Experiences with non-techies

LOL @ people reporting off-topic posts in this thread, whilst committing mass off-topic posts in the same thread.

Uh... Alrighty then.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

LOL @ people reporting off-topic posts in this thread, whilst committing mass off-topic posts in the same thread.

I reported it due to it violating Section 4 of the CoC where it states that unsolicited advertising is prohibited on LTT.

I guess that would work.

But would a 900D fit on your lap? The world may never know...

If you believe hard enough, a 900D can fit on anyone's lap.

Sorry, I was in a rush when I typed it, he said exactly, "I don't know, like an express train or something?"

Probably our wondrous transit system.

He probably meant our transit system in the GRiD server.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

He probably meant our transit system in the GRiD server.

No I meant this one:

nyc_subway_car_r32_on_the_r_line_by_255e

No I meant this one:

nyc_subway_car_r32_on_the_r_line_by_255e

You know I was kidding, right?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

No I meant this one:

I for one, Being a country boy, Hope I never have to ride one of those or live in a big city...Just sayin

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

No I meant this one:

*pic of a subway car*

I happen to live about 12 miles or less from the city in a commuter town, NYC is not really that cool to go to (I still like it a ton), but whenever my cousins visit, who live in North Carolina, they MUST go to New York. When we have to go in with them, they always want to use a taxi to get around, go in the empire state building and go to all the really touristy places. That annoys the hell out of me. There is SO much shit to do there but you want to see THE EMPIRE STATE BUILDING ONLY? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? They expressed no interest in central park or any museum, just the above mentioned building. They also only want to go to the really famous places for lunch that are well known but serve mediocre food. That annoys me to no end. Also, they walk through the city like tourists. 

I happen to live about 12 miles or less from the city in a commuter town, NYC is not really that cool to go to (I still like it a ton), but whenever my cousins visit, who live in North Carolina, they MUST go to New York. When we have to go in with them, they always want to use a taxi to get around, go in the empire state building and go to all the really touristy places. That annoys the hell out of me. There is SO much shit to do there but you want to see THE EMPIRE STATE BUILDING ONLY? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? They expressed no interest in central park or any museum, just the above mentioned building. They also only want to go to the really famous places for lunch that are well known but serve mediocre food. That annoys me to no end. Also, they walk through the city like tourists. 

Wow that sucks... I'll stick with my forests and lakes thank you.

Now back on topic please.

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

You know I was kidding, right?

I know, i was making a point.

I found this the best!

I bet she was a blonde, WASN'T SHE? EH?  :D

If she was it would have been like this, "They are not even Mac or Pc! They are macbooks."

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

Several weeks ago, a friend of mine's parents took their computer to some Best Buy because it was running slow and they didn't know how to fix it. Best Buy being Best Buy, told them the computer was not worth saving, and they bought a new computer from them. One of those small Windows 8 desktops.

I go over to his house one day, and notice that they have a new computer, and ask where the old one went. He tells me the story above, and I ask him where the computer is now because I'd be willing to place a wager that I'd be able to fix it and he can have his own computer.

The computer was how you'd expect it to be. It was used by everyone who lived under that roof, Mom, Dad, and my friend's 2 sisters. I had never seen so much bloat on a single computer in my entire life. Even found a folder filled with Katy Perry songs, however none of them were songs, and were .exe's that gave them adware. 

Long story short, I cleansed the PC of its bloat, adware, viruses, and nothing was wrong with it. It was a Dell XPS 420 FYI if you were wondering, it had Windows Vista 32 bit, some old pentium and 4GB RAM. All in all it probably took me about an hour to fix it, but I didn't mind doing it.

As I was getting ready to leave the his parents came to me and handed me their old laptop that allegedly had a virus on it and rendered it unusable. There was indeed a virus on the computer, some malware that literally would not let the user open anything unless they bought their software. Even tried opening CMD and it said a malicious attack was attempted by cmd.exe. lol.

Wound up having to boot into safe mode since I couldn't load anything other than the malware, and put Malwarebytes on a flashdrive and got it removed there. Did not receive any form of thanks at all, but then again I didn't really want any.

I live in a town that is 90% wealthy jewish families that worship Apple like a religion so I have some more funny stories.

One time some kid tried to convince me that my Note 3 is inferior to his iPhone 4s because the iPhone's "running system is faster and better than Samsung's". I asked him if he meant operating system and he proceeded to call me a nerd who doesn't have a life. I asked him why is it all of the sudden a bad thing to know what you're paying for and he just kept saying that Apple makes the best phones and that is why everyone has them. I never once said to him that Android phones are better and I just told him whatever works for him is best and walked away.

Another time my math teacher tried to tell me how a computer works. I then asked her to point to the computer and she pointed to the monitor (not the PC on the floor under her desk)

The best story of them all comes from when I was in the 6th grade many years ago. The school had these computers in this room and we would sometimes have our media class in there. All we would do is make short movies in Windows Movie Maker in that class. In 6th grade I think was the first time I actually got a PC, so I was pretty familiar with XP, which was what we were using.

So one day, internet explorer would not open for some reason. However, I knew a command in CMD that could force open a program so I began typing in a command and the teacher yanked me by my arm and put me out in the hallway. He told me that many other students were losing their projects and he suspecting me of "hacking the system and deleting their projects".

Even after telling him this was not the case, I was sent down to the principal's office and got banned from using the school's computers for 2 months. 

PC Specs

PC Specs - CPU: Intel Core i7 3970X @ 3.5 GHz CPU Cooler: Swiftech H240-X Graphics Card: x2 NVidia Geforce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked Editions Watercooled by Corsair HG10 N780s w/ Corsair H90s Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD w/ 1TB WD Blue HDD 7200 RPM HDD  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79  PSU: NZXT HALE90 V2 NP-1GM-1200A 1200W Audio: Mayflower Electronics Objective2 Bamboo Amplifier w/ Mayflower Electronics ODAC & Mayflower Electronics Modified Fostex T50RP Headphones V3 w/ Antlion Mod Mic Case: Fractal Design Define R5 OS: Windows 7 Professional Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure Optical w/ Razer Goliathus Extended Mouse Pad Keyboard: Camo Filco Majestouch-2 Tenkeyless  w/ Cherry MX Black switches w/ Custom Keycaps Monitor: Asus ROG Swift 27" 1440p 1ms response time 144hz + 2 other monitors

Several weeks ago, a friend of mine's parents took their computer to some Best Buy because it was running slow and they didn't know how to fix it. Best Buy being Best Buy, told them the computer was not worth saving, and they bought a new computer from them. One of those small Windows 8 desktops.

I go over to his house one day, and notice that they have a new computer, and ask where the old one went. He tells me the story above, and I ask him where the computer is now because I'd be willing to place a wager that I'd be able to fix it and he can have his own computer.

The computer was how you'd expect it to be. It was used by everyone who lived under that roof, Mom, Dad, and my friend's 2 sisters. I had never seen so much bloat on a single computer in my entire life. Even found a folder filled with Katy Perry songs, however none of them were songs, and were .exe's that gave them adware. 

Long story short, I cleansed the PC of its bloat, adware, viruses, and nothing was wrong with it. It was a Dell XPS 420 FYI if you were wondering, it had Windows Vista 32 bit, some old pentium and 4GB RAM. All in all it probably took me about an hour to fix it, but I didn't mind doing it.

As I was getting ready to leave the his parents came to me and handed me their old laptop that allegedly had a virus on it and rendered it unusable. There was indeed a virus on the computer, some malware that literally would not let the user open anything unless they bought their software. Even tried opening CMD and it said a malicious attack was attempted by cmd.exe. lol.

Wound up having to boot into safe mode since I couldn't load anything other than the malware, and put Malwarebytes on a flashdrive and got it removed there. Did not receive any form of thanks at all, but then again I didn't really want any.

I live in a town that is 90% wealthy jewish families that worship Apple like a religion so I have some more funny stories.

One time some kid tried to convince me that my Note 3 is inferior to his iPhone 4s because the iPhone's "running system is faster and better than Samsung's". I asked him if he meant operating system and he proceeded to call me a nerd who doesn't have a life. I asked him why is it all of the sudden a bad thing to know what you're paying for and he just kept saying that Apple makes the best phones and that is why everyone has them. I never once said to him that Android phones are better and I just told him whatever works for him is best and walked away.

Another time my math teacher tried to tell me how a computer works. I then asked her to point to the computer and she pointed to the monitor (not the PC on the floor under her desk)

The best story of them all comes from when I was in the 6th grade many years ago. The school had these computers in this room and we would sometimes have our media class in there. All we would do is make short movies in Windows Movie Maker in that class. In 6th grade I think was the first time I actually got a PC, so I was pretty familiar with XP, which was what we were using.

So one day, internet explorer would not open for some reason. However, I knew a command in CMD that could force open a program so I began typing in a command and the teacher yanked me by my arm and put me out in the hallway. He told me that many other students were losing their projects and he suspecting me of "hacking the system and deleting their projects".

Even after telling him this was not the case, I was sent down to the principal's office and got banned from using the school's computers for 2 months. 

What command is it I would like to know.

What command is it I would like to know.

start iexplore.exe

PC Specs

PC Specs - CPU: Intel Core i7 3970X @ 3.5 GHz CPU Cooler: Swiftech H240-X Graphics Card: x2 NVidia Geforce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked Editions Watercooled by Corsair HG10 N780s w/ Corsair H90s Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD w/ 1TB WD Blue HDD 7200 RPM HDD  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79  PSU: NZXT HALE90 V2 NP-1GM-1200A 1200W Audio: Mayflower Electronics Objective2 Bamboo Amplifier w/ Mayflower Electronics ODAC & Mayflower Electronics Modified Fostex T50RP Headphones V3 w/ Antlion Mod Mic Case: Fractal Design Define R5 OS: Windows 7 Professional Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure Optical w/ Razer Goliathus Extended Mouse Pad Keyboard: Camo Filco Majestouch-2 Tenkeyless  w/ Cherry MX Black switches w/ Custom Keycaps Monitor: Asus ROG Swift 27" 1440p 1ms response time 144hz + 2 other monitors

-Big text snippy-

Holy text!

Too bad that last one though. Did he ever let you prove your innocence? I assume not

Holy text!

Too bad that last one though. Did he ever let you prove your innocence? I assume not

Nope. He still teaches there to this day

PC Specs

Nope. He still teaches there to this day

Man that sucks.

So my parents decided to listen to my sister and get rid of their cable, but yet yelled at me when I explained that they shouldn't expect Netflix to work great when other people are using the internet ("You just want to use the internet all for yourself")

How can you use "all" the internet?

Welcome to the tech-support stream!

Just now:

Person: Help the computer isn't turning on!

Me: Did you turn on the actual computer itself?

Person: Yeah I touched the power button and it didn't work!

Me: *Reaches over and firmly push power button*

Person: YAY YOU ARE A GENIUS!

Me: Facepalm

I hate typing on these Dell laptop keyboards. They are too mushy.

-.-, srsly? -.-

Last night, my mother asked me to put Breaking Bad Season 1 on the DVD player for her, I turned it on after finally skipping through episodes to find out which one she was to watch next as she had forgotten... She then called me through to her room three times; because she accidentally turned it off (She tried to pause it), I put the episode back on and went back through to play CSGO she shouted for me again, this time she tried to turn the volume up and turned the DVD player off a second time! I then went back through to continue playing my game, twenty minutes later "STEPHENNNN, STEVEEEE" This time she accidentally hit the remote and again turned it off. 

Hopeless, this is why I'm going grey at 20 years old.

Poor soul...

Just my entire OLD job at pc world

customer: "hey im looking for a decent laptop for myself"

me: "well, we certainly sell laptops, what do you plan on using it for"

customer: "well just normal stuff you know"

me "...what do you consider normal"

customer: "you know just regular computer stuff"

me..... "thats helpful......why not have a look around"  - runs away and dies in a corner

or this

customer: "well i was looking for a computer with at least 8gb of ram, and a 2tb hard drive, ooh this one has 16gb"

me : "but it has a celeron, it will be slow and terrible"

customer: "but it has so much ram, ill take this one please, I also dont need any software, I dont need office or antivirus or anything, my *insert person here* works in the IT business"

- next day - oh hey, this computer is slow, also you never told me it didnt come with office and it has a virus because you didnt install an antivirus

me. FUCK OFF :) *never actually said that, just screamed it in my head*

but my favourite customer was this lady

lady "Oh i work in IT i get all my software free"

Me : thats great what do you do?

lady : "I'm a sports teacher at school"..........

FACEPALM then how the fuck are you in IT, im pretty sure teaching football isnt IT unless its pro evo

(I have thousands of these BTW)

Thank god you don't work there anymore. O.o

Ok, now for a non techie experience:

My class has a blog and we created a group that administrates the blog. Up until now I had been posting the articles, so the other ones made me teach them how to post. I was teaching one of them in Friday and I was about to explode. He was slow as hell in EVERYTHING, typing, moving the mouse, searching for buttons, EVERYTHING. On top of that he needed me to tell him here the new post button was, I mean, do you give up all the logic when you're near a techie? It's in Portuguese, so language barrier wasn't a thing and there was a big orange button saying "New Post", argh...

i'm a potato

-.-, srsly? -.-

Yes, I am not kidding, I have lost every ounce of hope that I was holding on to regarding the kids at my school. 

Mr. Big Wall of Text guy, I feel bad for you. May God help you in your experiences with non-techies.

That's disgusting.

IKR. I have asthma, so looking into people's desktops who never clean them (everybody who doesn't care about their computer's health), often results in some rather unpleasant fits of coughing.  

IKR. I have asthma, so looking into people's desktops who never clean them (everybody who doesn't care about their computer's health), often results in some rather unpleasant fits of coughing.  

If I ever have that happen I will demand a gas/dust mask on site or else I will not service their system.

I need to clean my system but my case is cheap so it has no removable fan filters and I don't have any canned air.

I just found this on imgur and it is an exaggeration of what I have had to dealt with when fixing peoples computers.

http://imgur.com/a/Ai3R3

80dLt.jpg

PC Specs