Experiences with non-techies

Well then that's sad

Not to mention worthy of a facepalm.

Today my English teacher was confused as to why a dialog box was failing to function. It was a screenshot.

Not to mention worthy of a facepalm.

Today my English teacher was confused as to why a dialog box was failing to function. It was a screenshot.

Or when people wonder why they can't type on a pdf or copy it? IT"S LIKE AN IMAGE!!!!! ADOBE IS NOT A WORD PROCESSOR!!

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

Or when people wonder why they can't type on a pdf or copy it? IT"S LIKE AN IMAGE!!!!! ADOBE IS NOT A WORD PROCESSOR!!

Ehhhh, there are searchable pdfs where you can copy text & even use ctrl-f to seach for words. Also it is definitely possible to type on PDFs just not when using adobe reader, you need a pdf writer but plenty of them exist.

And of course you can't type on PDFs in Adobe Reader, it's just a viewer. You need Adobe Writer (or a free alternative). Just like you can't edit images in windows image preview, you need something like paint. 

CPU - 3770k @ 4.7GHz | Motherboard - Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB @ 1600 | GPU - EVGA GTX 770 SC ACX (2x SLI) | Case - Coolermaster HAF XM | Cooling - CM EVO 212 | Storage - Corsair Force 3 90GB | WD 2TB x 2 | PSU - Thermaltake SMART 850W | Display - Asus VG248QE 144hz + GSYNC kit |  Mouse - R.A.T. 7 | Sound - Creative Titanium X-FI HD | DT990 | ATH-M50 | ATH-AD700

Ehhhh, there are searchable pdfs where you can copy text & even use ctrl-f to seach for words. Also it is definitely possible to type on PDFs just not when using adobe reader, you need a pdf writer but plenty of them exist.

And of course you can't type on PDFs in Adobe Reader, it's just a viewer. You need Adobe Writer (or a free alternative). Just like you can't edit images in windows image preview, you need something like paint. 

Yea I know. I don't think any computer in our school has adobe writer. It' just that people assume that they can type in it when there are instructions on the pdf that tell them to answer the questions in a different doc.

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

My dad thinks he can see EVERYTHING I do on my computer, netbook and desktop, but I know he can't, since he just uses it as a scare tactic to make sure I'm doing my homework. But my desktop is tethered to my netbook (netbook is connected to the wireless), so everything I do just comes up as my netbook (even if he could see it, which he can't). VENGEANCE (name of, you guessed it, Vengeance) isn't even a computer on the network (shared IP with ASUSTeK, my netbook).

My chemestry teacher said that she had an app on her *BLACKBERRY* that could detect the radiation of SMS's being sent so we wouldn't text during class...

Posting this from school oveerheard like 10 dumb conversations i swear this is real

---

A: dude ps4 is not out yet!

B: Yeah youre right!

This happent to me today:

A: Did you know that the PS5 is already out in Germany?

Me: What? That makes no sense.

A: In Germany they get the consoles earlier.

Me: :facepalm: Sony is Japanese, they'd release it in Japan first, wich they didn't, because it's not out. Where did you even hear that?

A: In the internet.

Epic_Facepalm_by_RJTH%255B1%255D.jpg

i'm a potato

-snippy-

Welp time to move to germany so I can get me some of that next get stuff! You should ask him where on the internet he heard that.

My brother claims that his computer is too slow so when I went to clean the crapware off of it he kept saying "nononono! dont delete that! It's useful!" 

Fuck the fact that he has a 1080p monitor that was his Christmas gift and he barely uses it, and my 900p monitor is used daily.

My brother claims that his computer is too slow so when I went to clean the crapware off of it he kept saying "nononono! dont delete that! It's useful!" 

Fuck the fact that he has a 1080p monitor that was his Christmas gift and he barely uses it, and my 900p monitor is used daily.

Have you tried buying it off of him?

He's not even technologically literate.

I just asked him if I could have it, and he said no, and he also said he doesn't have to give me a reason.

Irk. 

I believe the term you are looking for is IKR.

Just say IRK out loud, and you will know why I put it there.

