Experiences with non-techies

i wish I could build a PC. My parents said no.

Well you have an external monitor, mouse, and keyboard why not just ask them for a better laptop?

Well you have an external monitor, mouse, and keyboard why not just ask them for a better laptop?

Well my dad is giving me one, it has an i5-520M, 8GB RAM (32-bit OS, can't run 64 without BSOD).

Well my dad is giving me one, it has an i5-520M, 8GB RAM (32-bit OS, can't run 64 without BSOD).

Which desktop generation does the 520M translate too?

Let's get this out of the thread before it goes OT.

Check your PM inbox.

Were getting better at this. :P

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

Hey, you guys haven't invited me? :(

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

That is not similar...

same GPU, same ram, similar mono, cheaper processor, different but still cheap case and then none of the other stuff on that list. Yet it costs nearly as much with a much cheaper CPU and no HDD or screen. Add those in and you're looking at £200+ more. So about $320 more

Okay so I work on stage crew at school. There is this one person who knows a decent amount about sound, not power or video. A couple of days ago we were going to run a presentation with our $22,000 projector (way overkill but thats the msrp on it). So what we ended up doing is getting 2 50' VGA cables (I know, bad). Along this we also ran power and an XLR cable for audio. What was being powered was 2 laptops. 

So we were getting interference on the VGA signal and the audio signal, and what does he say? 

We are getting so much interference because there is SOOOO much power being run down this bundle of cables.

So... 2 laptops are a lot of power?  Its not the power consumption, Its the FUCKING 50' VGA CABLES WE ARE USING. Don't know why the school hasn't bought HDMI cables for us, because this projection system supports HDMI, VGA, Composite, Component.

Peoples ignorance just drives me crazy...

Although my family is normally reasonable with technology, they are crazy at weekend breakfast. first, my parents generally read the newspaper with breakfast, and nobody is really talking to anybody else. Second, my mom often uses her Ipad to read the news. Now the crazy part, although my mom can use her Ipad, they don't let my do anything with my laptop (convertible), I can't watch news because I can't wear headphones during breakfast (even though nobody really talks then and when they do, I pause the video), and I can't do things like this forum because... they said so.

Although my family is normally reasonable with technology, they are crazy at weekend breakfast. first, my parents generally read the newspaper with breakfast, and nobody is really talking to anybody else. Second, my mom often uses her Ipad to read the news. Now the crazy part, although my mom can use her Ipad, they don't let my do anything with my laptop (convertible), I can't watch news because I can't wear headphones during breakfast (even though nobody really talks then and when they do, I pause the video), and I can't do things like this forum because... they said so.

Maybe your parents think it would be good time to be together as a family at weekend breakfasts... A good time to spend a moment of silence together...

I find that half-reasonable.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Maybe your parents think it would be good time to be together as a family at weekend breakfasts... A good time to spend a moment of silence together...

I find that half-reasonable.

its not really a moment of silence if everybody is reading a newspaper...

Wow, your parents won't let you use LTT either? Me too. They think LTT is dangerous. WTF.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Wow, your parents won't let you use LTT either? Me too. They think LTT is dangerous. WTF.

They're perfectly fine with it, but I was giving an example of something not inappropriate that doesn't require sound.

they probably think linus is going to come to your house and molest you

Wait, so your telling me. That wasn't spose to happen?  :mellow:

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

Saw someone today lick their finger to clean off a computer screen. FACEPALM

AMD FX-8350   -   Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD3   -   ADATA XPG 8GB   -   Asus GTX 780   -   Fractal Design Define R4   -   Corsair CS650M

Kingston 120GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 1TB   -   CM Storm QuickFire Rapid   -   Razer DeathAdder 2013

Saw someone today lick their finger to clean off a computer screen. FACEPALM

If your screen has something "crusty" on it a wet finger will often loosen it up and then you finish wiping with your sleeve. i do it all the time.

If your screen has something "crusty" on it a wet finger will often loosen it up and then you finish wiping with your sleeve. i do it all the time.

He just left it like that though. There was no cloth involved.

AMD FX-8350   -   Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD3   -   ADATA XPG 8GB   -   Asus GTX 780   -   Fractal Design Define R4   -   Corsair CS650M

Kingston 120GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 1TB   -   CM Storm QuickFire Rapid   -   Razer DeathAdder 2013