Experiences with non-techies

Welcome to the tech-support stream!

Just now:

Person: Help the computer isn't turning on!

Me: Did you turn on the actual computer itself?

Person: Yeah I touched the power button and it didn't work!

Me: *Reaches over and firmly push power button*

Person: YAY YOU ARE A GENIUS!

Me: Facepalm

I hate typing on these Dell laptop keyboards. They are too mushy.

You poor soul. You deal with people like this every day?

This... :angry: I installed an SSD in my aunties laptop because she was constantly complaining about it being slow but cant afford a new computer and now the laptop is blazing fast but obviously she can't tell the difference and now, any- and I mean ANY little thing that's different, she will blame me for breaking it somehow :mellow:

I know the feeling.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Welcome to the tech-support stream!

Just now:

Person: Help the computer isn't turning on!

Me: Did you turn on the actual computer itself?

Person: Yeah I touched the power button and it didn't work!

Me: *Reaches over and firmly push power button*

Person: YAY YOU ARE A GENIUS!

Me: Facepalm

I hate typing on these Dell laptop keyboards. They are too mushy.

Yeah, any big brand laptop has a sucky keyboard. Wait, why did he only touch the power button? That is one dumbass kid.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Yeah, any big brand laptop has a sucky keyboard.

Not my netbook. :D Or my old Compaq... I like that keyboard.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Yesterday evening, my dad decided (for no apparent reason) to charge all of the laptops since they are always flat (even though he is the one that uses them)

Anyway i come out of my office into the lounge and there are 3 laptops ON the sofa, ALL TURNED ON! - I swear they were ready to burst into flames being sat with no air for about 3 hours. (yes my parents use gaming laptops because I have a few lying around)

Im like "dad you realise you dont have to turn them on for them to charge" and hes like "yeah but you never told me it was dangerous to leave them on"  - im like, touch the bottom, they are too damn hot to touch - Plus what a waste of energy ><

Also

When my 780ti arrived (which he doesnt know the cost of) he was like "oh is that your new £200 graphics card?"....yes dad, it totally was only £200...not £500

Hes not that bad at using them but he doesnt understand them at all

Also him and my mum cannot seem to grasp the google omnibar, if they want to search they navigate to the google website instead of using the search bar - but at least they can manage to access email shop online, facebook etc without my help these days

Also they are good with the iPad I let them use and they both have iPhones they manage with so not all bad i guess

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yesterday evening, my dad decided (for no apparent reason) to charge all of the laptops since they are always flat (even though he is the one that uses them)

Anyway i come out of my office into the lounge and there are 3 laptops ON the sofa, ALL TURNED ON! - I swear they were ready to burst into flames being sat with no air for about 3 hours. (yes my parents use gaming laptops because I have a few lying around)

Im like "dad you realise you dont have to turn them on for them to charge" and hes like "yeah but you never told me it was dangerous to leave them on"  - im like, touch the bottom, they are too damn hot to touch - Plus what a waste of energy ><

Also

When my 580ti arrived (which he doesnt know the cost of) he was like "oh is that your new £200 graphics card?"....yes dad, it totally was only £200...not £500

Hes not that bad at using them but he doesnt understand them at all

Also him and my mum cannot seem to grasp the google omnibar, if they want to search they navigate to the google website instead of using the search bar - but at least they can manage to access email shop online, facebook etc without my help these days

Also they are good with the iPad I let them use and they both have iPhones they manage with so not all bad i guess

Are you sure it's a 580Ti? I'm pretty sure it's just 580, the Ti edition doesn't exist. Probably you're talking about a 550Ti or a 560Ti.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Are you sure it's a 580Ti? I'm pretty sure it's just 580, the Ti edition doesn't exist. Probably you're talking about a 550Ti or a 560Ti.