This is why I just love my generation.

They think that what they can do makes them the top computer geek in the school. I've yet to own a person who thinks he is better than me but is stupid, but I want it to happen.

My generation:

[A Hypothetical Story]

Me: Do a hard reset on the computer.

Person: WHAT THE FUCK? Don't talk down to me. I am smarter than you.

Me: Okay. Force reboot the PC....

Person: *Does a power cycle on the monitor*

Me: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!

Me: YOU FUCKING THINK YOU ARE SMARTER THAN ME? YOU FUCKING POWER CYCLED THE GODDAMN MONITOR TO REBOOT THE PC! YOU DON'T DESERVE A PC IF YOU ARE THIS STUPID!

One time:

A: I have the best gaming PC in the world.

Me: Okay, specs?

A: It's an Alienware.

Me: *facepalm* What CPU?

A: What's a CPU?

Me: *kicks bus stop pole* How much RAM?

A: 16 RAM

Me: What unit?

A: Gigabyte

Me: What's the clock speed on the RAM?

A: IDK

Me: Say I hate Apple.

A: Apple is the best.

Me; I hate Mac OS. I want something complex.

*girl jumps in*

B: You are retarded.

Me: *Full rage mode activated* DONT FUCKING TALK DOWN TO ME! YOU THINK THE MAC IS SO GREAT HUH? WHERE IS THE REGISTRY EDITOR? DO I HAVE TO GET STUFF FROM SOME RETARDED COMPANY? WHAT CHIPSET DOES THE MAC USE? CAN I CUSTOMIZE IT? CAN I INSTALL A TITAN IN IT? DO I GET UPDATES FOR FREE? I DIDN'T THINK SO!

/rant

They think that what they can do makes them the top computer geek in the school. I've yet to own a person who thinks he is better than me but is stupid, but I want it to happen.

My generation:

[A Hypothetical Story]

Me: YOU FUCKING THINK YOU ARE SMARTER THAN ME? YOU FUCKING POWER CYCLED THE GODDAMN MONITOR TO REBOOT THE PC! YOU DON'T DESERVE A PC IF YOU ARE THIS STUPID!

One time:

*girl jumps in*

Me: *Full rage mode activated* DONT FUCKING TALK DOWN TO ME! YOU THINK THE MAC IS SO GREAT HUH? WHERE IS THE REGISTRY EDITOR? DO I HAVE TO GET STUFF FROM SOME RETARDED COMPANY? WHAT CHIPSET DOES THE MAC USE? CAN I CUSTOMIZE IT? CAN I INSTALL A TITAN IN IT? DO I GET UPDATES FOR FREE? I DIDN'T THINK SO!

/rant

I hate your generation too, they think typing in all caps is funny.

CPU: i7 3770k @4.5Ghz 1.26v Cooler: H100i 2 Sp120 Quiets MoBo: MSI Z77 MPOWER Big Bang RAM: 16GB G.Skill Sniper 2133Mhz CL9 Graphics Card: Asus Direct CU II R9 290 Storage: Vertex 4 128GB, WD Black 1TB Case: NZXT H440 Green

My chemestry teacher said that she had an app on her *BLACKBERRY* that could detect the radiation of SMS's being sent so we wouldn't text during class...

This happent to me today:

A: Did you know that the PS5 is already out in Germany?

Me: What? That makes no sense.

A: In Germany they get the consoles earlier.

Me: :facepalm: Sony is Japanese, they'd release it in Japan first, wich they didn't, because it's not out. Where did you even hear that?

A: In the internet.

Well, if the PS4 release is an indicator, North America may still get the PS5 first before Japan   ;)

(Heck, even Hong Kong got the PS4 before Japan did)

Intel i7-4770K @4.5GHz | Corsair H80i | Asus Z87-Deluxe | Crucial Ballistix 16GB

EVGA GTX 770 SC w/ ACX Cooler | Fractal Design Define XL R2 | Dell U2713HM

My generation:

[A Hypothetical Story]

One time:

*girl jumps in*

/rant

You don't get updates for free in Microsoft's os' you need to pay for the update from 7 to 8.

It's apples fault with their Imacs

EDIT:here is an experience with a non-techie

I once wanted an iMac

Now I'm ashamed of it, but in 2009/2010 I reeeeally wanted a Mac, now I know best.

I hate when this guy in my class starts talking about computers. He has an iMac and he got an iPhone 5S (bastard) this week. Whenever he starts talking about PC's it's like "But the iMac is such a great machine! Look at the screen size! It's the biggest screen on any computer!". I like OS X and Apple's design, but I wouldn't buy a Mac, for the same price I could get a much better PC.

IKR? Nowadays, kids think that restarting the monitor will fix any and every problem. Screw the iMac and Apple. I mean, really? What do you think that big case behind the monitor is for? (Our computers are mounted behind the monitor.) Oh, why, that's the hard drive! It's because of Apple's "amazing all-in-one format" that our generation is becoming technologically illiterate. WHO'S WITH ME?? SCREW APPLE! SCREW APPLE! SCREW APPLE! (continues)

11/10 of my cells agree.

I also have to agree with this. I personaly think the idea of a all in one computer with everything in my monitor is useless and stupid. It has terrible cooling just like a laptop and is not portable like a desktop. So what's the point? If its just going to sit in one place anyways then what is wrong with having a desktop computer under your desk?

It's good if you don't have space in your desk, or just don't like wires.

b... but.. they told me it was "next gen graphics"!

it looks great for design studios and such. When a client comes in you can show your sexy aluminum hunk to the customer instead of a desktop with 20 cables or a laptop with a small screen. That's the only rational reason to get an imac I can find...

Not to mention imacs have laptop class mobile GPUs in them (the crappy GPUs with the M at the end)  and you can't even upgrade anything! (even worse than a macbook laptop)

It saddens me when I see people getting an imac for power. 

This is sad. :(

Imo windows 8 is shit for productivity, especially in older people who haven't had computers their whole life.

My mom (that needs my help to load pictures to an SD card) figured it out.

Welp time to move to germany so I can get me some of that next get stuff! You should ask him where on the internet he heard that.

I have no idea, probably googled PS5 and it came up.

P.S.: I'm catching up with the topic, I'm on page 260 so I'll take a while.

i'm a potato

Well, if the PS4 release is an indicator, North America may still get the PS5 first before Japan   ;)

(Heck, even Hong Kong got the PS4 before Japan did)

It wouldn't be an European country for sure.

i'm a potato

Now I'm ashamed of it, but in 2009/2010 I reeeeally wanted a Mac, now I know best.

I hate when this guy in my class starts talking about computers. He has an iMac and he got an iPhone 5S (bastard) this week. Whenever he starts talking about PC's it's like "But the iMac is such a great machine! Look at the screen size! It's the biggest screen on any computer!". I like OS X and Apple's design, but I wouldn't buy a Mac, for the same price I could get a much better PC.

11/10 of my cells agree.

It's good if you don't have space in your desk, or just don't like wires.

This is sad. :(

My mom (that needs my help to load pictures to an SD card) figured it out.

I have no idea, probably googled PS5 and it came up.

P.S.: I'm catching up with the topic, I'm on page 260 so I'll take a while.

Quite a few of the recent posts have been on-topic.

(excluding this one.)

It wouldn't be an European country for sure.

well Europe got the ps4 before Sony's home market in Japan.

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

My generation:

[A Hypothetical Story]

One time:

*girl jumps in*

/rant

Uh.... Updates are free on OS X, I think.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

And @WinNut, please move to Pin 853. I heard it's a much smarter place.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

But the costs of living there are much higher.

Not to be a party pooper but why is this here?

But the costs of living there are much higher.

Pin 77 on Socket 7? Heard it's cheap and smart there.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Not to be a party pooper but why is this here?

My head hurts from all of his (rather good) stories. Too many facefloors.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

About the updates oops that was a mistake on my part.

I moved to 853, rent is high and  I think I am going to move to a MOSFET once I rob LinusBank.