Experiences with non-techies

Even when 8.1 Update 1 boots to desktop by default?

Not right away but one of them will click the start button then freak out when the entire look changes.

"Of course, its trash," Luke, 2014

"hackers" (should be crackers!!!) are "hacking" the computer. 

To be fair to your dad. When groups are going around calling themselves hacktivists and hackers when they aren't white/grey they a making a mess of the terminology for common folk.

The media doesn't help either.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I just remembered that when I was 12 I used to play GTA Vice City with my friends at school. We managed to install the game (a pirate version) in the computers of the library. Then there was one of my friends who wanted to get the game into his usb, the game was about 1gb, so instead of copying the whole folder, only passed the game's shortcut into his usb. 

The next day, he came and said, "the game doesn't work".

I just remembered that when I was 12 I used to play GTA Vice City with my friends at school. We managed to install the game (a pirate version) in the computers of the library. Then there was one of my friends who wanted to get the game into his usb, the game was about 1gb, so instead of copying the whole folder, only passed the game's shortcut into his usb. 

The next day, he came and said, "the game doesn't work".

Yep, same thing happened to my friend too except it was a different game that I cannot recall. It was a game similar to Mario.. About 10-12 years from now.

I used to have a friend who would get to me install computer programs for her because she didn't know how.

Me too, actually I have a lot of friends who do the same

"This HDMI cable features a Dielectric-Bias System that reduces distortion and 100% Perfect-Surface Silver conductors for improved signal clarity. The Direct-Silver-plated HDMI connectors provide a simple connection and durability."

You really can't put a price on quality like that.  If anything, this is a steal.

Me: "I got a 21:9 monitor"

Friend: "cool, is that like uhd?"

Me: "no, it's widescreen HD. 2560x1080"

Friend: "cool, but you'll need like a titan to run it Lol!"

First up, he thought 21:9=uhd. Second,he still believes titan is the most powerful card.

Thirdly, he thinks that a Gtx 760 would need all games set to low to play anything at decent fps at that resolution.

Oh well, looks like I'll have to turn down my 2560x1440 ogssaa mid-high settings to play all my games now Eh?

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

I installed my old rig (HP Compaq dc7600 running Ubuntu 14.04 (plus with added Radeon HD 4350 GPU)) for my mother to use in the living room where her loud and really slow Windows XP laptop used to be, she doesn't have much issues doing basic web browsing. Today I found her using her old laptop once again because of, get this: it has solitare on it. Yes, she plays solitare shipped with Windows XP in 2014... She doesn't play other games, even though she's using a Lumia 625 as her phone and acknowledges the existence of some mobile games. I told her there's solitare available for Ubuntu too, no. She wants to play the XP version of it.

I don't know what to say...

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

My brother's friend tried to set up a GMod server on his computer, so he called my brother (who has set up a minecraft server) and asked him for help setting it up. 15 minutes later, we had given him a static IP, figured out the IP, username and password of the web interface of his router, and were about to help him forward the required ports when he decided that he was scared that it would break his internet and he didn't want to go through with it. 15 minutes of my time wasted because at the last minute he decided that he didn't want this server after all in case it broke his computer.

HTTP/2 203

15 minutes of my time wasted because at the last minute he decided that he didn't want this server after all in case it broke his computer.

Wow! A whole 15 minutes.

Senses of perspective are availlable from over there ->

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Wow! A whole 15 minutes.

Senses of perspective are availlable from over there ->

Sure, 15 minutes isn't much, but it's 15 minutes that I could have (and would have) spent doing other useful stuff, rather than wasting my time trying to help somebody that eventually decided that they didn't want help. For free. But the main point is that he spent 15 minutes setting it up, only to decide that he was scared that it would break his computer/internet, and that he didn't want to do it after all.

HTTP/2 203

This video is pretty hilarious.

EDIT: And this one is pretty bad too.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Spent an hour teaching my neighbour how to use the 700 dollar printer he bought... 