I meant my 780ti :) I will edit my post :)

EDIT: changed it above ;) so now you just look mental

I do still have an old 580 kicking around, its just sat on the side looking sad

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I meant my 780ti :) I will edit my post :)

EDIT: changed it above ;) so now you just look mental

I do still have an old 580 kicking around, its just sat on the side looking sad

There. That's better. :D

me.: Hey you know trjoans are bad right.

freind : but trojans make it faster.

me. :ever wonder why you have a diffrent wallpaper and randome websites poping up.

freind . my pc is broken

me: i wonder why...

me.: Hey you know trjoans are bad right.

freind : but trojans make it faster.

me. :ever wonder why you have a diffrent wallpaper and randome websites poping up.

freind . my pc is broken

me: i wonder why...

Where the heck did he hear that trojans make a PC faster?  :huh:

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

Last night, my mother asked me to put Breaking Bad Season 1 on the DVD player for her, I turned it on after finally skipping through episodes to find out which one she was to watch next as she had forgotten... She then called me through to her room three times; because she accidentally turned it off (She tried to pause it), I put the episode back on and went back through to play CSGO she shouted for me again, this time she tried to turn the volume up and turned the DVD player off a second time! I then went back through to continue playing my game, twenty minutes later "STEPHENNNN, STEVEEEE" This time she accidentally hit the remote and again turned it off. 

Hopeless, this is why I'm going grey at 20 years old.

Last night, my mother asked me to put Breaking Bad Season 1 on the DVD player for her, I turned it on after finally skipping through episodes to find out which one she was to watch next as she had forgotten... She then called me through to her room three times; because she accidentally turned it off (She tried to pause it), I put the episode back on and went back through to play CSGO she shouted for me again, this time she tried to turn the volume up and turned the DVD player off a second time! I then went back through to continue playing my game, twenty minutes later "STEPHENNNN, STEVEEEE" This time she accidentally hit the remote and again turned it off. 

Hopeless, this is why I'm going grey at 20 years old.

Wow. Get out of there and move far, far away. ;)

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Just my entire OLD job at pc world

customer: "hey im looking for a decent laptop for myself"

me: "well, we certainly sell laptops, what do you plan on using it for"

customer: "well just normal stuff you know"

me "...what do you consider normal"

customer: "you know just regular computer stuff"

me..... "thats helpful......why not have a look around"  - runs away and dies in a corner

or this

customer: "well i was looking for a computer with at least 8gb of ram, and a 2tb hard drive, ooh this one has 16gb"

me : "but it has a celeron, it will be slow and terrible"

customer: "but it has so much ram, ill take this one please, I also dont need any software, I dont need office or antivirus or anything, my *insert person here* works in the IT business"

- next day - oh hey, this computer is slow, also you never told me it didnt come with office and it has a virus because you didnt install an antivirus

me. FUCK OFF :) *never actually said that, just screamed it in my head*

but my favourite customer was this lady

lady "Oh i work in IT i get all my software free"

Me : thats great what do you do?

lady : "I'm a sports teacher at school"..........

FACEPALM then how the fuck are you in IT, im pretty sure teaching football isnt IT unless its pro evo

(I have thousands of these BTW)

me..... "thats helpful......why not have a look around"  - runs away and dies in a corner

or this

customer: "well i was looking for a computer with at least 8gb of ram, and a 2tb hard drive, ooh this one has 16gb"

customer: "but it has so much ram, ill take this one please, I also dont need any software, I dont need office or antivirus or anything, my *insert person here* works in the IT business"

- next day - oh hey, this computer is slow, also you never told me it didnt come with office and it has a virus because you didnt install an antivirus

FACEPALM then how the fuck are you in IT, im pretty sure teaching football isnt IT unless its pro evo

My lord. Glad you got out of there.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

or this

I really feel bad for these people who have to deal with these bullshit people. Wow, how can people get a computer when they say they don't need any software on it and then come back saying the software they didn't need is not there, but they need it. Genius. :P

My lord. Glad you got out of there.

Worked there for 7 Years, I probably have 100 stories for every day I was there

or this

Customer #2 got a virus in less than 24 hours? I have lost all hope in humanity.

