Experiences with non-techies

Yeah, geek roleplay is fun.

So much fun. 

OT: Today in Bio, two nontechie people were talking about computers. (naturally they were heavily apple biased) i proceeded to join the conversation and tell them that no your friends computer does not have 5TB of memory, it is 5TB of storage (odd number) and no, macs are not impervious to viruses. Then another kid joined in and started ranting about how bad Macs are. Now, I am a person who is happy to use both Macs or PCs although I prefer to have a PC as my main computer, and I am willing to intelligently defend both. This person went full bullshit mode. They claimed that Macs are bulky, slow, 3x as much as PCs for the same specs, super hard to use,  unreliable and poorly built. I then went over to the dark side for a bit and actually put my self with the Mac people. I tried to explain that they can be well priced (compared to some ultrabooks) and are in fact fast, easy to use, and have amazing build quality but still have flaws. The kid would not have any of it. He proceeded to use Dell (that's right, fucking DELL) as a better alternative to macs, and claimed that for under $800, you could get a Dell Laptop that is better than a $2000 Mac laptop. It is one thing to compare PCs that are maybe 15-25% less expensive than the equivalent mac, but a whole $1200+ difference? No, that is bull shit. He then claimed that you can't get word on a Mac and that they are absolutely shit and anything productive. Yes, I would ALWAYS take a PC over a mac when it comes to work, but his claim is just not true.

Personally, I hate uninformed and blind Apple hate as much as I hate uninformed and blind PC hate.

[Reference to people who accept any offer online, no matter how ridiculous then ask me to fix their stuff just to have problems next month] I want to help people, but it's haaard. #FirstworldProblems

[Reference to people who accept any offer online, no matter how ridiculous then ask me to fix their stuff just to have problems next month] I want to help people, but it's haaard. #FirstworldProblems

I know your feels, and then you fix it and two months later get a call from a relative with them yelling at you that you broke it

Or you become free tech support forever :/

CPU: i5-3570K Cooler: Hyper 212 Plus MB: MSI Z77MA-G45 Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM GPU: PNY GeForce GTX 770 4GB Case: Rosewill Challenger-U3 ATX PSU: Rosewill Hive 650W OS: Windows 7 Pro 64bit Monitor: ViewSonic VX2370Smh-LED Keyboard: Some Dell Keyboard Mouse: Logitech G500 Headphones: Logitech G930

One of my mum's friends recently wanted me to get flash to work. After getting it to work she asked me if there was a way to fix the ads on everything. I ran malware bytes. a few hundred/thousand within 5 minutes of running.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

So a professor was using his iPhone to change slides

Girl :I can't believe there our college has such great technology iphone !!!it can change slides so amazing apple is really.

Me: ummm... Even a cheap android could do that. Hell we had these cheap air mouse with laser no big deal.

Girl:*ignores*

Me:*fine duck off*

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013).

I know your feels, and then you fix it and two months later get a call from a relative with them yelling at you that you broke it

Or you become free tech support forever :/

This happens, whenever I fix something for someone for free. A few weeks later, heck a month later they be all like "Remember when you fixed my laptop from shutting down all the time, I think you broke it because now my programs just delete itself".

Or when someone asks me why the internet is slow. I go to explain it, it is as if I put them into a deep sleep of no return.

My friend managed to set the .lnk file association to open with PowerPoint (lnk is a shortcut) so running programs was pretty hard (if anyone knows how to fix it, I would love to know). He also lost his GCSE DT folder on hand in day, so the teacher was less than happy (with no trace, even to deleted file recovery programs). He blames his antivirus, which has no entry into add/remove programs and no apparent processes running (it came preinstalled on his refurbished laptop). The laptop is full of bloatware.

HTTP/2 203

I used to work at a computer shop for IT support and service. Whenever something is wrong with the machine, they'll always ask if it's a virus or not. If the shortcut on the desktop is gone, they would think all of their data on the computer are gone.

My mum isn't non-techy but she just double clicks on EVERYTHING she wants to open. That includes links and buttons on the web browser. She would double click on the Google searches to open them too and I got really annoyed watching her using the computer at some point of my life.

