Experiences with non-techies

You can get a gameboy emulator on PCs now-a-days.

Still doesn't beat the feel of the real thing

Heck there's even emulators for android all the way until Gameboy advanced (or up to Nintendo DS if I'm correct?)

I may have missed your point, but what I meant in my previous post; she's a little bit stuck in the past tech wise (well, the rest of my family is technologocigally in the past, excluding me): As I said before, she (my mother) only plays Windows XP version of the solitare, she and my little sister both have massive CRT TVs while I have the only flatscreen TV (also the only TV in the house that pushes past 576i resolution), their current laptops (now my little sister is using my mother's more modern laptop as well, because she broke her own laptop's charger by an "accident") are from Windows Vista -era (can it even be called that?)... I guess being in a poor family is enough to get behind in terms of modern tech quite fast (heck even our other household electronics like fridge, toaster, microwave oven etc. are from late 90's or early 2000's).

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

A kid at summer school said this:

The fact that you put that into a quote made it 10x funnier.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

guise i am w0ndering if dis kan run bf4 @ solid 200 fps:

CPU: AMD 2650 1.45Ghz Dual-Core Processor ($31.00 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: Biostar AM1ML Micro ATX AM1 Motherboard ($31.98 @ OutletPC)

Memory: Crucial 1GB (1 x 1GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($15.16 @ Mwave)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 80GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($22.99 @ Amazon)

Case: Cardboard box ($0.99 @ Local dumpster)

Power Supply: Diablotek 350W ATX Power Supply ($10.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $113.11

thx

This is the top comment on Linus' latest video about Handy Tech Under $100 Episode 4

He should not be allowed to reproduce...

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

He may be saying that he has a 6 core I7 Extreme Edition with Hyper Threading so you could have 6 theoretical cores and 6 physical cores.

Yummy, hyperthreading doesn't change the amount of cores the CPU has, it's just a more efficient way to manage data so the CPU isn't idling, watch linus' video on this

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Heck there's even emulators for android all the way until Gameboy advanced (or up to Nintendo DS if I'm correct?)

I may have missed your point, but what I meant in my previous post; she's a little bit stuck in the past tech wise (well, the rest of my family is technologocigally in the past, excluding me): As I said before, she (my mother) only plays Windows XP version of the solitare, she and my little sister both have massive CRT TVs while I have the only flatscreen TV (also the only TV in the house that pushes past 576i resolution), their current laptops (now my little sister is using my mother's more modern laptop as well, because she broke her own laptop's charger by an "accident") are from Windows Vista -era (can it even be called that?)... I guess being in a poor family is enough to get behind in terms of modern tech quite fast (heck even our other household electronics like fridge, toaster, microwave oven etc. are from late 90's or early 2000's).

Nothing wrong with appliances from the late 90s and early 2000s. Most of our stuff fits into that category and honestly it works quite well. The newest thing is our freezer because the old one stopped freezing things (it was mid 80s I think so really needed replacing)

In my experience, PC users are generally more tech illiterate and arrogant compared to Mac users at my school. Funnily, Mac users at my school seem to be more open-minded, whilst the PC users can't differentiate between a monitor and computer...

Also, you guys are super desensitized to tech. Where I live in the UAE, people think you should be working in the CIA if you know what an Operating System is.

I only ever chill on this page: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34813-experiences-with-non-techies/

If you ever spot me anywhere else, you've earned yourself an imaginary cookie  B)

A kid at summer school said this:

I almost feel bad for him but after what he said I don't.

I have an Intel HD 3000 and I could easily afford a gaming PC but my parents won't let me get one )';

Damn them, I can easily afford a $800 one with the $2700 I have in the bank right now.

My ex girlfriend bought a Mac.

Okay. And?

I only ever chill on this page: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34813-experiences-with-non-techies/

If you ever spot me anywhere else, you've earned yourself an imaginary cookie  B)

heck even our other household electronics like fridge, toaster, microwave oven etc. are from late 90's or early 2000's).

Gulp!  I have T-shirts older than that

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Yummy, hyperthreading doesn't change the amount of cores the CPU has, it's just a more efficient way to manage data so the CPU isn't idling, watch linus' video on this

I'm aware of that but we don't know that person who said that is so maybe in his mind had 12 cores due to hyperthreading.

[Please note this was all in Chinese  ;) ]

Grandma: Is it running low on battery? *hands me grandpa's flip phone*

Me: Yes. I'll charge it for you.

Grandma: You can't charge it here!

Me: *takes phone*

Me: *pugs into mini-USB cable*

Grandma: MIND=BLOWN

I have an outlet in my kitchen that has a single 120V port, 1.0 amp USB, and a 2.1 amp USB. BEST THING EVER.

My brother's friend tried to set up a GMod server on his computer, so he called my brother (who has set up a minecraft server) and asked him for help setting it up. 15 minutes later, we had given him a static IP, figured out the IP, username and password of the web interface of his router, and were about to help him forward the required ports when he decided that he was scared that it would break his internet and he didn't want to go through with it. 15 minutes of my time wasted because at the last minute he decided that he didn't want this server after all in case it broke his computer.

Hey, hope you don't mind me asking but can you show me how to set up a gmod server? I couldn't find any tutorials for gmod 13. Also port forwarding scars me shitless....

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

Hey, hope you don't mind me asking but can you show me how to set up a gmod server? I couldn't find any tutorials for gmod 13. Also port forwarding scars me shitlessI

I don't know actually, it was just the port forwarding that I helped with. Sorry :unsure:

HTTP/2 203

Hey, hope you don't mind me asking but can you show me how to set up a gmod server? I couldn't find any tutorials for gmod 13. Also port forwarding scars me shitless....

Port Forwarding is easy doe.

Port Forwarding is easy doe.

Ok I'm afraid of screwing something up and getting banned from using the wifi by my dad.

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

My mom just came asking me where one of her iOS apps disappeared to. Turns out she accidentally moved one into another one creating a folder :mellow: Furthermore she was asking me to revert it to what it was... As if I knew how her apps were organized before she messed it up. Sometimes I wish I wasn't tech competent.

A kid in summer school:

"I'm going to ask my friend to hack the school website to get the answer key."

Everything at the school is stored on-site on the computers.

A kid in summer school:

"I'm going to ask my friend to hack the school website to get the answer key."

Everything at the school is stored on-site on the computers.

Than how about you crack the computers to get the answer key?

I was arguing with somebody about windows tablets (in youtube comments) this is the exact conversation (I am 1, he is 2, another random person is 3) The video was about a terrible android aio :

2 No OS is the best microsoft for example best pc imo worst tablet

1 first, microsoft is the company that makes windows, windows is the os. second, windows is pretty good for 10"+ tablets

2 It really isnt, os and andriod is better

1 how do you know? do you have one of all three? because I do. (the Ipad isn't mine, but I have used it quite a bit)

2 Look at sales..........

1 sales do not mean quality, just look at apple and samsung.

2 Sales do mean quality in respect to price. It shows what devices are best for what price

1 nope, some people just buy from the same company every time, and some people buy one that looks cool. Fore example: the htc one is better than the galaxy s5 (for most things) but the s5 is selling more.

2 But this is a small margin when you look at larger margins such as the windows tab and the ipad it is obviously what one is better because one is selling sooooo much more.

1 Have you even used a windows tablet? because I assume you haven't. Also, do you spend time learning about computers? because this sounds like its your first time

3 Not quite, people love to stick to what is familiar to then.

Exactly because they know they can trust it

that doesn't mean they shouldn't trust windows. your argument started failing from the first post, so just stop now.

It's not failing you just want me to turn down because you are losing. How you thing windows is the best for everything is beyond me

How can you not trust something you never tryed?

Also i see many people with phones who failue in the first week and still stick to Samsung (they shouldnt trust if it failued).

Firstly it is tried, and secondly I have used a windows tablet and there are many better experiences such as android and IOS as proven with sales figures

Stop saying sales mean one is better! That is total bullshit and if you think it isn't, than you have a mental problem.

Wow u mad bro, what do sales mean then? More sales means a product is bought by a lot of people and this can only hint at one thing it is good

3 Define tablet experience please

Wow ask a open question because your losing an argument I didn't bring this topic up so you answer it.

sales mean good marketing mostly, quality isn't that important for sales. windows isn't perfect, but it is good for desktops to tablets, anything below that would be fine with windows phone.

there were a few comments i left out where I was gone and they didn't say anything useful.

-snip-

This is the link for those who were wondering: 

Also, i read the argument in comments and am tempted re-ignite it

Few years ago I argued with a very non-techie friend who just doesn't want to admit that he has lost an argument. He had a PS3 and he asked if I had a Forza 4, so I asked have you recently bought an Xbox 360, he replied no and why would he? Explained him that Forza is only Xbox exclusive, and he said that yeah... there definitely is one for PS3 somewhere in USA (We live in Europe). I just facepalmed after that.

Once a friend asked where is his Intel HD Graphics card on his PC and he couldn't find it and wants to replace it with another card. Facepalm time again.

Ok I'm afraid of screwing something up and getting banned from using the wifi by my dad.

You can't really screw much, if anything, up

"This HDMI cable features a Dielectric-Bias System that reduces distortion and 100% Perfect-Surface Silver conductors for improved signal clarity. The Direct-Silver-plated HDMI connectors provide a simple connection and durability."

You really can't put a price on quality like that.  If anything, this is a steal.

Wait, I'll quote one of the user reviews, it's hilarious xD might be a troll though

I've recently been wanting to upgrade my current TV setup to this new "HD" technology I've been hearing about. I'm quite happy with my current TV setup as it was less than 10 years old. So I decided to upgrade my connections to "HDMI" using this so-called superior cable. I got two of them because I needed at least 5 feet from my TV to my tape player. The first problem I had was joining the two cables together. No matter how hard I tried they wouldn't fit together. So I ended up moving the TV closer to the tape player so I could end up using one cable.

When I go to connect the cable to my TV I tired every connection and every angle but this cable wouldn't fit. I tried with both cables with the same result.
I called my TV manufacturer to see if I'm missing something and was advised I need to purchase A BRAND NEW TV because my model doesn't have that connection. Same deal for my tape player, except they don't make one for this connection.
It's like saying "these tires make your car go 300mph but oh they only fit on a BUGATTI and not on your toyota prius.
I went to best buy upset and wanted my money back but was refused but there appeared to be negligent damage to the cable ends and that they have never seen this happen. I explained this happend when I was tried to get the cable to fit into my TV and tape box but they wouldn't hear it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Wait, I'll quote one of the user reviews, it's hilarious xD might be a troll though

hahahaha wow :') This must be a troll

He may be saying that he has a 6 core I7 Extreme Edition with Hyper Threading so you could have 6 theoretical cores and 6 physical cores.

They don't make 6-core laptop i7s though afaik

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*