Experiences with non-techies

We have pentium desktops, that are filled with dust, and have the crappiest little radeon card imaginable.  It is so small , it barely is as long as the pci slot! There is also the 10 year old think pads, and the chrome books that flop around like paper, and lag while running flash games. Flash games!

Haha.  I remember using some ancient ThinkPads, when I plugged in my flash drive a little error message popped up about exceeding the USB port's power limits.

I just read a small section on technology in a reputable science magazine (BBC focus) which includes a section on "safeplug", which plugs into your router and send all the traffic through tor. Firstly, surely that must really slow everything down (more so than a vpn), and secondly, if you wanted to use tor, why pay $49 when you can just download it. Not to mention that tor isn't exactly what they should be promoting.

HTTP/2 203

I just read a small section on technology in a reputable science magazine (BBC focus) which includes a section on "safeplug", which plugs into your router and send all the traffic through tor. Firstly, surely that must really slow everything down (more so than a vpn), and secondly, if you wanted to use tor, why pay $49 when you can just download it. Not to mention that tor isn't exactly what they should be promoting.

It's still a neat idea.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

It's a cool idea because ALL data goes through it then, from your phone, from your laptop, from your tablet, and so on.  There are probably ways of getting Tor on android / windows phone / iOS, but for most people this would be WAY easier.  Then again, the group of people that Tor is aimed at is also the group of people who wouldn't mind figuring out how to just set it up manually...

I got told today that their isn't a good alternative to Norton

Yet the person who said it had a 5 year old version of AVG installed (that appeared to not have the definitions updated since it was installed)

CPU: i5-3570K Cooler: Hyper 212 Plus MB: MSI Z77MA-G45 Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM GPU: PNY GeForce GTX 770 4GB Case: Rosewill Challenger-U3 ATX PSU: Rosewill Hive 650W OS: Windows 7 Pro 64bit Monitor: ViewSonic VX2370Smh-LED Keyboard: Some Dell Keyboard Mouse: Logitech G500 Headphones: Logitech G930

This one time, my Spanish teacher was trying to load up a video on a computer with 128 MB of RAM.

So, it starts to lag and she becomes impatient!

I come up and try to explain what the problem is, but she goes into rage mode and smacks the monitor so hard it breaks!

I mean, come on, what  did the poor thing do to you?

P.S. @WinNut: This happened to him too with the same teacher!

It´s always funny to see people get mad like that, i actually do the same everytime my lap gets slow.

Then i say to myself "the f+ck you're doing! thanks god it didn't break"

Edited by NARAKU_KAT

Don't get mad, get even...

After this experience, I never let my brother near a PC, ever again.

One day, my 3 year old noticed a Core i7 on my desk. He is a food lover and can eat everything. He noticed the "chip" and proceeded to eat it. I was like, "WTF? Dumb bastard." He crushed my new Intel Core i7-4770K in half. It was partly my fault for leaving it on the desk. I am so stupid, but not as much as my brother. Geez, why can't I have techie brothers? I always have to have ones that can't even tell the difference between a flip phone and a smartphone.

May i name that one as the "i7 cookie" story?

Don't get mad, get even...

My computer teacher said that some idiots in the after-school program (he goes home by the time they come in) ran into his printer (Lexmark T630) really hard (even though it is locked down) and now the printer randomly refuses to recognize the paper tray unless you whack the printer really hard.

My computer teacher said that some idiots in the after-school program (he goes home by the time they come in) ran into his printer (Lexmark T630) really hard (even though it is locked down) and now the printer randomly refuses to recognize the paper tray unless you whack the printer really hard.

Damn.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Damn.

The side panel of the printer is buckling, he unplugged it and told me that it was now decommisioned until further notice and he had to talk to the other computer teacher/IT admin about getting a new printer.

The side panel of the printer is buckling, he unplugged it and told me that it was now decommisioned until further notice and he had to talk to the other computer teacher/IT admin about getting a new printer.

lol Can I call him a dumbass?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

lol Can I call him a dumbass?

Call the computer teacher a dumbass? No.

The printer is nearing the end of it's life, the photo-developer film is having issues, it jams up a lot, the door to the manual feeder is hanging off, the side is buckling, it randomly says "Tray 1 missing", the thing is 12 years old, and it needs a break. That thing has been abused by everybody, he said he was sick of it and that is why he decommissioned it.

That printer has served our school well. I think it's time for it to go. 

The printer is nearing the end of it's life, the photo-developer film is having issues, it jams up a lot, the door to the manual feeder is hanging off, the side is buckling, it randomly says "Tray 1 missing", the thing is 12 years old, and it needs a break. That thing has been abused by everybody, he said he was sick of it and that is why he decommissioned it.

Ok. :( I'll call the printer a poor SOB, though.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

RIP in Peace Printer....

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

RIP in Peace Printer....

Rest in peace in peace printer? lol

So my parents decided to listen to my sister and get rid of their cable, but yet yelled at me when I explained that they shouldn't expect Netflix to work great when other people are using the internet ("You just want to use the internet all for yourself")

CPU: i5-3570K Cooler: Hyper 212 Plus MB: MSI Z77MA-G45 Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM GPU: PNY GeForce GTX 770 4GB Case: Rosewill Challenger-U3 ATX PSU: Rosewill Hive 650W OS: Windows 7 Pro 64bit Monitor: ViewSonic VX2370Smh-LED Keyboard: Some Dell Keyboard Mouse: Logitech G500 Headphones: Logitech G930

Rest in peace in peace printer? lol

So my parents decided to listen to my sister and get rid of their cable, but yet yelled at me when I explained that they shouldn't expect Netflix to work great when other people are using the internet ("You just want to use the internet all for yourself")

My mom, grandma, step-dad, sister, and dad can't seem to grasp that concept.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Same here :P

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

My sister is so annoying when it comes to our internet. She spends all her time with netflix and youtube open at the same time and complains when the internet is slow for her. Even more annoying is that is the fact that she has both the router and the modem in her room (it used to be my mom's office then they swapped rooms so my sister could have a larger room) and if the wifi ever goes down (which it does frequently) I have to yell at her to fix it as she will not allow me in her room to fix it. (she is 12 so she is close to the rebellious teenager phase of life) When I do yell at her to fix it, she tells me that she is having no problems (while USING ETHERNET) and that I need to go away or what ends up happening is that she tells me that she is busy and will do it later. Keep in mind that both my mom and I use Wifi and my mom IS DOING ALL HER WORK FROM HOME. 

I don't think you can fit a loop inside an Imac.

make a super custom loop, it will probably be less efficient, but hey, its an apple, who actually gives a damn.

Nothing to see here, move along

make a super custom loop, it will probably be less efficient, but hey, its an apple, who actually gives a damn.

The loop is going to be normal except for the fact that the tubes will come out the back and be acrylic (maybe). Current plans include a 360mm rad in push cooling a cpu and gpu. Renderings will be up in 1-4 days on my build log.

The loop is going to be normal except for the fact that the tubes will come out the back and be acrylic (maybe). Current plans include a 360mm rad in push cooling a cpu and gpu. Renderings will be up in 1-4 days on my build log.

What is the link to the build log?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

This is the link: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/131898-wip-project-do-something-random-with-an-old-imac-main-teardown-big-picture-heavy/

Currently it is just the teardown. I fucking hate SketchUp. If Inventor worked on my computer, then the renderings would be up already and of much higher quality.

Link was a few pages ago.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

This is the link: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/131898-wip-project-do-something-random-with-an-old-imac-main-teardown-big-picture-heavy/

Currently it is just the teardown. I fucking hate SketchUp. If Inventor worked on my computer, then the renderings would be up already and of much higher quality.

Ahh... Thanks. I don't hate SketchUp, but I really wished they had a release out for Ubuntu-based PC's right now.

Link was a few pages ago.

9564fe76c3217049a8584411b9edaabefd20a7bb

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

My sister is so annoying when it comes to our internet. She spends all her time with netflix and youtube open at the same time and complains when the internet is slow for her. Even more annoying is that is the fact that she has both the router and the modem in her room (it used to be my mom's office then they swapped rooms so my sister could have a larger room) and if the wifi ever goes down (which it does frequently) I have to yell at her to fix it as she will not allow me in her room to fix it. (she is 12 so she is close to the rebellious teenager phase of life) When I do yell at her to fix it, she tells me that she is having no problems (while USING ETHERNET) and that I need to go away or what ends up happening is that she tells me that she is busy and will do it later. Keep in mind that both my mom and I use Wifi and my mom IS DOING ALL HER WORK FROM HOME. 

Unplug her ethernet cable someday and connect her pc through wireless. Self centered idiots like that don't deserve to have special treatment, especially if they are too much of a douche to fix it when it's not working for others...

Umm use blender... sure it's measurements aren't perfect but the program as a whole works better than Sketchup.

Ahh... Thanks. I don't hate SketchUp, but I really wished they had a release out for Ubuntu-based PC's right now.

The program itself is fine for beginners and is actually quite good. HOWEVER I am so used to Inventor and Revit that the controls for manipulating objects pisses me off. With inventor, you hold down middle mouse button to move around the object 2 dimensionally and hold shift with middle mouse button to orbit around the object. In SketchUp, it is the opposite. Also software is generally less powerful than what I'm used to using.