Experiences with non-techies

My friend was complaining about his computer not working earlier (it wasn't turning on), and that he was thinking about getting another motherboard. I offered to come round and fix it, and lo and behold the monitor was plugged into the motherboard rather than his 560Ti. Sure, its not too bad except that had I not intervened he would have bought another motherboard, and probably an incompatible one at that.

HTTP/2 203

My dad blames me for forgetting his passwords..  -_-

NingoCase: NZXT H440 White, Motherboard: MSI MPower Z97, CPU: Intel 4790k, Cooler: Corsair H100i (2x Noctua NF-F12) GPU: MSI GTX 970, Memory: 12GB Kingston, SSD: Samsung EVO 120gb, HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB, PSU: evga 850 g3

I was doing some work in the Ubuntu terminal, my mom freaked out when she saw what happens when you type in sudo apt-get update.

In my school, anything that is not Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, or things like that is hacking.

When you have that friend with a Pentium G860 and 1GB Radeon HD 7770 (Mentioned him before) who put the psu and gpu in that prebuilt, and didn't even try to manage cables. He tends to always say he has a powerful computer that can max games with ease, and says it runs silent... It sounds like a jet engine in skype calls depending on the game... -_-

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

*internet goes down*

*Looks to see if wifi disconnected*

Sister: Christopher!

Me: What?!

Sister: What happened to the router?!?!

Me: How the hell should I know?!?

*Goes into her room where the router is*

*Finds sister on computer literally 1 foot from the router*

Me: Unplug and plug back in the white cable

Sister: Which one is the white one. 

Me: There is only one white cable

*Does that a few times*

*Gets frustrated and gets laptop with the router's control panel thing on it*

*Puts laptop on top of sister's laptop as there is no space on her desk and the ethernet cable is not long enough to use it on the floor*

Sister: I really don't appreciate you putting your laptop on top of mine

*Fixes router than angrily storms out of room saying how people should appreciate the fact that I actually know how to fix shit and that's why the router should be in my room*

When you have that friend with a Pentium G860 and 1GB Radeon HD 7770 (Mentioned him before) who put the psu and gpu in that prebuilt, and didn't even try to manage cables. He tends to always say he has a powerful computer that can max games with ease, and says it runs silent... It sounds like a jet engine in skype calls depending on the game... -_-

When was the last time he had his hearing checked?

When was the last time he had his hearing checked?

No clue, but that thing is LOUD at times...

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

*internet goes down*

*Looks to see if wifi disconnected*

Sister: Christopher!

Me: What?!

Sister: What happened to the router?!?!

Me: How the hell should I know?!?

*Goes into her room where the router is*

*Finds sister on computer literally 1 foot from the router*

Me: Unplug and plug back in the white cable

Sister: Which one is the white one. 

Me: There is only one white cable

*Does that a few times*

*Gets frustrated and gets laptop with the router's control panel thing on it*

*Puts laptop on top of sister's laptop as there is no space on her desk and the ethernet cable is not long enough to use it on the floor*

Sister: I really don't appreciate you putting your laptop on top of mine

*Fixes router than angrily storms out of room saying how people should appreciate the fact that I actually know how to fix shit and that's why the router should be in my room*

I wish I was the one and only network admin in my house but nope my dad thinks he knows how computers work and so the router is in my mom's office with him doing a lot of the problem solving. Generally he isn't too bad at it but sometimes I cringe when I learn about his idea of solving a problem.

A good example happened yesterday when my mom's computer was doing a chkdsk and my dad unplugged the modem thinking that "hackers" (should be crackers!!!) are "hacking" the computer. If he was that paranoid that someone could affect a chkdsk through the internet then he should have unplugged the ethernet connection to the pc directly and not shut down the internet for me and my brother. Oh well at least he didn't unplug the computer's power which he might have had I not gotten there in time...

My dad blames me for forgetting his passwords..  -_-

That's people the world over, not just dads.  They vent their frustrations by "blaming" other people for their own mistakes.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

that "hackers" (should be crackers!!!) are "hacking" the computer

This rather strikes me as the same sort of thing as typing 'should of' when it should be 'should have'. Complain and all you will get is a reply saying as long as you understood it's fine and English is an evolving language (if you don't get the classic "GRAMMAR NAZI" or FOAD ).  No matter how ignorant or wrong it appears to those who know better if a lot (not necessarily a majority) accept it then it is 'fair enough'.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

I was at the library today, all of the kids at the computers were playing games, so I took my library card out, signed on to a computer, and started browsing ark.intel. Several kids gave me a weird look for not playing a game, it's retarded that I get frowned upon for not being "with it", I have my own fucking ways and I don't fall for the shit that Apple gives me.

Why do I feel like I am the only kid not falling for the shit that Apple gives the young population and the only kid interested in getting rid of his iPad in exchange for a decent laptop? (Check out my latest blog entry)

It is OK now.. Apple are maybe more appealing to the teenage population than they should, but that is no reason to hate without reason. If you don't want to have an iPad, don't buy one...

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

My sister is into Tumblr, I was doing my regular virus, toolbar etc removal on her machine and had a look in the Pictures folder. Over 6000 pictures, no subfolders. Made funnier by the fact she cleans her house compulsively.

Reminded me of the Friends episode with Monica's secret closet. 

CPU: i5 4670K  Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo  MB: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX  RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance  GPU: MSI R9 280 3GB

PSU: EVGA 600W Bronze  Case: Corsair 200R (with pair of 120MM Noctua Redux PWM fans)  SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO

HDD: 1TB Toshiba DT01ACA100   Optical: Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-ray writer

Wow, who would pay 1 grand for a fucking HDMI cable??????

And who would use a freaking HDMI cable for audio???

EDIT: And pay a grand for it

Lord Pantaloons, on 30 Nov 2014 - 7:32 PM, said: If Lawrence leaves his house and travels at a constant 40 MPH. How long will it take Bill from next door to shove a banana up his mom's rectum?

FX-6300Gigabyte R9 270X 4 GB OCWD Blue 1 TBCorsair Carbide 300RArctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev. 2Silverstone Strider Essential 500WAsus M5A97 R2.0Dell P2314HYamaha HTR-5740Mordaunt-Short Avant 309iSuperlux HD-668 BCooler Master CM Storm Quickfire UltimateGigabyte M6900Oneplus One 64 GB

My ex girlfriend bought a Mac.

Good for her... There are a lot of genuine use cases for a mac, and it's not like only a very small number of people (who don't fit into that use case) actually own one - despite what techies tend to think, there are a fairly large number of people in the world who use a mac. Even among techies, the very limited sample that I have stats for 2% of people use macs (but take that with a pinch of salt because that's 2 people in the 100 surveyed)

HTTP/2 203

Good for her... There are a lot of genuine use cases for a mac, and it's not like only a very small number of people (who don't fit into that use case) actually own one - despite what techies tend to think, there are a fairly large number of people in the world who use a mac. Even among techies, the very limited sample that I have stats for 2% of people use macs (but take that with a pinch of salt because that's 2 people in the 100 surveyed)

I don't know I just couldn't I had to break up with her.

If I wasn't a gamer I would never buy a PC. So I don't see what's wrong with buying a mac.

Everyone can buy whatever they need :)

people thinking that building a computer means actually making the components, soldering and what not

Actually you assemble it then, not build it

Nothing I just don't like them

Well, I have 2 Windows machines and then a Macbook Pro.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D