Experiences with non-techies

I feel bad for giving him a view

Me too.

I do as well... *Note to self, Some of the Non-techie videos may be worse than expected. Please advise this before watching another one.*

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I'm not sure what's worse "this house is full of PC computers" which makes no sense - personal computer computers, really? - or "PC's die too easily". For reference we own an old P4 Gateway from Christmas 2005 and it's still just about alive (on a good day). Heck, I've got my dad's old ZX Spectrum which is still alive - and yes it's the one with the 128k ram expansion

I haz a story! (I know its unheard of)

Ok so apparently my brothers friend bought a new HDD for his computer since his first one was running out of space. Apparently hes had it for 7 MONTHS! His reasoning: "Yeah well its just so hard to take the side panel off and I don't have a cable."

I'm not sure what's worse "this house is full of PC computers" which makes no sense - personal computer computers, really? - or "PC's die too easily". For reference we own an old P4 Gateway from Christmas 2005 and it's still just about alive (on a good day). Heck, I've got my dad's old ZX Spectrum which is still alive - and yes it's the one with the 128k ram expansion

Has an old Dell Dimension 4600 that hasn't been attempted to be turned on since 2009. Still boots like it's never been sitting around. That thing even has a P4 as well, except the computer I think is from 2003.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I met a guy on vacation that told me he could open youtube in 2 seconds because had a macbook pro with an i7 with 12 cores. I didn't even bother to react.

that guy realy has no clue what he was talking about, i hope his mac dies in like 2-3 years

He may be saying that he has a 6 core I7 Extreme Edition with Hyper Threading so you could have 6 theoretical cores and 6 physical cores.

Well no one in my family knows what the Task Bar is. You know that thing with all the icons that has been there forever! My mom doesn't know what the menu button on her phone is. And my step mom NEVER closes IOS apps. I tell her she should, and when I explain it she responds, "I don't remember how I get to that, so I just wait for you to come and do it." Also my family doesn't know a single thing about Windows 8. I built a family computer to replace the old one and I installed Windows 8 and no matter how many time you try to explain how to get to the desktop no one knows a thing about what the desktop even is!

"Of course, its trash," Luke, 2014

Well no one in my family knows what the Task Bar is. You know that thing with all the icons that has been there forever! My mom doesn't know what the menu button on her phone is. And my step mom NEVER closes IOS apps. I tell her she should, and when I explain it she responds, "I don't remember how I get to that, so I just wait for you to come and do it." Also my family doesn't know a single thing about Windows 8. I built a family computer to replace the old one and I installed Windows 8 and no matter how many time you try to explain how to get to the desktop no one knows a thing about what the desktop even is!

You should update to 8.1. This will enable the "Boot to desktop" option (which is enabled by default) and adds the start button.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

You should update to 8.1. This will enable the "Boot to desktop" option (which is enabled by default) and adds the start button.

All Windows 8 devices in my house are updated to Windows 8.1 Update 1

All Windows 8 devices in my house are updated to Windows 8.1 Update 1

Then I don't see a reason why you should explain everyone how to get to the desktop.

Then I don't see a reason why you should explain everyone how to get to the desktop.

They don't know how though and then they ask me.

He may be saying that he has a 6 core I7 Extreme Edition with Hyper Threading so you could have 6 theoretical cores and 6 physical cores.

They don't have those for mobile devices, last time I checked. ;)

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Me-

Oh no, why does my browser say my CPU useage is at 22%??!!?!?!?!??!??!?

Oh yeah, im playing minecraft too....

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I met a guy on vacation that told me he could open youtube in 2 seconds because had a macbook pro with an i7 with 12 cores. I didn't even bother to react.

the ignorant should just not talk

I am a Mac user myself, but this video is just so shit, I'm sorry... He recorded it using the built-in webcam in a poorly lit room. Also copied Austin's intro...Terrible... Probably has never used a Windows desktop extensively before.

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Ehhm. That does not make sense. A six core with HT has 6 physical cores, but 12 logical cores, as each core can process two threads simultaneously, or only one at a time.

EDIT: Also which macbook pro has an i7 Extreme...

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

And my step mom NEVER closes IOS apps.

You mean like double tap home and close?

Literally never done that on my iPhone in all the years I had been using iPhones

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

They don't have those for mobile devices, last time I checked. ;)

And the fact that with most modern CPU's there's no real difference in how long a website would take to load. That's all down to the internet connection.

They don't know how though and then they ask me.

Even when 8.1 Update 1 boots to desktop by default?

"The best computers are from Japan." --Friend of mine during Math

"The best computers are from Japan." --Friend of mine during Math

Did you hear that Sony sold/discontinued the VAIO brand?