Experiences with non-techies

They don't make 6-core laptop i7s though afaik

I didn't know that when I posted the reply.

I'm not sure what's worse "this house is full of PC computers" which makes no sense - personal computer computers, really? - or "PC's die too easily". For reference we own an old P4 Gateway from Christmas 2005 and it's still just about alive (on a good day). Heck, I've got my dad's old ZX Spectrum which is still alive - and yes it's the one with the 128k ram expansion

I had a pentium 3 800mhz which was perfectly functional, only got rid of it to free some space last year (I wasn't really using it). A mac from the same time period would have a powerpc architecture, meaning support ended YEARS and years ago and no new programs or os's have come out for it in more than a decade. LOL.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

When ever people use my k70 they rest their fingers on the aluminum :(

I just wipe it with a micro fiber cloth afterward

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Came back from staying overnight at a friends house and of course I brought my computer since he has decent internet and he has a decent computer so we could play games like Payday 2 together.. Well, my parents decided when one of them came to pick me up to take our old 71' Nova.. (454 big block, and if you don't know what it is just Google "1971 Chevy Nova") Me living in Michigan with terrible bumpy roads + a car being super bumpy on roads + a computer = Me about having my GPU snap.. I swear that was the worst idea for them to do ever.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Came back from staying overnight at a friends house and of course I brought my computer since he has decent internet and he has a decent computer so we could play games like Payday 2 together.. Well, my parents decided when one of them came to pick me up to take our old 71' Nova.. (454 big block, and if you don't know what it is just Google "1971 Chevy Nova") Me living in Michigan with terrible bumpy roads + a car being super bumpy on roads + a computer = Me about having my GPU snap.. I swear that was the worst idea for them to do ever.

Bro you're supposed to take your GPU when you move it. I'm sure you knew ahead of time that there were bumpy roads between your house and your friend's, and that the car's suspension wasn't that good. It's really your fault.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 3700x CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) SSD: Samsung 970 Plus 250GB NVME, WD Blue 2TB m.2, Crucial M500 240GB GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW PSU: Seasonic G-Series 550W CASE: Corsair 220T RGB

Bro you're supposed to take your GPU when you move it. I'm sure you knew ahead of time that there were bumpy roads between your house and your friend's, and that the car's suspension wasn't that good. It's really your fault.

I know, but I didn't expect them to bring that car, we really don't live that far from each other. Only about 4 miles...

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I know, but I didn't expect them to bring that car, we really don't live that far from each other. Only about 4 miles...

I had a computer that I built for a friend that I had to transport in a car. I was so worried about the you snapping that I had it on my lap and had the computer on its side.

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

I was googling for a good processor for a gaming rig for a friend of mine and I stumbled across this one. the question was: "What is a good processor speed for gaming?

What is a good processor/CPU to play any game without any lag.

Single or Multiple Core?

What processor speed?

I'm looking for the minimum specifications to play any game so that I can get an idea of what i'm looking for.

Thanks For The Help!"

This was one of the replies: "Personally i find a quad core (ranging from i7 to i8) decent enough. Although my computer was specially customized for gaming. However if getting a new processor is out of the question for you, I recommend an external hardrive that has extra ram. I own a few and they are very versatile and useful for boosting you game speed, FPS, and cpu usage"

I have never facepalmed so bad

I have a lot of experiences with non-techies for example:

1. my aunt can you find me a great budget smartphone, me okay here you go the Moto G, my aunt who makes the smartphone, me Motorola,  my aunt no I don't like it's system and experience I like Samsung more, me it's the same the same as Samsung, my aunt people say that Motorola is no good and Samsung is better, me <face-palm>. And after 30 minutes of argument she still wants a Samsung and I just walk away.
  2. My little brother wants me to get him a PC for roughly 350$ and I suggest to build him a APU build and all my family shout are you stupid how buys desktops laptops are better, Superior and more classy and my brother suggest a laptop that is a piece of shit and I get them a deal on a Gigabyte laptop and they say it's not well known we never heard of it it's no good, me have fun with you're laptop and walk away with my whole family making fun of me.  

sorry for my bad English and punctuation. :D  :D  :D

I have a lot of experiences with non-techies for example:

1. my aunt can you find me a great budget smartphone, me okay here you go the Moto G, my aunt who makes the smartphone, me Motorola,  my aunt no I don't like it's system and experience I like Samsung more, me it's the same the same as Samsung, my aunt people say that Motorola is no good and Samsung is better, me <face-palm>. And after 30 minutes of argument she still wants a Samsung and I just walk away.
  2. My little brother wants me to get him a PC for roughly 350$ and I suggest to build him a APU build and all my family shout are you stupid how buys desktops laptops are better, Superior and more classy and my brother suggest a laptop that is a piece of shit and I get them a deal on a Gigabyte laptop and they say it's not well known we never heard of it it's no good, me have fun with you're laptop and walk away with my whole family making fun of me.  

sorry for my bad English and punctuation. :D  :D  :D

Ugh parents and laptops...they go together too much. My dad and mom wouldn't let me get a desktop and told me to get a laptop, and I finally took them to BestBuy where, surprisingly, the clerk told me the right choice was a desktop. I was surprised because there was a gaming laptop right across the aisle and he could have told me to go buy the laptop. 

