Experiences with non-techies

My mom thinks my 25" ultrawide in Portrait mode is cool. Told me that I should get another one and do the same on the other side. 🙃 

I was like, I got the blessing. I might do that at some point, because why have two ultrawides when you can have three? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

My mom thinks my 25" ultrawide in Portrait mode is cool. Told me that I should get another one and do the same on the other side. 🙃 

I was like, I got the blessing. I might do that at some point, because why have two ultrawides when you can have three? 

My mom saw my 27" 16:9 and thought it was too big hahaha 'why do you need a screen so big?' I really didn't have a good answer other than it's a nice screen.

7 minutes ago, Bitter said:

My mom saw my 27" 16:9 and thought it was too big hahaha 'why do you need a screen so big?' I really didn't have a good answer other than it's a nice screen.

Haha I have 2 32” 4K 16:9 screens if yours is big mine must be ridiculous haha. 

People see my monitor setup and just shake their heads. They don’t get it. They’ll never get it.

We’re a special breed and there will never be enough monitor space!

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

System: R9-5950x, ASUS X570-Pro, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070s. 32GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz.

1 hour ago, William Payne said:

Haha I have 2 32” 4K 16:9 screens if yours is big mine must be ridiculous haha. 

Pretty sure she thought the same of my previous double Trinitron a long time ago and then double FP93GX .

9 hours ago, Bitter said:

She needs to see my 49" TV used as monitor...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

12 hours ago, Sprawlie said:

People see my monitor setup and just shake their heads. They don’t get it. They’ll never get it.

We’re a special breed and there will never be enough monitor space!

People always ask me what that “old box tv” on my desk is… It’s a Trinitron Ultrascan that looks better than whatever crappy lcd your laptop has, excuse me…

Well if people dare to comment on my 3x 24"1080p monitors i ask them the size of their TV.
And then ask, well who's compensating now. You 50" big boi you. 😆

Anyone that says its to big has shit for brains. 😉
Multi monitor for life yo!

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

6 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Multi monitor for life yo!

I used to think that.  But 1 is fine--provided it's big enough (that's what she said).

*laughs in 40"*

3 minutes ago, IPD said:

I used to think that.  But 1 is fine--provided it's big enough (that's what she said).

*laughs in 40"*

Disagrees is ultra ultra wide with bezels. 😄

15 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Disagrees is ultra ultra wide with bezels. 😄

unless you are 20" or larger vertical, on one monitor, without portrait mode--I'll pass.

4 minutes ago, IPD said:

unless you are 20" or larger vertical, on one monitor, without portrait mode--I'll pass.

Meh looking up would just make me neck hurt. Thats just silly.

you just need to put everything on swivel arms 😛

/me says in 2 x 34" UWD and a 40" 4k display.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

3 minutes ago, Sprawlie said:

you just need to put everything on swivel arms 😛

/me says in 2 x 34" UWD and a 40" 4k display.

Oh for sure, fully swivel rotating arms with height adjustment.

Once you get used to monitor arms (that connect on the back of the desk or wall) that make such room on the desk you never want to be without!

Just now, HanZie82 said:

Oh for sure, fully swivel rotating arms with height adjustment.

Once you get used to monitor arms (that connect on the back of the desk or wall) that make such room on the desk you never want to be without!

It was the best thing I've done for my comfort around my home office. Gave me a lot of options for changing positions of monitors. when I'm working for example, I will have one with documentation open in vertical orietation for maximum text on the screen. but then can put them side by side for super wide desktop. Or I can stack one on top of the other for tall. (with the 3, it's really tall). plus it's a standing desk so moving monitor height/positions helps. It allows me to also swivel one over to my homelab when I need to spread displays across devices.

found some on ebay with even longer arms than usual and it's allowed me an insane amount of movement if I need it. Never going back to having a stand waste space on my desk

I just realized that my sister is the only one in my family who tends to distrust me for tech advice.

Everyone else comes to me for help because my dad is usually working.

But no, "I know how to do it" proceeds to print 50 pages of the same thing

elephants

On 1/12/2022 at 5:45 PM, CommanderAlex said:

Anyone else still have landlines?? 

yes. 😞

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

1 minute ago, tkitch said:

recreation of something that happened on discord.....

Did you know those fit fucking PERFECTLY?!

Brings a whole new meaning to "SATA M.2 drive"

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

11 hours ago, Kilrah said:

She needs to see my 49" TV used as monitor...

I have a HTPC for my 40" TV. I got 40" because it was the same vertical as my 27" 4:3 tube TV I had before. I've been mulling over getting a bigger TV but I would need to reorganize things a lot and would probably rebuild the HTPC with a case that looks more like a receiver than a computer. I just haven't had incentive, 1080p looks ok enough to me. It's higher refresh and HDR that would push me to upgrade but those aren't quite there yet for me.

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I have a HTPC for my 40" TV. I got 40" because it was the same vertical as my 27" 4:3 tube TV I had before. I've been mulling over getting a bigger TV but I would need to reorganize things a lot and would probably rebuild the HTPC with a case that looks more like a receiver than a computer. I just haven't had incentive, 1080p looks ok enough to me. It's higher refresh and HDR that would push me to upgrade but those aren't quite there yet for me.

I still have a 720p 32” TV. I haven’t upgraded because I don’t see much value in 4K. We have a 1.2TB data cap and we come close most months. I don’t feel like dealing with Blurays and I don’t sub to any 4K streaming service besides prime. As Netflix 4K plan is too expensive. Eventually I might upgrade to get more HDMI ports. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

20 hours ago, Bitter said:

Oh. 

Spoiler

20211210_174629_HDR.jpg

I fell into the "I like to have everything open at once" trap.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

51 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Did you know those fit fucking PERFECTLY?!

Yes, someone actually posted a troubleshooting thread here where it turned out they had done that...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2