Experiences with non-techies

Unplug her ethernet cable someday and connect her pc through wireless. Self centered idiots like that don't deserve to have special treatment, especially if they are too much of a douche to fix it when it's not working for others...

She did that herself. I was the one who connected the ethernet cable to her laptop. When I did, she got mad at me and said "I don't care if you think it is better, I don't want wired internet, I want Wifi" or something like that. Even over the most minor things she will go full bitch mode on me. 

The program itself is fine for beginners and is actually quite good. HOWEVER I am so used to Inventor and Revit that the controls for manipulating objects pisses me off. With inventor, you hold down middle mouse button to move around the object 2 dimensionally and hold shift with middle mouse button to orbit around the object. In SketchUp, it is the opposite. Also software is generally less powerful than what I'm used to using.

I see. SketchUp is the only thing I have used (started using it for a school project, then I started to use it for my own nefarious desires).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

She did that herself. I was the one who connected the ethernet cable to her laptop. When I did, she got mad at me and said "I don't care if you think it is better, I don't want wired internet, I want Wifi" or something like that. Even over the most minor things she will go full bitch mode on me. 

Wow, WiFi deals with too much bullshit. You have to config it, and sometimes it drops. Wired you have to never deal with that shit.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Wow, WiFi deals with too much bullshit. You have to config it, and sometimes it drops. Wired you have to never deal with that shit.

Yeah but wireless>wired all the time.

Yeah but wireless>wired all the time.

But you don't have to be wired all the time, just because you use Ethernet when at home or whatever doesn't mean you can't still use WiFi some times :P

CPU: i5-3570K Cooler: Hyper 212 Plus MB: MSI Z77MA-G45 Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM GPU: PNY GeForce GTX 770 4GB Case: Rosewill Challenger-U3 ATX PSU: Rosewill Hive 650W OS: Windows 7 Pro 64bit Monitor: ViewSonic VX2370Smh-LED Keyboard: Some Dell Keyboard Mouse: Logitech G500 Headphones: Logitech G930

Even worse is that we have an older Apple Airport Extreme so its firmware, while easy to navigate, is generally useless. 

I see. SketchUp is the only thing I have used (started using it for a school project, then I started to use it for my own nefarious desires).

Try inventor. You can get all of AutoDesk's software for free if you get and Education account (also free). It is a hell of a lot more useful than SketchUp and is actually not that hard to learn. (But I was helped along by a teacher who is really good with the software)

Even worse is that we have an older Apple Airport Extreme so its firmware, while easy to navigate, is generally useless. 

Try inventor. You can get all of AutoDesk's software for free if you get and Education account (also free). It is a hell of a lot more useful than SketchUp and is actually not that hard to learn. (But I was helped along by a teacher who is really good with the software)

I'll stick to SketchUp for now (kinda got out of it when I deleted my house I'd been working on for MONTHS and I got pissed off at myself).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

The loop is going to be normal except for the fact that the tubes will come out the back and be acrylic (maybe). Current plans include a 360mm rad in push cooling a cpu and gpu. Renderings will be up in 1-4 days on my build log.

the one i am talking about is small thin tubes, and a super small custom pump, a small thin enough loop to be hidden inside the imac.

Nothing to see here, move along

I'll stick to SketchUp for now (kinda got out of it when I deleted my house I'd been working on for MONTHS and I got pissed off at myself).

One word.... Backups

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

the one i am talking about is small thin tubes, and a super small custom pump, a small thin enough loop to be hidden inside the imac.

The iMac i'm using will be widened to 3" to fit a pump res combo. If I really wanted to, I could make all the tubing internal, but that wouldn't be as fun or cool looking.

The iMac i'm using will be widened to 3" to fit a pump res combo. If I really wanted to, I could make all the tubing internal, but that wouldn't be as fun or cool looking.

Not to be mean or anything but can we take the talk about the build...to the build? That would be great :D thanks

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

If you have an old router, connect an ethernet cable from the main router to your old router and it will make another hotspot, it will be the same but with a different name and you can put a password on it, the speed will remain the same.

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

If you have an old router, connect an ethernet cable from the main router to your old router and it will make another hotspot, it will be the same but with a different name and you can put a password on it, the speed will remain the same.