Corsair C70|i7 3930K|Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600Mhz|Asrock x79 Extreme6|Samsung SSD 256GB|WD Green 3TB|Corsair H100i|Corsair TX750m |GTX 780 Palit Super JetStream (review here https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/54814-palit-gtx780-superjetstream-review/ )  -_-|

STILL LEARNING ENGLISH  :P  :P  :P

-snip-

Lel, kids in my school think the same thing...VRAM does not stack.

EDIT: Have you seen this thread?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/178699-will-this-pc-be-able-to-run-minesweeper/

OP says:

Hi, I want this pc to run Minesweeper and Super Mario Bros NES at the lowest settings at 144p, as I know you need a pretty good pc for 480p medium. Thanks.

http://uk.pcpartpick...id/saved/HcbCmG 

This video is pretty hilarious.

EDIT: And this one is pretty bad too.

Dat coowler-MAAAARRSTER doe :P

And I'm surprised that fan doesn't shred itself to pieces at 5200rpm. I've got the stock cooler for my 8320 (saving up for a noctua) and I won't let it go past 3000 - it's way to loud

Sure, 15 minutes isn't much,

You said a mouthfull.

"This too shall pass"

You said a mouthfull.

Well he did waste my time, although the main point of the post was to highlight my experience with a non techie who only decided that what he was doing was scary and could harm his computer/internet (despite my and my brother's assurances that it wouldn't) after he had changed most of the relevant settings. And would you rather spend 15 minutes doing something interesting or 15 minutes achieving nothing with a non-techie?

HTTP/2 203

it's 15 minutes that I could have (and would have) spent doing other useful stuff, rather than wasting my time

You will spend a lot of time in your life in fruitless/neverending/useless,,, endeavours, do not let the waste of 15 minutes affect you (you'll be less stressed, will live longer etc.).

Running a server may be nothing/trivial to you but it obviously freaked this guy out.

would you rather spend 15 minutes doing something interesting or 15 minutes achieving nothing with a non-techie?

Obviously something interesting. But if I had to spend 15 minutes and not do anything, I wouldn't get so 'het-up' about it.

My original post was a bit of a non-significant post, but seriously don't 'sweat the small stuff'.

"This too shall pass"

I just remembered that a friend of mine wanted to buy a new laptop (Toshiba brand), so i recommended one with a dedicated GPU, it was S/.2199 approximately 780US$ for mild gaming and work.

Instead of buying the one I recommended, he bought a cheaper one about $600.

So when I was in school, he brought his brand new laptop. 

He: I've got a new laptop

Me: Ok. Can I see it?

He: It is better than yours.

Me: seriously... (my laptop has i7 and a gt650m, 120gb ssd, 1tb hdd.) Tell me the specs?

He: core i5, 1tb HDD, 8gb ram

Me: gpu?

He: super intel hd4000, I can run all games in ULTRA

Me... sure...(no comments) 

2024-extreme-facepalm.jpg

PD: sometimes he is still bragging that his laptop is way better than mine.

Dat coowler-MAAAARRSTER doe :P

And I'm surprised that fan doesn't shred itself to pieces at 5200rpm. I've got the stock cooler for my 8320 (saving up for a noctua) and I won't let it go past 3000 - it's way to loud

mine got to 6000 gaming...

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I installed my old rig (HP Compaq dc7600 running Ubuntu 14.04 (plus with added Radeon HD 4350 GPU)) for my mother to use in the living room where her loud and really slow Windows XP laptop used to be, she doesn't have much issues doing basic web browsing. Today I found her using her old laptop once again because of, get this: it has solitare on it. Yes, she plays solitare shipped with Windows XP in 2014... She doesn't play other games, even though she's using a Lumia 625 as her phone and acknowledges the existence of some mobile games. I told her there's solitare available for Ubuntu too, no. She wants to play the XP version of it.

I don't know what to say...

You can get a gameboy emulator on PCs now-a-days.

Still doesn't beat the feel of the real thing

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO