Experiences with non-techies

Sorry, I've been storing up my annoyance on those kinds of posts for too long. But I know that was too much now that I found out that terrytek is a 13 year old.

Yep, you finally found out. Congrats! :D Birthday in 2 months!! :D

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Yep, you finally found out. Congrats! :D Birthday in 2 months!! :D

Don't push it, pal.

My sister is so annoying when it comes to our internet. She spends all her time with netflix and youtube open at the same time and complains when the internet is slow for her. Even more annoying is that is the fact that she has both the router and the modem in her room (it used to be my mom's office then they swapped rooms so my sister could have a larger room) and if the wifi ever goes down (which it does frequently) I have to yell at her to fix it as she will not allow me in her room to fix it. (she is 12 so she is close to the rebellious teenager phase of life) When I do yell at her to fix it, she tells me that she is having no problems (while USING ETHERNET) and that I need to go away or what ends up happening is that she tells me that she is busy and will do it later. Keep in mind that both my mom and I use Wifi and my mom IS DOING ALL HER WORK FROM HOME.

Oh god, if I was you, I would rage mode after awhile living with her, and then I would move the router to my room.and if she's still a prick I'll kill her

I bought a similar system (asrock extreme 4, AMD fx8320, 1x8gb corsair xms3, gtx 660, zalman Z11 plus, corsair Cx600m) with no monitor or HDD and it cost me £500 which is only £20or so less than that system if you convert it from CAD to GBP so from someone in the UK that's a bloody good deal (I bought my parts from amazon). Shows how much we pay in shipping (though we're nearer to China) and taxes compared to you guys

That is not similar...

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

Just now:

Person: (name), why is somebody's account showing on the login screen?

Me: ??? Show me.

Person: Shows site with person's password saved

Me: *FACEPALM*

Me: Somebody saved their password onto it.

Person: OOOHHHH!!!

I have to deal with this every day. God help me.

I work in IT support for a college.

I find it depressing that I had to teach somebody far more educated than myself, and who holds a degree in physics, that the reason their PC would not turn on was due to the fact the power to the room was out, which is also why she was currently sat in total darkness and why all the other electrical equipment in the lab was not working.

Just now:

Person: (name), why is somebody's account showing on the login screen?

Me: ??? Show me.

Person: Shows site with person's password saved

Me: *FACEPALM*

Me: Somebody saved their password onto it.

Person: OOOHHHH!!!

I have to deal with this every day. God help me.

Please stop. You just gave me another concussion from facepalming.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I work in IT support for a college.

I find it depressing that I had to teach somebody far more educated than myself, and who holds a degree in physics, that the reason their PC will not turn on is due to the fact the power to the room is out, which is also why she was currently sat in total darkness and why all the other electrical equipment in the lab was not working.

Fire them. I just... degree in physics and she didn't... oh wait... female. No offense but, women to typically be dumber than men. But not realizing the power is out in the room... fired. I declare this person fired.

Fire them. I just... degree in physics and she didn't... oh wait... female. No offense but, women to typically be dumber than men. But not realizing the power is out in the room... fired. I declare this person fired.

I wish I had that kind of power around here.

I'd certainly like to send our Art/Graphics department on a Adobe course, rather than reying on our department to help students with things their teachers should be teaching them to do.

I really hate IT professionals who don't know what the fuck defragmentation is. I explain what it is, but nobody uses it because they think it will set fire to the PC. Also, they are soooooo dumb whenever technology craps out, they are actually tough enough to toss the computer into a wall with the force of dropping a boulder on it. Nothing was able to be salvaged. Damn.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I bought a similar system (asrock extreme 4, AMD fx8320, 1x8gb corsair xms3, gtx 660, zalman Z11 plus, corsair Cx600m) with no monitor or HDD and it cost me £500 which is only £20or so less than that system if you convert it from CAD to GBP so from someone in the UK that's a bloody good deal (I bought my parts from amazon). Shows how much we pay in shipping (though we're nearer to China) and taxes compared to you guys

This .. all of what you just said!

Asus gaming laptop amazon .com $ 1329 = £800 Asus gaming laptop amazon UK £1100

28% more expensive for no reason

I once had a customer tell his friend that gaming mice gave him better frames per seconds in games....Resisting laughing I had to tell him the truth that he was wrong 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I don't have too many issues in my household as almost everyone acknowledges me as tech person of the household. Only my older brother is the one I have issues with. He spouts stuff about how his 650ti is better than a 750ti because it has more cuda cores, or how he says that "reliable water cooling depends on a good sprocket", or how closed loop water cooling has no liquid in it and you HAVE to supply it yourself. He's also said that power consumption of parts don't change the heat output of cpus, amd just run hotter than intel no matter what.

He causes physical pain to me without even being in the same room.

CPU: AMD FX 8320e | Mobo: Gigabyte GA‑78LMT‑USB3 | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper n520 | RAM: 8Gb @ 1333MHz

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 mITX | PSU: Antec HCG 520w | Storage: Sandisk 120GB - WD Red 1TB | Case: Modded IBM A50 sleeper

All displayed on an AOC I2421VWH

I don't have too many issues in my household as almost everyone acknowledges me as tech person of the household. Only my older brother is the one I have issues with. He spouts stuff about how his 650ti is better than a 750ti because it has more cuda cores, or how he says that "reliable water cooling depends on a good sprocket", or how closed loop water cooling has no liquid in it and you HAVE to supply it yourself. He's also said that power consumption of parts don't change the heat output of cpus, amd just run hotter than intel no matter what.

He causes physical pain to me without even being in the same room.

Reading this caused me to get mental trauma.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

This .. all of what you just said!

Asus gaming laptop amazon .com $ 1329 = £800 Asus gaming laptop amazon UK £1100

28% more expensive for no reason

I once had a customer tell his friend that gaming mice gave him better frames per seconds in games....Resisting laughing I had to tell him the truth that he was wrong 

That price includes taxes, like VAT... Plus taxes are a lot higher almost everywhere else than US.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

That price includes taxes, like VAT... Plus taxes are a lot higher almost everywhere else than US.

Yes it sucks :'( UK VAT is 20%

But some things in the US even including UK tax rates are WAY cheaper 

US Macbook Pro retina $1299 (pre tax  = 782  (+20% = £939) - Price in UK £1099! - still £160 even if the US payed 20% tax rate

ON TOPIC

One of the ladies at work just asked me how to close tabs........yeah.....I thought I would share that with you all

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Oh god, if I was you, I would rage mode after awhile living with her, and then I would move the router to my room.and if she's still a prick I'll kill her

Can't do the moving the router thing. Because her room used to be my mom's office, it is one of 2 rooms on the 2nd floor of my house that has a cable connection. Moving it into my room would mean getting Comcast and an electrician to extend the cable line into my room which would cost a large amount of money. Also, I have gone full rage mode on her and once "accidentally" pushed her down a hill while sledding and she ended up breaking her arm (that part was not intentional)

Today:

I was sharpening a pencil when the following conversation ensued.

Me: Ms. ---, you should shut your computer off.

Ms. ---: But I don't know how to, I always just log off. Can you shut it off for me?

Me: Fuck you! *Slaps her face*. (I wanted to, but doing that would land me in the suspension room)

Me: *Shows her how to shut it off*

Ms ---: Yay you are a genius!

I shut her monitor off after the system shutdown. Let's see if she figures out how to turn it on tomorrow.

PS She is just my after-school teacher, let's see what happens.

Today:

I was sharpening a pencil when the following conversation ensued.

Me: Ms. ---, you should shut your computer off.

Ms. ---: But I don't know how to, I always just log off. Can you shut it off for me?

Me: Fuck you! *Slaps her face*. (I wanted to, but doing that would land me in the suspension room)

Me: *Shows her how to shut it off*

Ms ---: Yay you are a genius!

I shut her monitor off after the system shutdown. Let's see if she figures out how to turn it on tomorrow.

PS She is just my after-school teacher, let's see what happens.

Has she never opened the start menu with the huge "shut down" button?

Has she never opened the start menu with the huge "shut down" button?

We have restrictions on our network that prevent teachers from shutting down through the start menu, you have to log off before you can shut down. I showed her how to press CTRL+ALT+DEL, say OK to our network policy, click shutdown, and then confirm the command. It was that hard for her.

Mind you one time she said, "Let's open the SmartBoard" instead of "Let's turn on the SmartBoard" and I had to excuse myself to the lavatory to laugh off.

We have restrictions on our network that prevent teachers from shutting down through the start menu, you have to log off before you can shut down. I showed her how to press CTRL+ALT+DEL, say OK to our network policy, click shutdown, and then confirm the command. It was that hard for her.

Mind you one time she said, "Let's open the SmartBoard" instead of "Let's turn on the SmartBoard" and I had to excuse myself to the lavatory to laugh off.

Does the mart board have an application you need to run if so she might have been talking about that.

Does the mart board have an application you need to run if so she might have been talking about that.

