Experiences with non-techies

My best friend said that windows sucks because it does not delete your files. He just pressed the delete and sent them to recycle bin. *facepalm*

Year ago my dsi xl broke and i went back to the store. When i said that my dsi broke the lady pushed rubber pads/dots under the dsi and said: did you press these buttons?

Sorry for my bad english im from estonia (pointless country who invented skype :) ) and i am 14 and i learned my english from youtube

Your English is actually quite good

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Yes, because Dell is a well known OS obviously...

I heard it's better than. Linux or windows

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

I told my friend that downloadmoreram.com is a joke but he didn't believe me. He said that he had already downloaded 16GB of RAM and his computer is so fast now! What an idiot!

CPU:Intel® Core™ i7-4690K  MOBO: Asus Z97 PRO  RAM: 16GB Kingston GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 980 CASE: Cooler Master SSD: Samsung EVO 850 240GB  HDD: 2TB WD Red PSU: CX750M  CPU COOLER: 212 Evo CASE FANS: Cooler Master

Thank You, kind Sir!

CPU:Intel® Core™ i7-4690K  MOBO: Asus Z97 PRO  RAM: 16GB Kingston GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 980 CASE: Cooler Master SSD: Samsung EVO 850 240GB  HDD: 2TB WD Red PSU: CX750M  CPU COOLER: 212 Evo CASE FANS: Cooler Master

Yea dude I have watched all of linus' build guides and a few on newegg's channel and my first build booted up properly and it works! So thanks linus and newegg!

I heard it's better than. Linux or windows

Did you know, you can quote all of the posts you want to quote in one post of yours. No need for triple posting. Just for you to know.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

I told my friend that downloadmoreram.com is a joke but he didn't believe me. He said that he had already downloaded 16GB of RAM and his computer is so fast now! What an idiot!

Must be one of those special kinds of fools just like some console gamers who think with each update their exbawkz is getting faster and faster. "woohoo downloaded a gtx780 love my exbawks"

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013).

I don't think I need to say much about this picture except that DocM built his own rig and is now saying this.

Posted Image

That said sponsorship in the YT industry is important

My mom thinks everything on a computer is a hard drive. Whenever I used to say my games were lagging she told me to get a new hard drive :(

RIP in pepperonis m8s

I don't think I need to say much about this picture except that DocM built his own rig and is now saying this.

-snip-

They would probably give him a laptop or an x51 for living room use. if I were to be offered a sponsorship by Alienware, I'd take it.

They would probably give him a laptop or an x51 for living room use. if I were to be offered a sponsorship by Alienware, I'd take it.

I'm not denying that if it's a good deal that doesn't require constant "oh I use Alienware this and Alienware that and it's the best and I love it because it makes me a better gamer" every video then I would take it as Youtube's a risky career, but it's still buying into overpriced stuff with flashy lights.

• When my mum resets the router because the internet is being slow (I'll be honest, that did fix it, if only because it meant my sister gave up on watching endless makeup videos and went to sleep)
  • When my step-dad buys things, such as our internet, his computer, his Powerline adaptors, etc. etc. because they're "the cheapest one"
  • When my mum is confused as to why her document isn't printing - "You haven't plugged the printer into your laptop, Mum" "Oh. I thought it was Bluetooth" (wtf Bluetooth printers aren't even a thing). Considering we've had this printer for several years, and it's never been Bluetooth, I'm not entirely sure what she was thinking. I think she's losing her mind.
  • When my Mum buys a Mac because she "is old and knows how to use Macs" (that's actually what she said)
  • When the guy in PC World, when told we don't want MS Office and can just use OpenOffice or LibreOffice, claims they aren't compatible with Windows 8.
  • When all of my family use Apple products religiously
  • When my dad thinks "Macs never go wrong"
  • When my dad tries to justify not being able to upgrade or repair Macs - "it means Apple can control what hardware people use; it just works"
  • When my mum gets angry at me for not knowing why our internet is down
  • When my mum gets angry at me for the internet going slowly, even though I only have a few Chrome tabs open
  • When my parents claim my games break the computer (actually they just run like shit because they still haven't bothered to upgrade this 7 year old piece of junk)
  • When my dad claims "Steam is badly optimised" because his old MacBook is so terrible Steam crashes when you close it - I'm pretty sure Valve know what they're doing, Dad
  • When my sister thinks a standard size mousepad is "huge"
  • When my family think I'm weird for wanting to put my new computer (should be building Aug-Sep) on my desk instead of on the floor
  • When my friend (JS) thinks overclocking has absolutely no performance benefits and will cause his computer to melt.
  • When JS thinks that making a USB boot drive is "moronic"
  • When JS thinks iOS is better than Android but thinks Ubuntu is the best OS
  • When people at school try to claim consoles are somehow better than PC

MY LIFE IS TERRIBLE

NO-ONE UNDERSTANDS ME

DROGON: Intel i5-4690K @ 3.5 GHz /// MSI Z97 Gaming 5 /// Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x4GB @ 1600MHz /// EVGA GTX 780 Classified /// Phanteks Enthoo Pro /// Crucial MX100 512GB SSD /// Corsair AX760i /// Corsair H105 /// Corsair Vengeance K70 /// Corsair M45 /// Dell Ultrasharp U2414H /// Build log: completed

Oh oh oh I got it! My neighbor up the street was in middle school and was on the computer. He accidentally opened up Windows Media Player which shows the 3 songs that come stock with W7 (Sleep Away, Kalimba, some othe classical song). His teacher comes along and accuses him of pirating songs in school. He went to the principal's office and his mother told the principal that those were the songs that came with Windows 7.

*I forget whether I posted this earlier*

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

• When my mum resets the router because the internet is being slow (I'll be honest, that did fix it, if only because it meant my sister gave up on watching endless makeup videos and went to sleep) This works surprisingly often, although obviously you should try to see whether the problem is somewhere else before doing that
  • When my step-dad buys things, such as our internet, his computer, his Powerline adaptors, etc. etc. because they're "the cheapest one"
  • When my mum is confused as to why her document isn't printing - "You haven't plugged the printer into your laptop, Mum" "Oh. I thought it was Bluetooth" (wtf Bluetooth printers aren't even a thing). Considering we've had this printer for several years, and it's never been Bluetooth, I'm not entirely sure what she was thinking. I think she's losing her mind.
  • When my Mum buys a Mac because she "is old and knows how to use Macs" (that's actually what she said) Good for her - if she can use a mac then she has every right to use it
  • When the guy in PC World, when told we don't want MS Office and can just use OpenOffice or LibreOffice, claims they aren't compatible with Windows 8.
  • When all of my family use Apple products religiously
  • When my dad thinks "Macs never go wrong"
  • When my dad tries to justify not being able to upgrade or repair Macs - "it means Apple can control what hardware people use; it just works" Good point. More relevant to iOS, but still a valid point on OSX.
  • When my mum gets angry at me for the internet going slowly, even though I only have a few Chrome tabs open
  • When my parents claim my games break the computer (actually they just run like shit because they still haven't bothered to upgrade this 7 year old piece of junk)
  • When my dad claims "Steam is badly optimised" because his old MacBook is so terrible Steam crashes when you close it - I'm pretty sure Valve know what they're doing, Dad Steam really isn't the best written program ever, and could really use some work. But a lot of people love Valve too much to recognise their shortcomings
  • When my sister thinks a standard size mousepad is "huge"
  • When my family think I'm weird for wanting to put my new computer (should be building Aug-Sep) on my desk instead of on the floor
  • When my friend (JS) thinks overclocking has absolutely no performance benefits and will cause his computer to melt.
  • When JS thinks that making a USB boot drive is "moronic"
  • When JS thinks iOS is better than Android but thinks Ubuntu is the best OS And he is entitled to that opinion. There's nothing particularly wrong with iOS, and many people prefer it. If he likes Linux, let him. Sure, it's an unusual combination, but good for him.
  • When people at school try to claim consoles are somehow better than PC

MY LIFE IS TERRIBLE

NO-ONE UNDERSTANDS ME

HTTP/2 203

MY LIFE IS TERRIBLE

NO-ONE UNDERSTANDS ME

The first one, we went from about .5Mb/s down to 3 Mb/s down with it at about 1.00Mb/s with four computers on. My dad thinks the old internet - slower one of course - is much faster and could handle 10 computers watching 1080p videos... It has issues buffering music over Spotify, and I don't want to go back to that. Especially with downloads at a peak of 55Mb/s. We're probably going to end up back to the crappy 3x more expensive internet until he realizes how much slower it actually is. :(

And the second one, idle tabs in Web Browsers don't use any internet as long as they're completely loaded.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

The guy doesn't even know what he wants, that was awful, and boring.

Mini ITX MOBO in a ATX case...

Lord Pantaloons, on 30 Nov 2014 - 7:32 PM, said: If Lawrence leaves his house and travels at a constant 40 MPH. How long will it take Bill from next door to shove a banana up his mom's rectum?

FX-6300Gigabyte R9 270X 4 GB OCWD Blue 1 TBCorsair Carbide 300RArctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev. 2Silverstone Strider Essential 500WAsus M5A97 R2.0Dell P2314HYamaha HTR-5740Mordaunt-Short Avant 309iSuperlux HD-668 BCooler Master CM Storm Quickfire UltimateGigabyte M6900Oneplus One 64 GB

And the second one, idle tabs in Web Browsers don't use any internet as long as they're completely loaded.

Exactly! I wasn't watching a video or livestream, and I wasn't downloading a file. Just a handful of static tabs, and somehow it's my fault :P

• When my mum resets the router because the internet is being slow (I'll be honest, that did fix it, if only because it meant my sister gave up on watching endless makeup videos and went to sleep) This works surprisingly often, although obviously you should try to see whether the problem is somewhere else before doing that. I didn't know that. With our last router the Wi-Fi would cut out several times a day, and you'd have to reset it to fix it - I guess this is pretty valid then.
  • When my Mum buys a Mac because she "is old and knows how to use Macs" (that's actually what she said) Good for her - if she can use a mac then she has every right to use it. It's not a bad thing, I just thought her reasoning was amusing :)
  • When my dad tries to justify not being able to upgrade or repair Macs - "it means Apple can control what hardware people use; it just works" Good point. More relevant to iOS, but still a valid point on OSX. It's a legit point, but it still annoys me somewhat, especially when I look at iFixIt videos, and replacing the hard drive in our iMac is the most convoluted thing in the world.
  • When my dad claims "Steam is badly optimised" because his old MacBook is so terrible Steam crashes when you close it - I'm pretty sure Valve know what they're doing, Dad Steam really isn't the best written program ever, and could really use some work. But a lot of people love Valve too much to recognise their shortcomings. But GabeN! I must admit I've never used Steam on anything else, so for all I know it might be exactly like this. But hey, I guess I'm wrong about a lot of things...
  • When JS thinks iOS is better than Android but thinks Ubuntu is the best OS And he is entitled to that opinion. There's nothing particularly wrong with iOS, and many people prefer it. If he likes Linux, let him. Sure, it's an unusual combination, but good for him. I was joking about iOS vs Android - I'm just a bit of an Android fanboi (for my sins). And I just thought it was slightly ironic that he prefers the controlled, locked-down mobile OS, but then likes the open-source, moddable nature of Linux :)

DROGON: Intel i5-4690K @ 3.5 GHz /// MSI Z97 Gaming 5 /// Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x4GB @ 1600MHz /// EVGA GTX 780 Classified /// Phanteks Enthoo Pro /// Crucial MX100 512GB SSD /// Corsair AX760i /// Corsair H105 /// Corsair Vengeance K70 /// Corsair M45 /// Dell Ultrasharp U2414H /// Build log: completed

So today we were joking to someone about them not knowing anything about tech. And so they used the argument that we don't know anything about football, but we were trying to say that football doesn't matter, you use technology every single day of your life yet you don't know anything about it. Anyway, later on in the conversation I bring up a picture of a motherboard and I mention a processor, and this is the golden bit, he goes "I just don't get it, like; how does a processor know all of the internet?".

Specs are on my profile page

Teach a man to fish and he ends up sticking a screw driver in a turned on power supply seeing if it still works.        #KilledMyWifeWithABomb            Resolution is just a number

So today we were joking to someone about them not knowing anything about tech. And so they used the argument that we don't know anything about football, but we were trying to say that football doesn't matter, you use technology every single day of your life yet you don't know anything about it. Anyway, later on in the conversation I bring up a picture of a motherboard and I mention a processor, and this is the golden bit, he goes "I just don't get it, like; how does a processor know all of the internet?".

That is beautiful. That said, most people I know (me included partly because it's funny and partly because it's easier to explain) personify computers. You know, the sort of "oh it's being a dick" or "it won't load because it doesn't like you" etc. Oh, and for some people football is in their everyday life :P This is where you need to be well-versed in a few sports along with technology and being a mechanic. Then they've got nothing to hold you on!

Another conversation with Mr Racist Bigot Idiot.

Idiot: Hi.

Me: I'm getting really tired of you talking to me when I'm trying to do work. What?

Idiot: I need help, [word I can't say here].

Me: Since you called me that, no. Please stop.

Idiot: Just help me! What is RAM?

Me: Random Access Memory.

Idiot: No it isn't. You're messing with me.

Me: No I'm not. It's short-term storage. Just write RAM.

Idiot: [word I can't say here] you. Tell me the real answer, [another word I can't say here].

Me: 

Idiot: [word I can't say here] off, [another word I can't say here].

Me: Okay. If RAM doesn't stand for Random Access Memory, what does it stand for?

Idiot: It can't.

Me: wut

Idiot: It has "Random" in it. That doesn't sound "techie" enough.

I kid you not, no exaggeration, that is precisely what he said.

Another one:

Idiot #2: Hi.

Me: Well, hi.

Idiot #2: I want a Mac.

Me: Okay. For what?

Idiot #2: Video editing, Photo editing and games.

Me: (surprised somebody has bought a Mac for it's intended purpose, except games but still) Cool! In what?

Idiot #2: Windows movie maker and Paint.

Me: "..."

Idiot #2: Oh, and can the MacBook air run Crysis?

All in all, I have a confession to make: I'm not really that "techie". I just hang out on this forum because you guys are pretty cool unlike the football fanboys in my grades that cry over Flappy bird.

I only ever chill on this page: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34813-experiences-with-non-techies/

If you ever spot me anywhere else, you've earned yourself an imaginary cookie  B)

• (wtf Bluetooth printers aren't even a thing).

'Course they are.

http://all-in-one-printers.findthebest.com/d/c/Bluetooth  I have nothing to do with this site I merely 'Googled' "printer bluetooth"

or am I missing something (not unheard of).

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Is the site 'being a dick' for everybody?

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

It's probably because a lot of people are online at the moment, should fix itself soon

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

'Course they are.

http://all-in-one-printers.findthebest.com/d/c/Bluetooth  I have nothing to do with this site I merely 'Googled' "printer bluetooth"

or am I missing something (not unheard of).

Great. I'm wrong again. It's not a great day for me, is it? Still, we've never owned a wireless printer (I assumed these always connect over your network btw), so I'm still not sure why she thought it was Bluetooth.

No, that's just me. Being a dick.