I have another one but it's not really non-techies. My friend is a photographer but not much of a computer guy so he bought a netbook(yes, those 10-inches) and brought it to college. Apparently he actually used that netbook to edit photo and do his work. I remember him posting a comment which he thinks tiny computer are less powerful(true to some extent).

My mom does the same thing. That double clicking drives me crazy.

Current Rig:

Case: CM Storm Mid Tower | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V CPU: Intel i7 (1155) 2600k @ 3.4GHz | Ram: Ballistix Tracer DDR3 4x4GB GPU:  XFX HD Radeon XXX DD 6870 | Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX  | Power Suply: OCZ 1000W  |  Boot Drive: 2 x WD Raptors 300GB in Raid 0 | Storage: Samsung SpinPoint T3 1TB | OS: Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit 

Project Zero (In Progress)

Case: Silverstone TJ07 I Motherboard: MSI z87-G45 Gaming | CPU: Intel i5-4570k | Ram: Ballistix Tracer DDR3 4x4GB GPU: 2X MSI R9 290X 4GB (x-fire) Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX Power Supply: Corsair RM 850W | Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | Cooling: Custom loop (cpu+gpu's)

#killedmywife

Today:

"Didn't Linux make OpenOffice?"

I didn't even facepalm. I put my head down on my desk and cried.

Please move to a different pin. For the love of FPU's. (okay, okay. I'll stop now).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

People think your an absolute rocket scientist if they find out you built a computer.

OMFG!!!! MY SENTIMENTS EXACTLY!!!!!

I've never done a rig but I have been next to people when talking about it and that response sends me up the wall.

- When I was 7 or 8 it was still a time when nobody knew anything about computers, so I found out I could change simple things (delete shortcuts, change browser homepage, etc.) and people would beg me to fix it like I just put a voodoo curse on the computer. It was amazing.

- My mom still has her old Mac Pro from the 90's that doesn't even boot up because she says it's "perfectly fine."

- She once offered to lend me the less than standard definition monitor that came with it, but ONLY if I was very careful with it as it's very expensive. I laughed so hard I nearly died.

- I one finished explaining how much more powerful the PC I wanted to build was than out mid 2010 iMac with an i3 and 20$ GPU we had (and still have). But I couldn't convince her. She finally conceded that "PC's are more powerful, but Macs are faster." I then went and died in a hole.

- Everyone in my family swears that Macs are more durable, even though no one in the family has ever owned a Mac that's functioned properly for more than a week.

- Even if I can prove that it wasn't me that broke a computer, and it was something that somebody else did, everyone always that I somehow broke it by breaking the suspension of disbelief. I'm pretty sure my family thinks that computers work on the same principle as Wiley Coyote running in mid-air off a cliff.

- My dad still maintains that PC's get viruses constantly, even though the last time I saw him using one was from a perspective 3 feet lower to the ground.

- No matter what I say, I don't think anyone's ever shut off a computer in the house but me.

- I once accidentally deleted some system files, and instead of letting me repair the install, my mom lugged the iMac to the apple store, waited 2 hours, and then they repaired the install.

- My mom refuses to buy things for me on steam, if she ever gets me a game, we have to drive down to game-stop.

- If someone in the house is doing something stupid tech-related, they get furious at me for trying to correct them, but afterwards I'm always the one who they call upon to fix it, and then get mad at me for not fixing it.

- Everyone in my family is convinced the more storage you have the faster your computer is

- People in my family treat computers like a religion. If I try and say anything contradictory to what they think I'm labeled a "heathen"

- "some salty pretzel bun fanboy" ~ @helping, 2014
- "Oh shit, watch out guys, we got a hopscotch bassass here..." ~ @vinyldash303

- "Yes the 8990 is more fater than the 4820K and as you can see this specific Video card comes with 6GB" ~ Alienware 2014

OMFG!!!! MY SENTIMENTS EXACTLY!!!!!

I've never done a rig but I have been next to people when talking about it and that response sends me up the wall.

Mkes me feel good though :D

People think your an absolute rocket scientist if they find out you built a computer.