While we do have one that may or may not work (I took it apart), it was TERRIBLE and dropped the wifi connection a few times a day. 

OK, one day at Fry's, I was video card shopping with my dad when I noticed some cards on sale.

Me: Ooh! I want this GTX 660Ti so bad!

Dad: Oh, it's way too expensive at 150 bucks.

Me: But, it provides great gaming power and looks shmexy.

Dad: Yeah, but it's expensive. That's the real killer. I am not spending more than 50 bucks.

Me: Then what do you have in mind? 

Dad: *points at GT 520*

Me: *facepalm* That card is the same, if not, worse than the one in my current system.

Dad: Hey, at least it's cheap, at 30 bucks.

Me: GRRRRRR. I already have a sucky card. Can I please get an upgrade?

Dad: No. This card is plenty powerful.

I just stomped out the store after the conversation. I wanted to buy the card with my own money, but dad apparently restricted what I can spend with my money. Only school crap. No games, PC parts, nothing. Heck, I can't even get a flip phone.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

While we do have one that may or may not work (I took it apart), it was TERRIBLE and dropped the wifi connection a few times a day. 

Yeah, with our old router the WiFi (And sometimes ethernet) connection would drop every time my brother played Xbox with his idiot friends (He is unable to grasp the fact that he does not need to shout every word with the microphone in front of his mouth.) so the router would need to be power cycled for it to work for everyone. If you even went near it he would jump up and attack me. My solution? Either go in the basement and flick the switch on the breaker for the family room or just go and unplug it then deal with him. But all that is over since I got my dad a good Asus router for his birthday. (RTN66U or something like that.)

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

Yeah, with our old router the WiFi (And sometimes ethernet) connection would drop every time my brother played Xbox with his idiot friends (He is unable to grasp the fact that he does not need to shout every word with the microphone in front of his mouth.) so the router would need to be power cycled for it to work for everyone. If you even went near it he would jump up and attack me. My solution? Either go in the basement and flick the switch on the breaker for the family room or just go and unplug it then deal with him. But all that is over since I got my dad a good Asus router for his birthday. (RTN66U or something like that.)

Our router used to be really bad as well, if more then 2 or 3 people were on the internet at once it would slow down (like less then 10kb/s for everyone combined) until you power cycled it, even if you waited a day or two it would still be slow until you power cycled it.

It took forever to convince my parents and sister that it didn't actually break anything to unplug it and that it could actually fix the problem (in the end I just called the ISP and let the ISP tell my parents to do it as part of the steps they always have you do)

CPU: i5-3570K Cooler: Hyper 212 Plus MB: MSI Z77MA-G45 Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM GPU: PNY GeForce GTX 770 4GB Case: Rosewill Challenger-U3 ATX PSU: Rosewill Hive 650W OS: Windows 7 Pro 64bit Monitor: ViewSonic VX2370Smh-LED Keyboard: Some Dell Keyboard Mouse: Logitech G500 Headphones: Logitech G930

After this experience, I never let my brother near a PC, ever again.

One day, my 3 year old noticed a Core i7 on my desk. He is a food lover and can eat everything. He noticed the "chip" and proceeded to eat it. I was like, "WTF? Dumb bastard." He crushed my new Intel Core i7-4770K in half. It was partly my fault for leaving it on the desk. I am so stupid, but not as much as my brother. Geez, why can't I have techie brothers? I always have to have ones that can't even tell the difference between a flip phone and a smartphone.

What do you FUCKING expect? Do you think kids with that age can differentiate a processor from a fucking Doritos chip? You just made me cringe, HARD.

People on this forum can be ignorant as FUCK that it's intolerable.

What do you FUCKING expect? Do you think kids with that age can differentiate a processor from a fucking Doritos chip? You just made me cringe, HARD.

He did mention that it was his fault for leaving it on the desk sooo your comment...what's the point?

He did mention that it was his fault for leaving it on the desk sooo your comment...what's the point?

""After this experience, I never let my brother near a PC, ever again.

One day, my 3 year old noticed a Core i7 on my desk. He is a food lover and can eat everything. He noticed the "chip" and proceeded to eat it. I was like, "WTF? Dumb bastard." He crushed my new Intel Core i7-4770K in half. It was partly my fault for leaving it on the desk. I am so stupid, but not as much as my brother. Geez, why can't I have techie brothers? I always have to have ones that can't even tell the difference between a flip phone and a smartphone.""

