Experiences with non-techies

@link07 the new ios looks just like android to so no gain there...

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

backstory: moms old laptop is running W8 and i havent yet installed a good picture viewer, so shes stuck with the idiotic metro one (shoutout to @LinusTech i hate it to)

so i had my prom on thursday, and we were viewing pictures today, and i was raging over the retarded metro shit, and my dad was like, that cuz you uninstalled my zoombrowser... (a stupid canon image viewer). needless to say i was facepalming in my head... 

anyone can recommend a good picture viewer that isnt in metro? :)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

backstory: moms old laptop is running W8 and i havent yet installed a good picture viewer, so shes stuck with the idiotic metro one (shoutout to @LinusTech i hate it to)

so i had my prom on thursday, and we were viewing pictures today, and i was raging over the retarded metro shit, and my dad was like, that cuz you uninstalled my zoombrowser... (a stupid canon image viewer). needless to say i was facepalming in my head... 

anyone can recommend a good picture viewer that isnt in metro? :)

Just set the normal Windows picture viewer or whatever it's called as the default (it's the same one that was used in Windows 7, for the most part).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

this one isnt about pcs, i was talking about dslrs with my father, hes a photographers and ive  been learning from him, anyways he was all happy about his new lens, had a aperture of 2.8 i believe and looked badass, one of our relatives comes over and tries to talk us into believing that his iphone 5 took better pictures, so my dad played along and by that he was like fuck this and told my relative to be the photographer, the guy felt like shit and he was right to. I then told him that for future reference never compare a phones camera to a dslr, moreover if you dont know what your saying then its best to not say it.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

this one isnt about pcs, i was talking about dslrs with my father, hes a photographers and ive  been learning from him, anyways he was all happy about his new lens, had a aperture of 2.8 i believe and looked badass, one of our relatives comes over and tries to talk us into believing that his iphone 5 took better pictures, so my dad played along and by that he was like fuck this and told my relative to be the photographer, the guy felt like shit and he was right to. I then told him that for future reference never compare a phones camera to a dslr, moreover if you dont know what your saying then its best to not say it.

But if people never spoke when they didn't know what they were talking about then this thread would be dead long ago.

But if people never spoke when they didn't know what they were talking about then this thread would be dead long ago.

i cant stop human nature but it doesnt hurt to try.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

My dad thinks SSDs are crap because they don't last long, and they always corrupt your data. Yeah...

/thread

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

My dad thinks SSDs are crap because they don't last long, and they always corrupt your data. Yeah...

/thread

idk, that one on page 1 was worse

(this one) 

so this one time I was hanging out with my friend who is the manager at a tech shop by where I live and a girl comes in and buys a 2tb hard drive. we let her know that we install hard drives for $1 (the cost of the sata cable we use) and she says "just because I am a woman does not mean I cant work on computers" and leaves in a huff. two days later she comes back in saying that the HDD is not working so we take the computer in to look at it, we open it and the HDD is nowhere to be seen, so we ask her where it is. and it turns out that she scanned it and put the scanned image on her desktop to install the drive. and to top that off she threw away the drive she paid almost $200 for and she wanted us to give her a new one.

I was trying to explain to my mom why I needed to get a second hdd (before I realized that I had an external I could just take apart for a wd green), after a long discussion, I found out she basically thought that hdd's had infinite space  -_-

CPU: i5-3570K Cooler: Hyper 212 Plus MB: MSI Z77MA-G45 Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM GPU: PNY GeForce GTX 770 4GB Case: Rosewill Challenger-U3 ATX PSU: Rosewill Hive 650W OS: Windows 7 Pro 64bit Monitor: ViewSonic VX2370Smh-LED Keyboard: Some Dell Keyboard Mouse: Logitech G500 Headphones: Logitech G930

So I was looking over my parts list with another techie so that I could hear his opinions on it. Another kid nearby said, "Why are you building a bum-ass laptop?"

He though that because it was $702 it was "bum-ass." Screw him, it has a 7850K and 8 gigs of DDR3-1866 RAM.

So I was looking over my parts list with another techie so that I could hear his opinions on it. Another kid nearby said, "Why are you building a bum-ass laptop?"

He though that because it was $702 it was "bum-ass." Screw him, it has a 7850K and 8 gigs of DDR3-1866 RAM.

The fact that he thought it was a laptop hurts my brain.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Just now:

Me: Do you know what PCI Express is?

Person: A train line!

Me: facepalm

Yup, I have no hope in the people you're around.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Yup, I have no hope in the people you're around.

I think I am officially the number 1 computer geek at my school.

The IT admin looked over my parts list too and gave me some good selling points when presenting my build.

Just now:

Me: Do you know what PCI Express is?

Person: A train line!

Me: facepalm

Those New Yorkers I don't know what's wrong with them they aren't thinking right.

Those New Yorkers I don't know what's wrong with them they aren't thinking right.

Sorry, I was in a rush when I typed it, he said exactly, "I don't know, like an express train or something?"

Probably our wondrous transit system.

Sorry, I was in a rush when I typed it, he said exactly, "I don't know, like an express train or something?"

Probably our wondrous transit system.

I was just commenting on the amount of stories that come from you.

I heard this girl talking about how her school laptops are bad, she was saying, "They are not even mac or pc! They are Acer!", wat.

I found this the best!

I bet she was a blonde, WASN'T SHE? EH?  :D

Humpty Dumpty was pushed.

I was just commenting on the amount of stories that come from you.

OH okay!

The kid also said:

"Building your own computer is stupid. You build it, so therefore it is bad. Buy a computer from Dell."

I (and the few techies in my school) would see a great benefit from facepalm protectors.

Apparently in my school a computer is referred to as a "laptop". Gee, people still use desktops and I want to move from a laptop to a desktop platform.

LOL @ people reporting off-topic posts in this thread, whilst committing mass off-topic posts in the same thread.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 3700x CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) SSD: Samsung 970 Plus 250GB NVME, WD Blue 2TB m.2, Crucial M500 240GB GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW PSU: Seasonic G-Series 550W CASE: Corsair 220T RGB