No, you just hit the power button and wait for it to warm up and then it will show whatever is on the computer screen

I get treated like free tech support sometimes...

One kid asked me once how to edit a video on a Mac and when I told her that I don't use Macs she called me a retard and accused me of knowing schiit about computers. Apparently computer geeks are supposed to magically know everything about every operating system to have ever existed. Maybe by having studied Linusism Slick the god sent me knowledge.

I hate it when people treat us like 24/7 tech support. Even last year, a girl in my class wrote me an email asking HOW TO FUCKING E-MAIL A POWERPOINT. IT WAS THAT HARD FOR HER.

Excuse my ranting.

EDIT: I was informed today that Macs were better than PC in every way because it was made by Apple. When I started ranting about Apple (WTF?!? $600 for 16GB of RAM? Fuck you!) they said that I was a retard for not worshiping Apple. I was like NO. I worship who I want to worship. (Linus & Slick) God damn, I hate Mac fanboys but experiences with them are quite colorful.

:P I remembered!

This is familiar...

Whenever the internet is going slow my stepdad asks me if I'm on the internet. Naturally I say no and while he unplugs the router and waits to plug it back in, I go back to his room to find a YouTube video buffering, Spotify playing (MORE downloading), and he has 3 tabs up on eBay, all loading... I'm sitting there playing NFS: Carbon on my grandma's computer the entire time...

My two year old tablet can't load heavy web pages quickly on a part of my house where wi-fi reception is crappy as hell. Who does my father blame? Me! How does he get there? "I didn't do it, your granpa can't see, so he didn't do it, your mom didn't do it. Was it the cat or you?" -.-

Our school (except for the new wing) is built entirely on those, and the one in the Science classroom makes for a very good water heater and occasionally I dump my jacket on the radiator and later it's nice and warm.

My school doesn't have ANY heating or cooling. In the chemestry lab there is a heater, a small one that is older than the school and only heats the teacher's hands...

Also, they have been slowly upgrading all of the computers over the last 2 years to Dell Optiplexes with sandy bridge i3's. i say slowly because they still have left a number of computers with core 2 duos and BTX motherboards. Yes BTX motherboards. 

My school's IT department (i.e. one guy) did something I can't understand. We used to have really crappy PC's, P4's running XP and 2 screens (monitor and projector). They switched some of them to DELL PC's with Pentiums, but they were fast enough for Word/Excel/PowerPoint and web browsing. This term (wich ends tomorrow, YAY!) they switched ALL the computers to HP PC's from 2009 (C2D, 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD, Windows 7). WTF?! Ok, the DELL's weren't uber fast but they were better than the HP's, and the monitor was WAAAAY better. They say they don't have money for new PC's, but the school's library got 10 new PC's this month...

i'm a potato

Recently when I was at a party, I told the group of adults i was talking to that I had built my own PC.

These were the responses: (one in particular is funny)

A few people: "Wow! I had no idea that you could do that! That is really cool! How do you do that?"

Me: 'It is basically adult legos, It is a ton simpler than you think."

Those people: "How much have you spent on it?"

Me: "~$1600"

One of the people: "Can it do word processing?" (MS Word)

-When that person said that I mentally facepalmed EXTREMELY hard.-

Me: Of course it can, any new computer is able to do that. Of all things you can possible do with a computer, using MS Word is one of the least intensive. How could a computer that I have spent that much on not do word processing?

That person: "Oh really, that's all I do so I was just wondering. That's pretty cool. What video chip are you using?"

After that, the person and I began to discuss some things and I found out that he dealt with hardware in the 90's and is essentially stuck there when it comes to tech knowledge,

Recently when I was at a party, I told the group of adults i was talking to that I had built my own PC.

These were the responses: (one in particular is funny)

A few people: "Wow! I had no idea that you could do that! That is really cool! How do you do that?"

Me: 'It is basically adult legos, It is a ton simpler than you think."

Those people: "How much have you spent on it?"

Me: "~$1600"

One of the people: "Can it do word processing?" (MS Word)

-When that person said that I mentally facepalmed EXTREMELY hard.-

Me: Of course it can, any new computer is able to do that. Of all things you can possible do with a computer, using MS Word is one of the least intensive. How could a computer that I have spent that much on not do word processing?

That person: "Oh really, that's all I do so I was just wondering. That's pretty cool. What video chip are you using?"

After that, the person and I began to discuss some things and I found out that he dealt with hardware in the 90's and is essentially stuck there when it comes to tech knowledge,

i wish I could build a PC. My parents said no.