My dads a rocket scientist. (no joke he actually has a degree in rocket science)

My dads a rocket scientist. (no joke he actually has a degree in rocket science)

Nah, you've got to be kidding. If he is, that's cool! My dad's just a lawyer.

My new rig build log:http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/80801-m-itx-pc/?p=1158887 Now finished with  970!                          Can anybody give me a freelancer?                  I need to transport more HYPBP.               Butt Imperium games                     RAINBOW .                   840 EVO still awesome                    The evil that is verizon has been vanquished!      ܝܘܚܢܢ ܒܝܬ ܐܦܪܝܡ

Nah, you've got to be kidding. If he is, that's cool! My dad's just a lawyer.

Well he has a degree in rocket science, that doesn't mean he is one. but he is a project manager for a company that builds rockets.

Well he has a degree in rocket science, that doesn't mean he is one. but he is a project manager for a company that builds rockets.

That's still pretty cool though. My dad has helped to design and finance (by finance I mean he figured out how the dudes with the money should spend their money and how much of that money it is going to cost) the new Penn Station in NYC. If I were allowed, I would post the new floor plans on the forum, but the NDA on the design is ending some time this summer or next year idk when.

My friend managed to set the .lnk file association to open with PowerPoint (lnk is a shortcut) so running programs was pretty hard (if anyone knows how to fix it, I would love to know). He also lost his GCSE DT folder on hand in day, so the teacher was less than happy (with no trace, even to deleted file recovery programs). He blames his antivirus, which has no entry into add/remove programs and no apparent processes running (it came preinstalled on his refurbished laptop). The laptop is full of bloatware.

http://superuser.com/questions/92869/how-to-reset-shortcuts-lnk-file-in-windows-7 should work (I think)

I don't have a story, but I just remembered that I had a 2tb external hdd, so I took that out of the casing and now I have another hdd :D (I was running out of space to so yay!)

CPU: i5-3570K Cooler: Hyper 212 Plus MB: MSI Z77MA-G45 Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM GPU: PNY GeForce GTX 770 4GB Case: Rosewill Challenger-U3 ATX PSU: Rosewill Hive 650W OS: Windows 7 Pro 64bit Monitor: ViewSonic VX2370Smh-LED Keyboard: Some Dell Keyboard Mouse: Logitech G500 Headphones: Logitech G930

http://superuser.com/questions/92869/how-to-reset-shortcuts-lnk-file-in-windows-7 should work (I think)

I don't have a story, but I just remembered that I had a 2tb external hdd, so I took that out of the casing and now I have another hdd :D (I was running out of space to so yay!)

Well that works I guess haha.

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

Well that works I guess haha.

The best part is that it's a wd green

Oh, and my mom likes my new mech keyboard, except that wasd are "these weird arrow thingies, but that's okay, you just have to memorize the locations"

I heard this girl talking about how her school laptops are bad, she was saying, "They are not even mac or pc! They are Acer!", wat.

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

My dad is currently watching basketball from a free live stream with a bagillion adds. 

Also I am in a debate with my best friends older brother on PC vs. Console here are some of his arguments.

"See no a pc rellys on all its other things to keep selling where as the console has just a good graphuc and online game play just still expanding"

"Pc if for those who have no life so they can seem special console yes plug play but fits ppl like who dont have much time and work hard for a living"

"Pc is not just for gaming we are talking about gaming this is why pc is erelavent" -After this I said that the PC has WAY more games than both consoles so we'll see what he say's now.

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Just found this..... Only read if you want to be disgusted or angry.

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/slideshow/371675/10_reasons_hate_pc_gamers/?image=1

I mean seriously WTF is this!?!?!?

Just found this..... Only read if you want to be disgusted or angry.

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/slideshow/371675/10_reasons_hate_pc_gamers/?image=1

I mean seriously WTF is this!?!?!?

I died a little every time I read a slide...

My sister and I were trying to figure out what phone our mom should get, she can't use a phone without a touchscreen, but can't understand Android (notifications / where stuff is); she's probably going to end up with iOS