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Ugh parents and laptops...they go together too much. My dad and mom wouldn't let me get a desktop and told me to get a laptop, and I finally took them to BestBuy where, surprisingly, the clerk told me the right choice was a desktop. I was surprised because there was a gaming laptop right across the aisle and he could have told me to go buy the laptop.

Not with my dad. He picked the parts for a desktop himself. He didn't build it though, had a local computer shop do it for him.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Not with my dad. He picked the parts for a desktop himself. He didn't build it though, had a local computer shop do it for him.

good for him!

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

good for him!

Indeed. Those we're pretty awesome parts back in 2004. I think he actually overclocked the CPU. It's a shame that he didn't build if himself, I could use some build advice.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

I hate how the news crew are non-techies. They always say HACKER and not CRACKER, the correct term. For fuck's sake, a hacker is a good person! Stop portraying the tech community in a negative light! (I'm looking at you, WLNY-1055.)

I hate how the news crew are non-techies. They always say HACKER and not CRACKER, the correct term. For fuck's sake, a hacker is a good person! Stop portraying the tech community in a negative light! (I'm looking at you, WLNY-1055.)

Well at this point is pointless not to lump hackers and crackers in one happy group because the media has been doing this for so long that the Average Joe thinks that all hackers are bad. The media could at least identify the group of hackers that ey are talking about. (black hat, grey hat, white hat)

Imagine the heat that thing puts out. It's so thick, too.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Oh my fucking god...I could use that to heat my office desk in the winter, just start folding and leave it running plugged in...anybody up for heating while contributing to scientific research?

Oh my fucking god...I could use that to heat my office desk in the winter, just start folding and leave it running plugged in...anybody up for heating while contributing to scientific research?

I could use it to keep the place my computer is in warmer, my CPU already makes a nice heater, even in the winter...

70+C Gaming.... Don't hurt me.

Spoiler

Spoiler

When I was working as a Clerk while serving the Army, being a Techie like myself as well as a Personal Assistant to an annoying Non-Techie Sergeant Major / Warrant Officer was a pain in the butt.

Main Machine: Core i7 2600K, 12GB RAM, GTX 970 SLI, P8P67M-PRO, Fractal Define R3, 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, 2TB WDC Green, Windows 10    Laptop: MBP 13" Retina 2014 Haswell: 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, OS X El Capitan

Piano Recording Rig: Compaq HP 6200 SFF Core i3 2100, 4GB RAM, 750GB HDD, Zotac GTX 750 Low Profile OC, Windows 7 Pro

Available Spare Parts: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD

I saw a review of it and when they benchmarked the version with the 3280 in it, it only hit 69 degrees on one core while maxed out. I saw a version of it (from Eurocom) with a fucking Xeon E5-2697 v2. That behemoth is called a "mobile server/workstation." 

Le laptop: http://www.eurocom.com/ec/configure(1,224,0)ec

Le video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEksgMRWURI#t=594

Just found this online, and I still cant stop laughing:

Actual dialogue of a former WordPerfect Customer Support employee with a caller:

Customer Support: "Ridge Hall computer assistant; may I help you?"

Caller: "Yes, well, I'm having trouble with WordPerfect."

CS: "What sort of trouble?"

C: "Well, I was just typing along, and all of a sudden the words went away."

CS: "Went away?"

C: "They disappeared."

CS: "Hmm. So what does your screen look like now?"

C: "Nothing."

CS: "Nothing?"

C: "It's blank; it won't accept anything when I type."

CS: "Are you still in WordPerfect, or did you get out?"

C: "How do I tell?"

CS: "Can you see the C:\ prompt on the screen?"

C: "What's a sea-prompt?"

CS: "Never mind. Can you move the cursor around on the screen?"

C: "There isn't any cursor, I told you, it won't accept anything I type."

CS: "Does your monitor have a power indicator?"

C: "What's a monitor?"

CS: "It's the thing with the screen on it that looks like a TV. Does it have a little light that tells you when it's on?"

C: "I don't know."

CS: "Well, then look on the back of the monitor and find where the power cord goes into it. Can you see that?"

C: "Yes, I think so."

CS: "Great. Follow the cord to the plug, and tell me if it's plugged into the wall."

C: ".......Yes, it is."

CS: "When you were behind the monitor, did you notice that there were two cables plugged into the back of it, not just one?"

C: "No."

CS: "Well, there are. I need you to look back there again and find the other cable."

C: ".......Okay, here it is."

CS: "Follow it for me, and tell me if it's plugged securely into the back of your computer."

"I can't reach."

CS: "Uh huh. Well, can you see if it is?"

CS: "Even if you maybe put your knee on something and lean way over?"

C: "Oh, it's not because I don't have the right angle - it's because it's dark."

CS: "Dark?"

C: "Yes - the office light is off, and the only light I have is coming in from the window."

CS: "Well, turn on the office light then."

C: "I can't."

CS: "No? Why not?"

C: "Because there's a power outage."

CS: "A power... A power outage? Ah, Okay, we've got it licked now. Do you still have the boxes and manuals and packing stuff your computer came in?"

C: "Well, yes, I keep them in the closet."

CS: "Good. Go get them, and unplug your system and pack it up just like it was when you got it. Then take it back to the store you bought it from."

C: "Really? Is it that bad?"

CS: "Yes, I'm afraid it is."

C: "Well, all right then, I suppose. What do I tell them?"

CS: "Tell them you're too stupid to own a computer."

Specs: 

Spoiler

PC:CASE: FD Define r6 | CPU:Intel Core i7-8700k | MB: MSI z370 PC Pro RAM: 32GB Corsair vengance LPX 3000 GPU: Asus rx 6900xt Tuf STORAGE: nand 500GB Samsung 970Evo plus ; Game Storage: 2TB Samsung 860QVO Storage: 2 x WD Green 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | CPUCooler: Noctua NH-D15   DISPLAY: LG 27GL850

Just found this online, and I still cant stop laughing:

Actual dialogue of a former WordPerfect Customer Support employee with a caller:

Customer Support: "Ridge Hall computer assistant; may I help you?"

Caller: "Yes, well, I'm having trouble with WordPerfect."

CS: "What sort of trouble?"

C: "Well, I was just typing along, and all of a sudden the words went away."

CS: "Went away?"

C: "They disappeared."

CS: "Hmm. So what does your screen look like now?"

C: "Nothing."

CS: "Nothing?"

C: "It's blank; it won't accept anything when I type."

CS: "Are you still in WordPerfect, or did you get out?"

C: "How do I tell?"

CS: "Can you see the C:\ prompt on the screen?"

C: "What's a sea-prompt?"

CS: "Never mind. Can you move the cursor around on the screen?"

C: "There isn't any cursor, I told you, it won't accept anything I type."

CS: "Does your monitor have a power indicator?"

C: "What's a monitor?"

CS: "It's the thing with the screen on it that looks like a TV. Does it have a little light that tells you when it's on?"

C: "I don't know."

CS: "Well, then look on the back of the monitor and find where the power cord goes into it. Can you see that?"

C: "Yes, I think so."

CS: "Great. Follow the cord to the plug, and tell me if it's plugged into the wall."

C: ".......Yes, it is."

CS: "When you were behind the monitor, did you notice that there were two cables plugged into the back of it, not just one?"

CS: "Well, there are. I need you to look back there again and find the other cable."

C: ".......Okay, here it is."

CS: "Follow it for me, and tell me if it's plugged securely into the back of your computer."

"I can't reach."

CS: "Uh huh. Well, can you see if it is?"

CS: "Even if you maybe put your knee on something and lean way over?"

C: "Oh, it's not because I don't have the right angle - it's because it's dark."

CS: "Dark?"

C: "Yes - the office light is off, and the only light I have is coming in from the window."

CS: "Well, turn on the office light then."

C: "I can't."

CS: "No? Why not?"

C: "Because there's a power outage."

CS: "A power... A power outage? Ah, Okay, we've got it licked now. Do you still have the boxes and manuals and packing stuff your computer came in?"

C: "Well, yes, I keep them in the closet."

CS: "Good. Go get them, and unplug your system and pack it up just like it was when you got it. Then take it back to the store you bought it from."

C: "Really? Is it that bad?"

CS: "Yes, I'm afraid it is."

C: "Well, all right then, I suppose. What do I tell them?"

CS: "Tell them you're too stupid to own a computer."

GG

so this one time I was hanging out with my friend who is the manager at a tech shop by where I live and a girl comes in and buys a 2tb hard drive. we let her know that we install hard drives for $1 (the cost of the sata cable we use) and she says "just because I am a woman does not mean I cant work on computers" and leaves in a huff. two days later she comes back in saying that the HDD is not working so we take the computer in to look at it, we open it and the HDD is nowhere to be seen, so we ask her where it is. and it turns out that she scanned it and put the scanned image on her desktop to install the drive. and to top that off she threw away the drive she paid almost $200 for and she wanted us to give her a new one.

I laughed so hard :D