Experiences with non-techies

And who would use a freaking HDMI cable for audio???

EDIT: And pay a grand for it

Well every HDMI compatible device in my basement uses it for audio due to the convenience.

This rather strikes me as the same sort of thing as typing 'should of' when it should be 'should have'. Complain and all you will get is a reply saying as long as you understood it's fine and English is an evolving language (if you don't get the classic "GRAMMAR NAZI" or FOAD ). No matter how ignorant or wrong it appears to those who know better if a lot (not necessarily a majority) accept it then it is 'fair enough'.

These people are just referring to the 'pragmatics' of what's being said - and as long as it gets across the meaning then it's done its job, however badly it may have done that. I hate when people clearly can't spell or use correct grammar, but for those times it's either an accident or was deliberately done for effect I am completely fine with it.

My dad refuses to buy a Genuine Windows licence just because he doesn't want to give any money towards Microsoft.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Well, I have 2 Windows machines and then a Macbook Pro.

I have osx running in virtualbox but I don't like the whole idea they have beautiful and expensive hardware I don't know maybe I just think that they are overpriced and that's why I don't like them

as long as it gets across the meaning then it's done its job, however badly it may have done that. <snip> I am completely fine with it.

Even if it takes the reader longer to work it out, and may well 'grate' on the reader?

Is it not arrogance of the first water to 'say' "grammar and spelling don't matter to me it is up to everyoe else to figure out what I mean"?

Stylistic choices e.g. Three S's or scare quotes V double inverted commas are a personal choice but out and out using the wrong word...

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Even if it takes the reader longer to work it out, and may well 'grate' on the reader?

Is it not arrogance of the first water to 'say' "grammar and spelling don't matter to me it is up to everyoe else to figure out what I mean"?

Stylistic choices e.g. Three S's or scare quotes V double inverted commas are a personal choice but out and out using the wrong word...

I think either I didn't explain well, or you didn't understand. I don't like it when people use bad grammar; I'm just saying that if it gets the message across then it has done its job. It may be ineffective and wrong, though. I'm taking English Language A level, so I do care about correct use of language. That said, we do get taught about pragmatics of language. An example of bad grammar for effect would be lolcats.

To put it clearly, when people use the wrong 'your' it hurts me inside, but in most cases I still understand the pragmatics of what they wrote

Triple post :/

Triple post :/

My phone had a fit and couldn't connect to the forum but still posted multiple times

My dad refuses to buy a Genuine Windows licence just because he doesn't want to give any money towards Microsoft.

good for him!

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

Tell him to use Linux, if he will just do office work and web browsing it is fine. If it is for you then you need to convince him somehow.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

I. An example of bad grammar for effect would be lolcats.

LOLCats-lol-cats-11.jpg

:D

"This too shall pass"

To put it clearly, when people use the wrong 'GRAMMAR/SPELLING'it hurts me inside,

I have stopped commenting (most of the time) on grammar 'mistakes': life is too short to get worked up about others wilfull (in most cases) ignorance.

I am fed up with being told I am a  grammar nazi, English is an evolving language, if it gets the meaning across... , FOAD etc.

"This too shall pass"

Tell him to use Linux, if he will just do office work and web browsing it is fine. If it is for you then you need to convince him somehow.

He's actually planning to move to Linux Mint and is waiting for that laptop to break down (it's 7 years old) so he can buy a new one. I've tried convicing him to buy it, but he just won't buy it. Home Premium licences are only about 80 euros here and there are some places that sell Ultimate retail keys for only $17.

LOLCats-lol-cats-11.jpg

:D

Should get back OT, but that would be a special technique (begins with C, i think, but I forgot the name) where the expected form is replaced with the opposite often as a form of irony. The attempted archaic language would also allude to that meme with the French dude (Joseph someone?)

I would search stuff up but I'm on phone

My dad aswell. He calls me an idiot for doing it, after using a mac for 12 years

I posted this as its own thread because i wasn't thinking of this one. This also includes some clarifications.

My sister has been shopping for a laptop for over six months now. At one point she asked me for help, so i spent hours finding great options for her. Last night i found out she had seen a laptop and just gotten it without even telling me. The laptop she got was around the same price as the one i recommended, but it had no gpu, the cpu is half as fast (slightly slower cores and half as many), and it has no backlit keyboard or touchscreen. She will be using it for pretty intensive work, so she really needed those specs. Its not like its way better looking or more portable, its half a pound lighter and has no metal, so it looks way worse. The only reason she gave was that asus has a terrible warranty (which i am pretty sure is false).

The laptop i said was the asus n550jk, she got the lenovo z50. she said it was the same price when she included a warranty, so idk what exact model it was, but it is worse speced.

My dad aswell. He calls me an idiot for doing it, after using a mac for 12 years

He doesn't call me an idiot, however he sometimes asks why do I buy stuff nicely & legally. Probably because he taught me to become a pirate like him. Most of my stuff (including Windows) is legal.

guise i am w0ndering if dis kan run bf4 @ solid 200 fps:

CPU: AMD 2650 1.45Ghz Dual-Core Processor ($31.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Biostar AM1ML Micro ATX AM1 Motherboard ($31.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Crucial 1GB (1 x 1GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($15.16 @ Mwave)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 80GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($22.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cardboard box ($0.99 @ Local dumpster)
Power Supply: Diablotek 350W ATX Power Supply ($10.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $113.11

thx

This is the top comment on Linus' latest video about Handy Tech Under $100 Episode 4

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 80GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($22.99 @ Amazon)

thx

This is the top comment on Linus' latest video about Handy Tech Under $100 Episode 4

I saw it on that video, but it's obviously a troll. Why it got so many upvotes, I don't know, but there's no way that it's serious.

it's

which gives it away

HTTP/2 203

thx

At least the parts are compatible and yeah it's an obvious troll.