Experiences with non-techies

We have lenovo thinkcentre all in ones and lenovo thinkpads. The ones in the tech room are nicer and have bigger 1080p screens. Useless touch for windows 7

The others are less than 1080p

I hate the win7 touch implementation it's horrible. 

We have lenovo thinkcentre all in ones and lenovo thinkpads. The ones in the tech room are nicer and have bigger 1080p screens. Useless touch for windows 7

The others are less than 1080p

We have crappy Samsung X303? series craptops. Slower than balls, but at least I use my personal Google account on it, so I have all of my crap, and I'm in the beta channel. :P Our Dells have 1366x768 19" monitors. Our Macs beat them in Windows performance. :(

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

We have crappy Samsung X303? series craptops. Slower than balls, but at least I use my personal Google account on it, so I have all of my crap, and I'm in the beta channel. :P Our Dells have 1366x768 19" monitors. Our Macs beat them in Windows performance. :(

How did you rate the macs in the windows performance without a virtual machine.

How did you rate the macs in the windows performance without a virtual machine.

BootCamp.

EDIT: We have Windows 7 Enterprise running alongside Snow Lepoard.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

So you did have a Virtual Machine?

No. BootCamp is basically dual-booting Windows with Intel-based Macs.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

No. BootCamp is basically dual-booting Windows with Intel-based Macs.

I don't think Apple uses AMD CPUs at all.

I don't think Apple uses AMD CPUs at all.

Our iMacs have Core 2 Duo E7500?'s in them.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Mom couldn't log in on her user acc. in Windows 7. I said that if you really need to access your computer right now I might have to delete your account. Do you have anything on there that I should move onto an external drive just in case?

'No no no! My Facebook and my e-mail are on there! I can't get my bills without my e-mail!'

I tried to simply explain that her Facebook and e-mail accounts wouldn't get deleted if I deleted her user account on Windows.

She continiues cooking and a moment later I said: 'Alright, I deleted your old user account and made a new one, the photos you had are still on it.'

'MY FACEBOOK AND E-MAIL AND ALL MY PASSWORDS ARE GONE WHY DID YOU DELETE THEM!?!'

Then proceeded to explain that nothing happened.

She also thought that if I made a new Windows user acc. with a new passwords then all her other passwords would get changed.

Mom couldn't log in on her user acc. in Windows 7. I said that if you really need to access your computer right now I might have to delete your account. Do you have anything on there that I should move onto an external drive just in case?

'No no no! My Facebook and my e-mail are on there! I can't get my bills without my e-mail!'

I tried to simply explain that her Facebook and e-mail accounts wouldn't get deleted if I deleted her user account on Windows.

She continiues cooking and a moment later I said: 'Alright, I deleted your old user account and made a new one, the photos you had are still on it.'

'MY FACEBOOK AND E-MAIL AND ALL MY PASSWORDS ARE GONE WHY DID YOU DELETE THEM!?!'

She also thought that if I made a new Windows user acc. with a new passwords then all her other passwords would get changed.

I know what it's like. It hurts a little when I had to go over that with my mom when I did a new OS on her netbook.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

We have Macbook Pro's with a 2.4GHz i5's, and some really weird sub 1080p resolution, and Intel onboard graphics.  They work pretty good, except everything is looked down, like we can't even add and remove apps from the bar at the bottom  :(

That and it takes like 10 minutes to render 15 seconds of 1080p footage in After Effects / Premier (and then it's displayed with black bars)

As I'm sure we've all encountered (and someone probably posted here) people go to the omnibar in Chrome and search for Google. Which annoys the mess outtta me. 

It bugs me so badly when people do that, or in firefox when they use the google search bar instead of the URL bar, or when they always google urls.  Or when someone goes to google.com instead of using the google search bar (I mean, even if I want to do something else on google, such as maps, I'll either type in a one letter search into omnibar or just go to maps.google.com lol)

CPU: i5-3570K Cooler: Hyper 212 Plus MB: MSI Z77MA-G45 Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM GPU: PNY GeForce GTX 770 4GB Case: Rosewill Challenger-U3 ATX PSU: Rosewill Hive 650W OS: Windows 7 Pro 64bit Monitor: ViewSonic VX2370Smh-LED Keyboard: Some Dell Keyboard Mouse: Logitech G500 Headphones: Logitech G930

In all fairness, you're the noob here. You didn't have to delete her user account at all and a simple google search on your part would have saved this whole story from happening.

Tired of hearing people say you can't install OS X on AMD hardware. Educate yourself.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/138853-just-got-myself-into-a-fully-working-hackintosh-amd-no-less/

We have Macbook Pro's with a 2.4GHz i5's, and some really weird sub 1080p resolution, and Intel onboard graphics.  They work pretty good, except everything is looked down, like we can't even add and remove apps from the bar at the bottom  :(

That and it takes like 10 minutes to render 15 seconds of 1080p footage in After Effects / Premier (and then it's displayed with black bars)

It bugs me so badly when people do that, or in firefox when they use the google search bar instead of the URL bar, or when they always google urls.  Or when someone goes to google.com instead of using the google search bar (I mean, even if I want to do something else on google, such as maps, I'll either type in a one letter search into omnibar or just go to maps.google.com lol)

No, thats fine, around a year ago thats what you had to do...

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

In all fairness, you're the noob here. You didn't have to delete her user account at all and a simple google search on your part would have saved this whole story from happening.

So what if he's a noob HERE. That doesn't necessarily mean anything. Also maybe he just wanted to delete the acc. as a quick fix and didn't have time for anything else. That comment was kinda mean

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

So what if he's a noob HERE. That doesn't necessarily mean anything. Also maybe he just wanted to delete the acc. as a quick fix and didn't have time for anything else. That comment was kinda mean

What I said had nothing to do with his standing on this site. He made a noob mistake. He deleted his mother's user account when he could have reset the password in under 5 minutes, people like him shouldnt be 'helping' other people with their computers.

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

Tired of hearing people say you can't install OS X on AMD hardware. Educate yourself.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/138853-just-got-myself-into-a-fully-working-hackintosh-amd-no-less/

What I said had nothing to do with his standing on this site. He made a noob mistake. He deleted his mother's user account when he could have reset the password in under 5 minutes, people like him shouldnt be 'helping' other people with their computers.

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

Well your comment was still unnecessary and mean.

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Not sure if this really goes here, but i'll do it anyways, apple prices. these are some prices of apple components and products compared to others.

RAM: normal ram is $60-80 for 8gb, apple is $200 for 8gb

Monitor: 2560x1440 standard monitor $300-$600, for apple it is $1000

$1500 laptop: lenovo yoga 2 ($1500 version on website), the macbook pro retina 13 inch. the lenovo has better or the same specs, a touch screen, and can be an almost tablet.

$2600 laptop: new razer blade 14 (with 512gb ssd),{ macbook pro retina 15 inch}. the razer is $100 more, but it has a dedicated gpu, and looks even better than the mbp.

Small tablet: either nexus 7 or lg g pad 8.3, {ipad mini retina}. both androids are cheaper, and around as good. the nexus 7 is slightly worse, but 1/2 the cost.

Large tablet: sony tablet z2, nexus 10, samsung tab pro 10.1, {ipad air}. all are similar price (besides nexus 10), all have better resolution, around as fast.

Smartphone: htc one (m8) or xperia z1 compact or moto x , {Iphone 5s}. the one and z1 have as good build quality as the iphone, the moto x and z1 are almost as small as the iphone, all are higher resolution, moto x is 1/2 cost of Iphone, z1 is waterproof, m8 and z1 have micro sd.

Well your comment was still unnecessary and mean.

Bite me... told him what he did wrong and how to not do it again. I'm more helpful than the 5 people who liked his post without informing him the error of his ways.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being a noob unless you deny it.

Bite me... told him what he did wrong and how to not do it again. I'm more helpful than the 5 people who liked his post without informing him the error of his ways.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being a noob unless you deny it.