That's my point.

Try Blender. It's honestly much better than Sketchup and it's not very difficult to use while still having plenty of power for you to learn about :) Although it's not as simplistic as Inventor it gives you greater creative freedom. My brother's CTS class (which for some stupid reason is named devices, technologies, and innovations or something like that) has to use sketchup to make an extension to the current school building. I already know my brother's project will be the best... I'm helping him with some assets for time reasons and he's using Blender, Photoshop and CryEngine3 :D The nice thing about Blender is that once you know how to use it you can easily make awesome looking models and possibly make your own mods or join existing mods by either applying or getting invited like I was lucky enough to be ;)

One word.... Backups

This^ is the reason why I have about 10-20 copies of whatever model I am working on. Especially if I accidentally mess up without realizing I messed up until a day or so later and generally it's pretty difficult/time consuming to undue mess ups. So it's often better to just load a save before you messed up or did something you later dislike. Really though my naming pattern while I'm working on a model would be something along the lines of (modelname)1.0.blend (modelname)1.1.blend (modelname)1.2 and so on or I'd just use 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 etc. and by model name It's the name of the model so something like sword, tree, etc.

OK, one day at Fry's, I was video card shopping with my dad when I noticed some cards on sale.

Me: Ooh! I want this GTX 660Ti so bad!

Dad: Oh, it's way too expensive at 150 bucks.

Me: But, it provides great gaming power and looks shmexy.

Dad: Yeah, but it's expensive. That's the real killer. I am not spending more than 50 bucks.

Me: Then what do you have in mind? 

Dad: *points at GT 520*

Me: *facepalm* That card is the same, if not, worse than the one in my current system.

Dad: Hey, at least it's cheap, at 30 bucks.

Me: GRRRRRR. I already have a sucky card. Can I please get an upgrade?

Dad: No. This card is plenty powerful.

I just stomped out the store after the conversation. I wanted to buy the card with my own money, but dad apparently restricted what I can spend with my money. Only school crap. No games, PC parts, nothing. Heck, I can't even get a flip phone.

Back when I was building my build I had similar issues. (That was about 3 years ago) Yet even today my dad still laughs at cards that cost more than 300-400 bucks even if they were 780ti's :( At least my dad can be reasoned with and I am capable of usually explaining stuff to him fairly well...

Also you could try to make up a story of how having a better GPU will increase your computer's speed and with black magic and blood sacrifices to Gaben would help increase your ability to do well at school :P Okay maybe don't use that story but make something up. Works well if you say start doing video editing or modeling and force him to sit with you for the entire time that the video or scene is rendering. (Not that I tried that yet and I'd suggest using a movie since if he doesn't like games he will likely not consider modeling a viable career choice) Nevertheless nontechies are generally stupid and can be manipulated to do what we want fairly well based on my experiences...

My dad does the same exact thing whenever he sees me watching gameplay videos. I don't ever tell him that I'm watching a video as he would probably find it weird that I'm watching someone play a game instead if playing it myself.

YAY ACE ;)

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Welcome to the tech-support stream!

Just now:

Person: Help the computer isn't turning on!

Me: Did you turn on the actual computer itself?

Person: Yeah I touched the power button and it didn't work!

Me: *Reaches over and firmly push power button*

Person: YAY YOU ARE A GENIUS!

Me: Facepalm

I hate typing on these Dell laptop keyboards. They are too mushy.

Rwa, on 16 Jan 2013 - 8:40 PM, said:Rwa, on 16 Jan 2013 - 8:40 PM, said:Rwa, on 16 Jan 2013 - 8:40 PM, said:

So, here's my experiences, that I can come to think of now:

- After I've fixed a computer for a friend or relative, they always blame me for every future problem.

This... :angry: I installed an SSD in my aunties laptop because she was constantly complaining about it being slow but cant afford a new computer and now the laptop is blazing fast but obviously she can't tell the difference and now, any- and I mean ANY little thing that's different, she will blame me for breaking it somehow :mellow:

One word.... Backups

I know. :( They took too long to save, so I decided to stop making them.

Don't be so fucking rude. My lord.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler