he pulled the hard drive from the computer and he's standing there holding an optical disc drive.

Hard drives have been around as long as VCR's. Shouldn't people understand wtf a hard drive is and what it does by now?! :angry:

Cars have been around since the late 1800s and many people son't know jack shit about them

In a recent movie (not sure which one) a guy says he pulled the hard drive from the computer and he's standing there holding an optical disc drive.

Hard drives have been around as long as VCR's. Shouldn't people understand wtf a hard drive is and what it does by now?! :angry:

Maybe they didn't have one on hand to use, or it was easier to get the actor to pull a disc drive out for whatever reason. You gotta put your 'drama people' hat on - it's either for 'effect' or 'to save time or hassle'.

Makes me sad they can't get this right, but they're actors.....their whole life is essentially fake

Cars have been around since the late 1800s and many people son't know jack shit about them

But cars have a lot more parts...

i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3 1866 @ CL9, ASUS GTX 780, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, WD Black 1TB x 2, EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W, BenQ XL2420TE 24" 144Hz @ 1080p, CM Nepton 280L, Noctua Industrial IP67 2000RPM 140mm PWM Fan x 6

My brother just joined the Roblox community...may god help him.

Maybe he can play with my brother, terrytek. (account name)

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Maybe he can play with my brother, terrytek. (account name)

NEIN!

He only wants to play with his neighbor on his virus-filled laptop.

My neighbor's Inspiron (run by a 11-year-old) has the stock "Dell Media Center", some random shit, runs slow as fuck with an i5, and he uses it on his leather couch, smothering the laptop to it's demise.

NEIN!

He only wants to play with his neighbor on his virus-filled laptop.

My neighbor's Inspiron (run by a 11-year-old) has the stock "Dell Media Center", some random shit, runs slow as fuck with an i5, and he uses it on his leather couch, smothering the laptop to it's demise.

Steal the laptop. delete his Roblox and his viruses, and keep it for yourself.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Steal the laptop. delete his Roblox and his viruses, and keep it for yourself.

The laptop is beyond repair. It's like a car that's been totaled. It's also really disgusting, there's weird brown crust on the edge of the trackpad.

The laptop is beyond repair. It's like a car that's been totaled. It's also really disgusting, there's weird brown crust on the edge of the trackpad.

Brown crust?? Ewwwww. What do you mean by beyond repair? How bad does it look?

Brown crust?? Ewwwww. What do you mean by beyond repair? How bad does it look?

It's repairable but it's too much work. Plus it really looks like shit even though it's only 3 years old, the same age as my laptop. Save for a peeling Windows 7 sticker, my laptop looks WAY WAY BETTER than his.

I'd have to redo the OS, apply new TIM to the cooler, and wipe it down entirely w/ disinfectant.

It's repairable but it's too much work. Plus it really looks like shit even though it's only 3 years old, the same age as my laptop. Save for a peeling Windows 7 sticker, my laptop looks WAY WAY BETTER than his.

I'd have to redo the OS, apply new TIM to the cooler, and wipe it down entirely w/ disinfectant.

Tell him you'll do it for him for $40. 

Tell him you'll do it for him for $40. 

I offered to do so free of charge and he declined my services, so no.

I offered to do so free of charge and he declined my services, so no.

What. A. Moron.

I don't know that much about cars... I don't care much for them.

A day after I built my computer I brought it downstairs and took off the side panels to do some cable management. My mom gasped and she said "If you open the panel too many items you're going to break it!"

I just asked her, "Have you built a computer?" And went on with the cable management.

"Oh boy! 64 gigabytes of ram to play Minecraft and Garry's Mod! And I'll also get this 750 Ti because the number is so close to 760, 770, 780 so their performance MUST be similar! I'm getting such a steal!!"

-

My friend's dad's friend sold my friend's dad apparently $800 worth of "gaming" parts. I asked him what he got. X4 740, random cheap Gigabyte motherboard, Tt TR2 500w (not 80+), Tt V3 Black case, EVGA 2GB GT 610. He thought that the more VRAM, the better. I told him what a bad deal he got. He told his dad, and his dad was like "Okay, I'll get you a 4gb R9 270!" Guess who his dad's buying that from. His friend...

He plays Minecraft and has a Dell 1280x1024 monitor...

I don't know what to say. What's with the 'ooh it's a magic box and if you even look at it the wrong way you'll displease the gods, cause it to catch on fire and disgrace the family name'? At a hardware level it's no different to working on a car. Opening the bonnet too many times won't suddenly cause it to explode.....

As for that guy with the 1280x1024 monitor - u wouldn't pass judgement based on someone's screen. A friend of mine has a 1440x900 old TN panel (like my current secondary monitor) and plays @ 720p but doesn't see a point in 1080p and is quite happy with his current screen. He's a damn sight better in any game than I am

Sorry, double post. Phone told me it couldn't connect to forum.

As for that guy with the 1280x1024 monitor - u wouldn't pass judgement based on someone's screen. A friend of mine has a 1440x900 old TN panel (like my current secondary monitor) and plays @ 720p but doesn't see a point in 1080p and is quite happy with his current screen. He's a damn sight better in any game than I am

Yeah... I'm playing on a 17" 1280x1024 VA monitor too. Even though I could get used 1920x1080 screens for above 30€, I don't see a reason to buy one, I can play in 720p just fine and my current monitor still works after 8-ish years.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Yeah... I'm playing on a 17" 1280x1024 VA monitor too. Even though I could get used 1920x1080 screens for above 30€, I don't see a reason to buy one, I can play in 720p just fine and my current monitor still works after 8-ish years.

Mmn, I only got one because I have the PC to play at 1080p, I wanted my own monitor (my 1440x900 19", and an older 1280x1024 17" are both my dad's) and I needed a screen with a digital input because using a DVI - VGA adapter was causing weird interference in the image.

Oh, and damn IPS is beautiful!

"Oh boy! 64 gigabytes of ram to play Minecraft and Garry's Mod! And I'll also get this 750 Ti because the number is so close to 760, 770, 780 so their performance MUST be similar! I'm getting such a steal!!"

The 750 Ti isn't that bad, it can run BF4 at 1080p at 44FPS average.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

I don't know what to say. What's with the 'ooh it's a magic box and if you even look at it the wrong way you'll displease the gods, cause it to catch on fire and disgrace the family name'? At a hardware level it's no different to working on a car. Opening the bonnet too many times won't suddenly cause it to explode.....

Well from a mechanic's perspective, sometimes mechanical items are press fit together, and frequently disassembling them could cause enough material wear to increase the tolerances and hinder function. Sometimes, the tolerances are intentionally too tight, so that the material may wear to a "perfect" break-in. As far as car parts, the brake pads would be an example. It's not that idiotic to believe taking something apart over and over can damage it, though in the case of a PC it doesn't apply.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 3700x CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) SSD: Samsung 970 Plus 250GB NVME, WD Blue 2TB m.2, Crucial M500 240GB GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW PSU: Seasonic G-Series 550W CASE: Corsair 220T RGB

Well from a mechanic's perspective, sometimes mechanical items are press fit together, and frequently disassembling them could cause enough material wear to increase the tolerances and hinder function. Sometimes, the tolerances are intentionally too tight, so that the material may wear to a "perfect" break-in. As far as car parts, the brake pads would be an example. It's not that idiotic to believe taking something apart over and over can damage it, though in the case of a PC it doesn't apply.

I'm not a mechanic, so I'll take your word on this. Obviously, if you have a part that fits exactly, then moving it too much will cause wear from friction (just like a part that moves on its own), but in my anology I was doing a more direct comparison to what was stated in the post I quoted (ie opening the side panel, or opening the bonnet/hood which would be similar things)

Yeah but there are people I know that think the higher the number, the better the graphics card is. Like a 660 and a 750. My friend would choose 750 because of the higher number,

Oh, I see. I used to think so too. Thought a GT610 is better than a 330.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Why don't people actually care for their electronics or appliances in general? For example: if they trash their car, they will lose a lot of money on repairs or spending their savings on a new vehicle. I just don't get certain types of people. :mellow:

-snip-

I fully agree with that, I've heard so many times in the past "don't run too much programs otherwise the computer freezes or son, don't play (insert game title with awesome physics mechanics here) otherwise the computer crashes and it's all your fault.

(That's what my mother said to me 7+ years ago when I was playing Crashday, a racing game). <_<

Watch out, there might be ninjas out there  :ph34r:

Why don't people actually care for their electronics or appliances in general? For example: if they trash their car, they will lose a lot of money on repairs or spending their savings on a new vehicle. I just don't get certain types of people. :mellow:

I fully agree with that, I've heard so many times in the past "don't run too much programs otherwise the computer freezes or son, don't play (insert game title with awesome physics mechanics here) otherwise the computer crashes and it's all your fault.

(That's what my mother said to me 7+ years ago when I was playing Crashday, a racing game). <_<

Well they are right about it freezing when you run too many programs (kinda) - My computer gets pretty sluggish and unresponsive then I'm using 8GB/8GB RAM (due to running a virtual machine), and when I close it, my computer becomes practically unusable while it saves the state and exits. Although it's not really a normal use case.

HTTP/2 203