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Well now you can share them all here! :D

Make a spoiler and share them all here. :D

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Damn, 13 members are reading this topic. Damn.

Make a spoiler and share them all here. :D

I will, maybe. My keyboard might set alight with hatred and hard typing

Well now you can share them all here! :D

Maybe, If i can be arsed ;) I am meant to be working

Customer #2 got a virus in less than 24 hours? I have lost all hope in humanity.

Oh that is quite common, or at least some crazy software issue

A customer last month had limewire on his pc - is that even a thing anymore?

Damn, 13 members are reading this topic. Damn.

Hi Everyone :D!

But now on a more serious note.

I just recieved an email from support.mobile@yugioh-bam.com. This email was a reply to an email that I apparently sent at 11:29 pm last night. Although I was online I did not touch my email at all so there's my first hint at a scam. The email that I apparently sent said "I am not happy. In less than a week after the new update, I lost all my data! All my cards, coins, and progress are all gone. After a reinstallment, still nothing. Please, help me!!!" I have never installed any update and I have never played YUGIOH other than the physical card game and that was years back. My second hint was the word(s) YUGIOH. I haven't played that card game since a few years back, however my older brother is OBSESSED with it and that leaves me to wonder if the email somehow came from his YUGIOH app in his iPad. Now my final hint that it's a scam is that they ask me for my ITUNES ID and my FACEBOOK PROFILE! I mean WHAT????How are these two things going to even REMOTELY help you fix this problem even if it did exist?!?!?! I can' believe that people fall for this stuff it's sad really  :( And I just noticed that in the email that I apparently sent the word re instalment is spelled wrong! Real professional. <_<

post-40263-0-66573100-1396449861.jpg

On no this review on amazon of the y510 p with sli 755Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p 15.6-Inch Laptop (59406636) Dusk Black

Fast boot up, awesome keyboard and screen

By Ruben Miranda - March 24, 2014

Amazon Verified Purchase

Bought this so my 8 year old daughter could play video games.

Turns out she only plays minecraft and some wolf game with low res graphics.

It does blow hot air out at the sides and it was uncomfortably hot to my hand as I moved the mouse.

Keyboard has a really great feel to it.

It's heavy, but you should expect that.

The drive performs very nicely. Really fast. I think it may be a hybrid.

I would recommend this without hesitation.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I have another one for you guys, was talking to an 18/yo UK girl on xbox and we were comparing xboxes when I asked her how many GB her hard drive was.

I told her that if her xbox was laying flat it should be on one of the sides and if it was vertical it should be on the top (hopefully not bottom).

She ended up picking the xbox up with internet cables and all still attached, and tilted her xbox around until she found it. Needless to say bad things happen when you tilt a CD/DVD player. Her brand new copy of COD Black ops or mw3 or whatever it was got completely wrecked. I can't rememebr if it was cracked or just really REALLY scratched. 

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H440 Blue/Black Special Edition   CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.3GHz    Cpu Cooler: Cryorig H5

Graphics Card:  Gigabyte Windforce GTX 780ti OC 3GB Stock Clock 1020MHz Boost Clock 1085MHz   Motherboard:  Asus Z97-A ATX Motherboard

RAM: 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport @ 1600MHz   Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda @ 7200rpm, 128GB SanDisk Ultra Plus SSD Audio: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Wireless Gaming Headset  Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core

My mom made a program for her co-workers and it said "press any key to continue" and all her co-workers were looking for the button that said "any"

The any key? Wha-Where's the any key? *smashes keypad* access granted. I hate computers...

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H440 Blue/Black Special Edition   CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.3GHz    Cpu Cooler: Cryorig H5

Graphics Card:  Gigabyte Windforce GTX 780ti OC 3GB Stock Clock 1020MHz Boost Clock 1085MHz   Motherboard:  Asus Z97-A ATX Motherboard

RAM: 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport @ 1600MHz   Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda @ 7200rpm, 128GB SanDisk Ultra Plus SSD Audio: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Wireless Gaming Headset  Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core

I deal with this stuff every day, so yes, I pity myself.