Well aren't you a little bitch. I'm done with this conversation because it's obviously gonna go nowhere. Please don't post a reply to this because the thread is already a little too OT right now.

Too bad I don't have any stories to share otherwise I would.

He did say "need to access your computer right now", I'm sure he was just thinking it was the fastest way of doing it (which I would also), though I personally would have just temporarily created a new account and then fixed it later

edit: should have noted there was a new page lol

Not sure if this really goes here, but i'll do it anyways, apple prices. these are some prices of apple components and products compared to others.

RAM: normal ram is $60-80 for 8gb, apple is $200 for 8gb

Monitor: 2560x1440 standard monitor $300-$600, for apple it is $1000

$1500 laptop: lenovo yoga 2 ($1500 version on website), the macbook pro retina 13 inch. the lenovo has better or the same specs, a touch screen, and can be an almost tablet.

$2600 laptop: new razer blade 14 (with 512gb ssd),{ macbook pro retina 15 inch}. the razer is $100 more, but it has a dedicated gpu, and looks even better than the mbp.

Small tablet: either nexus 7 or lg g pad 8.3, {ipad mini retina}. both androids are cheaper, and around as good. the nexus 7 is slightly worse, but 1/2 the cost.

Large tablet: sony tablet z2, nexus 10, samsung tab pro 10.1, {ipad air}. all are similar price (besides nexus 10), all have better resolution, around as fast.

Smartphone: htc one (m8) or xperia z1 compact or moto x , {Iphone 5s}. the one and z1 have as good build quality as the iphone, the moto x and z1 are almost as small as the iphone, all are higher resolution, moto x is 1/2 cost of Iphone, z1 is waterproof, m8 and z1 have micro sd.

Some of their prices are decent enough, but I would say 80% of them are way to high (it's like alienware, you pretty much take the cost of the parts and add $500-$1000)

CPU: i5-3570K Cooler: Hyper 212 Plus MB: MSI Z77MA-G45 Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM GPU: PNY GeForce GTX 770 4GB Case: Rosewill Challenger-U3 ATX PSU: Rosewill Hive 650W OS: Windows 7 Pro 64bit Monitor: ViewSonic VX2370Smh-LED Keyboard: Some Dell Keyboard Mouse: Logitech G500 Headphones: Logitech G930

We have crappy Samsung X303? series craptops. Slower than balls, but at least I use my personal Google account on it, so I have all of my crap, and I'm in the beta channel. :P Our Dells have 1366x768 19" monitors. Our Macs beat them in Windows performance. 

My school uses old dell latitude netbooks with retardedly slow atoms on them (from 2007) and is slowly switching to HP Chromebooks. For desktops, there is a mixture of old Dell Optiplex 790s (i think) with core 2 duos and 40 gb hard drives and newer Dell Optiplex 390s with sandy bridge i3s. Both are used with integrated graphics. The newer ones are used for CAD works and are really damn slow.

Actual story:

playing bf4 with a friend from LTT.

Says he gets drops to 0 fps and rants (but usually 30 fps, so its not hopeless)

I do some basic troubleshooting rela fast (cpu bottleneck)

*finds a process taking 10%+ of his cpu usage*

'' Gotta stop optimizing optimizing optimizing! just should wai tto get new hardware (still saving up) ''

Nice time to lose patience. quote with hardcore facepalm http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Facepalm_3fd6bd_2956633.jpg

He is not hopeless still.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

A couple years ago my mom got a phone that had the Bump feature (Samsung I believe) and she thought she could Bump to any other electronic device including laptops. I walked into her house one day and she was bumping it up against the laptop screen :lol:. I was done.

"Do not pray for and easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."

"A place where everything and nothing exists, this is my playground."

A couple years ago my mom got a phone that had the Bump feature (Samsung I believe) and she thought she could Bump to any other electronic device including laptops. I walked into her house one day and she was bumping it up against the laptop screen :lol:. I was done.

lol I bet it was pretty damn funny to watch.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler